PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dodd calls out the coaches."Keep coaches out of BCS process"

aurorasooner
11/24/2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/111 I do think each Coach's vote should be released to the press for publication. As far as him saying Texas ahead of OU ---Dennis did you vote Tech ahead of Texas or Missouri ahead of Okie State on your AP vote. --
Do I think funny stuff is going on? I think the overwhelming majority of voting coaches are honest and upstanding. I also believe coaches aren't immune to being human. They can hold grudges and have petty jealousies. Hey Dennis. Ever "sniffed"a SmellsofBourbon" vote?
Leach at least was up front Saturday, revealing a small part of his ballot. The 61 coaches who comprise the coaches poll that is overseen by the AFCA are only required to release their final ballots to the public after the regular season. That's a little bit like alerting an athlete that he is going to be drug tested.
Missouri's Gary Pinkel has a small hand in deciding who he wants to face in the Big 12 title game. The Tigers already have clinched the North Division. A three-way tie in the South would go to the highest-ranked BCS team.

"We don't have a hard and fast line (for flagging ballots)," said Craig Bennett, administrator of the coaches poll for USA Today. "Each ballot is subject to the sniff test."

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2008, 04:19 PM
If the 3-way tie happens, I'd bet Pinkel's vote would go to Tech.

Widescreen
11/24/2008, 04:44 PM
"We don't have a hard and fast line (for flagging ballots)," said Craig Bennett, administrator of the coaches poll for USA Today. "Each ballot is subject to the sniff test."
So if a ballot smells bad, what do they do? Clean it?

cvsooner
11/24/2008, 04:52 PM
But you also have to think Mike Stoops, Bo Pelini, Mark Mangino and so on would all vote for OU, too, while Gene Chizik would probably vote for Texas, while Leach could vote for OU or Tech, though he said he's voting for Tech. I guess it ultimately depends on who your friends are...and who has a dog in this hunt.

Dodd is right: the coaches poll really shouldn't be part of this.

I personally favor a one-game playoff between us and Texas. Or screw the North this year: just play the Big 12 conf. championship game between us and the 'horns.

aurorasooner
11/24/2008, 05:09 PM
But you also have to think Mike Stoops, Bo Pelini, Mark Mangino and so on would all vote for OU, too, while Gene Chizik would probably vote for Texas, while Leach could vote for OU or Tech, though he said he's voting for Tech. I guess it ultimately depends on who your friends are...and who has a dog in this hunt.

I personally favor a one-game playoff between us and Texas. Or screw the North this year: just play the Big 12 conf. championship game between us and the 'horns.

Agree. It depends on who has a vote and who you played. If the Cincy Coach and Patterson at TCU have a vote you'd think they'd vote OU ahead since they got drubbed. But then again, they might vote Texas ahead since they got hammered. Or if they lost a highly rated recruit last year to either Texas of OU then they might vote opposite of what they really believe. If I remember right, several years ago the whole Bowden coaching clan held a grudge against OU & rated us down for our FSU win in 2000. As far as screwing the Big 12 north, you can't just throw out the rules---See aTm back in '98 or KSU when they kicked our azz in KC. a "Rock, Paper, Scissors" Fox televised show among Bob, Mack, and Leach might be the fairest way to settle it if all 3 teams win this weekend.

Hot Rod
11/24/2008, 05:18 PM
Hmmm, maybe it does pay for Stoops' assistants to take head coaching jobs! :)

cvsooner
11/24/2008, 05:24 PM
Heck, the Bowdens and that old drunk both voted us down last year, along with Belotti up at Oregon. Pathetic. I think Schnelly had us at something like # 10?

Then, of course, we go out and lose to WVU and make those guys look like geniuses.

bri
11/24/2008, 05:27 PM
I personally favor a one-game playoff between us and Texas.

Didn't we already do that back in October?

BermudaSooner
11/24/2008, 05:38 PM

They don't all have votes. The voters are:

The USA TODAY Board of Coaches is made up of 61 head coaches at Division I-A institutions. All are members of the American Football Coaches Association. This season's board: Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech; Mike Bellotti, Oregon; Bret Bielema, Wisconsin; Bobby Bowden, Florida State; Tommy Bowden, Clemson; Art Briles, Baylor; Mack Brown, Texas; Neil Callaway, Alabama-Birmingham; Gene Chizik, Iowa State; Mario Cristobal, Florida International; Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State; Mark Dantonio, Michigan State; Butch Davis, North Carolina; Todd Dodge, North Texas; Randy Edsall, Connecticut; Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee; Jeff Genyk, Eastern Michigan; Turner Gill, Buffalo; Joe Glenn, Wyoming; Todd Graham, Tulsa; Jim Grobe, Wake Forest; Dan Hawkins, Colorado; Pat Hill, Fresno State; Butch Jones, Central Michigan; Steve Kragthorpe, Louisville; Mike Leach, Texas Tech; Jim Leavitt, South Florida; Rocky Long, New Mexico; Bill Lynch, Indiana; Doug Martin, Kent State; Urban Meyer, Florida; Les Miles, LSU; Shane Montgomery, Miami (Ohio); Hal Mumme, New Mexico State; Rick Neuheisel, UCLA; Tom O'Brien, North Carolina State; George O'Leary, Central Florida; Gary Patterson, TCU; Bo Pelini, Nebraska; Chris Petersen, Boise State; Gary Pinkel, Missouri; Mike Price, Texas-El Paso; Mark Richt, Georgia; Mike Riley, Oregon State; Rich Rodriguez, Michigan; Greg Schiano, Rutgers; Howard Schnellenberger, Florida Atlantic; Mark Snyder, Marshall; Frank Solich, Ohio; Steve Spurrier, South Carolina; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee; Jeff Tedford, California; Joe Tiller, Purdue; Bob Toledo, Tulane; Dick Tomey, San Jose State; Jim Tressel, Ohio State; Tommy Tuberville, Auburn; Charlie Weis, Notre Dame; Kyle Whittingham, Utah; Tyrone Willingham, Washington; Ron Zook, Illinois.

cvsooner
11/24/2008, 05:43 PM
No. That was before a three-way tie.

cvsooner
11/24/2008, 05:45 PM
I knew not all coaches participated in the poll. I was just going off the top of my head. It would be interesting to know how the Chris Petersens and Gary Patterson types would vote. I guess, clearly, for the moment, the coaches gave us enough votes. It's the computer factor that's holding us back.

OULenexaman
11/24/2008, 05:47 PM
and 3 of those dudes have been canned....

bri
11/24/2008, 06:00 PM
No. That was before a three-way tie.

Wow, you just made my head hurt.

Lott's Bandana
11/24/2008, 06:23 PM
They don't all have votes. The voters are:

The USA TODAY Board of Coaches is made up of 61 head coaches at Division I-A institutions. All are members of the American Football Coaches Association. This season's board: Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech; Mike Bellotti, Oregon; Bret Bielema, Wisconsin; Bobby Bowden, Florida State; Tommy Bowden, Clemson; Art Briles, Baylor; Mack Brown, Texas; Neil Callaway, Alabama-Birmingham; Gene Chizik, Iowa State; Mario Cristobal, Florida International; Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State; Mark Dantonio, Michigan State; Butch Davis, North Carolina; Todd Dodge, North Texas; Randy Edsall, Connecticut; Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee; Jeff Genyk, Eastern Michigan; Turner Gill, Buffalo; Joe Glenn, Wyoming; Todd Graham, Tulsa; Jim Grobe, Wake Forest; Dan Hawkins, Colorado; Pat Hill, Fresno State; Butch Jones, Central Michigan; Steve Kragthorpe, Louisville; Mike Leach, Texas Tech; Jim Leavitt, South Florida; Rocky Long, New Mexico; Bill Lynch, Indiana; Doug Martin, Kent State; Urban Meyer, Florida; Les Miles, LSU; Shane Montgomery, Miami (Ohio); Hal Mumme, New Mexico State; Rick Neuheisel, UCLA; Tom O'Brien, North Carolina State; George O'Leary, Central Florida; Gary Patterson, TCU; Bo Pelini, Nebraska; Chris Petersen, Boise State; Gary Pinkel, Missouri; Mike Price, Texas-El Paso; Mark Richt, Georgia; Mike Riley, Oregon State; Rich Rodriguez, Michigan; Greg Schiano, Rutgers; Howard that old drunk, Florida Atlantic; Mark Snyder, Marshall; Frank Solich, Ohio; Steve Spurrier, South Carolina; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee; Jeff Tedford, California; Joe Tiller, Purdue; Bob Toledo, Tulane; Dick Tomey, San Jose State; Jim Tressel, Ohio State; Tommy Tuberville, Auburn; Charlie Weis, Notre Dame; Kyle Whittingham, Utah; Tyrone Willingham, Washington; Ron Zook, Illinois.

Colors are for allies to a program that I am aware of, perhaps for not-so-obvious reasons.

Bold is a TT vote.

Mike Leach said he would put OU ahead of Texas. Did he say he'd have Tech ahead of both? I wouldn't be surprised if he had OU ahead of his team...we did get (4) first-place votes. (Spurrier, Leach, ?, ?)

Widescreen
11/24/2008, 06:42 PM
Interesting. Why do you think that Graham and Kragthorpe would vote for OU?

Lott's Bandana
11/24/2008, 07:59 PM
Because Graham and Stoops attend a lot of the same off-season functions and I am PRESUMING there is an in-state respect for each other. (I realize he may not like Coach Wilson tho, given Kevin's remarks last year about "cramps".) He also went to East Central and coached in Midwest City. Still, he DID give Major Applewhite a job once...

I do remember when Kragthorpe was at Tulsa, something about him also having established a good friendship with Bob.

Sooner Traveler
11/24/2008, 08:09 PM
What about Todd Dodge?