PDA

View Full Version : Split National Championship

MiccoMacey
11/26/2008, 02:38 AM
And it's a very probable idea, even if there are still some things that have to happen.

Assume some things that are more probable than not:

Bama beats Auburn
Florida beats Florida State
Tech beats Lubbock
Texas beats A&M
OU beats OSU

So far, very realistic and what most are predicting. UF-FSU is probably the most likely upset of those, but I think it's still a longshot.

Assume OU gets the nod over Texas and plays in the CCG, and beats Missouri. OU beats Florida/'Bama for the National Championship. Texas wins their BCS Bowl (assumedly the Fiesta Bowl).

That would put OU #1 in the BCS automatically. But the AP could just as easily give their National Championship to Texas since they beat OU head to head. If for nothing else than to stick it to the BCS.

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 02:43 AM
Seems possible but really unlikely this year. If AP has OU higher now, don't know why they wouldn't still after OU passed the additional tests of OSU/Mizzou/SEC champ, and assuming Texas would get the chance to beat (ugh) Utah in the Fiesta.

MiccoMacey
11/26/2008, 02:56 AM
I think the voters would do anything they could to undermine the BCS. Voting Texas as their champion would be a huge slap in the face of the BCS.

And, once you're looking at ONLY Texas or OU, why wouldn't they put Texas ahead of OU? I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that. If Tech wasn't in the race right now, it'd be clear that Texas deserves to be ahead of OU. I don't think Tech will be able to rear its ugly head into the equation come January 9th (or whenever).

BTW, I like this form of debate much better. I pretty much don't like smack talk or stuff like that. I'd much rather be cordial.

I'll retract my sarcastic remark at the end of the other thread.

Crucifax Autumn
11/26/2008, 03:11 AM
Not gonna happen unless the AP is still whining like a bitch about being kicked out for this kinda thing.

TMcGee86
11/26/2008, 10:36 AM
Lubbock cannot be beaten.

It's too powerful.

TMcGee86
11/26/2008, 10:40 AM
I think it could just as easily work in reverse. UT somehow stays ahead of OU despite everyone winning out. The BCS point differential is .001

UT plays Florida and barely wins or barely loses.

OU goes to Fiesta and plays USC and blows them teh **** out.

AP votes OU #1.

SteelClip49
11/26/2008, 10:58 AM
not so sure about that considering the fuss about 1978. Both USC and Alabama finished with 1 loss. Alabama's loss was to USC in Birmingham. Alabama won the AP and USC won the UPI.

soonermeteor
12/3/2008, 01:31 AM
Texas could still be crowned AP's national
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/12/02/texas.split.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- The best chance Texas has to be crowned national champion this season likely lies with the members of the media who vote in The Associated Press college football poll.

The Longhorns are the latest team to feel slighted by the Bowl Championship Series, though the twist this time was coach Mack Brown's team has the Big 12 to blame as much as the BCS standings.

Oklahoma, which lost 45-35 to Texas in October, slipped ahead of the Longhorns in the latest BCS standings and earned a spot in the Big 12 title game against Missouri on Saturday.

The Big 12 had to go to its fifth tiebreaker, best BCS ranking, to break a three-way tie in its South Division between Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech. All had 11-1 records. Oklahoma beat Texas Tech and Texas Tech beat Texas.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the conference will reassess the tiebreaker in the offseason.

"Any tiebreaker system is difficult and will leave teams disappointed," he said. "When the tiebreaker was written I was not in the league but they wanted to put in the team that had the best chance to play in the national championship game."

The tiebreaker not only put the Sooners in position to win the league championship, but a win against Missouri virtually guarantees Oklahoma a spot in the BCS national title game in Miami on Jan. 8 against the winner of the Southeastern Conference championship.

But Texas still has hope.

"There is a lot left out there to play for and crazy things happen all the time in college football so who knows where we'll end up," Longhorns quarterback Colt McCoy said late Sunday night.

If Missouri beats Oklahoma, Texas is the presumptive next-in-line to reach the BCS title game. The Tigers (9-3) don't seem to be up to the task of stopping the Sooners, who have scored at least 60 points in their last four games.

Missouri is a 17-point underdog, and its only two losses last season were to Oklahoma.

Depending on the Tigers leaves the Longhorns a long shot to get to Miami.

Texas might be better off turning its attention to the AP poll.

If Alabama were to win the BCS title game, the Tide would be undefeated and undisputed national champs. Florida goes into the SEC title game ranked second in the AP poll, so logic dictates the Gators would jump to No. 1 by beating the Tide and stay there if they win the BCS championship game.

Texas was No. 3 in the last AP Top 25, ahead of Oklahoma by eight points. Unlike USA Today coaches' poll voters, who are required to put the BCS championship game winner No. 1 on their final ballots, the 65 AP voters don't have to put the winner of that game on top of their final ballots.

So if Oklahoma wins out, and Texas wins its bowl game, presumably the Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State or maybe Utah, do the 40 AP voters who had Texas ahead of Oklahoma last week -- most by one spot-- keep the Longhorns ahead of the Sooners when the final poll comes out in the wee hours of the morning on Jan. 9?

The answer, of course, is maybe.

"It's possible I could vote Texas No. 1, but it's far too early to say," Tom Keegan of the Lawrence Journal World in Nebraska said in an e-mail to the AP. "I had Texas No. 2, Oklahoma No. 3 and it was a tough call. They are so close in my mind that whichever team plays better from this point forward likely will be the one I rank higher."

Several other voters had similar answers.

"I would look at it as co-national championship games," Doug Segrest of The Birmingham News said, referring to the BCS title game and the Fiesta Bowl.

At least two voters, Craig James of ABC and Randy Rosetta of the Baton Rouge Advocate in Louisiana, said if Oklahoma and Texas each win their remaining games, they would keep the Longhorns in front of the Sooners because of what happened at the Cotton Bowl on Oct. 11.

"Sure OU will have beaten (Missouri), but so did Texas convincingly," James said in an e-mail. "Then, both schools will have beaten strong competition in their bowl game. So, I can't get past the head-to-head victory by the Longhorns. I don't have to guess or assume anything."

Glenn Guilbeau of the Gannett Louisiana News Service said he felt Texas deserved the nod over Oklahoma in the Big 12 tiebreaker, but he'd be inclined not to hold it against Oklahoma if the Sooners went on to beat Florida or Alabama.

"Two wrongs," he said in an e-mail, "don't make a right."

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Sooner02
12/3/2008, 06:47 AM
At least two voters, Craig James of ABC and Randy Rosetta of the Baton Rouge Advocate in Louisiana, said if Oklahoma and Texas each win their remaining games, they would keep the Longhorns in front of the Sooners because of what happened at the Cotton Bowl on Oct. 11.
Thanks Craig James. I'm so sure you would do the same for Oklahoma if Texas was in this position. Takes a small person to penalize a team for winning a championship. Where can we vote you the most classless media asshat of the year?

Jacie
12/3/2008, 07:14 AM
Unfortunately, this is a very real possibility given that some high profile AP voters have publically stated they will vote Texas #1 (games haven't even been played yet!). Those of you with short memories forget that SUC claimed the first of their so-called three peat championships (thank goodness that one went down in flames) from an AP vote. On the plus side . . . nah, there is no plus side. The Texas idiots would still be screaming about it even if they do get some kind of AP Nashinul Champeenship trophy. Screw em!

Texas fans = crybabies

stoops the eternal pimp
12/3/2008, 09:43 AM
I could careless what the AP does..When there is an AP championship game I will care

SoonerStormchaser
12/3/2008, 09:49 AM
IT

WILL

NOT

HAPPEN!

PERIOD

SoonersEnFuego
12/3/2008, 09:52 AM
Lubbock cannot be beaten.

It's too powerful.
Classic!