PDA

View Full Version : Putting the shoe on the other foot..

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2008, 10:09 AM
Do you guys realize how pissed we would be if Texas was ranked ahead of us after OU beat them head to head and OU only had one loss?

That is all

Sooner in Tampa
11/25/2008, 10:10 AM
ummmm....yeah...but it is the nature of the beast right now.

1890MilesToNorman
11/25/2008, 10:12 AM
In my mind we beat Texas every year.

Hot Rod
11/25/2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah, had an argument with a Longhorn fan saying the same thing and he was like "uh, no...I'd pick OU". I said "yeah, sure you would. You'd be screaming 'Look what we did to Tech and you lost to them!' " Some people are such morans.

Iam4OUru
11/25/2008, 10:13 AM
Do you guys realize how pissed we would be if Texas was ranked ahead of us after OU beat them head to head and OU only had one loss?

That is all

They are ranked ahead of us.......

leavingthezoo
11/25/2008, 10:14 AM

Exactly.

Boomer.....
11/25/2008, 10:14 AM
They should have covered Crabtree better.

;)

Partial Qualifier
11/25/2008, 10:16 AM

Totally. If they go, I'd be upset. I the roles were reversed, I'd be completely livid.

But it's the difference in ideologies: "regular season = playoff" vs. "who looks the best right now". They win the first; we win the latter, assuming we win in Stillwater.

And you know what? It's Texas. **** 'em.

:D

Hot Rod
11/25/2008, 10:16 AM
They should have covered Crabtree better.

;)

WORD!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2008, 10:19 AM

I realize that seeing how all the polls are stickied and I can see...but its quite possible that it changes after this weekend...I was thinking hypothetically...next time I ll leave a footnote

tooslow
11/25/2008, 10:21 AM
You can make arguments either way.

As a Longwhorn, I'd have the blinders on and say it doesn't matter if OU looks like the top team in the Big XII currently, because we beat them several weeks ago head to head. Our loss to Tech was a fluke on a last second play. Besides, we lost our best defensive player, Orakpo(??), to an injury in that game(Sound familiar? :D ).

In reality, we DO look like the better team near the end of the season. With the same record, you have to go with the team that is playing better. If there was a playoff, do UT fans think UT gets an automatic win against OU in a first round playoff game, just because they beat us earlier?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/25/2008, 10:24 AM
So, should Tech be pissed that Texas is ahead of them? In a three way tie, you can't rely on head to head because in the current case, it goes in a cirlce. It is like a dog chasing its tail, it would never end. Look at Tech's point. If UT goes to the National Championship, don't they own scoreboard over them? Makes no sense. If it was a two way tie, then yes. But this is mute point. We have the earliest loss and in college football, it is what have you done for me lately. This isn't new. It is like that every year!

Jason White's Third Knee
11/25/2008, 10:26 AM

That is all

Head, shoes, foot... who gives a ****?

GO OU!!!!! BOOOMER SOOOONER!!!

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 10:28 AM
So, should Tech be pissed that Texas is ahead of them? In a three way tie, you can't rely on head to head because in the current case, it goes in a cirlce. It is like a dog chasing its tail, it would never end. Look at Tech's point. If UT goes to the National Championship, don't they own scoreboard over them? Makes no sense. If it was a two way tie, then yes. But this is mute point. We have the earliest loss and in college football, it is what have you done for me lately. This isn't new. It is like that every year!

No.. Tech waived any argument it had that it should be considered for the national championship when they lost by SIX touchdowns. Champions do not lose by SIX touchdowns... ever.

Iam4OUru
11/25/2008, 10:29 AM
I realize that seeing how all the polls are stickied and I can see...but its quite possible that it changes after this weekend...I was thinking hypothetically...next time I ll leave a footnote

just messin' with ya.....:)

If I lose my bet I think the Sooners play for the conference title.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2008, 10:32 AM
just messin' with ya.....:)

If I lose my bet I think the Sooners play for the conference title.

its all good:D

I just posted that to see what kind of responses I would get...pretty much what I expected

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 10:33 AM
So, should Tech be pissed that Texas is ahead of them? In a three way tie, you can't rely on head to head

Exactly.

The only reason we're having this discussion is precisely because you CAN'T rely on head-to-head. If head-to-head mattered, Texas would own the Big 12 South Championship outright. They don't.

BigRedJed
11/25/2008, 10:33 AM
I for one hope that Alabama and Florida miraculously tank in the next couple of weeks. I would LOVE to see this team get another shot at Texas in the BCS championship. And I seriously doubt that they would want to play OU again. It would make for a great championship game. Talk about adding to the lore of the rivalry...

Widescreen
11/25/2008, 10:34 AM
So, should Tech be pissed that Texas is ahead of them? In a three way tie, you can't rely on head to head because in the current case, it goes in a cirlce.
This is exactly what I'm saying. This isn't the SEC. The Big 12 rules state that if there are 3 teams that have the same record that all beat each other, the head-to-head argument goes out the window. Texas fans and their sycophants in the media need to get over themselves. By the SEC rules, you can throw the Tech games away. In the Big 12, YOU CAN'T. Is that the way it should work? Maybe not. But given the way the rules are, they're being disingenuous if you argue head-to-head.

1890MilesToNorman
11/25/2008, 10:34 AM
No.. Tech waived any argument it had that it should be considered for the national championship when they lost by SIX touchdowns. Champions do not lose by SIX touchdowns... ever.

But Texas loses to those losers, what kind of a statement does that make?

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 10:37 AM

Wait, do style points matter or not? Or do they only matter when discrediting Tech, but not when crediting OU?

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 10:42 AM
I for one hope that Alabama and Florida miraculously tank in the next couple of weeks. I would LOVE to see this team get another shot at Texas in the BCS championship. And I seriously doubt that they would want to play OU again. It would make for a great championship game. Talk about adding to the lore of the rivalry...

Think Lid said this on another thread and I agree with him that Texas fans would love to play OU in the championship game.

SoonerTank
11/25/2008, 10:45 AM

That is all

I'd be pissed STEP. But none of this may matter after this week end. Just let one of the 1 loss teams have a bad game and lose and all this is moot. I can't help what the poles or the computers do, so I'll just keep my flag outside my front door and hope for the best.

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 10:46 AM
Since Lid has opened the door to the "style points" argument, let's see where it goes.

Combined scores of the top 3 teams against each other:

Tech = 60 points scored, 98 points given up. -38 point differential.
Texas = 78 points scored, 74 points given up. 4 point differential.
OU = 100 points scored, 66 points given up. 34 point differential.

Now, if we take away 7 points scored from the two teams who got to play at home (home field advantage), we get:

Tech: -45 points
Texas: +4 points
OU: +27 points

So, Texas is still 3 touchdowns behind OU in this "style points" comparison of the "head-to-head" match-ups between the top 3 teams.

Good point, Lid.

tooslow
11/25/2008, 10:46 AM
But Texas loses to those losers, what kind of a statement does that make?

I was going to post the same thing! :D

If we end up in a 3 way tie, who has the better OOC schedule? Who else has a win over a possible BCS Conference Champion(we'll find out this weekend). Heck, who has the best LOSS? We lost early to Texas, who lost to Tech, who then lost to us. If Tech is considered losers, then our loss to Texas has to be considered the best loss, since Texas is a good team. Texas lost to losers, right? While you're at it, Tech should be between us, since their loss to us should be considered a "good" loss. :D

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 10:47 AM
Think Lid said this on another thread and I agree with him that Texas fans would love to play anyone in the championship game.

Fixed.

Boomer.....
11/25/2008, 10:47 AM
An OU vs UT MNC would be GINORMOUS!!

BigRedJed
11/25/2008, 10:48 AM
Fixed.
Heh.

The Maestro
11/25/2008, 10:49 AM
Maybe the next few weeks will prove that OU and Texas are the two best teams. That would be an epic battle. But, if not, I certainly understand them being pissed about it and my only response is two words.

Gideon.

Drop.

It was that simple and then this would all be a moot point.

Since he didn't catch the floater that hit him between the numbers, the chaos ensues and you have to let the chips fall where they may. The system was in place before the season started, so you have to be subject to its results. That goes for both programs.

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 10:50 AM
Wait, do style points matter or not? Or do they only matter when discrediting Tech, but not when crediting OU?

Of course style points matter or at least should. Of the three losses by OU, Texas, and Tech...which is the "worst" loss? THAT is why they are not in consideration. And style points should eliminate Florida from discussion given an at home loss to Ole Miss (which is on the verge of going 8-4 and going to the Cotton Bowl).

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 10:54 AM
back to the original poster's opinion... were the roles reversed, the wailing and gnashing of tooth on here would be of epic proportions.. screams of conspiracy, ESPN hates us.. the refs hate us, the networks hate us...

It would even be worse than the two pages of whining threads on here after we beat you by 10 points whining about the refs.

It would be epic.

It would be...

GLORIOUS.

TopDawg
11/25/2008, 10:54 AM
Of course style points matter or at least should. Of the three losses by OU, Texas, and Tech...which is the "worst" loss? THAT is why they are not in consideration.

Well according to Lid, we lost to a championship caliber team and Texas lost to an inferior team.

So which is the worst loss?

TopDawg
11/25/2008, 10:55 AM
It would be epic.

It would be...

GLORIOUS.

I'm glad you can understand how much we're enjoying this.

All you can do is imagine how much you'd be enjoying it.

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 10:55 AM
Of course style points matter or at least should. Of the three losses by OU, Texas, and Tech...which is the "worst" loss? THAT is why they are not in consideration.

So isn't Texas' loss "worse" than OU's loss? Given that Texas is such a great team and all? And given that Tech was exposed as a fraud by losing by SIX touchdowns?

All signs point toward OU playing in the CCG.

IowaSooner26
11/25/2008, 10:56 AM

And champions don't lose to teams that lose by SIX touchdowns either

BigRedJed
Of course style points matter or at least should. Of the three losses by OU, Texas, and Tech...which is the "worst" loss? THAT is why they are not in consideration. And style points should eliminate Florida from discussion given an at home loss to Ole Miss (which is on the verge of going 8-4 and going to the Cotton Bowl).
Yeah, but Florida will have an edge because they look good these days. And they're in the SEC. It's an unfair system. For what it's worth, if I were a Texas fan -- perish the thought -- I'd be bitching and moaning (a bit) if they didn't make it. Just like I will be (a bit) if OU doesn't make it. The system, in a word, sucks. Pretty much EVERYBODY agrees that there should be a playoff of sorts. Everybody except the people who matter.

The lesson to be learned here: win all of your games or quitcherbitchin.

:les: AND BEAT TEXAS, DAMMIT!!

stoopified
The UT arguement IS CORRECT except for that pesky losing to TT thingy.If you accept that UT is better than OU because of a head to head win,then TT is better than UT so TT should be ahead of UT and therefore ahead of OU .The problem with that is OU destroyed TT.That throws the head to head arguement out the window.

Since that RR game in Dallas OU is 5-0with a thrashing 65-21 of TT,UT is 4-1 and LOST to TT.Obviously OU is playing beeter football now than UT.

What I enjoy most about this current situation is that it is lose-lose for UT.If we lose to T.BS the Horns are tied in the South with TT,Red Raiders have the tie-breaker,so UT sits home and watches OU throttle Missou(again).

If OU beats T,BS OU will get the BCS bump from beating the #12 Pukes,UT gets bumped down by playing lowly aTm( exactly the UF dropped playing THE CITADEL) and OU passes the Vomit Orange Cows in the BCS.The result is UT sits home and watches OU throttle Missou(again).Christmas has come early in Soonerland.

TopDawg

heh...I think we've firmly established that now.

TMcGee86
11/25/2008, 10:57 AM
What's stupid is we shouldn't be arguing with Texas anyway.

We should be arguing that Flordia doesnt deserve the shot even if they beat Bama.

Losing to an unranked team at home is worse than a neutral field loss to a top 5 program, and an on the road loss to a top 5 program.

If Florida beats Bama, the NCG should be OU v. UT.

BigRedJed
11/25/2008, 10:59 AM
Exactly. Except that the world has a hardon for SEC football, so there goes that idea.

TMcGee86
11/25/2008, 11:00 AM
What I enjoy most about this current situation is that it is lose-lose for UT.If we lose to T.BS the Horns are tied in the South with TT,Red Raiders have the tie-breaker,so UT sits home and watches OU throttle Missou(again).

Wouldn't that be TTU throttling Missou? Seeing as how we would have two losses and be out of the equation.

BermudaSooner
11/25/2008, 11:02 AM

So, if the OU-Tech game had been close, they should be considered in the 3 way discussion. So because OU beat Tech so badly we move to head to head, which Texas wins. Ergo, OU beating Tech badly means OU doesn't go.

TUSooner
11/25/2008, 11:03 AM

But it's the difference in ideologies: "regular season = playoff" vs. "who looks the best right now". They win the first; we win the latter, assuming we win in Stillwater....

Word. If this doesn't put the lie to that absolute total complete nonsense that "every week is a playoff" I don't know what will. Heck, I don't know how anybody could even utter that "regular season = playoff" crap after LesSU squirreled its way to the MNC with 2 losses last season. Anybody who could argue against a playoff any more is either a complete fool, a university president, or the chairman of a bowl committee.

But to get on point: Yeah, I'd be steaming if we beat UT and had the same record but were ranked below them. But a little steaming aside, I still wouldn't be naive: I know that's just how this totally effed up system works.

fadada1
11/25/2008, 11:05 AM
a couple thoughts:

this whole thing is worse than previous years. worse than 2000 with miami and fsu, worse than the auburn thing (even though OU and usc were ranked #1 and #2 all year), worse than nebraska, and even worse than us after losing to kstate. it wouldn't take much effort to change this whole thing for next season.

florida's loss sucks - plain and simple. i find myself complaining more over that than anything (and i'm a florida alumni!!!).

stoops logic makes sense - plain and simple. you have to consider all the scenerios. texas beat us, tech beat texas, we killed tech. if logic works for one team, it must work for another.

usc shouldn't even be in the conversation.

on a side note about the heisman: WE NEED TO CLOBBER OSU THIS WEEKEND!!!! for sam's sake, he needs another big game this weekend to take the spotlight off ponyboy in the big12 champ. i know he doesn't think about it, but we (as fans) do. one more week of playing will get him the trophy.

PDXsooner
11/25/2008, 11:06 AM
i agree with the original post -- but applying rationale to such an irrational thing (the emotions of sports fans) will never add up. of course we'd be pissed, but screw texas!!!

TMcGee86
11/25/2008, 11:10 AM
Word. If this doesn't put the lie to that absolute total complete nonsense that "every week is a playoff" I don't know what will.

Soooooooooo true.

If every week were a playoff, Bama could claim a NC right now.

(actually, that may already be happening :D )

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 11:11 AM

If we end up in a 3 way tie, who has the better OOC schedule? Who else has a win over a possible BCS Conference Champion(we'll find out this weekend). Heck, who has the best LOSS? We lost early to Texas, who lost to Tech, who then lost to us. If Tech is considered losers, then our loss to Texas has to be considered the best loss, since Texas is a good team. Texas lost to losers, right? While you're at it, Tech should be between us, since their loss to us should be considered a "good" loss. :D

Tech's was a "good" loss? You really think that?

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 11:12 AM

And champions don't lose by double digits to a team that got squeeked out to teams that lost by SIX touchdowns.

See how easy it is.

TMcGee86
11/25/2008, 11:14 AM
And champions don't lose by double digits to a team that got squeeked out to teams that lost by SIX touchdowns.

See how easy it is.

Exactly right, champions get cheated by the refs with phantom non-ints and bs personal fouls allowing the other team to win.

fadada1
11/25/2008, 11:16 AM
weren't each of our (OU, tex, ttech) losses to the #5 ranked team? if so, i would say point differential would make sense. additionally, if that is the case, either we ALL have a case for being in the CCG, or NONE of us have a case.

leavingthezoo
11/25/2008, 11:21 AM

Do champions lose to teams who lose by SIX touchdowns... ever?

I don't think this question has been asked enough. Almost, but not quite. :D

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 11:25 AM

If we end up in a 3 way tie, who has the better OOC schedule? :D

Assuming a 3-way tie everyone knows how the BCS standings will be used and I know that OOC schedule is part of the BCS equation. But in this unique situation, OOC schedule should ideally not be a part of the tie-breaking equation inside the conference. Win and losses against TCU, Arkansas, Rice, and Washington have no bearing on conference standing in normal years but yet they do here because of the tie-breaker. Anyone would be hard-pressed to make the argument that the team which beat the winners of both divisions of the Big 12 is somehow undeserving of a slot in the conference title game.

The Maestro
11/25/2008, 11:29 AM
I feel like I am watching a women's tennis match at the French Open. Lobs back and forth, back and forth...nothing ever decided.

This argument is dead. Let's move on to something where people's minds change ALL the time...like abortion! :)

All we can do is watch the games then wait and see...

OUDoc
11/25/2008, 11:38 AM

That is all

Yup. That's why it'll be so funny. :)

SoonerJack
11/25/2008, 12:01 PM
Pretty much EVERYBODY agrees that there should be a playoff of sorts. Everybody except the people who matter.

We need to start eliminating "the people who matter." Get them bumped down into jobs where they are no longer "the people who matter."

Start a dirty tricks campaign
steal some of their business cards and leave 'em in questionable establishments
hire some floosies to set em up
etc.

yeah, that's the ticket.

TopDawg
11/25/2008, 12:04 PM
Soooooooooo true.

If every week were a playoff, Bama could claim a NC right now.

(actually, that may already be happening :D )

I like what you did there...but there are still 3 other undefeated teams: Boise State, Ball State and Utah.

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 12:11 PM
Real simple solution....

Florida loses to Florida State.

Florida beats Bammer.

We mudhole aggy.

You win out.

See you hillbillies in Miami where you will do your annual bowl game loss.

fadada1
11/25/2008, 12:15 PM
Real simple solution....

Florida beats Bammer.

We mudhole aggy.

You win out.

i dearly hope ya'll end up in the holiday bowl.;)

TopDawg
11/25/2008, 12:16 PM
Will you have time to change your Holiday Bowl reservations?

TopDawg
11/25/2008, 12:17 PM
Dammit fadada!

fadada1
11/25/2008, 12:18 PM
Dammit fadada!

great minds think alike!!!:D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2008, 12:23 PM
and you guys do to!:D

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 12:28 PM
Dont knock the Holiday Bowl. .it's the only bowl Stoopsie can win without John Blake's kids!

Was Reagan or Clinton in the White House the last time you won a bowl game? ;)

OUDoc
11/25/2008, 12:30 PM
Dont knock the Holiday Bowl. .it's the only bowl Stoopsie can win without John Blake's kids!

Was Reagan or Clinton in the White House the last time you won a bowl game? ;)

Let's hope you're still this funny when texas gets left out.
Again.

fadada1
11/25/2008, 12:32 PM
"YOU'RE A LOUSY STINKIN' SOFTBALL PLAYER, LID!!!!"

i got nuthin'

TexasEx4OU
11/25/2008, 12:39 PM
Real simple solution....

Florida beats Bammer.

We mudhole aggy.

You win out.

If this happens (and I would give my left testicle for it to happen), can we just open the Fairgrounds and play it in Dallas? The food's better (mmmmm....corndogs).

TopDawg
11/25/2008, 12:46 PM

He did win the Rose Bowl with maybe one or two of Blake's kids still around. But none of them were as good as Vince Young who is the only reason Texas has even made it to a BCS bowl under Mack Brown.

Maybe this year we'll get to see if Mack can win a BCS bowl with an offensive philosophy that's more than "Go Vince, Go." If he does get a rematch with OU, I think even you're afraid that the answer is no.

Dan Thompson
11/25/2008, 12:47 PM
Do you realizle we would have won the UT game if...

OKLA21FAN
11/25/2008, 12:51 PM
has it been mentioned that precedent has been set in the BCS when it comes to 3 way ties and not going with head-to-head?

See OU's opponent during '#7'.

it happens :pop:

RedstickSooner
11/25/2008, 12:52 PM
Three teams. Three losses. Round robin.

Gee, shame none of them stood out from the others in any of those three wins. That'd make it *so* much easier to pick out the winner.

oupride
11/25/2008, 12:54 PM
Well, it is nice to know that the more things change the more things stay the same. Losing late in the season hurts you worse than losing early.

Hot Rod
11/25/2008, 01:12 PM
Well, it is nice to know that the more things change the more things stay the same. Losing late in the season hurts you worse than losing early.

True look at Florida and USuck

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 01:13 PM
Anyone would be hard-pressed to make the argument that the team which beat the winners of both divisions of the Big 12 is somehow undeserving of a slot in the conference title game.

You mean like 2001, when OU beat Texas but Texas went on to play (and lose) in the CCG anyway?

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 01:14 PM

But you have to admit that he's got a knack for winning those Conference Championships. :D

JLMSOONER
11/25/2008, 01:15 PM
Honestly, all is fair in love, war and apparently football! It sucks that it may (big may) come down to a 3 way tie with each beating the other. No matter how it ends up, one team is going to be pissed. A rematch with Texas would be great, but unlikely. I would hate to be out looking in in Texas situation. Does Texas want a rematch with the Sooners?? I don't know. It is better to lose early. That's been the history for a while. The polls are progressive. Each week is different because things change so much anymore. Lot's of people lose that are suppose to win. I think it has to be this way. Each week has to be gauged from the previous weeks ranking. Not from a "well, they lost a game 7 weeks ago so let's drop them down now since things are really screwed up". This week the winners moved up like they should. It's unfortunate for Texas that they play a bad atm team to finish out and fortunate for the Sooners that osu is at a point where they could have their best season ever. Throw away the texas loss and the Sooner loss and we are even up! But, we play a tougher opponent to finish up. I'm just sayin'!

cvsooner
11/25/2008, 01:23 PM
a couple thoughts:

florida's loss sucks - plain and simple. i find myself complaining more over that than anything (and i'm a florida alumni!!!).

usc shouldn't even be in the conversation.

Actually, if anybody has a right to gripe, from my perspective, it's USC. Their sole loss was by a touchdown on the road to what is now a ranked team. Florida lost by a point at home to an unranked team (that's still unranked, though the victory over LSU helps that a bit.) USC's other wins have been solid, if not spectacular, and living out here on the West Coast, I've seen USC play a fair amount. It's a very good defense, maybe the best in the country. Penn State lost on the road to Iowa by, what, three points? I think they've got a right to be pissed as well.

And then there's Utah....12-0 with a couple of good wins and not even in the MNC talk.

I think that's why USC et al keep coming up in the conversation.

I agree with your very first point. This might be the worst season ever for picking who goes. It's way too subjective. It's as bad as figure skating.

tooslow
11/25/2008, 01:23 PM
Tech's was a "good" loss? You really think that?

I'm just comparing the head to head losses between the 3 teams. Lidig8r said earlier that Tech was a lousy team. I think both OU and Texas have good teams. We lose to a good team, Texas, who then loses to a lousy team, who then loses to a great OU team. Put it this way, our only loss was to the current #2 BCS team. Tech lost to current #3. Texas lost to current #7. At 10-1, with wins against each other, it is really hard to determine who should go. Unfortunately, a lot of fans think there will be a 3 way tie after this weekend. All of this talk may be a moot point later this weekend. I hope all 3 teams win, so there can be more BCS controversy. The system needs to be fixed. Hell, maybe the Big XII, based on what's happened about every year, will place OU and Texas in opposite divisions. Not gonna happen, though. If it did, you'd have several years of them trading losses and knocking one another out of a possible Championship game, which would be bad for the Big XII. :rolleyes:

Anyone would be hard-pressed to make the argument that the team which beat the winners of both divisions of the Big 12 is somehow undeserving of a slot in the conference title game.

I can't disagree with you there. You have to remember that neither OU or Tech played Missouri. So....... since you guys already beat Missouri, then let OU and Tech play each other to decide who plays Mizzou. You know, Texas could actually benefit from NOT playing in the Big XII Championship game. If OU or Tech goes on and loses, with Texas being 11-1, there would be no way Texas would not be playing in the BCS Championship game. Hell, even if Tech wins the Big XII, I can't see them making it up in the polls to jump Texas. Wow! I just thought of something after that statement. New thread coming.....

cvsooner
11/25/2008, 01:25 PM
He did win the Rose Bowl with maybe one or two of Blake's kids still around. But none of them were as good as Vince Young who is the only reason Texas has even made it to a BCS bowl under Mack Brown.

Maybe this year we'll get to see if Mack can win a BCS bowl with an offensive philosophy that's more than "Go Vince, Go." If he does get a rematch with OU, I think even you're afraid that the answer is no.

Now the philosophy is "Go Colt Go." It looks like the same offense but without a running game and a better pure passer.

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 01:26 PM
You mean like 2001, when OU beat Texas but Texas went on to play (and lose) in the CCG anyway?

Guessing that reading and comprehension are not two of your stronger suits. Did you miss this little phrase at the beginning of the post: "Assuming a 3-way tie..."? That little phrase serves as a preface for that which followed...following along? And enlighten us as to the participants in the 3-way tie in 2001?

cvsooner
Look, just to simplify things and sort it all out, Whorns, why dontcha lose to A & M Thursday night? 'Kay? That would certainly fix it once and for all.

Jacie
back to the original poster's opinion... were the roles reversed, the wailing and gnashing of tooth on here would be of epic proportions.. screams of conspiracy, ESPN hates us.. the refs hate us, the networks hate us...

It would even be worse than the two pages of whining threads on here after we beat you by 10 points whining about the refs.

It would be epic.

It would be...

GLORIOUS.

But, the roles are not reversed.

That makes the Texas fans . . . crybabies.

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 01:30 PM
I'm just comparing the head to head losses between the 3 teams. Lidig8r said earlier that Tech was a lousy team.

NO I did not.

Au contraire.. this is probably Tech's best team they have had under Leach.. in fact... no probably at all. Their game against you got away from them.. much like your game against USC a few years ago. It is an unfortunate reality that sometimes when that boulder gets rolling downhill..nothin' is gonna stop it.

tooslow
11/25/2008, 01:36 PM
NO I did not.

You sir, are correct.

My apologies. I was too lazy to go back and see exactly what you said. However, it does seem that you implied Tech is a "lousy" team by your statement, does it not? :D

My argument is the same. OU lost to a team that is considered National Championship material, same with Tech's loss. If you consider Tech not being Championship material, then Texas lost to an inferior team. To me, that's a bad loss. Of course, we're not at all biased, right? ;)

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 01:38 PM

Dawg.. you flippin hillbilly.

Sure there was Vince.. then...

Sendlein, Blaylock, Studdard and Scott, all on the offensive line, all playing in the NFL.

And Dave Thomas, the tight end, playing in the NFL...

And.. Limas Sweed, wide receiver, playing in the NFL...

and Jamaal Charles, Ahmad Hall and Selvin Young, running backs all playing in the NFL...

And..

Robison and Tim Crowder and Rod Wright and Frank Okam and Orakpo.. all defensive linemen, all playing (or about to play) in the NFL.

and Terrell Brown and Ced Griffin and Aaron Ross and Michael Huff and Michael Griffin.. all NFL players as defensive backs...

Besides all those players.. it was all about Vince. :rolleyes:

htownsooner7
11/25/2008, 01:40 PM
What is being lost in translation here from all the Texas fans is that Tech was drilling UT for much of that game. Texas then puts together a nice comeback but still loses. And then they say, we should've won so our loss is better than everyone else's. Why? You were down by 19. Mccoy looked bad during parts of that game and threw a costly pick 6. And, most importantly, you lost. That's all that matters. Tech is not afraid to play a rematch against Texas. They don't want to play OU. Hell, for that matter, Oklahoma State would LOVE to play UT again. So by way of recap, UT beats OU in a game that they were trailing on 5 separate occasions. UT beats a Missouri team that is barely one of the best 15 teams in the country. UT beats OSU by 4 at home, Mccoy threw two more costly picks and OSU had the ball with the opportunity to win but didn't. And UT was down by 19 to Tech, tried for a miracle comeback, and still lost. There is no way to say they are the clear-cut favorite to represent the Big 12 South.

MI Sooner
11/25/2008, 01:46 PM

Didn't this happen in 2005, or did you not play Nebraska that year?

sooner n houston
11/25/2008, 01:46 PM

It would be epic.

It would be...

GLORIOUS.

You mean kinda like the Texas boards look now? :D

htownsooner7
11/25/2008, 01:52 PM
Dawg.. you flippin hillbilly.

Sure there was Vince.. then...

Sendlein, Blaylock, Studdard and Scott, all on the offensive line, all playing in the NFL.

And Dave Thomas, the tight end, playing in the NFL...

And.. Limas Sweed, wide receiver, playing in the NFL...

and Jamaal Charles, Ahmad Hall and Selvin Young, running backs all playing in the NFL...

And..

Robison and Tim Crowder and Rod Wright and Frank Okam and Orakpo.. all defensive linemen, all playing (or about to play) in the NFL.

and Terrell Brown and Ced Griffin and Aaron Ross and Michael Huff and Michael Griffin.. all NFL players as defensive backs...

Besides all those players.. it was all about Vince. :rolleyes:

Man that's a lot of great players! You sure can win a few Holiday/Alamo Bowls with that lineup. 2 BCS games with all those players IS AN UNDERACHIEVEMENT. And actually, Brown had to bitch his way into one of those games as well so that Texas could win such a "classic" game against a 4 loss Michigan team.

Hot Rod
11/25/2008, 01:53 PM
You mean kinda like the Texas boards look now? :D

Heck, I read somewhere where Longhorn fans were e-mailing sports writers as they OU/tech game was going on trying to plead their case! Talk about desperate.

Leroy Lizard
11/25/2008, 02:03 PM
Both sides have legitimate arguments. Obviously, UT's is the head-to-head matchup, which is pretty convincing. However, if Tech is so bad that OU can blow them out 65-14, what business did UT have in losing to them?

Sure, OU played them on their home field. But I seriously doubt any home field advantage amounts to 41 points. After all, what help is the crowd in covering Crabtree? How is it that the crowd prevented UT from getting to Harrell?

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 02:09 PM
Both sides have legitimate arguments. Obviously, UT's is the head-to-head matchup, which is pretty convincing. However, if Tech is so bad that OU can blow them out 65-14, what business did UT have in losing to them?

Sure, OU played them on their home field. But I seriously doubt any home field advantage amounts to 41 points. After all, what help is the crowd in covering Crabtree? How is it that the crowd prevented UT from getting to Harrell?

Come on its obvious! Texas' defenders were being yelled at by the crowd and were scared.

tooslow
11/25/2008, 02:10 PM

Here's a good one. Did Texas really need home field to beat Okie State? 6pts at home? So Okie State on a neutral field is a better team? :pop:

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 02:11 PM
Guessing that reading and comprehension are not two of your stronger suits. Did you miss this little phrase at the beginning of the post: "Assuming a 3-way tie..."? That little phrase serves as a preface for that which followed...following along? And enlighten us as to the participants in the 3-way tie in 2001?

No, I think I get it now.

"Assuming a 3-way tie, we should use a tie-breaker formula that favors my team. Let's see, how about I use a win against a team that the other two teams didn't even play to justify my position."

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 02:13 PM
Here's a good one. Did Texas really need home field to beat Okie State? 6pts at home? So Okie State on a neutral field is a better team? :pop:

Yes, given the extreme advantage of playing at home (according to the resident horn fans), Okie State is better than Texas and should have actually won the game in Austin.

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 02:14 PM
No, I think I get it now.

"Assuming a 3-way tie, we should use a tie-breaker formula that favors my team. Let's see, how about I use a win against a team that the other two teams didn't even play to justify my position."

Thanks for proving my point.

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 02:15 PM

Played Colorado in the Big 12 Championship that year.

TopDawg
11/25/2008, 02:18 PM
it was all about Vince.

I'm glad you agree.

;)

Lid, I thought it was pretty obvious we were exchanging tongue-in-cheek comments. No need to get all bent out of shape over it.

You Longhorns are so uptight these days. Mellow out, hillbilly.

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 02:20 PM

In 2001 Texas played in the CCG after losing to OU.

ouwasp
11/25/2008, 02:20 PM
Haen't read through all the pages; here's my gut response to the original question...

Sooner fans would be raising hell like another Oregon, or worse!

But, since we did get jobbed at Oregon and TTech, along with '84 Texas, and '71 Neb... well maybe this is the football gods' way of handing out some payback.

Leroy Lizard
11/25/2008, 02:22 PM
Look at Tech's point. If UT goes to the National Championship, don't they own scoreboard over them?

But UT lost on the road. Road losses don't count as losses. It's as if the game was never played.

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 02:28 PM
In 2001 Texas played in the CCG after losing to OU.

Kind of like OU playing in the CCG in 2006 after being defeated by Texas. All of which proves absolutely nothing.

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 02:29 PM
Kind of like OU playing in the CCG in 2006 after being defeated by Texas. All of which proves absolutely nothing.

It proves that a head-to-head victory doesn't mean a free ticket to the CCG. Something your "45-35" friends over on hornfans don't seem to understand.

OUDoc
11/25/2008, 02:30 PM

It proves texas gets overlooked a lot, just like this year.

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 02:35 PM
It proves that a head-to-head victory doesn't mean a free ticket to the CCG. Something your "45-35" friends over on hornfans don't seem to understand.

Does nothing of the sort. OU playing in the CCG after being defeated by Texas was solely a function of an absolute meltdown by Texas at the end of that season.

But you still haven't answered my question about the 3-way tie in 2001? Or are you conveniently trying to move past that one?

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 02:40 PM
I'll type slowly so you can understand.

Just because you beat the champion earlier in the year doesn't make you the champion at the end of the year.

Twice in the last 7 years the loser of the OU/TX game has gone on to play in the CCG. Correction, make that 3 times in the last 8 years as of 11/30.

sooneron
11/25/2008, 02:44 PM
scUMiami of 2000 is calling, whorns...

tooslow
11/25/2008, 02:50 PM
But you still haven't answered my question about the 3-way tie in 2001? Or are you conveniently trying to move past that one?

Can you explain the 3-way tie in 2001? In the South, Texas only lost to OU, OU had 2 losses. Texas is the South Champ. :confused:

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 02:57 PM
Can you explain the 3-way tie in 2001? In the South, Texas only lost to OU, OU had 2 losses. Texas is the South Champ. :confused:

His point is that there was no 3-way tie in 2001. My point is that the winner of the OU/TX game doesn't automatically go to the CCG.

He wants you to believe that head-to-head only matters if there is a 3-way tie, when in fact, exactly the opposite is true.

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 03:09 PM
His point is that there was no 3-way tie in 2001. My point is that the winner of the OU/TX game doesn't automatically go to the CCG.

He wants you to believe that head-to-head only matters if there is a 3-way tie, when in fact, exactly the opposite is true.

Will address this one last time as reading comprehension is really proving to be a weakness for you...then I'm done.

My original post was prefaced by "Assuming there was a 3-way tie...". You then took a statement from the end...which has been qualified by my assumption...and asked about 2001. You now are taking my original comment out of context and spinning it to confuse the masses. You have a bright future as a staffer in the new Obama administration.

GrapevineSooner
11/25/2008, 03:09 PM
To answer the original question posed in this thread...

I'd be hoping the chips simply fell our way, just as I'm hoping they fall our way under the current set of circumstances.

Now would I be hoping that our head to head win over Texas would be carrying a lot of weight in the voters' minds?

Guilty as charged.

But I wouldn't be looking at it as 'there's no way you can drop us below Texas because we beat them' knowing damn well that we lost to the other team involved in the three way tie. Like it or not, Lid, there are a number of Horns fans on your side that are looking at it just like that. To do so is intellectually dishonest.

And you brought up that championship teams don't lose by 6 TD's. Point well taken. Remind me which team it was that gave them that beat down. Now, shouldn't that factor into the tiebreak in any way?

UTgolfer
11/25/2008, 03:10 PM

There was no 3-way tie in 2001...but don't tell that to dawg.

Stoop Dawg
11/25/2008, 03:32 PM
His point is that there was no 3-way tie in 2001.

There was no 3-way tie in 2001...but don't tell that to dawg.

You were saying something about reading comprehension?