PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what happens in the event of a 3-way tie?

My Opinion Matters
11/25/2008, 07:42 PM
TIA.

Hot Rod
11/25/2008, 07:44 PM
Paper. Rock. Scissors.

Crimsontothecore
11/25/2008, 07:44 PM
Team highest in BCS ranking gets the nod.

SoonerDood
11/25/2008, 07:46 PM
Lemme guess, you also need a Boomer Sooner Ringtone?

Hot Rod
11/25/2008, 07:46 PM

This is news to me!

bcgvh
11/25/2008, 07:47 PM
As if this hasn't been discussed EVERYWHERE for the past few days. ;)

My Opinion Matters
Lemme guess, you also need a Boomer Sooner Ringtone?

Why do they call him AD instead of AP? :confused:

Stitch Face
Herbstreit decides.

bcgvh
11/25/2008, 07:48 PM
Herbstreit decides.

Oh crap.

SoonerDood
11/25/2008, 07:53 PM
heh

OKC Sooner
11/25/2008, 07:55 PM
That is explained quite thoroughly in the Kasey Studdard thread.

colinreturn
11/25/2008, 07:55 PM

trolled

richsooner
11/25/2008, 08:47 PM
TIA.

Where have you been? On vacation on another planet???????????

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2008, 08:51 PM
A 3-way tie has the same ramifications as crossing the streams.

Crossing the Streams

"Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."

—Egon Spengler on crossing proton streams

StormySooner-IN
11/25/2008, 08:53 PM
TIA.
**** off, dip ****.

;)

olevetonahill
11/25/2008, 08:53 PM
A game of twiddly winks decides it .

setem
11/25/2008, 09:07 PM
The three coaches meet at a undisclosed Waffle House and they all flip a coin. Odd man out get the nod!

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2008, 09:09 PM
The head coach with the hottest wife gets the nod. I think we're in good shape.

oufan1
11/25/2008, 09:13 PM
Why do they call him AD instead of AP? :confused:

look dont bring Joe Castiglione and the Associated Press into this.....

If there is a 3 way tie Notre Dame plays themsleves for the Championship of all conferences!

TMcGee86
11/25/2008, 09:14 PM
Red Ring of Death.

JLEW1818
11/25/2008, 09:20 PM
who is BCS

SoonerShark
11/25/2008, 10:06 PM
The traditional way is to take the team with the interlocking letters on their helmet without a head coach who formerly worked at one of the schools with whom they were tied. Darn! Mack was here in 84. Leach was here in 2000. Who knew that would leave only us in the three team cluster contingency.

SoonerShark
11/25/2008, 10:08 PM
Another way is to leave out the team whose stadium is named after an alum of one of the other South tri-champs. Drat! That leaves out Texas, too.

SoonerShark
11/25/2008, 10:11 PM
You cannot have a farm product on your helmet and be a champ.

sooner518
11/25/2008, 10:12 PM
Herbstreit decides.

Florida can't win the Big 12, no matter what Herbstreit says

SoonerShark
11/25/2008, 10:13 PM
You need to have an NBA franchise within 30 miles of your campus. You should have two airports nearby named for folks who died in a single airplane crash in the home state of a recent vice-presidential candidate.

SoonerShark
11/25/2008, 10:16 PM
And finally...ties go to the reigning conference champ.

Hot Rod
11/25/2008, 11:21 PM
I think Shark's got it. I agree. :)

vigilantesooner
11/25/2008, 11:27 PM
Tiebreaker goes to the team with the greatest history. See my sig for more info.

Iam4OUru
11/26/2008, 09:21 AM
I copied this from another site. Anybody aware of this?

"your right about only 2 teams from a conference can get bcs bids, until this year. there is a remote chance that 3 big 12 teams could end up in bcs bowls. bcs commissioners have looked into the issue and if needed will allow 3 teams from the big 12 into bcs bowls."

GrapevineSooner
11/26/2008, 09:33 AM
Selective facts apply.

Blues1
11/26/2008, 10:14 AM
We start the Season All over Again....... :)

soonerhillbilly
11/26/2008, 11:09 AM
I read where the 3 QB's compete at Playstation. Is this true?

FirstandGoal
11/26/2008, 11:43 AM
I read where the 3 QB's compete at Playstation. Is this true?

No, no, no, no,no.......

Its XBox

Get it right n00b :P

Breadburner
11/26/2008, 11:49 AM
The 3 coaches Indian leg wrestle for it....

soonerboomer93
11/26/2008, 11:52 AM
TIA.

I'm going to have to request that you stop posting in this thread

OUDoc
11/26/2008, 12:00 PM
ro-sham-bo.
To the death.

Flagstaffsooner
11/26/2008, 12:04 PM
texass whines like a stuck pig.

OUDoc
11/26/2008, 12:28 PM
texass whines like a stuck pig.

While that is what happens, I think he meant "How is it settled?"

:)

olevetonahill
11/26/2008, 12:34 PM
While that is what happens, I think he meant "How is it settled?"

:)

WE stick a Fork In Bevo and Call em Done ?

hellogoodbye
11/26/2008, 02:36 PM
Three bowls of soup, one fork.

Crimson_Balls
11/26/2008, 02:42 PM
Can't they give the tiebreaker to the defending champ?

Collier11
2/17/2010, 02:10 AM
whatever happened with this scenario?

prrriiide
2/17/2010, 04:12 AM

I believe that a certain fanbase wound up stomping their feet and pouting.

swardboy
2/17/2010, 07:01 AM
Everybody knows: I win.

sooner n houston
2/17/2010, 07:20 AM
It will never happen!!! :D

oudavid1
2/17/2010, 09:02 AM
Red Ring of Death.

Nice ^^^

goingoneight
2/17/2010, 09:19 AM
In the event of a 3-way divisional tie, the best team with the best resume takes the cake, but still has to earn it's championship in the title game the next week. 2nd and 3rd place are to fly banners, put asterisks in front of fake championships unearned and play meaningless bowl games as a consolation prize.

salth2o
2/17/2010, 09:20 AM
In the event of a 3-way divisional tie, the best team with the best resume takes the cake, but still has to earn it's championship in the title game the next week. 2nd and 3rd place are to fly banners, put asterisks in front of fake championships unearned and play meaningless bowl games as a consolation prize.

This sounds reasonable.

texas bandman
2/17/2010, 04:25 PM

Geez...ya have too much time on your hands? :D

Collier11
2/17/2010, 04:28 PM
I was up late lastnite, lol

Jacie
2/17/2010, 07:37 PM
According to one fanbase, the tie-breaker rules are not determined until a tie actually takes place, then they are fixed so that their team gets the shaft.

Herr Scholz
2/17/2010, 07:42 PM
The team with the most ex coaches in the league will have their underlings sabotage the other team by rating on obvious 2nd ranked national team 6th or lower. Hey, it works.

Collier11
2/17/2010, 07:48 PM
Dont play the "poor me" game, we have guys every year like Bobby Bowden voting us 5-10 spots lower than we should be. You guys lost by the rules that were in place before the season, the same rules that the Big 12 commissioners voted to keep

Herr Scholz
2/17/2010, 08:07 PM
Just saying Stoops' coaching tree had an underhanded role in us missing out by thousandths of points. Yes it was within the rules but are you trying to say it wasn't dirty? Or is it WIT?

Along those same lines, do you think Stoops and Venables visiting Lincoln and Tuscaloosa this year the weeks before our games was cool?

Collier11
2/17/2010, 08:13 PM
Coaches do that all the time, you dont think Muschamp an Mack and the guys talk with other coaches, if you dont believe that you are naive, that is a practice that has gone on forever.

As far as "do I think it is dirty", not at all. Mack has friends in the coaching biz, hell he has been coaching more than twice as long as Stoops so if he doesnt have anyone on his side as a friend that would be pretty pathetic, thats just the way it goes regardless. Maybe you tex fans need to look at it from a realistic point of view that yea you beat us head to head but once you lost to TT it was all back to even and when left to the voters, like it or not, they thought OU was the better team.

Just because you beat us in Oct doesnt mean you are the better team in December, I dont understand how you dont get that. I get that you think ut was the better team but surely you can see where others didnt feel that way

Herr Scholz
2/17/2010, 08:34 PM
Maybe you tex fans need to look at it from a realistic point of view that yea you beat us head to head but once you lost to TT it was all back to even and when left to the voters, like it or not, they thought OU was the better team.

You guys seriously think that's the truth don't you. We were ahead in 3 of 4 national polls the week before the Big XII title game. You got in because of the computers. The humans were on our side (would've been more without the subterfuge). It was a perfect storm that got you over that last weekend: KU over Mizzou, Cinci, Hawaii, etc.

Seriously, you were not ahead with voters, press, online voters, anyone. Only computers.

sooner ngintunr
2/17/2010, 08:45 PM
yeah, 62-21 didn't sway any votes.:rolleyes:

Jacie
2/17/2010, 08:46 PM
Seriously, you were not ahead with voters, press, online voters, anyone. Only computers.

I think you, not you personally but the sa*et fans as a group were the X factor that tipped the scales towards Oklahoma.

Do you or any UT fan realize how effing ridiculous you all looked after the banners, the interviews with Mack during Sooner games, and the whole outcry about how it was a two-way not a three-way tie?

Get a clue! It was going to be close anyway. Then after the ruckus that was raised the year before about being more deserving than California, the circus your fan base put on at the end of the 2008 season guaranteed things would go the other way.

Too many of your orange buddies howled a little too much.

Tell em to show a little class and maybe they'll be given a little consideration next time.

Herr Scholz
2/17/2010, 08:47 PM
yeah, 62-21 didn't sway any votes.:rolleyes:

Sure it did but we were still ahead in the human polls when the Big XII South rep was decided.

An honest ranking by all coaches without a pro-Sooner agenda would've had us in the game. Fact. That's dirty in my book. But whatever it takes, right?

Herr Scholz
2/17/2010, 08:49 PM
Too many of your orange buddies howled a little too much.

Tell em to show a little class and maybe they'll be given a little consideration next time.

From the likes of Leach, Mangino, M. Stoops and Briles? Who's being naive now?

yankee
2/17/2010, 09:01 PM
some people take bait, and they take it hard.
good fishing, all around it looks like.

Collier11
2/17/2010, 09:41 PM
You guys seriously think that's the truth don't you. We were ahead in 3 of 4 national polls the week before the Big XII title game. You got in because of the computers. The humans were on our side (would've been more without the subterfuge). It was a perfect storm that got you over that last weekend: KU over Mizzou, Cinci, Hawaii, etc.

That perfect storm is part of sports my man, sometimes the teams that you need to win all win, sometimes they all lose. Only two polls matter and we were ahead in one and the computers favored us because as usual we played a better schedule non conf. Maybe you should be howling at Dodds and Brown to schedule better teams. Look at our sched this year compared to yours, we play 3 teams non conf who were bowl teams last year

Collier11
2/17/2010, 09:42 PM
From the likes of Leach, Mangino, M. Stoops and Briles? Who's being naive now?

So Mack has no friends in the biz after 25+ years of coaching, that is either very naive on your part or really pathetic on his part

Dio
2/18/2010, 12:35 AM
Looks like we better call the waaahmbulance

Leroy Lizard
2/18/2010, 02:02 AM
I can understand Texas' grumblings about the voting. They're wrong, but I can understand.

What perplexed me was their idiotic rants that somehow a three-way tie should be magically turned into a two-way tie because we pounded Tech as badly as we did. That one showed the true lunacy of the Texas fan base.

prrriiide
2/18/2010, 09:04 AM
Just saying Stoops' coaching tree had an underhanded role in us missing out by thousandths of points. Yes it was within the rules but are you trying to say it wasn't dirty? Or is it WIT?

Along those same lines, do you think Stoops and Venables visiting Lincoln and Tuscaloosa this year the weeks before our games was cool?

Ah. I see now. It was BOB STOOPS on the grassy knoll.

http://itodyaso.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/tin-foil1.jpg

sooner ngintunr
2/18/2010, 01:17 PM
Sure it did but we were still ahead in the human polls when the Big XII South rep was decided.

An honest ranking by all coaches without a pro-Sooner agenda would've had us in the game. Fact. That's dirty in my book. But whatever it takes, right?

I thought only the final coaches poll was made public on how the coaches voted?

You are just making assumptions on how certain coaches voted in the poll prior to the Big 12 CG.

goingoneight
2/18/2010, 02:07 PM
It was such a big voting conspiracy that Stoops didn't even vote nor opt to comment toward anyone about voting.

Damn that Stoops!

MichiganSooner
2/18/2010, 02:34 PM
In case of a 3 way tie, Texas hires a pilot who flies around with signs trailing. Then Mack Brown buys a plaque declaring Texas the champ and mounts it on the stadium.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/18/2010, 04:31 PM
RO-SHAM-BO

texaspokieokie
2/20/2010, 12:31 PM
can't believe hair sholz is still whining.

silverwheels
2/20/2010, 04:53 PM
can't believe hair sholz is still whining.

He's a Texas fan. That's what they do.

MiccoMacey
2/20/2010, 11:50 PM

Scholz,

You old dog, you...what are you doing over here riling up these good folks? ;)

And to add to your desire to stir the pot, I'll add my .02 cents worth to keep it going.

You guys keep throwing the whole "we owned you in three of the four national polls" schtick. In the week prior to the Big Twelve title game, Texas was up by 8 points over OU in the AP poll, and OU was up by one in the "allegedly tainted" USA Today Coaches Poll. That's a wash, no matter how you look at it. Not sure what other two irrelevant polls you were referring to, but these are generally considered the only two legitimate polls. It's not like there was this huge mandate for Texas amongst the pollsters. You need to find a better argument than this one.

You can counter with the "We won" argument, which is true, but I'd say that since almost exactly half of all pollsters voted for OU as they did Texas, then they must have believed the Texas win over OU was an upset, maybe not in the order of the Texas Tech upset over Texas, but an upset none the less. I can find no other logical reason (heh...logical and the AP poll), why anyone would rank a team that beat another team behind the team they beat.

Plus, isn't it baseball season? Don't you have the Cubs pitching rotation to worry about? :)

OUDoc
2/22/2010, 08:56 AM

Is it our fault no one likes you?

IronHorseSooner
2/22/2010, 10:31 AM
So Mack has no friends in the biz after 25+ years of coaching, that is either very naive on your part or really pathetic on his part

He had three buddies of his vote for him that I can think of right off the top of my head (Chizik, Tomey, and Tubberville). If he was supposed to be such a "darned nice guy" and Stoops is "supposed" to be an arse, then why didn't more people vote for him on that criteria? The fact is that we had a better body of work than * or Tech.

Stuff like this happens all the time in sports. I think all of us can remember in OUr last Final Four year when we thought that we should have got a #1 seed over Maryland even though we had an identical record and we beat them by 17 earlier that season. The committee took their body of work over the head-to-head. Maryland ended up winning the tourney. In college sports where rankings and statistical scenarios are the way things are decided, this should not be that uncommon.

Leroy Lizard
2/22/2010, 10:57 AM

Can't be a fact and be based on speculation.

oudavid1
7/1/2010, 02:49 AM
ro-sham-bo.
To the death.

I wish this guy posted more often in the sooner football section

to many people get hung up in the South Oval

PLaw
7/1/2010, 06:23 AM
Texas whines, Tech is left in dismay, and OU accepts the outcome with class and honor.

BOOMER

sooner n houston
7/1/2010, 07:01 AM
This put a smile on my face this morning! :D

NormanPride
7/1/2010, 08:21 AM
I wish this guy posted more often in the sooner football section

to many people get hung up in the South Oval

The SO is a black hole from whence few return. And those few are scarred, hideous renditions of their former selves.

Except Howzit. He's always been that way.