PDA

View Full Version : Tulsans...

Okla-homey
11/25/2008, 05:08 PM
How do you feel about the move to keep TRMC/OSUMC open?

I realize folks who are loyal to the Pink Castle, the John or Hillcrest don't think the demise of the place affects them, but it seems to me if folks don't want pawpaw's roomie (when he goes in for his knee replacement) to be a gunshot victim, mebbe they oughtta care about whether the place stays open.

Thoughts?

:pop:

yermom
11/25/2008, 05:28 PM
the former Osteopathic place? it's closing?

i'm not quite sure what you are saying...

i don't think i've been there since i broke my arm when i was 4

IB4OU2
11/25/2008, 05:30 PM
Keep it open. Easy access for the John 3:16/Central library residents.

LilSooner
11/25/2008, 05:31 PM
Hey what about Southcrest!

bri
11/25/2008, 05:36 PM
Southcrest can suck it.

It needs to stay open. As sketchy as it is, it does have merit. Just, you know, never take me there. :D

Okla-homey
11/25/2008, 05:45 PM
the former Osteopathic place? it's closing?

i'm not quite sure what you are saying...

i don't think i've been there since i broke my arm when i was 4

yep.

Here's the down and dirty. A few years ago Ardent Corp. out of Nashville acquired Hillcrest, Southcrest, the said downtown hospital formerly know as Tulsa Regional Medical Center, and some other odds and ends, including Bayley in Owasso. Ardent is a for-profit health corp. and they subsequently decided to jettison TRMC because it consistently lost money.

oSu bought it to help keep their medical school afloat and hung a big Poke sign on it. Booger Pickens even kicked in some dough on the downlow.

Now, the Stoolwater braintrust have come to realize they can't keep it going either and have announced they'll move their osteopathic medicine residency program over to St. Frank's.

That leaves the "public" hospital in downtown Tulsa in dire straights.

Many local politicians have been burning up the turnpike tin-cupping the legislature for money to keep it open so the community around the place has a hospital. A bail-out as it were, but with a promise by the legislature to keep the green flowing because the place can't possibly ever break-even given the demographics of its patient base.

JohnnyMack
11/25/2008, 05:45 PM
Remember when Crystal's burned down? Man that sucked.

Okla-homey
11/25/2008, 05:46 PM
Hey what about Southcrest!

FWIW, Southcrest has become THE place for gastric bypass surgery in Oklahoma. Other than that, meh.

My Opinion Matters
11/25/2008, 05:57 PM
Unforuntately, it's not an issue many know or care very much about. The situation there is a microcosm of the healthcare system as a whole. There's a massive healthcare crisis on the horizon, and nothing will be done about it until its too late.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2008, 06:12 PM
I'm partial to TRMC. They saved my life, and my dad used to have hospital rights there. I honestly don't believe there's a finer orthopedic surgeon than the one who fixed my leg. I was supposed to walk with a limp for the rest of my life, but I never had any problems with my leg at all.

Widescreen
11/25/2008, 06:59 PM
My uncle has been a doctor at Osteopathic/TRMC since I was a kid. I need to find out how this may affect him since I think he does a ton of work outside the hospital anyway.

StoopTroup
11/25/2008, 07:02 PM
I was raised in the place. My father and Uncle both were surgeons there. They trained more Doctors than I can can even begin to remember.

Yeah I hate to see a part of my life as I knew, disappear forever but...I really see no reason to keep it. There is going to be some fallout but I'm betting it's probably time to let it go if nobody can keep it running.

I'd say it's probably just mismanaged and the price it was acquired probably was too much considering it's been mismanaged for so long. I really think lots of our Nations Hospitals nose-dived when they quit being run by Doctors. The same is true for Medical Schools too IMO. Med Schools are loaded with tons of very intelligent people...but there are usually very few Doctors involved. Practical experience is required to become a good Doctor IMO and the harder that is to come by as a Student Doctor...the harder the public is going to have to look for a good Doctor.

What do any of us have to let you know who is really treating you anyway. It's mostly blind luck and word of mouth in most peoples cases. I'm a little blessed in that I know someone in the Profession and have been able to usually avoid a bad Doctor.

Bad Hospitals are just as bad as bad Doctors. You shouldn't go to one unless you have to do so IMO.

I know Homey has quite a bit of info on the Old Osteopathic Haunts...and as someone who has spent a good part of my life running the halls with his Father and Uncle...I hate to see it go...but I hate to see it deteriorate into something even worse too.

I don't think a bailout will work either. Someone will need to find value in that place and decide what it takes to keep it profitable. If it can't be done...I'd rather see the State's dough go to dynamiting it and building a huge Indian Statue there. ;)

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2008, 07:07 PM
I was raised in the place. My father and Uncle both were surgeons there. They trained more Doctors than I can can even begin to remember.

Yeah I hate to see a part of my life as I knew, disappear forever but...I really see no reason to keep it. There is going to be some fallout but I'm betting it's probably time to let it go if nobody can keep it running.

I'd say it's probably just mismanaged and the price it was acquired probably was too much considering it's been mismanaged for so long. I really think lots of our Nations Hospitals nose-dived when they quit being run by Doctors. The same is true for Medical Schools too IMO. Med Schools are loaded with tons of very intelligent people...but there are usually very few Doctors involved. Practical experience is required to become a good Doctor IMO and the harder that is to come by as a Student Doctor...the harder the public is going to have to look for a good Doctor.

What do any of us have to let you know who is really treating you anyway. It's mostly blind luck and word of mouth in most peoples cases. I'm a little blessed in that I know someone in the Profession and have been able to usually avoid a bad Doctor.

Bad Hospitals are just as bad as bad Doctors. You shouldn't go to one unless you have to do so IMO.

I know Homey has quite a bit of info on the Old Osteopathic Haunts...and as someone who has spent a good part of my life running the halls with his Father and Uncle...I hate to see it go...but I hate to see it deteriorate into something even worse too.

I don't think a bailout will work either. Someone will need to find value in that place and decide what it takes to keep it profitable. If it can't be done...I'd rather see the State's dough go to dynamiting it and building a huge Indian Statue there. ;)

Did you know a Dr. Battenfield?

LilSooner
11/25/2008, 07:18 PM
FWIW, Southcrest has become THE place for gastric bypass surgery in Oklahoma. Other than that, meh.

I can't believe that this is about to happen, but Homey you are actually wrong.

Dr. G is no longer at Southcrest he and Dr. Kirk have gone to Bailey and Southcrest no longer does gastric bypasses it's been a year and half since they stopped. (totally tooting my own horn, but I built his surgical pack that he uses)

They are also no longer apart of Ardent. They were bought by Triad at least 3 years ago and CHS bought them last year. BIGGEST CLUSTER EVAR.

I love Southcrest because it's where I live one day out of the week. They also have a lot of cool people and they help me keep a roof over my head.

It's the only hospital I have in Tulsa I have no thoughts on the TRMC/OSU thingy :)

Okla-homey
11/25/2008, 07:23 PM
I'm partial to TRMC. They saved my life, and my dad used to have hospital rights there. I honestly don't believe there's a final orthopedic surgeon than the one who fixed my leg. I was supposed to walk with a limp for the rest of my life, but I never had any problems with my leg at all.

He obviosly was a fine orthpopedic surgeon. However, the finest orthopedic surgeons in the world are at Womack Army Medical Center at Ft. Bragg, NC. Home of the 82d Airborne Division. 500+ parachute injury induced fractures per month keeps them razor sharp. I have a story similar to yours Sic. A fine Army Orthopedic surgeon put my fight femur back together when it snapped (audibly) like a tree branch, and a spiral fracture extended up into the hip joint. I was running PT again in 4 months.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2008, 07:29 PM
A fine Army Orthopedic surgeon put my fight femur back together when it snapped (audibly) like a tree branch, and a spiral fracture extended up into the hip joint. I was running PT again in 4 months.

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. My femur snapped like a twig.
I gotta hand it to your army bone doctor, I was in a body cast from the waist down for at least 4 months not to mention the time I was in the hospital, surgery, and physical therapy.

Okla-homey
11/25/2008, 07:32 PM
I can't believe that this is about to happen, but Homey you are actually wrong.

Dr. G is no longer at Southcrest he and Dr. Kirk have gone to Bailey and Southcrest no longer does gastric bypasses it's been a year and half since they stopped. (totally tooting my own horn, but I built his surgical pack that he uses)

They are also no longer apart of Ardent. They were bought by Triad at least 3 years ago and CHS bought them last year. BIGGEST CLUSTER EVAR.

I love Southcrest because it's where I live one day out of the week. They also have a lot of cool people and they help me keep a roof over my head.

It's the only hospital I have in Tulsa I have no thoughts on the TRMC/OSU thingy :)

I stand corrected. I forgot Ardent shed Southcrest too. Southcrest used to be the place for the gastric bypass dealio. FWIW, I hope that Bailey move works out. I hear tell Bailey is hemorraging green too. Of course, they're still trying to get it established and what not so it might turn out to make money in the out years. Lawd knows folks gotta have somewhere to turn when its time to replumb their innards in order to lose weight.:O

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2008, 07:33 PM
That name Dr. Kirk sounds really familiar.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah evidently my dad is friends with Dr. Kirk. I guess that's where I heard the name.

StoopTroup
11/25/2008, 07:35 PM
Did you know a Dr. Battenfield?

Harold. Yes.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2008, 07:36 PM
Harold. Yes.

He put my femur back together when I was 5. He was amazingly good.

StoopTroup
11/25/2008, 07:39 PM
He put my femur back together when I was 5. He was amazingly good.

Saw him at last years Christmas Function for the Doctors. My Aunt and Uncle couldn't make it and my Wife and I drove my Parents in the ice storm mess up to Gilcrease Museum for the event. It was nice to see him again.

Top Notch Guy...Top Notch Surgeon.

Okla-homey
11/25/2008, 07:39 PM
Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. My femur snapped like a twig.
I gotta hand it to your army bone doctor, I was in a body cast from the waist down for at least 4 months not to mention the time I was in the hospital, surgery, and physical therapy.

How long ago?

See, my injury was in December of 1999. He flayed my thigh like a butterfly shrimp, put in a bunch of metal, including what on the x-rays looked to me like about 15 self-tapping metal screws and a big steel plate, a new ball thingy at the top of my femur, sewed me up, and I was non-weight bearing for 9 weeks. No cast. No traction. Physical therapy for six weeks. Return to full duty.

I still give 'em fits at the airport though.

Mjcpr
11/25/2008, 07:41 PM
You forgot about the actual/perceived inequality of state funding of Tulsa's indigent care hospital when compared to OKC's.

StoopTroup
11/25/2008, 07:43 PM
You guys and your screws. :D

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Magneto/magneto_x-men_image.jpg

LilSooner
11/25/2008, 07:47 PM
I stand corrected. I forgot Ardent shed Southcrest too. Southcrest used to be the place for the gastric bypass dealio. FWIW, I hope that Bailey move works out. I hear tell Bailey is hemorraging green too. Of course, they're still trying to get it established and what not so it might turn out to make money in the out years. Lawd knows folks gotta have somewhere to turn when its time to replumb their innards in order to lose weight.:O

Yep I think they are doing something like 60 a month up there. It's the only thing that is keeping Bailey afloat from what I hear. But hell they promised Dr. G the moon and the stars to get him to move. I also heard that Muskogee is getting a new hospitals.

WHY DON'T THEY BUILD MORE HOSPITALS DOWN IN MY TERRITORY!!!!!

oh wait everyone goes to the city for their procedures.

Okla-homey
11/25/2008, 07:49 PM
You forgot about the actual/perceived inequality of state funding of Tulsa's indigent care hospital when compared to OKC's.

I wasn't gonna bring that up, but there is a lot of smoke and noise up here about how Deaconess and Presby got bailed out by the state while "The Hospital Formerly Known As TRMC" is left to die on the vine. There's also been allegations its a Crimson v. Orange thingy too.

Mjcpr
11/25/2008, 07:52 PM
Maybe they could change it to Crimson and fund it. :D

StoopTroup
11/25/2008, 07:52 PM
I wasn't gonna bring that up, but there is a lot of smoke and noise up here about how Deaconess and Presby got bailed out by the state while "The Hospital Formerly Known As TRMC" is left to die on the vine. There's also been allegations its a Crimson v. Orange thingy too.

Zee Kaiser doesn't like zee boones farm.

Okla-homey
11/25/2008, 07:54 PM
Yep I think they are doing something like 60 a month up there. It's the only thing that is keeping Bailey afloat from what I hear. But hell they promised Dr. G the moon and the stars to get him to move. I also heard that Muskogee is getting a new hospitals.

WHY DON'T THEY BUILD MORE HOSPITALS DOWN IN MY TERRITORY!!!!!

oh wait everyone goes to the city for their procedures.

I have also heard from the birdies that there is a move afoot in the legislature (bankrolled of course by the gastric bypass industry) to pass a law requiring people who write health policies in Oklahoma to approve gastric bypass for morbid tubbies, which could result in serious bank for the gastric bypass doers.

Stitch Face
11/25/2008, 07:58 PM
I think it's too bad that Boone dumps endless money into a crap football team but can't vitalize a medical facility with his school's nasty logo on it. Maybe OSU would be worth a damn in the community's eyes if they would put a fraction of the money and effort into professional medical education and metro indigent care that they do into an athletic village.

Okla-homey
11/25/2008, 07:59 PM
I think it's too bad that Boone dumps endless money into a crap football team but can't vitalize a medical facility with his school's nasty logo on it. Maybe OSU would be worth a damn in the community's eyes if they would put a fraction of the money and effort into professional medical education and metro indigent care that they do into an athletic village.

I'm Okla-homey and I approve of this message.

Mjcpr
11/25/2008, 08:04 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK -- There is word of a deal involving the OSU Medical Center in Tulsa. Governor Henry and legislative leaders announced within the last hour that they have reached a tentative agreement with Tulsa stakeholders on a plan that would preserve the Oklahoma State University medical program and save the OSU Medical Center.

The governor, House Speaker Chris Benge, Senate President Pro Tempore Glenn Coffee, and Treasurer Scott Meacham met with various stakeholders at the Oklahoma Capitol on Tuesday afternoon to hammer out an agreement.

Details of the plan are not yet being made public.
http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=9415122

OU-HSV
11/25/2008, 08:15 PM

Yeah, from what I've heard, Southcrest is a joke. I have family members and friends on both my side and my wife's side who have had issues with Southcrest.

As far as the osu hospital is concerned....I honestly don't think I knew it existed until all this came about in the news recently. Guess I've never had a reason to know it existed. Anytime my family or friends have been in the hospital, it always seems they're in St. Johns or St. Francis

LilSooner
11/25/2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah, from what I've heard, Southcrest is a joke. I have family members and friends on both my side and my wife's side who have had issues with Southcrest.

As far as the osu hospital is concerned....I honestly don't think I knew it existed. Guess I've never had a reason to know it existed. Anytime my family or friends have been in the hospital, it always seems they're in St. Johns or St. Francis

Ouch very ouch, man.

OU-HSV
11/25/2008, 08:44 PM
Ouch very ouch, man.
(I re-read the thread and saw that you spend a little time working there or something).
It wasn't meant to be a direct attack at you personally,So don't take it that way. I'm just speaking of bad experiences that people I know have had there.

Okla-homey
11/25/2008, 08:50 PM
(I re-read the thread and saw that you spend a little time working there or something).
It wasn't meant to be a direct attack at you personally,So don't take it that way. I'm just speaking of bad experiences that people I know have had there.

here's the dealio. Let's just say when RN's get the bootinkski from the John, The Frank and Hillcrest, they tend to land at Southcrest. Not all mind you, but more than their fair share. And since the quality of nursing care = quality of hospital, well, there you have it.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2008, 09:01 PM
How long ago?

See, my injury was in December of 1999. He flayed my thigh like a butterfly shrimp, put in a bunch of metal, including what on the x-rays looked to me like about 15 self-tapping metal screws and a big steel plate, a new ball thingy at the top of my femur, sewed me up, and I was non-weight bearing for 9 weeks. No cast. No traction. Physical therapy for six weeks. Return to full duty.

I still give 'em fits at the airport though.

This would have been around 1987 or so.

OU-HSV
11/25/2008, 09:06 PM
here's the dealio. Let's just say when RN's get the bootinkski from the John, The Frank and Hillcrest, they tend to land at Southcrest. Not all mind you, but more than their fair share. And since the quality of nursing care = quality of hospital, well, there you have it.

Seems like one logical explanation I suppose.

I didn't notice, has anyone mentioned there's a new hospital going up here in B.A. St. Johns Broken Arrow. Looks like a pretty decent project so far. They've got a lot done already

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2008, 09:14 PM
I have also heard from the birdies that there is a move afoot in the legislature (bankrolled of course by the gastric bypass industry) to pass a law requiring people who write health policies in Oklahoma to approve gastric bypass for morbid tubbies, which could result in serious bank for the gastric bypass doers.

Interesting.

I'm not sure that I'm a big fan of gastric bypass surgery as a legitimate weight-loss option: it seems a lot like getting rid of a landfill by nuking it.

Then again, I'm not a doctor. Hell, I crushed the dummy's skull when practicing CPR.

OU-HSV
11/25/2008, 09:17 PM
Interesting.

I'm not sure that I'm a big fan of gastric bypass surgery as a legitimate weight-loss option: it seems a lot like getting rid of a landfill by nuking it.

Then again, I'm not a doctor. Hell, I crushed the dummy's skull when practicing CPR.

Haha, so you were pressing the wrong area of the dummy's body obviously.

TMcGee86
11/25/2008, 09:22 PM
The Pink Castle is where its at.

The rest can suck it.

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2008, 09:27 PM
Haha, so you were pressing the wrong area of the dummy's body obviously.

Heh.

Well, while you're doing breaths you're supposed to tilt the head back and keep it steady, right?

I put too much weight on the steadying hand.

Looked at the dummy, looked at the instructor, and said "I think I failed, huh?"

His response?

"Nah. There's a Good Samaritan Law in this state and your breaths and compressions looked good."

Okla-homey
11/25/2008, 09:36 PM
Interesting.

I'm pretty much of the opinion its a frankensteining of your digestive tract, and with some procedures, there's no going back. If I was 1400 pounds and couldn't stand, I'd consider it. Other than that, no thanks.

Moreover, an alarming number of people have it done, lose a bunch, then the weight creeps back on. At that point, they have re-jiggered guts making their life a pain in the arse, AND they are bound for renewed lard-arsery. Great deal.:rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2008, 10:11 PM
I'm pretty much of the opinion its a frankensteining of your digestive tract, and with some procedures, there's no going back. If I was 1400 pounds and couldn't stand, I'd consider it. Other than that, no thanks.

Moreover, an alarming number of people have it done, lose a bunch, then the weight creeps back on. At that point, they have re-jiggered guts making their life a pain in the arse, AND they are bound for renewed lard-arsery. Great deal.:rolleyes:

My non-researched position on this matches yours.

My optometrist had something similar to say about lasik surgery about a year or so ago. There's a chance that your eyes will still degenerate after the surgery, and then you can't even wear contacts.

soonerboomer93
11/25/2008, 11:15 PM
I'm partial to TRMC. They saved my life, and my dad used to have hospital rights there. I honestly don't believe there's a finer orthopedic surgeon than the one who fixed my leg. I was supposed to walk with a limp for the rest of my life, but I never had any problems with my leg at all.

too bad they're not capable of saving your sex life

soonerboomer93
11/25/2008, 11:22 PM
My non-researched position on this matches yours.

My optometrist had something similar to say about lasik surgery about a year or so ago. There's a chance that your eyes will still degenerate after the surgery, and then you can't even wear contacts.

but you can have lasik again

bri
11/25/2008, 11:53 PM
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/riversface.jpg

LAZER EYES!!!

OU-HSV
11/25/2008, 11:56 PM
Heh.

Well, while you're doing breaths you're supposed to tilt the head back and keep it steady, right?

Looked at the dummy, looked at the instructor, and said "I think I failed, huh?"

His response?

"Nah. There's a Good Samaritan Law in this state and your breaths and compressions looked good."

Ha, good stuff

Okla-homey
11/26/2008, 07:38 AM
Heh.

His response?

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 76. Torts
Section 5 - Responsibility for - Negligence - Good Samaritan Act.

2) Where no prior contractual relationship exists, any person who in good faith renders or attempts to render emergency care consisting of artificial respiration, restoration of breathing, or preventing or retarding the loss of blood, or aiding or restoring heart action or circulation of blood to the victim or victims of an accident or emergency, wherever required, shall not be liable for any civil damages as a result of any acts or omissions by such person in rendering the emergency care.