PDA

View Full Version : This guy must be a Texas fan...

soonermeteor
11/24/2008, 02:55 PM
He says Texas had a better out of conference schedule because we played chatanooga and they beat UTEP? :mack: I'd also like to know where he has Florida in the standings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=notebook/onthemark1124

On The Mark: Deciphering the Big 12 South
Schlabach

By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Big 12 Shakeout

And you thought the political season was finally behind us.

You haven't seen anything yet.

Bob Stoops

Tim Heitman/US Presswire

Bob Stoops is already trying to swing some voters to the OU side.
With the Big 12 South possibly headed toward a dreaded three-way tie between Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech, coaches and officials from all sides are looking for the nearest soapbox.

If the Sooners, Longhorns and Red Raiders win their final regular-season games this week, they'll finish tied atop the Big 12 South. The South representative would be decided by which team is ranked highest in the second to last BCS standings. The Big 12 South winner will play Missouri in the Dec. 6 Big 12 championship game in Kansas City.

If the Big 12 South champion wins the Big 12 title, it figures to play for the BCS National Championship.

So all sides are moving quickly to garner public support.

"If you can't move us in front of Texas because they beat us, then you have to keep Texas Tech in front of Texas," Sooners coach Bob Stoops told reporters after the Texas Tech win. "If it's logical for one, then it's logical for the other."

The Sooners' victory was more than enough to impress voters in the Harris Interactive Poll and USA Today/coaches' Top 25 poll, two of the three components weighted equally in the BCS formula.

"When you look at what's happening, you're seeing emotional voters," Texas coach Mack Brown said on ESPN's First Take.

"Saturday night, watching Oklahoma play and play so well, emotionally the voters jumped them up some."

As for the transitive property applying to this scenario, Brown's not ready to go there yet.

"I heard Bob's [OU coach Bob Stoops] analogy about who beats who and that kind of stuff," Brown said. "I'm not getting into all that today because we got some work to do on Thursday night."

The final BCS standings will determine the two teams that will play for the BCS National Championship in south Florida on Jan. 8.

Oklahoma moved to the No. 2 spot in the coaches' poll, jumping ahead of Florida and Texas. The Sooners are No. 3 in the Harris poll behind No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Florida.

Texas is No. 4 in both human polls. But thanks to the Longhorns' average ranking in the six computer polls used in the BCS formula, they remain No. 2 in the BCS standings -- a minuscule .084 percentage points ahead of No. 3 Oklahoma.

The Big 12 rivals are so close in the BCS standings that conventional wisdom says the Sooners will jump the Longhorns if both teams win this week. Texas will play at home against Texas A&M on Thanksgiving night (ESPN, 8 p.m. ET). Oklahoma will play at No. 12 Oklahoma State on Saturday night (ABC, 8 p.m. ET).

The Sooners will have the last chance to impress voters, and their strength of schedule will improve if they beat the Cowboys. So a win at Oklahoma State probably would be enough to propel the Sooners ahead of the Longhorns.

It shouldn't happen.

Texas beat the Sooners 45-35 on a neutral field in the Cotton Bowl on Oct. 11. A head-to-head victory should trump any tiebreaker.

And, when weighing each of the three Big 12 teams' respective bodies of work, the Longhorns have the strongest argument for selection:

Losses
Oklahoma: The Sooners twice led the Longhorns by 11 points and had an eight-point lead in the third quarter at the Cotton Bowl. But Texas scored two touchdowns in the game's final 7:37 to win 45-35 in Dallas. The Longhorns beat a No. 1 Oklahoma team for the first time since a 28-7 victory in 1963. It also was the first time the Sooners had lost a regular-season game under Stoops when scoring at least 35 points.

Texas: The No. 1 Longhorns trailed then-No. 7 Texas Tech 19-0 in the first half and 22-6 at the half in Lubbock, Texas, on Nov. 1. The Longhorns rallied and took a 33-32 lead on Vondrell McGee's 4-yard touchdown run with 1:29 to play. But after Texas dropped what would have been a game-clinching interception, the Red Raiders won 39-33 on Graham Harrell's 28-yard touchdown pass to Michael Crabtree with one second left.

Texas Tech: There's no other way to say it: The Red Raiders were embarrassed by Oklahoma on Saturday night. The 65-21 loss was the second-worst defeat ever by a No. 2-ranked team in the Associated Press Top 25 poll. Texas Tech avoided the worst defeat by a No. 2 team when Harrell threw a 27-yard touchdown to Detron Lewis with 11 seconds to play.

Advantage: Texas. (The Sooners lost on a neutral field; Texas lost on the road.)

Victories
Oklahoma: The Sooners have a couple of very impressive nonconference wins. Oklahoma beat Cincinnati 52-26 in Norman on Sept. 6. The Bearcats are 9-2 and one victory away from winning the Big East title. The Sooners also walloped TCU 35-10 in Norman on Sept. 27. The Horned Frogs finished the regular season with a 10-2 record and are No. 14 in the BCS standings.

Texas: Along with beating Oklahoma, Texas hammered Big 12 North champion Missouri 56-31 in Austin, Texas. The Longhorns beat Oklahoma State 28-24 and won at Kansas 35-7.

Texas Tech: Texas Tech beat Nevada 35-19 and SMU 43-7. Along with beating the Longhorns, the Red Raiders crushed Oklahoma State 56-20 and won at Kansas 63-21 in Big 12 play.

Advantage: Texas. (The Sooners would have four very impressive victories if they beat Oklahoma State. But the Longhorns would have the only victory that matters -- a win over the Sooners.)

Strength of schedule
Oklahoma: Two of Oklahoma's 10 victories came against two of the worst teams in college football. The Sooners beat Chattanooga (a 1-11 FCS program) in their Aug. 30 opener and also defeated Washington, which just lost to Washington State to fall to 0-11. Oklahoma didn't play Big 12 North champion Missouri during conference play. The Sooners' 11 opponents have a combined record of 66-58.

Texas: The Longhorns didn't play an FCS opponent and beat UTEP 42-13 on the road. They also beat defending Sun Belt champion Florida Atlantic 52-10 and Rice 52-10. The Owls are 8-3 and are still in contention to play for the Conference USA championship. Texas beat an SEC opponent, Arkansas, 52-10. The Longhorns' 11 opponents have a combined record of 79-54.

Texas Tech: The Red Raiders had no margin for error because they played two FCS opponents, beating Eastern Washington 49-24 and Massachusetts 56-14. Texas Tech's 11 opponents have a combined record of 71-52.

Advantage: Texas. (No FCS opponents were on the schedule, and it played Missouri.)

Oklahoma is the hot team as the regular season comes to an end. But Texas is a better team.

The Longhorns have already proved it on the field.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The only win that mattered? Longhorns proved it on the field? The only thing the longhorns have proved recently is they can only squeek by decent teams (Okla state) or fall flat on their face to teams we have historical blow outs on.

SoonerDood
11/24/2008, 03:04 PM
no mention of beating TCU and Cincinnati. They must not be any good.

TexasLidig8r
11/24/2008, 03:14 PM
no mention of beating TCU and Cincinnati. They must not be any good.

Uh.... go back and re-read the article... specifically under the portion designated... "Victories."

The biggest fallacy in the article seems to be the part that Oklahoma is the hottest right now.

Going into the RRS, you beat TCU and Cinncinatti by a combined score of 87-36. You were ranked first in the nation and no one could touch you.

Going into the Tech game OU gave up 28 points to aggy, beat KU in Norman by only 14 after giving up 31 points to them, and gave up 35 points to Kansas St.

So where does this nobody is playing better than OU coming from? Is it entirely due to their thrashing of Tech? Because surely it isn't due to anything else.

soonermeteor
11/24/2008, 03:16 PM
Uh.... go back and re-read the article... specifically under the portion designated... "Victories."

The biggest fallacy in the article seems to be the part that Oklahoma is the hottest right now.

Going into the RRS, you beat TCU and Cinncinatti by a combined score of 87-36. You were ranked first in the nation and no one could touch you.

Going into the Tech game OU gave up 28 points to aggy, beat KU in Norman by only 14 after giving up 31 points to them, and gave up 35 points to Kansas St.

So where does this nobody is playing better than OU coming from? Is it entirely due to their thrashing of Tech? Because surely it isn't due to anything else.

A lot of the points given up came in "garbage time" that no one cares about. If you want to argue impressive wins, lets take a look at that absolute shell shacking you gave OSU at HOME. 28-24, wow! Impressive!

ClintonSooner
11/24/2008, 03:16 PM
Suck on my middle finger shlabach

MojoRisen
11/24/2008, 03:19 PM
The only game that matters is Texas beat OU - Seems to be we would not be in this tie if Texas could have taken care of Tech...

Tech beating Texas weighs higher than Texas beating OU by his own logic.

What a diccc weed...

JohnnyMack
11/24/2008, 03:20 PM
Texas should be ranked ahead of OU because they beat them.

OU should be ranked ahead of Texas Tech because they beat them.

Texas Tech should be ranked ahead of Texas because they beat them.

Jewstin
11/24/2008, 03:22 PM
Ugh. I love how he rants and raves about how there is no subjective element to this, then gives a multiple paragraph subjective analysis representing his OPINION, stating it as fact. ESPN is a riot!

I also love the little blurb below Stoops' picture about how he's "already trying to swing votes" ... hahahaha. I wonder if they're going to draw in some devil horns for good measure?

These people are ridiculous. Mack and company started their campaign halfway through our destruction of Tech, but there's no slanted comments about that. It's the little things that are going to add up all week long.

Here's hoping for a third straight Texas loss to A&M. Gig 'em!

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2008, 03:22 PM
Kansas is the only recent game that was not completely determined at half time, and it was determined in the 3rd. NU and aTm were determined by the end of the 1s quarter; that seems like a pretty hot team to me.

UTgolfer
11/24/2008, 03:26 PM
A lot of the points given up came in "garbage time" that no one cares about. If you want to argue impressive wins, lets take a look at that absolute shell shacking you gave OSU at HOME. 28-24, wow! Impressive!

Conveniently failed to answer Lid's question about why OU is the hottest team. And explain why the head-to-head loss to Texas on a neutral field should be forgotten?

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/24/2008, 03:26 PM
i was just watching his live chat on ESPN.com. he is clearly a texas homer. his only argument was the head to head thing. i tried to ask him why, if ESPN is so caught up in the "who's hot right now" mantality, then how come it doesn't apply to OU. i also attempted to ask him why he and some others at ESPN have this bias towards OU, was it because over the past couple of years they picked OU in the bowl games and the losses hurt their pride and now it's a revenge thing. of course he didn't answer. he was also asked by someone else why it is ok that Texas lost to ttu but when we lost to TU its such a bigger deal, like that game didn't happen. not to mention that there were threequestionable calls and two injuries that hurt us in the 2nd half.

he commented that neither OU UT or TTU could beat florida right now.

it was an idiot explosion from him to say the least.

UTgolfer
11/24/2008, 03:28 PM
i was just watching his live chat on ESPN.com. he is clearly a texas homer. his only argument was the head to head thing. i tried to ask him why, if ESPN is so caught up in the "who's hot right now" mantality, then how come it doesn't apply to OU. i also attempted to ask him why he and some others at ESPN have this bias towards OU, was it because over the past couple of years they picked OU in the bowl games and the losses hurt their pride and now it's a revenge thing. of course he didn't answer. he was also asked by someone else why it is ok that Texas lost to ttu but when we lost to TU its such a bigger deal, like that game didn't happen. not to mention that there were threequestionable calls and two injuries that hurt us in the 2nd half.

he commented that neither OU UT or TTU could beat florida right now.

it was an idiot explosion from him to say the least.

So you guys are back to blaming questionable calls and injuries as the reason for the loss to Texas?

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/24/2008, 03:33 PM
So you guys are back to blaming questionable calls and injuries as the reason for the loss to Texas?

not saying that those are the reasons completely, but it did play a big part. for him to totally dismiss it and act as if UT totally demolished us is ridiculous.
he makes it sound as though texas beat us as bad as we beat tech. I would bet my left nut that, had the bad calls not happened or RR not been hurt, the ending would have been different.

of course this is all subjective, but as much as the OU-Tech game was hyped up, coupled with the way we handled them, their should be alittle more respect for OU. I have no problem with Ut being ranked higher than us right now, after all they did beat us. but if we are looking at which team has progressivly (sp?) gotten better as the season goes on, you have to say that OU is that team.

Jus' sayin'

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 03:33 PM
This is the dumbest argument I've seen so far for Texas, and I've seen a few dumb ones. This guy should go back to writing for the school paper. How can he even make an argument partially based on strength of opponents when OU still has OSU, and Texas has AtM? Not to mention most of UT's active opponents are supposed to lose next week.

Second, one of the major reasons OU should be in ahead of Texas is because they ARE the hot team. Their defense has come around, their offense is even BETTER, and even the special teams are picking it up. They're a much better team now, and it's about picking the current best teams to play in the NC, not the 'used to be' best teams. Otherwise we could all just play one game and take the top two teams out of week one and play the NC right then.

Hot Rod
11/24/2008, 03:38 PM
Conveniently failed to answer Lid's question about why OU is the hottest team. And explain why the head-to-head loss to Texas on a neutral field should be forgotten?

OU destroyed the #2 team in the nation in what was suppose to be a high-scoring game from both sides. If we had done that, or kept it to a defensive low-scoring game, ESPN would be up in Florida's crack.

The head to head loss to Texas isn't forgotten, hence the fact that there's a 3-way tie! What seems to be forgotten is that fact that Texas lost to Tech, who got throttled by OU.

BTW, when has the RRSO ever been a home/away game lately. I still don't think that's a factor, and won't be when the computers decide, if all 3 teams come out this weekend with a win.

Collier11
11/24/2008, 03:38 PM

We have scored 60 pts three games in a row, beat the #2 team by 44 points, and have won our games since ut by a combined 30.6 ppg. Ut lost two weeks ago to a team we just beat by 44...is it that hard?

soonermeteor
11/24/2008, 03:39 PM

Hottest team? OU 66 #2 Tech 21. Tech had never given up so many points. Half the commentators had us losing. We were only 7 points favorites.

Why should the loss to Texas be forgotten? Texas' loss to tech has obviously been, so has Florida's loss to ole miss.

Collier11
11/24/2008, 03:41 PM

No, OU had some stuff go against us which every team in every game has, we had 11 and 8 pt leads in the 2nd half, we should have won but you guys played better down the stretch and beat us. Doesnt mean you are the better team, all it means is that you were better for one quarter.

Stoop Dawg
11/24/2008, 03:46 PM

It shouldn't be forgotten. It should definitely be remembered. It should be remembered that OU led for the majority of the game. It should be remembered that UT had to mount a come-from-behind victory.

The UT-TTech game should also not be forgotten. It should be remembered that TTech led for the majority of the game. It should be remembered that UT had to mount a huge come-back just to get back in the game. It should be remembered that UT eventually lost anyway.

The OU-TTech game should also not be forgotten. It should be remembered that OU not only led the whole game, OU lead by a LOT.

Let's also not forget other important games. Like the OSU game. It should be remembered that UT failed to punch in a TD on 4 tries from the 1 yard line. It should be remembered that OSU had the ball and was throwing a hail-marry as time ran out to try to win the game. No, it wasn't likely, but the win was not secured until the final gun. We'll see how OU fares against OSU - on the road, no less.

The reason they call it a "tie" is because head-to-head has failed to produce a winner, so all of your head-to-head arguments are moot.

UTgolfer
11/24/2008, 03:47 PM
not saying that those are the reasons completely, but it did play a big part. for him to totally dismiss it and act as if UT totally demolished us is ridiculous.
he makes it sound as though texas beat us as bad as we beat tech. I would bet my left nut that, had the bad calls not happened or RR not been hurt, the ending would have been different.

of course this is all subjective, but as much as the OU-Tech game was hyped up, coupled with the way we handled them, their should be alittle more respect for OU. I have no problem with Ut being ranked higher than us right now, after all they did beat us. but if we are looking at which team has progressivly (sp?) gotten better as the season goes on, you have to say that OU is that team.

Jus' sayin'

I bet my left nut that if Gideon had caught a tipped pass Texas wins in Lubbock. But he didn't...and we lost. Just like Texas beat OU.

I find it ironic how many OU fans are upset at the high ranking that Florida enjoys and how it is justified by the talking heads due to the fact that they has improved since losing and are now playing at an extremely high level. Body of work counts for something when it comes to Florida. But that same line of logic should be throw out the window when it comes to OU. So what if OU lost to Texas as it was due to bad calls and injuries and the team is the hottest in the country and deserve a shot. Interesting use of logic only when its beneficial to your arguement.

MojoRisen
11/24/2008, 03:48 PM
Tech beats Texas - Dismantles OSU
Texas Squeeks by OSU at home and gets beat by Tech

OU Dismantles everyone in their path since Texas and then absolutely demoralizes a Tech Team that should be rated and was rated higher than Texas.

If we only BEAT OSU- comparing common opponents- we would have the better resume... If we beat OSU by 10 or more on the road - will any horn on here argue?????

What would that argument be????

UTgolfer
11/24/2008, 03:51 PM
No, OU had some stuff go against us which every team in every game has, we had 11 and 8 pt leads in the 2nd half, we should have won but you guys played better down the stretch and beat us. Doesnt mean you are the better team, all it means is that you were better for one quarter.

Its a 4 quarter game right? So you won 3 out of 4 quarters, right? Guess that means you won the game, right?

Might want to re-think your logic.

UTgolfer
11/24/2008, 03:53 PM
BTW, when has the RRSO ever been a home/away game lately. I still don't think that's a factor, and won't be when the computers decide, if all 3 teams come out this weekend with a win.

Its not a home/away game in at least 2 of the computer polls, not sure about the others. It is viewed as a neutral site.

Stoop Dawg
11/24/2008, 03:56 PM
Its a 4 quarter game right? So you won 3 out of 4 quarters, right? Guess that means you won the game, right?

Head-to-head is the first tie-breaker in the official determination of the South Division champion.

UT cannot win the South Division using the official head-to-head tie-breaker.

Think about that for a while before you bring any more "head-to-head logic" over here.

TexasLidig8r
Second, one of the major reasons OU should be in ahead of Texas is because they ARE the hot team. Their defense has come around, their offense is even BETTER, and even the special teams are picking it up. They're a much better team now, and it's about picking the current best teams to play in the NC, not the 'used to be' best teams. Otherwise we could all just play one game and take the top two teams out of week one and play the NC right then.

Your defense has come around?

Ok.. repeat after me...

Going into the Tech game,
OU gave up 28 points to aggy,
beat KU in Norman by only 14 after giving up 31 points to them,
and gave up 35 points to Kansas St.

How is that, "Your defense is coming around?" Around? Around to what? Giving up an average of almost 32 points a game in the 3 games prior to the Tech fiasco???

Your special teams are improved? What, because you aren't giving up touchdowns on kick off returns any longer?

And NO, it's not about picking the "current best teams" to play in the NC. NOT at all. You take the complete body of work over the year.

Again, coming into the Texas game, your team was hotter! You were averaging 49.6 points a game.. your defense was only giving up... 14.2 points a game... and this was against the self proclaimed much ballyhooed TCU and Cincy teams.. and not the little sisters of the poor, K-State and aggy...You were ranked number 1 in the nation.

How can you say your defense is "coming around" when it is giving up an average of almost 18 points per game MORE now.. than the start of the year????

It seems like the only difference between October.. and now.. is that you ran into Texas.. who held you to 14 points below your season scoring average at that time and who won by 10 points... instead of Texas Tech.

The Maestro
This debate, of which we all have NO influence, is going to get old by Sunday afternoon.

Bottom line, if OU and Texas both win this week, one of them is going to be left feeling screwed. But, when you lose, that is what happens.

Let the chips fall where they may. I like OU's chances, but if Texas gets the nod, we should have beaten them. If OU gets the nod, tell Blake Gideon to GET BETTER! You lose and you lose the right to bitch too much.

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 03:58 PM

Man are you ever mad that rooting for OU ended up biting you in the @ss. I love it. I love it even more because in the minds of UT it will be soooo unfair, they'll think they got robbed, we'll be TWISTING the dagger next Sunday when we leapfrog you into 2nd and cut you completely out. I'm almost glad we lost head to head, because it's going to hurt you that much more when you're sitting at home watching us play Florida for all the marbles.

That Texas loss may turn out to be the sweetest loss to Texas we've ever had.

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 03:59 PM

I would contend that injuries played a major part.

OU was up 21-20 at half. On Texas’ first possession, they went 3-and-out. OU then scored to take a 28-20 lead. On Texas’ next possession Ryan Reynolds was injured on a 2nd and four play from Texas’ 17 yard line. The play resulted in a two-yard loss giving Texas 3rd and 6 from their own 15 yard line. They, intelligently, went after Ryan Reynold’s back-up’s (Austin Box) back-up…the third stringer…and converted the first down. The continued to expose that weakness for the rest of the game and scored on that possession and their next 3.

Before Ryan Reynold's injury: 20 points and facing two straight three-and-outs.
After Ryan Reynold's injury: 25 points and three straight scoring drives (mostly taking advantage of our third stringer)

At that point in the season, Texas deserved to go to the BCS title game over us. But since that point in the season we've got our 2nd string linebacker healthy (and he's arguably playing better than Reynolds was before the injury) and we just smoked the team that beat Texas a couple of weeks ago.

Right now, it's pretty much a toss-up as to who should go to the BCS title game. If OU wins at OSU this weekend, OU should go to the BCS title game over Texas. Neither team has a "deserves to" argument since they've both lost...and OU is the better team right now.

Bottom line, if the roles were reversed, OU would be screaming "head-to-head" and Texas would be screaming "best team right now."

UTgolfer
Head-to-head is the first tie-breaker in the official determination of the South Division champion.

UT cannot win the South Division using the official head-to-head tie-breaker.

Think about that for a while before you bring any more "head-to-head logic" over here.

Neither can OU or Tech...so what did you just prove? Nada.

But to say that Texas won because it was good for only one quarter is completely illogical.

TexasLidig8r
Tech beats Texas - Dismantles OSU
Texas Squeeks by OSU at home and gets beat by Tech

OU Dismantles everyone in their path since Texas and then absolutely demoralizes a Tech Team that should be rated and was rated higher than Texas.

If we only BEAT OSU- comparing common opponents- we would have the better resume... If we beat OSU by 10 or more on the road - will any horn on here argue?????

What would that argument be????

College football is not transitory.

To apply your logic, You beat KU at YOUR place, on a clear, warm day by only 14 points and you gave up 31 points to them. WE beat KU, at their place, on their senior day, before their largest crowd of the year, by 28 points and held them to 7 points.. their lowest point total at home in 3 years.

Our SOS is better than yours.
The records of all of opponents are better than yours.
We beat you by 10 points.

How is your resume better?

UTgolfer
11/24/2008, 04:00 PM
This debate, of which we all have NO influence, is going to get old by Sunday afternoon.

Bottom line, if OU and Texas both win this week, one of them is going to be left feeling screwed. But, when you lose, that is what happens.

Let the chips fall where they may. I like OU's chances, but if Texas gets the nod, we should have beaten them. If OU gets the nod, tell Blake Gideon to GET BETTER! You lose and you lose the right to bitch too much.

Well said

TexasLidig8r
11/24/2008, 04:03 PM

Bastid Maestro... the debate already is old.

Let's settle this the only honorable way possible.

FSU beats Florida.
Florida best Bammer.

Texas vs. OU... the Rematch...

vigilantesooner
How is your resume better?

Have you forgotten the season's not over yet? With a win over OSU, we'll have 4 wins against top 25 teams, you'll have 3. We'll have the only road win against one of the top south teams. You'll have zero.

That's okay though, just because you lose out this season doesn't mean you don't get to continue whining next season.

Stoop Dawg

I proved that using head-to-head win/loss comparisons are invalid for this debate. You're going to have to move on to other factors - like how well the respective teams played against each other. One way to determine how well the teams played against each other is to look at the score throughout the game. UT trailed almost the entire game against both OU and Tech. Interesting?

Stoop Dawg
11/24/2008, 04:07 PM
Bottom line, if OU and Texas both win this week, one of them is going to be left feeling screwed.

If OU gets left out, I won't think OU got screwed at all. And Texas fans shouldn't feel screwed if they get left out either. Both teams were ranked #1 at some point this season and only have themselves to blame if they don't get a shot at the MNC.

However, I still think that the case for OU is stronger than for UT. And it looks like a majority of the pollsters agree. :D

MojoRisen
11/24/2008, 04:07 PM
I am pulling for the rematch!!!

Texas is getting real stale with the short passing attack... I would say we win by 14 or more....

TexasLidig8r
11/24/2008, 04:08 PM
I KNOW.. I KNOW... let's ask your Hollywood, play acting, "Oh woe is me, I had a fly brush up against me and hurt my little leg" punter who he supports for the MNC...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/11/23/sports/23okohahoma.xlarge1.jpg

Collier11
11/24/2008, 04:09 PM

But to say that Texas won because it was good for only one quarter is completely illogical.

I said that ut played better down the stretch and deserved to win, my point was that you guys outplayed us when it mattered, the 4th qt of a close game. That doesnt make ut a better team than OU right now, it made them better that day. Im not the only one that feels this way, if we played today OU would be a fav again by Vegas odds.

Well said

I agree with all of this, if we get left out I will be pissed but we should have beaten ut and we wouldnt have to worry. If we get in, then you guys shouldnt have fallen behind by 3tds to a team we beat by 44

JohnnyMack
11/24/2008, 04:10 PM
The rankings as I see them are a combination of how a team is playing in the here and now along with that team's body of work for the entire season.

I for one have no problem with someone having Florida ranked No. 1 in fact. I think their body of work combined with how they're currently playing certainly could justify them as numero uno.

Anybody (Lid) who tells you that how a team is currently playing isn't a factor is a liar or a retard.

UTgolfer
11/24/2008, 04:11 PM
I proved that using head-to-head win/loss comparisons are invalid for this debate. You're going to have to move on to other factors - like how well the respective teams played against each other. One way to determine how well the teams played against each other is to look at the score throughout the game. UT trailed almost the entire game against both OU and Tech. Interesting?

Another factor to look at is win and losses at home and on the road:

OU - win at home, loss at neutral site
Tech - win at home, loss on the road
Texas - win at neutral site, loss on the road

Anyone going to argue that of the above Texas doesn't have best arguement?

Collier11
11/24/2008, 04:12 PM
I KNOW.. I KNOW... let's ask your Hollywood, play acting, "Oh woe is me, I had a fly brush up against me and hurt my little leg" punter who he supports for the MNC...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/11/23/sports/23okohahoma.xlarge1.jpg

part of the game, dont cry about it. That being said, if you actually go back and watch it Knall got hit pretty hard, the thing that ut fans b*tch about is that he acted hurt well after the play, what they failed to see was that it was a cramp and not related to the play at all

MojoRisen
11/24/2008, 04:15 PM
Yep- OSU barely a win for UT at Home - We beat em on the road and I say that we have the better resume.

OSU beat Mizzou - at Mizzou...
Tech beat Texas and Pawned OSU

Collier11
11/24/2008, 04:19 PM
What that proves is that there are 10 diff good arguments for both teams, OU is just better :)

MojoRisen
11/24/2008, 04:22 PM
I wonder if Gundy will step up if we smack em around and vote OU like Leach did.

I think Leach - has a real opinion on the matter... Look what those guys did to OSU. Were is our credit for owning them from Texas... Fluke Fiasco

No acknowledgement

UTgolfer
11/24/2008, 04:23 PM
What that proves is that there are 10 diff good arguments for both teams, OU is just better :)

Since you say so...count me in as one of the converted faithful! ;)

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 04:37 PM

Another factor to look at it how they played against common opponents.

Texas v. OSU - struggled at home
Texas Tech v. OSU - whipped 'em at home
OU v. OSU - TBD on the road

Anyone going to argue that if OU wins, Texas' argument isn't the weakest?

Look, there are a bajillion factors to take into consideration. Both sides have good arguments. Both sides have left it in the hands of others because of the loss, like Maestro said. Texas' loss is a better loss, but OU's wins are (by season's end, assuming they win this weekend) more impressive.

TexasLidig8r
11/24/2008, 04:38 PM
Anybody (Lid) who tells you that how a team is currently playing isn't a factor is a liar or a retard.

Shouldn't you be giving oral pleasure to Obama on the South Oval?

Certainly, voters take into account, the manner in which a team is playing toward the end of the year. However, going into the Tech game, the stats and rankings indicated you were playing better going into the Texas game.

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 04:43 PM

Certainly, voters take into account, the manner in which a team is playing toward the end of the year. However, going into the Tech game, the stats and rankings indicated you were playing better going into the Texas game.

We might've been playing better then than we are now, but that doesn't mean we aren't playing better now than Texas is (which is the whole point of the argument). All that does is show that there are now two times during the season that we've been playing better than Texas.

Of course for the critical second half of the most important game of the season so far, Texas played better than us. Kudos for that. If that was the only thing that mattered, I'd say we don't have any right to be in the title game. But it's not.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/24/2008, 04:44 PM
I bet my left nut that if Gideon had caught a tipped pass Texas wins in Lubbock. But he didn't...and we lost. Just like Texas beat OU.

So you're saying both losses should be thrown out? Sounds good to me

Best win: OU by 40 over Tech
texass by 25 over Mo

Advantage OU. Suck it whorns! I'm going to cry some crocodile tears for you when you're at home watching us win our third straight Big 12 title!

Here's a tip: If Rice is the best win you can point to on your non-conference schedule, get some balls and schedule a real team.

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 04:48 PM

Of course the rankings indicate it, neither OU nor Tx had played anybody, both were undefeated, OU was an unproven #1 and obviously didn't deserve the spot at that time. Regardless of the fluke Tx win. Our ranking then is no indication of how good we are now.

The stats didn't include the Texas Tech game. Without the Texas Tech win, we don't have an argument. But we won BIG, so we have a legitimate and resounding argument. It's one thing to dominate every opponent and then play the tough ones close. It's another to dominate every opponent, and then do the same thing to an undefeated, PROVEN, second ranked team in the country. That's the stat that we build our argument around, in combination with the previous month and a half and the subsequent build up.

TexasLidig8r
11/24/2008, 04:50 PM
Here's a tip: If Rice is the best win you can point to on your non-conference schedule, get some balls and schedule a real team.

Like a winless Washington or Division whatever 1 win Chattanuggie team? :D

TexasLidig8r
11/24/2008, 04:52 PM
The stats didn't include the Texas Tech game. Without the Texas Tech win, we don't have an argument. But we won BIG, so we have a legitimate and resounding argument. It's one thing to dominate every opponent and then play the tough ones close. It's another to dominate every opponent, and then do the same thing to an undefeated, PROVEN, second ranked team in the country. That's the stat that we build our argument around, in combination with the previous month and a half and the subsequent build up.

You prove my point. The only difference (other than your defense giving up 18 fewer points per game against allegedly better competition) was that you ran into Texas Tech instead of Texas.

Statistically your defense is FAR worse now. What makes you think this defense, giving up 18 more points a game, could hold Texas to 45 points again?

Hot Rod
11/24/2008, 04:54 PM

Yeah, I'd be afraid to mention the other two.

Stoop Dawg
11/24/2008, 04:56 PM

Sure, home field advantage should definitely be considered. Vegas usually gives a team 7 points for being the home team.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll still be able to get your "Big 12 South Co-Champions" T-Shirt. Just be sure you get the UT version and not the TTech version.

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 04:56 PM
Statistically your defense is FAR worse now. What makes you think this defense, giving up 18 more points a game, could hold Texas to 45 points again?

To address the first part:
We've been playing better offenses now which has skewed our defensive statistics.
We've been giving up meaningless points and yards in mop-up time with our reserves in the game which has skewed our defensive statistics.

To address the second part:
We held Texas Tech to 14 points before we started putting in our backups. That makes me think we could hold Texas to 45 points again.
Our defense...especially the linebackers...is playing much better now. You exploited our youth and injuries at linebacker to come from behind to beat us. I think we would not allow that this time.

There are your answers. What part(s) do you still struggle with?

MojoRisen
11/24/2008, 04:58 PM
Dude, how did you guys loose to Tech??

One thing I will give UT credit for is 0 turnovers against us... that would not happen again...

Also we can run the ball now, where we were still getting used to this score as fast as you can no huddle...

Bourbon St Sooner
11/24/2008, 05:00 PM
Don't worry Lid. Daddy Obama likes to spread the wealth.

After Mack goes and cries to daddy, I'm sure you guys will get championship rings for participation.

TexasLidig8r
11/24/2008, 05:01 PM
Dude, how did you guys loose to Tech??

One thing I will give UT credit for is 0 turnovers against us... that would not happen again...

Also we can run the ball now, where we were still getting used to this score as fast as you can no huddle...

You have the most experienced line in college football.. you start 5 seniors on the line... you had all spring to adjust to the no huddle.. as well as last year.. and the 5 games before you played us.

Maybe.. just maybe.. the Texas defense shut your running game down completely holding it to . what... 48 yards?

TexasLidig8r
11/24/2008, 05:03 PM
Don't worry Lid. Daddy Obama likes to spread the wealth.

After Mack goes and cries to daddy, I'm sure you guys will get championship rings for participation.

Of course if the BCS standings come back against you, that will give your fan base one more thing to whine about.. "OH OH OH.. now it's not only ESPN that hates us.. but the coaches do too.. and the Harris poll..and the computers.. it's A WORLDWIDE CONSPIRACY!!!!!!" :eek:

Bourbon St Sooner
11/24/2008, 05:05 PM
Well of course, if we don't get the votes it's clearly a conspiracy. If you guys don't get the votes it's because reason won out in the end;)

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 05:05 PM

I'd also venture a guess that your defense is, statistically, FAR worse now than it was then. So do you think that your defense could hold us to 35 points again?

MojoRisen
11/24/2008, 05:06 PM
We didn't comit to it- and the entire team was pretty upset about that. The oline was screaming about not practicing being a run first team... So i would side with the players and say we were not prepared to run on Texas- we are now..

We were in awe of our new toy and forgot about the run - when we needed it...

Stoop Dawg
Of course if the BCS standings come back against you

Not likely. Everyone knows who owns the Big 12. ;)

Ton Loc

Hey now, no taking stuff off of hornfans.com without giving credit to the original poster (unless of course you are 4realhorn over there)

4realhorn: Where does this come from?. Going into the RRR OU beat TCU and Cinncinatti by a combined score of 87-36. Going into the Tech game OU gave up 28 points to Aggie, beat KU in Norman by only 14, and gave up 35 points to Kansas St. So where does this nobody is playing better than OU bull come from? Is it entirely due to their thrashing of Tech? Because surely it isn't due to anything else.

Also, I believe Octavian answered your question on that site:

OU is averaging 62 points/game in their last 4 games. In each of those four games, the starters spent the fourth quarter finding new ways to pass the time while standing on the sidelines. That figure could easily be in the mid-70s.

They just beat a previously 10-0 #2 team by 44 points.

so....that's probably it.

;)

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 05:08 PM
You prove my point. The only difference (other than your defense giving up 18 fewer points per game against allegedly better competition) was that you ran into Texas Tech instead of Texas.

Our defense isn't getting the respect it deserves now partly because we beat the other teams SO BAD in the first half we could give our bench warmers very important game time in the second half. You're quoting a lot of stats that belong to our 3rd teamers.

And do you know why that is? Because as good as our offense was before Tech, it's even better NOW. Check out these stats:

We scored 57 pts vs Chattanooga a DII team, 55 vs winless Washington.

Our last four games point totals:
vs:
K State - 58
Nebraska - 62
AtM - 66
TTech - 65

Those are entire games, but I already made the point that we had finished those teams up by the first half, so I better prove it right?

First half points:
vs:
K State - 55
Nebraska - 49
AtM - 38
TTech - 42

So, even more than our defense, what's important is our offensive improvement. We are now absolutely unstoppable. We are now unbelievably, incredibly, remarkably, scary good on offense. But a big part of that is our defense is making gigantic plays in the first half too, getting huge turnovers that our offense parlays into points. I don't know the exact stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if our defense was responsible for as many points in our favor as in the other team's favor.

NCAAISAJOKE
11/24/2008, 05:11 PM
No one has talked about this scenario, but what if Alabama loses to only Florida in the SEC Championship? Alabama will not go because they lost the last game of the year and it was the most recent loss even though they might be the only team that was undefeated throughout the regular season. If this is the case, which it will be, doesn't that tear Texas arguement apart seeing how they lost in Nov and OU in Oct??? Based on this, Alabama should still go to the title if they allow Texas too!!

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 05:14 PM
Guys, I'm pretty sure Lid is smarter than he's sounding. He's just either being really ornery or he's trying to convince himself Texas will make it to the title game so that he can sleep better tonight.

Like it's been said several times, both teams have good arguments for themselves and against the other team. Texas thinks they've got a good reason to dismiss head-to-head against Texas Tech (they got destroyed last week, so they shouldn't be in the discussion anymore). OU thinks they've got a good reason to dismiss head-to-head against Texas (we just destroyed a team that beat Texas, so that should mean more than a game 6 weeks ago).

Some of the pollsters agree with OU, some of the pollsters agree with Tech. What it's really going to come down to is how much difference it makes with the computers if OU beats OSU. We have the advantage of being able to impress the pollsters and the computers with a win this week. Texas doesn't have that advantage. And both teams have their little brother in-state rival to thank for that.

MojoRisen
11/24/2008, 05:15 PM
Can't bring logic into the argument-

NCAAISAJOKE
11/24/2008, 05:17 PM
By the way, I am praying that Florida loses to Florida State and then beats Alabama so we can settle this arguement between OU and Tex once and for all in Miami for the national title. I think OU is still the better team and it would be great to get another shot at Texas for a title to prove it in Miami. Also it would be awsome for two teams in the big 12 to play for it. I think about every OU fan would love to see this game and I would bet that a lot of Tex fans would want no part of OU again. Cant prove it but i bet that is the case.

cvsooner
11/24/2008, 05:19 PM
If Florida loses to Fla. State and then beats Alabama, how then do you deprive Utah (12-0, remember) a shot at the national title? What's your argument then?

Collier11
11/24/2008, 05:20 PM
Guys, I'm pretty sure Lid is smarter than he's sounding. He's just either being really ornery or he's trying to convince himself Texas will make it to the title game so that he can sleep better tonight.

Kinda like he is not funny ha ha but more like funny *ueer?! :D ;)

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 05:20 PM
By the way, I am praying that Florida loses to Florida State and then beats Alabama so we can settle this arguement between OU and Tex once and for all in Miami for the national title.

I wanna see Mack Brown's face when that happens. It'd be like the year Osborne found out he was going to have to face Switzer in the Orange Bowl.

MojoRisen
11/24/2008, 05:25 PM
The nation screamed bloody murder when it was TOSU and Meatchicken...

Although I don't think USC would jump either Texas or OU with out a conference Championship Game..

Alabama might actually stay in somehow.... if that happens...

I am pretty sure OU/Texas National Championship SWC VS Big 8 would be one of the better ones in years- I also think we would win it handily

Texas is methodical -we would definitely be ready for that crap this time around... I actually would love to see that happen!

NCAAISAJOKE
11/24/2008, 05:41 PM
If Florida loses to Fla. State and then beats Alabama, how then do you deprive Utah (12-0, remember) a shot at the national title? What's your argument then?

I am not saying it is right. This year shows that nothing the BCS does is right. Mark it down,Utah would not get in if this scenario plays out because the entire nation knows that a SEC and Big 12 team are deserving. Without a playoff, a Boise, Utah exc. have absolutely no chance at the title. They wouldnt with a playoff either.

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 05:49 PM
The nation screamed bloody murder when it was TOSU and Meatchicken...

There would certainly be interested parties screaming bloody murder this year, but I think most people would actually enjoy it. After to the Tech/Texas game, the OU/Texas was probably the second best game of the year and since it was in the middle of the season, I think people wouldn't mind seeing a rematch. A big part of the reasoning for not wanting to see OSU/Michigan was that they would be playing each other in back-to-back games.

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 05:51 PM
As long as OU gets in I could care less about Utah. But the argument against them is simply by placing them in the SEC or Big 12 and imagining their record.

An argument which might be lost considering how bad the SEC actually is.

BTW, I'd rather face an SEC team than another Boise State type team with nothing to lose.

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 05:54 PM
But the argument against them is simply by placing them in the SEC or Big 12 and imagining their record.

Imagining. Heh.

Utah is out of the race because of our imaginations.

I mean, you're right...but it sucks. Why should an undefeated Utah be denied a chance to play for it all just because they're in the Mountain West or because they weren't good in the 1950's?

NCAAISAJOKE
11/24/2008, 05:57 PM
As long as OU gets in I could care less about Utah. But the argument against them is simply by placing them in the SEC or Big 12 and imagining their record.

An argument which might be lost considering how bad the SEC actually is.

BTW, I'd rather face an SEC team than another Boise State type team with nothing to lose.

I think if Utah was in either conference, ( SEC or Big 12) they would be fighting for the cellar dwellar spot. Boise might fare a little better but not much. These teams play no one all year. If they played in one of these conferences, they would get beat up throughout the year. That is where the depth factor comes into play.

chad
11/24/2008, 06:01 PM
A Washington team, that at the time of scheduling, was competitive in the Pac-10.

Chattanooga was the result of Middle Tennessee backing out in the middle of last season. Not much can be done when no one else will schedule OU in Norman.

Don't forget.
If OU loses this weekend, Tech gets to go to the Big 12 championship over texas :D

texas is hoping for a Tech loss, or a last second win bu OU.

It would suck if that "head-to-head" argument came back to bite you in the *** should the unthinkable happen to OU this weekend. ;)

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 06:02 PM
In the Sagarin rankings, Utah's strength of schedule is rated #74. Alabama's is 65.

They did beat the team that may end up being Pac-10 champs: Oregon State.
They did beat a team that we count as a quality win: TCU
They just handled another BCS bowl contender last week in BYU.

Yeah, they probably wouldn't have made it through the Big XII or SEC unscathed, but so far Alabama is the only other team who has done that. Let's put Utah on the field with one of the SEC or Big XII big boys and see how they do.

NCAAISAJOKE
11/24/2008, 06:03 PM
If we had a playoff system, the Utahs and Boise's would get exposed. They might have one good game but they dont hold up 3 to 4 weeks in a row against top 10 teams.

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 06:05 PM
If we had a playoff system, the Utahs and Boise's would get exposed. They might have one good game but they dont hold up 3 to 4 weeks in a row against top 10 teams.

That would be true for all EXCEPT one team every year.

Why not give them a shot? Let's see how they hold up.

NCAAISAJOKE
11/24/2008, 06:10 PM
That would be true for all EXCEPT one team every year.

Why not give them a shot? Let's see how they hold up.

Topdawg, I tell you what, Utah will more then likely get an OU, Tex, Bama, or USC team. I am a betting man and there is no way Utah would come within 3 scores of those teams. Just my opinion. I am all for putting them on the field against these teams in a playoff scenario. You cant control what conference you are in, but you do control your OOC schedule. If you are a Boise or Utah, you know how the system works. Go play the big dawgs and prove it to us. Boise did it once with Georgia and look what happened. Fresno State does it every year. These teams have no one to blame if they refuse to do it. Heck, TCU does it every year!!

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 06:10 PM
ESPN has decided we don't get a playoff. ESPN has spoken.

TexasLidig8r
11/24/2008, 06:19 PM
The University Presidents have decided we don't get a playoff. .

Much more accurate.

Oh. . . and the arguments on here being left by everyone of, "Oh.. we would beat Texas now... we are MUCH better now..." is what we were hearing in September and October up to... that fateful day.

Oh.. and "we are much better now" mantra...

See...

Hornfans... 2001 - 2004.

Congrats.. you guys have become hornfans.. well. with more mobile homes and mullets and stuff. :D

NCAAISAJOKE
11/24/2008, 06:20 PM
Much more accurate.

Oh. . . and the arguments on here being left by everyone of, "Oh.. we would beat Texas now... we are MUCH better now..." is what we were hearing in September and October up to... that fateful day.

See...

Hornfans... 2001 - 2004.

Congrats.. you guys have become hornfans.. well. with more mobile homes and mullets and stuff. :D

I am sure Texas keeps saying they are better then Tech too and would beat them if they played again:)

NCAAISAJOKE
11/24/2008, 06:27 PM
The better teams dont always win Lid. That is where the term upset comes from. Tex upset by tech. USC upset by oregon State. Florida upset by Ole miss. OU upset by Tex. If the 2 played again, OU would be favored to win again.

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 06:32 PM
Much more accurate.

See...

Hornfans... 2001 - 2004.

ESPN signed the big contract, that pretty much means there'd better be a BCS for a while to come or else ESPN is f'd in the a. And we all know without ESPN all sports would implode, die, then catch on fire, then trip and fall, then get dizzy, then get shot, then.....etc. Same thing happens if losing the BCS only makes ESPN mad.

Difference between Hornfans 2001-2004 and OU fans 2008: OU's got Miami in the bag, we're just trying to maintain the votes. Back then, UT fans were just trying to get in the discussion.

TopDawg
11/24/2008, 06:33 PM
You cant control what conference you are in, but you do control your OOC schedule. If you are a Boise or Utah, you know how the system works. Go play the big dawgs and prove it to us.

Utah scheduled Oregon State and Michigan. When they scheduled those games they had no reason to believe Michigan would suck so bad this year.

Of course, they also barely beat Michigan, so you could take that and run with it...I'm just saying that I'd love to see those teams have a shot in a playoff. If they don't win, they don't win. But let's at least give them a shot.

Don't the non-BCS conference schools have a respectable record in BCS bowls?

NCAAISAJOKE
11/24/2008, 06:44 PM
Utah scheduled Oregon State and Michigan. When they scheduled those games they had no reason to believe Michigan would suck so bad this year.

Of course, they also barely beat Michigan, so you could take that and run with it...I'm just saying that I'd love to see those teams have a shot in a playoff. If they don't win, they don't win. But let's at least give them a shot.

Don't the non-BCS conference schools have a respectable record in BCS bowls?

They also barely beat TCU or should I say that TCU beat themselves:) I have no problem with what you are saying. Playoff is the only answer. Another flaw with the BCS is automatic bids for conferences. Remeber when Pitt went? I think that was Utahs last BCS game. It should be the top 10 teams regardless of conference. Pitt was awful that year.

Jdog
11/24/2008, 07:00 PM
The only game that matters is Texas beat OU - Seems to be we would not be in this tie if Texas could have taken care of Tech...

Tech beating Texas weighs higher than Texas beating OU by his own logic.

What a diccc weed...

Great point - we wouldn't be in this situation if Texas would had taken care of business at TECH.

So, if it's all about the BCS champ game then:
penalize OU by making them play an (a consolation game) extra game in KC (what most would call the big 12 champ game).

If they win out against OSU and MU then they wouldhave a stronger strength of schedule and they go - It they lose then Texas goes!!!!!

Jdog
11/24/2008, 07:12 PM
I love that its a forgone conclusion that both team will beat Mizzou in the B12 Champ game.

Yes Texas did stomp them earlier in the year - Just like OU stomped Tech (and oh yea Texas got beat by TECH). How do we work the math on this?

NCAAISAJOKE
11/24/2008, 07:28 PM
The fact that Miss even gets to go is a total sham like most years the north sends a team

47straight
11/24/2008, 08:49 PM

Or rethink UT fan's logic that say, "Well we barely lost against Tech."

No, you got beat by a kicker they pulled in from the stands and only led for 89 seconds the whole night.

Johnny Utah
11/24/2008, 08:53 PM
Back to the original point of the post ;) this guy is not a Texas fan but really an SEC homer who went to Georgia and was previously one of the college football writers for the AJC. I'm sure he likes a potential Bama or Florida matchup against TX much more than against OU (the way OU's playing now). OU matches up way too well athletically against any team in the country right now whereas TX probably needs the moon, stars and sun to align to be playing at its best. However, I would probably find myself rooting for TX over an SEC team just to shut them up about their perceived superiority.

tommieharris91
11/24/2008, 09:05 PM
It's a three way tie, not a two-way tie, hornfans. If and buts, if and buts. If Gideon had caught that INT, if Reynolds hadn't hurt himself...

mustangsooner
11/24/2008, 09:09 PM

Well let's see OU just demolished a team that pretty much dominated a game against texas. Yeah I know they won on the last play of the game but tech pretty much dominated the game. Its better to lose early than lose late we have all heard this a million times. The head to head is on a neutral field is not forgotten and neither is the tech loss that happened TWO WEEKS AGO. Therefore you can't count any of the head to head games and focus on who is playing the better football right know and we can all agree it is OU.

tommieharris91
11/24/2008, 09:15 PM
Well let's see OU just demolished a team that pretty much dominated a game against texas. Yeah I know they won on the last play of the game but tech pretty much dominated the game. Its better to lose early than lose late we have all heard this a million times. The head to head is on a neutral field is not forgotten and neither is the tech loss that happened TWO WEEKS AGO. Therefore you can't count any of the head to head games and focus on who is playing the better football right know and we can all agree it is OU.
I personally think it should be looked as who has had the better entire season. Guess what? Even one of the horn fans agrees that we have been better!

I find it ironic how many OU fans are upset at the high ranking that Florida enjoys and how it is justified by the talking heads due to the fact that they has improved since losing and are now playing at an extremely high level. Body of work counts for something when it comes to Florida. But that same line of logic should be throw out the window when it comes to OU. So what if OU lost to Texas as it was due to bad calls and injuries and the team is the hottest in the country and deserve a shot. Interesting use of logic only when its beneficial to your arguement.

IronHorseSooner
11/24/2008, 09:18 PM

BUT NOT ACCORDING TO ESPN! :mad:

Eradicating
Sooners
Possible
National Championship!

That should be their new dang title!!!!

MI Sooner
11/24/2008, 09:51 PM
Lid,

You're obviously an intelligent and informed guy, so it must be bad faith that's causing you to repeatedly overlook the OU-Nebraska game, but keep mentioning KSU and KU as "recent games." BTW, KU was our second or third most competitive game of the year (behind the RRS and maybe Cinci). I love your "OU wasn't hot before the TTU game" argument when our closest game since then was decided in the 3rd quarter.

Yes, we gave up some points to some teams after the RRS, but we've also put up a fair number of points. We've played four good teams, one decent team, and six crappy teams. We've had three games that were at all competitive in the second half, and one that was competitive in the 4th quarter. That's domination.

Like others have said, I can't get too upset if we miss out on the CCG after beating OSU because we lost a game and we'd probably be tied w/ UT. I'd be more upset that we lost to Texas than I'd be with the BCS rankings. However, you must admit that you have to give up the head-to-head argument, because that just puts us in a neverending circular argument. Yes, among the three top teams, you didn't get to play a home game, so if that were a tie-breaker, you'd win. But I think the tiebreaker should go to whomever has the best overall body of work. The next tiebreaker should be who is better at the end of the year. I think either one of those should go to OU. I suspect you disagree.

UTgolfer
11/24/2008, 10:14 PM
I personally think it should be looked as who has had the better entire season. Guess what? Even one of the horn fans agrees that we have been better!

You obviously aren't familiar with the literary concept of sarcasm.

AzianSooner
11/24/2008, 10:45 PM
Anything relates to Whorn are good at politicking and licking as well.

Whorn suck.

UTgolfer
11/24/2008, 10:55 PM
Anything relates to Whorn are good at politicking and licking as well.

Whorn suck.

Well said, I guess. Care to translate? In English?

47straight
11/25/2008, 01:28 AM
Well said, I guess. Care to translate? In English?

"Being Longhorns, especially of the type that whore themselves out, you take naturally to both politicking and licking (penis).

I believe that said UT types are generally of low caliber."