Dio
11/25/2008, 02:02 AM
We need to give these bozos an extra warm greeting tonight

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/355735_moore20.html

Last updated March 19, 2008 10:30 p.m. PT
Shaq shares in fans' dismay

By JIM MOORE
P-I COLUMNIST

THE PHOENIX SUNS beat writer said Shaquille O'Neal didn't usually talk to reporters before games, so I walked into the visiting locker room thinking he wouldn't have much to say, if anything at all.

Grant Hill was seated next to O'Neal, and I thought, well, if I ask Hill a few questions about the Sonics and their situation here, maybe the big fella would join the conversation.

Sure enough, he did. Want to know what Shaq thinks about the Sonics' possible move to Oklahoma City? He feels like most Sonics fans.

"It's dumb, it's stupid," O'Neal said. "They should have to wait from the bottom like everyone else."

I'm not sure what that meant, but since Shaq said it, I wrote it down. I'm assuming he thinks Oklahoma City should have to wait for an expansion team instead of taking someone else's.

"Seattle has tradition, the Space Needle, and there's water here," Shaq said. "Oklahoma City's a college town. You're not going to have the TV market there."

He was just getting warmed up.

"When I think of Seattle, I think of G.P., the Reign Man, Sikma, Lenny Wilkens," Shaq said. "The Oklahoma City Sonics? When my son asks me about that, I'll say there's no such thing."

He said he'd rather play in Seattle than Oklahoma City any day of the week, month and decade.

But Wednesday night's game might have been the last in Seattle for the Big Aristotle, an NBA legend who was acquired by Phoenix from Miami on Feb. 6. He is asked if he can recall his greatest game here, and he doesn't think he had any.

"But I had a lot of good ones," Shaq said.

Like most of the Suns, he is unfamiliar with the problems that have led to the possible end of the Sonics' 41-year history in Seattle, but it sounds like he'd back Mayor Greg Nickels in his verbal battles with NBA commissioner David Stern. He thinks if the Sonics had a better team, there would be more support from the community.

"If you don't have the players, people aren't going to pay," Shaq said. "If LeBron was here, you wouldn't have these issues. The young fella (Kevin Durant) has the potential to be like that, but (it's going to take) three to five years."

When you listen to Hill and Shaq, you determine that most NBA players prefer Seattle to Oklahoma City.

"That's a bad road trip," Hill said of Oklahoma City. "It's cold. This shouldn't happen. Seattle's a great market, a great city, and I would think there's a lot of money in this city. It's a shame. They had a good product.

Dio
11/25/2008, 08:19 AM
bump

Paperclip
11/25/2008, 02:35 PM
Oklahoma City is cold? Thank goodness the NBA doesn't play anywhere north of OKC.

vigilantesooner
11/25/2008, 11:04 PM
Yeah I hear the weather's greeeat in Seattle :rolleyes:

the_ouskull
12/1/2008, 11:06 PM
Grant Hill went to Duke. He should know better. Shaq is an idiot.

the_ouskull

IBleedCrimson
12/4/2008, 06:05 PM
talk about arrogant sobs

Sooner LockJaw
2/4/2009, 06:27 AM
Shaq has ALWAYS been a dumb-arse. I very much disliked his arse even before the ignorant comments about OKC.