PDA

View Full Version : 14 of 19 and ridiculously accurate

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2008, 11:06 AM
14 of 19 for 304 yards doesn't sound out of this world given Sam's standards (74%, 16 yds/attempt) . But I watched the game again on DVR and only 2 of those passes were not catchable. 1 was to Iggy on a fly pattern down the far (away from the camera) sideline and the CB had him completely covered. Sam may have been throwing it away because of coverage. The other one was to the near sideline and I couldn't tell what happened because the view was obscured by the players and coaches. 2 other incompletes were drops by Greshem that were right in his hands. The other incomplete was that back shoulder pass to Manny were he slipped coming out of his cut. It looked like the pass was perfect and Manny acted like it was his fault. I noticed that when most QBs get so few attempts, they have a hard time getting into a groove and struggle with accuracy - not so with Sam. I watch him every game, but he still amazes me.

8timechamps
11/25/2008, 11:11 AM
The funny thing is, on ESPN Gameday Final (after the game), they talked about Sam's night as being "solid" and "decent". But when they were going through some other games, there were QBs with similar stats, and they were "great" and "outstanding".

One was the Utah QB, who had very similar stats...he received the vaunted "helmet sticker" for his efforts.

All in all, I think ESPN has given the Sooners the credit they earned Saturday, it was just kinda 'typical' how they talked about Sam.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2008, 11:16 AM
Lewis got a helmet sticker from Holtz and he did have a very good game. But the interception was right in his hands and he barely got a hand on that RB to get the forced fumble. The entire defense played well, but the stars of the game were Bradford and Murray.

fadada1
11/25/2008, 11:24 AM
i'm not a fan of his, but it's the tiger woods effect.

sam's 14/19 seems pedestrian if we listen to the commentators. meaning, when anyone other than tigger makes a great shot, it's like nothing happened. but when tigger hits it close from the middle of the fairway - just like the other guy - it's the greatest shot in the history of golf.

now if tebow went 14/19 and 300+, they'd annoint him pope. tebow is a heck of a player, no doubt. but his 7/14 for 150 yards is HIGHLY unimpressive. yeah, he ran for 70 and all, but big deal, he also runs it 15+ times a game.

A-M
11/25/2008, 11:33 AM
The funny thing is, on ESPN Gameday Final (after the game), they talked about Sam's night as being "solid" and "decent". But when they were going through some other games, there were QBs with similar stats, and they were "great" and "outstanding".

One was the Utah QB, who had very similar stats...he received the vaunted "helmet sticker" for his efforts.

All in all, I think ESPN has given the Sooners the credit they earned Saturday, it was just kinda 'typical' how they talked about Sam.

I have noticed this myself. They seem to just slightly go over Sam's stats and move on to other things. He really is great and they over look him all during the game. Me thinks they don't want him to win any awards or something like that.:D

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2008, 12:02 PM
I have heard some announcers comment on his accuracy, so it is noticed by some in the know. He gets so many YAC because he hits guys in stride, so defenders can't close while the ball is in the air. The other thing I've noticed is the OU receivers don't make circus catches and it is because Sam doesn't give them a chance to. Last year, MK made all kinds of acrobatic catches, especially on the deep routes. Sam just wasn't accurate on deep throws last year (remember ISU?). He hasn't thrown many this year, but the ones he has have been dead on target. The only reasons that Sam doesn't have completion percentages like McCoy is that Greshem is always good for a drop or 2* and OU throws down field. Sam doesn't get that easy dink and dunk stuff and it shows in the yds/attempt which I think we lead the country.

*I won't get down on Greshem because the passes he does catch are devastating :D

8timechamps
11/25/2008, 12:05 PM
I have heard some announcers comment on his accuracy, so it is noticed by some in the know. He gets so many YAC because he hits guys in stride, so defenders can't close while the ball is in the air. The other thing I've noticed is the OU receivers don't make circus catches and it is because Sam doesn't give them a chance to. Last year, MK made all kinds of acrobatic catches, especially on the deep routes. Sam just wasn't accurate on deep throws last year (remember ISU?). He hasn't thrown many this year, but the ones he has have been dead on target. The only reasons that Sam doesn't have completion percentages like McCoy is that Greshem is always good for a drop or 2* and OU throws down field. Sam doesn't get that easy dink and dunk stuff and it shows in the yds/attempt which I think we lead the country.

*I won't get down on Greshem because the passes he does catch are devastating :D

Very good points.

Hot Rod
11/25/2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah, those are crazy stats. Every 4th catch was TD. I noticed that Iglesias only had 1 catch as well, that turned out to be a TD.

oupride
11/25/2008, 12:53 PM
I noticed all the different receivers that caught the ball. I can't wait to watch the game again!

JLEW1818
11/25/2008, 12:56 PM
The Heisman will be after the Big 12 Championship. I think whichever team gets in, their QB will take the award.

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/25/2008, 01:24 PM
When anyone other than tigger makes a great shot, it's like nothing happened. but when tigger hits it close from the middle of the fairway - just like the other guy - it's the greatest shot in the history of golf.

http://www.randywarden.ca/graphics/tigger-golf-08.gif

;)