PDA

View Full Version : SEC defense great ?Or SEC qbs suck?

stoopified
11/26/2008, 10:16 AM
That question has come to mind watching LSU-Ole Miss.I decided to check SEC qb stats and compare them to Big 12 qbs.

PE ranking -QB/School- ypg ranking

SEC-

(5) -Tebow /UF( - )

(16)-Stafford/UGa -(17)

(32) Snead /Ole Miss(-)

(-) Dick/Ark. (25)

Big 12-

(2) Bradford/OU (3)

(3) Robinson/oSu (34)

(4) McCoy/UT (11)

(6) Daqniel/Missou (4)

(8) Harrell/T.Tech (1)

(14) Ganz/Nebraska (12)

(21) Reising/KU (9)

(25) Griffin/BU (-)

(30) Johnson/aTm (44)

(33) Freeman/KSU (19)

(-) Arnaud/ISU (28)

As you can see the SEC has 4 QBs ranked in the TOP 40 in either Passing Efficency(PE0 or Yards per game(YPG),1 ranked in both.On the other hand the Big 12 has ELEVEN QBs ranked in the Top 40 in PE or YPG,9 of them ranked in both.

Completely missing from the Top 40 in either PE or YPG is J.Parker-Wilson of #1 Alabama.

So there you have it,the ultimate chicken and egg question;Are Big 12 QBs so good because the defense sucks or do the defenses suck because the QBs are so good ?

Likewise are the SEC defenses that good or do the QBs suck that bad?

My conclusion based on watching SEC and Big 12 football is that the difference is clearly the QBs.

Iam4OUru
11/26/2008, 10:18 AM
Except for UF, SEC offenses suck.

boomermagic
11/26/2008, 11:05 AM
I doubt any sec team could have played better defense against TT than we did saturday night.. We haven't played bad all season on defense but now that some of our new guys have gotten a little experience I think we are probably as good as anyone and better than most..

The_Red_Patriot
11/26/2008, 11:08 AM
I have watched a good amount of SEC football this year and thought the same.

Florida is good but damn the rest of the conference's qb's and offensive schemes are pretty lame.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2008, 11:17 AM
The difference between the SEC teams this year is Bama's O-Line..QB doesn't need to do much, because they have 2 or 3 good backs and the best O-Line in the country.

That being said, everybody got on Bama's sack for beating Clemson early..not so impressive now...beating Georgia...not impressive...beating LSU...who cares...

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 01:13 PM
My own take: SEC defenses are pretty good. They look even better because the offenses this season aren't great. Except Florida...this season they're sorta like the USC of the SEC. The rest of the conference is down a bit this year, for whatever reasons. They beat each other up (a la the Pac 10) because they're all about the same level.

I think they'd win most matchups with a lot of teams, though, but they'd be defensive struggles for the most part.

SoonerLB
11/26/2008, 01:50 PM
SEC defenses may be good, but they are in NO way better than those of the Big 12. They just get that rep because they rarely get tested by a good offense, whereas Big 12 defenses get tested routinely.
The SEC is not one bit better than the Big 12, period! End of story!
Is it obvious I am sick of hearing about the SEC? It's those bastages at ESPN I tell ya, they have about pushed me over the edge. I'll go chill now.
Have a happy and safe Turkey Day everyone! Cya!

bcgvh
11/26/2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah, Florida is really showing everyone how "great" those SEC defense are.....lol!!!

JLEW1818
11/26/2008, 02:08 PM
They have average defenses and horrible offenses, excluding Florida.

Like somebody said the other day, all of the SEC teams run the ball like 85% of the time. Florida is a little different.

stoopified
11/26/2008, 03:27 PM
They have average defenses and horrible offenses, excluding Florida.

Like somebody said the other day, all of the SEC teams run the ball like 85% of the time. Florida is a little different.I looked up the rushing stats and have to say that while the Big 12 is CLEARLY the superior passing league they are also basically even with the SEC rushing the ball.

Team -rush offense rank:

SEC:

UF - 11

S.Miss - 21

Alabama - 23

OleMiss - 32

LSU - 44

Big 12:

oSu - 8

OU - 19

Baylor - 26

UT - 36

NU - 37

Missou - -48

I think based on this it is not a stretch to say that the SEC offenses suck not just the qbs.

oumartin
11/26/2008, 03:41 PM
yep, SEC qbs suck minus Tebow and I am not impressed with them defensively either.. troy scored 30 something on LSU.

Johnny Utah
11/26/2008, 10:44 PM
We can say (or write) all we want to about the SEC (and I'm as guilty as anybody). However, like it or not an SEC team has won the last 2 MNC games ... time to prove it on the field and shut all the SEC homers up!