PDA

View Full Version : 25 years ago is happening now...somewhat

SteelClip49
11/26/2008, 01:07 PM
There was this chaotic ending on who would be the 1983 national champion.

Auburn beat Florida and Georgia.

Auburn's only loss was to Texas.

Texas' only loss was to Georgia (Cotton Bowl).

Miami's only loss was to Florida, 28-3--first game of the season.

Obviously Auburn was going to be crowned the national champion with a win over Michigan in the Sugar Bowl.

But there was this Miami/Nebraska Orange Bowl showdown. Miami was #5 and Nebraska was #1 and the Huskers fielded one of the best offenses in CFB history. (Keep in mind Auburn was #3).

Auburn defeated Michigan, 9-7. Miami defeated Nebraska, 31-30.

Miami won the national title based on who they beat and how exciting the game was considering the hype behind it.

The point is... #3 Oklahoma is at #12 Oklahoma State while #2 Texas is at Texas A&M. Despite the loss to Texas, Oklahoma knows this but they need to go in and make the case they are worthy of going in over Texas. In this case, winning a close game is not an option because that would favor Texas. A 21+ point victory on the road against a top 15 team would do wonders obviously.

Forget Miami losing miserably to Florida in early 1983 and that Auburn beat Florida....make the winner of the Miami/Nebraska game the national champion. Considering Oklahoma is in a similar situation....keep the hype up with the intensity that was shwon against Texas Tech and prove why Oklahoma is the rightful champion of the Big 12 South. Both Texas and Oklahoma can win and one will have to convince many who the deserving champion is despite who beat who early on.

Gotta love it.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2008, 01:14 PM
My brain hurts - I'm going to take a nap.

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 01:16 PM
The Miami-Nebraska game was one of the best I've ever watched. I can still see that 2-point conversion pass falling incomplete. Helluva game.

SteelClip49
11/26/2008, 01:20 PM
keep in mind though, that is just an example. Miami/Nebraska is 2008 Oklahoma/Oklahoma State while Auburn/Michigan is 2008 Texas/Texas A&M. It will come down to votes and technology to who will decide the Big 12 South title.