PDA

View Full Version : Joey Halzle

setem
11/26/2008, 12:02 AM
A friend of mine said that he read somewhere Halzle could be a first round/early second round pick in the NFL Draft.

I mean if Matt Cassel a career college bench warmer can make it in the NFL why not Joey?

He has a quick release, good accuracy for not playing much and he is pretty elusive. He did a damn fine job against TT last year and almost won that game without even getting warmed up. I think he could be a late 2nd round or a 3rd round guy.

Discuss...

Curly Bill
11/26/2008, 12:04 AM
Absolutely no way.

given a free agent chance at best

SoonerStormchaser
11/26/2008, 12:09 AM
http://www.bsflag.com/Components/BS_Flag_Product.jpg

Curly Bill
11/26/2008, 12:11 AM
Someone brought this up on here a few weeks ago...

...I was stunned.

DarrellZero
11/26/2008, 12:13 AM
Free agent? Possible.

Drafted? No.

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 12:30 AM
Having Halzle even as our backup scares me to death, I'm sure he's a nice guy but he just doesn't have it. I do wish him well though and would be very pleasantly surprised at NFL success.

mjhurani
11/26/2008, 12:33 AM
1% chance of being drafted in the first 2 rounds. Of course, if he goes to the NFL combines and wows them that could be a different story. That's why I said 1% chance. Presumably, Matt Cassell's success as guy who never started in college might open some doors for future college back-ups as NFL teams might be more open-minded towards them.

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/26/2008, 12:42 AM
Matt Cassel went in the seventh round. Heupel went in the sixth. Jason White wasn't drafted, period.

If the two greatest QBs in OU history couldn't get out of the draft cellar, why on EARTH would Halzle, especially with zero experience as a starter, and whose primary job since Day 1 has always been to be a quality backup???

I'm not saying he couldn't pull a Cassel, or a Tony Romo even. But be a high draft pick? There's a better chance of SicEm getting struck by lightning while having sex after he won the lottery.

PDXsooner
11/26/2008, 12:42 AM
No chance

PDXsooner
11/26/2008, 12:43 AM
http://www.bsflag.com/Components/BS_Flag_Product.jpg

ha ha - that's some funny sheet

snp
11/26/2008, 01:35 AM
Please don't breed.

soonermix
11/26/2008, 01:41 AM
Joey Halzle has as good a chance to be drafted as i do... i mean dayum i was second team all edmond my senior year

Crucifax Autumn
11/26/2008, 01:52 AM
I play a pretty mean Madden and I was a kickass run & shoot guy on Tecmo. Not to even mention my innovative use of the option on intellivision....and there wasn't even an option play in the game!

I'm ready for the draft!

retnuH03
11/26/2008, 02:06 AM
No. He's not that good.

setem
11/26/2008, 02:11 AM
No. He's not that good.

You convinced me!

boomersooner28
11/26/2008, 05:47 AM
If crack kills, why are you still alive?

SoonerJack
11/26/2008, 08:32 AM
I play a pretty mean Madden and I was a kickass run & shoot guy on Tecmo. Not to even mention my innovative use of the option on intellivision....and there wasn't even an option play in the game!

I'm ready for the draft!

Intellivision...now Crucifax you are dating yourself.

boomermagic
11/26/2008, 09:07 AM
Having Halzle even as our backup scares me to death, I'm sure he's a nice guy but he just doesn't have it. I do wish him well though and would be very pleasantly surprised at NFL success.

Maybe not an NFL qb but he is a very good backup IMO.. I trust him with our offense..

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2008, 09:10 AM
your friend lied to you

My Opinion Matters
11/26/2008, 09:18 AM
If you're going to believe everything your friends tell you, I would suggest getting smarter friends.

SteelClip49
11/26/2008, 09:24 AM
Halzle has just as good of chance as anyone else does. Hell, Hybl was a 2nd stringer and look at the opportunity he got. Heupel and Hybl were given shots. Why not another H? Go Halzle!!!!

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/26/2008, 09:58 AM
I think he could be given a shot with a free agent contract but that's as far as it goes. He'll get that because he does have a strong arm and has NFL size 6'4" but lacks the experience needed. Someone could take him to grow him as a backup but it's a long shot he stays more than 2 years on the practice squad. A good friend of mine out in SoCal played against Joey in high school and JUCO and was completely shocked when he came to play at OU. He thought he was not good at all and just had a strong arm. His JUCO stats are not that impressive and that's all scouts have to go on as far as game time goes. I think he'll get a shot in the pros with a free agent deal but will surprise me if he stays into the season.

UberSooner
11/26/2008, 10:19 AM
Maybe he meant the arena draft. Do they have a draft? Maybe they'll start one to get him.

rainiersooner
11/26/2008, 11:24 AM
I wish him all the best...NFL future, eh...not so much in my humble opinion.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/26/2008, 11:28 AM
Halzle has just as good of chance as anyone else does. Hell, Hybl was a 2nd stringer and look at the opportunity he got. Heupel and Hybl were given shots. Why not another H? Go Halzle!!!!

Hybl was a starter..and he was more the NFL prototype than the others

snp
11/26/2008, 12:39 PM
I think he could be given a shot with a free agent contract but that's as far as it goes. He'll get that because he does have a strong arm and has NFL size 6'4" but lacks the experience needed. Someone could take him to grow him as a backup but it's a long shot he stays more than 2 years on the practice squad. A good friend of mine out in SoCal played against Joey in high school and JUCO and was completely shocked when he came to play at OU. He thought he was not good at all and just had a strong arm. His JUCO stats are not that impressive and that's all scouts have to go on as far as game time goes. I think he'll get a shot in the pros with a free agent deal but will surprise me if he stays into the season.

Halzle is not 6'4. More like 6'1-6'2.

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/26/2008, 12:54 PM
Halzle is not 6'4. More like 6'1-6'2.

I just did a quick look up and gave the height of the first site I saw. My apologies.

bluedogok
11/26/2008, 01:08 PM
You can't really compare Jason White in this situation, he didn't get drafted because his knees were shot by the time he finished his eligibility. If he had a healthy college career he would have been a draft pick in the first three rounds at a minimum.

Now the chances of Halzle getting drafted are very slim, chances of being picked up as a free agent are still slim but a bit better depending upon how the school "Pro Day" workouts go. I doubt that he will be invited to the combine.

JLEW1818
11/26/2008, 02:12 PM
Joey will be a late 6 or 7th rounder, most likely a free agent pick. Think of it this way each team in the nfl has 3+ Quarterbacks, 30x3= 90 Quarterbacks. Is joey top 90? Now some teams probably have another qb on practice squad.

snp
11/26/2008, 02:57 PM
I just did a quick look up and gave the height of the first site I saw. My apologies.

He's listed at 6'4 at Soonersports.com but I'm going off the numerous times I've been standing next to him. He's also really skinny too. Doesn't look like a football player.

Very nice guy though.

SoonerObsession
11/26/2008, 04:16 PM
Joey's had one chance to show what he's really capable of and he nearly pulled it off last year against Tech. I don't think we've seen enough of him to know whether he's good or not.

stoopified
11/26/2008, 04:37 PM
Drugs are a terrible thing.