PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Sampson banned for 5 years by NCAA

Scott D
11/25/2008, 01:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3725832

Funny thing is on ESPNews they no longer mention his time at OU, just "Former Indiana Coach"

Sources: Sampson to receive NCAA's harshest penalty

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

Kelvin Sampson resigned as Indiana coach last February and fled to the NBA amid a growing scandal over NCAA recruiting violations on his watch in Bloomington. The NCAA is making sure he can't return to college coaching for at least five years.

Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that Sampson, now an assistant with the Milwaukee Bucks, will receive a five-year show-cause penalty -- one of the harshest the NCAA can levy against an individual.

The NCAA apparently is going to spare the Hoosiers program by not imposing a postseason ban. Sources also said that Indiana's self-imposed penalties are expected to be upheld. Meanwhile, the Indianapolis Star is reporting that the Hoosiers will receive three years' probation.

The NCAA has scheduled a 4 p.m. ET conference call to discuss its findings in the case.

Indiana has been accused of four major NCAA violations that spawned from more than 100 impermissible phone calls to recruits by Sampson and his assistants during his first season as coach. Sampson resigned under pressure in February, short of completing his second season, after accepting a $750,000 buyout.

Sampson was still on probation as Indiana's coach for his involvement in similar offenses committed at Oklahoma. Colonial Athletic Association commissioner Tom Yeager, the chair of the NCAA infractions committee during Sampson's Oklahoma case, said a five-year show cause would not be out of line for a coach who had recently appeared in front of the committee.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

Collier11
11/25/2008, 01:31 PM
I wonder who KS will blame this on, I used to have so much respect for that guy but he has turned into nothing more than a sleazy AAU coach who knows the rules and continues to break them!

oumartin
11/25/2008, 01:48 PM
here is my opinion on Sampson. average to good coach but nothing more. Happened to land a gem in Hollis Price and the supporting cast.
Tasted success and then tried to skirt the rules to duplicate that success.

then once he started his phone fetish he could not stop

fwsooner22
11/25/2008, 03:27 PM
What I remember most (unfortunately) was him taking the microphone and telling us to stop saying Texas Suc%ks......what a fraud......I even bought into that crap......

Yes, I loved that hard nosed basketball......and all the wins.....but don't insist on your fan base changing their behavior that had been established (albeit rude at best) long before he got there and then have no respect for RULES yourself.

Sad Day. He is gone in my little world.

JohnnyMack
11/25/2008, 03:44 PM
Good.

Collier11
11/25/2008, 04:27 PM
Lets see if Eshbach can try and defend him now

yermom
11/25/2008, 04:52 PM
why would they pay him off?

why can't you just fire someone anymore?

Collier11
11/25/2008, 05:04 PM
no doubt, especially since it was with cause

Scott D
11/25/2008, 05:41 PM
because nowadays it's usually worded into the contract. And those buyouts tend to go both directions...ie Rich Rod forking over $4 Mil (w/ UM's help) to WVU for leaving for UM. And in the opposite direction SDSU's AD taking "donations" from big money boosters to give ole Chucky Long his $1 Mil buyout.

Collier11
11/25/2008, 06:03 PM
That is fine, but KS got fired with cause. Its not like he broke his contract like Rodriguez or just fired early for not doing good enough like Long. He cheated and got caught several times?

8timechamps
11/25/2008, 06:11 PM
badger
11/25/2008, 07:10 PM
The punishment will ensure that KS never violates the rules of text messaging and cell phone calling again.

...because by that time, a newer and more rule breaking device will come along much worse than the evils of three-way calls, text messages and whatever other things the NCAA accused KS of.

My in-laws were just discussing this today --- KS seemed to be a staunch disciplinarian and one who valued control and rules. Guess not.

bluedogok
11/25/2008, 10:17 PM
An NAIA or NJCAA school might hire him but he is toast in any level of the NCAA.

Scott D
11/26/2008, 10:09 AM
An NAIA or NJCAA school might hire him but he is toast in any level of the NCAA.

even Tarkanian got another shot in the NCAA after his UNLV empire crashed around him.

Sooner04
11/26/2008, 10:13 AM
even Tarkanian got another shot in the NCAA after his UNLV empire crashed around him.
I don't see Kelvin winning a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the NCAA any time soon like my man, Tark.

shaun4411
11/26/2008, 04:19 PM
good riddance.

Hella Sideburns
11/26/2008, 04:36 PM
The punishment will ensure that KS never violates the rules of text messaging and cell phone calling again.

...because by that time, a newer and more rule breaking device will come along much worse than the evils of three-way calls, text messages and whatever other things the NCAA accused KS of.

My in-laws were just discussing this today --- KS seemed to be a staunch disciplinarian and one who valued control and rules. Guess not.

in his next hire, sampson will be able to speak directly to the recruit's brain

Scott D
11/26/2008, 05:27 PM
I don't see Kelvin winning a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the NCAA any time soon like my man, Tark.

True enough, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Kelvin back in the NCAA's in 7-8 years. Miles Brand won't live forever ;)

Spray
11/26/2008, 07:09 PM
I just hate how this tarnishes the accomplishments of a great group of Sooners. Also, you don't have to cheat to win at OU. Capel (hopefully-never say never nowadays) is an example of this. Sampson continues to this day to sully the program, and I wish him ill.

Collier11
11/26/2008, 07:29 PM
The cheating that KS did doesnt tarnish any of our teams accomplishments I dont think

Spray
11/26/2008, 08:00 PM
I don't know. It seems it draws the whole thing into a bad light and that is a shame for those guys.