PDA

View Full Version : OK, be honest...

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/24/2008, 01:46 PM
...in August 2007, during summer workouts, before a regular season snap had ever been taken, how many of you thought Keith Nichol should get the starting nod over Sam Bradford? I'm guilty.

Nichol was so highly recruited, and it was such a steal. Unless you were a PNC Panther fan, or followed recruiting more closely than any causal fan needs to, who knew what SB was capable of? I'm not knocking Nichol in the slightest, and I wish him the best of luck at Michigan State, and think he'll do great things there, but I'm not sure there's a person alive who saw the full extent of the Sam Bradford Revolution coming.

sooner59
11/24/2008, 01:50 PM
Seeing as barring a Reggie Smith mishandle of a punt or a concussion in Lubbock, Sam would have taken us to the MNC, it never even crossed my mind to even let Nichol play. Halzle showed at Tech that he was a capable backup. I figured we would just redshirt Nichol.

Partial Qualifier
11/24/2008, 01:50 PM
I was rooting for my PCN comrade :)

I'll say this: after seeing MSU a couple times this year.. he should be the Spartan's #1 next year. Nichol is a badass.

batonrougesooner
11/24/2008, 01:55 PM
I went to PCN myself so I was rooting for him but objectively I thought whomever the coaches picked was going to be the correct one. Kind of a cop-out I know but it's the truth.

Having said that, me and a buddy went to a North home game in October of his senior year to check the guy out. Our thoughts then were that he was nothing special. A career back up.

We were wrong.

OUHOMER
11/24/2008, 02:05 PM
...in August 2007, during summer workouts, before a regular season snap had ever been taken, how many of you thought Keith Nichol should get the starting nod over Sam Bradford? I'm guilty.

Nichol was so highly recruited, and it was such a steal. Unless you were a PNC Panther fan, or followed recruiting more closely than any causal fan needs to, who knew what SB was capable of? I'm not knocking Nichol in the slightest, and I wish him the best of luck at Michigan State, and think he'll do great things there, but I'm not sure there's a person alive who saw the full extent of the Sam Bradford Revolution coming.

Me too, did not even think about back then. I was thinking Bomar, than Nichol.

Its amazing how things work out.
We always seem to go from having too many QB's to not enough, but always having a good one.

SouthFortySooner
11/24/2008, 02:08 PM
I'll admit I thought Hybl over White but after that pudding was done I decided to leave it to the coaches. :)

Collier11
11/24/2008, 02:10 PM
Before last yr, I like Nichol. What does this prove us, Dont ever doubt Oklahoma and its people

Jason White's Third Knee
11/24/2008, 02:19 PM
I am with you on all of that. The interesting thing about Bradford is that I doubt if he knew what he could do either. He's got a great head on his shoulders. In HS, the guy was so good at so many sports that he never got to focus on just one. Now that he has done nothing but football for a few years he has just been a beast. He was also set up to win.

Imagine this:
You are learning from Josh Heupel, Jason White, and Paul Thompson. You step on the field with an experienced and skilled O-line. You have a ton of play makers around you in the back field and at receiver. Wilson is your OC. Whoa.

When he got the nod, I was thinking, "Wha?" Now, I love the guy.

cvsooner
11/24/2008, 03:45 PM
I was really hoping Halzle would score a TD on that final drive Sat. night just as icing on the cake. "Take THAT, Tech..."

tator
11/24/2008, 04:32 PM
Sam who?

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 04:39 PM
The best quarterbacks are Sooner born, Sooner bred! And this one's going to pilot an NFL team, hopefully after he graduates.

We Love OU
11/24/2008, 04:41 PM
See, I really like Keith...Who knows where we would be right now if he started over Bradford...Bradford is a nice player don't get me wrong...But where would we be now without his interception and a very soft 2nd half against Texazz...Their D dominated granted but maybe Keith would of been better?...If we lose to Texas which we obviously did, but maybe by less points?

Arrrgh...Just makes me mad that that beating is haunting us now...

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/24/2008, 04:47 PM
The best quarterbacks are Sooner born, Sooner bred!

Josh Heupel? We know not of this Josh Heupel of which you speak. ;)

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 05:20 PM
Josh Heupel? We know not of this Josh Heupel of which you speak. ;)

Lol, great quarterback, no Heisman = :( Maybe he got shafted, but still can't be considered the BEST quarterback. I think you give Jason White or Bradford that defense and you get the same result. And I love Heupel to death by the way.

cvsooner
11/24/2008, 05:30 PM
Heupel's no-Heisman? Torrance Marshall got it back for him.

Widescreen
11/24/2008, 05:37 PM
See, I really like Keith...Who knows where we would be right now if he started over Bradford...Bradford is a nice player don't get me wrong...But where would we be now without his interception and a very soft 2nd half against Texazz...Their D dominated granted but maybe Keith would of been better?...If we lose to Texas which we obviously did, but maybe by less points?

Arrrgh...Just makes me mad that that beating is haunting us now...

OK, this may be the worst first post in the history of the internet.

Sooner Stew
11/24/2008, 05:44 PM
LoL is he talking about Keith Nichol? Thats riduculous to think he could EVER be better than sammy

meoveryouxinfinity
11/24/2008, 05:48 PM
I had the pleasure of graduating from the Putnam City North class of 2006.

I was Sam's biggest fan.

But honestly, we were horrible his senior year, missing the playoffs for the first time in something like 10 years. Plus, we had about 5 guys go D1A (OSU, A&M, AF, Ole Miss, and OU)

meoveryouxinfinity
11/24/2008, 05:49 PM
Oh and I talked to Keith last night. He slipped a "yeah we played amazing on defense"

lol

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 05:56 PM

Yeah that was shockingly bad, on so many levels. I'm surprised Rhett's name wasn't thrown into that post.

Lott's Bandana
11/24/2008, 06:09 PM

T-word.

Should be guarding a bridge somewhere.

We Love OU
11/24/2008, 06:12 PM
Nice, I post my thoughts on if Keith is a better QB and you jump me...Hey Sam's the best, he played great against Texas....

So why did we lose that game????????...Seems to me if we hadn't we would be a little better off now and I wouldn't have to listen to all my UT friends remind me that no matter what OU does they kicked our azz...

Nice forum...Boomer...

cvsooner
11/24/2008, 06:17 PM
During his playing time here, Keith was not a better QB. He never moved past third string. We'd be a different team with him than what we are. Would we have beaten Texas with him? Maybe. We could/should have beaten them with Sam.

We lost the Texas game for two simple reasons: we needed to stop Texas at one point, and didn't, and they needed to stop us at one point, and they did.

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 06:22 PM
Nice, I post my thoughts on if Keith is a better QB and you jump me...Hey Sam's the best, he played great against Texas....

So why did we lose that game????????...Seems to me if we hadn't we would be a little better off now and I wouldn't have to listen to all my UT friends remind me that no matter what OU does they kicked our azz...

Nice forum...Boomer...

We have a quarterback who's shaping up to be the greatest quarterback in OU history, who's leading the Heisman race, who's the greatest reason why we can even be thinking of a national championship right now, and you're wondering if we should have gone with a random unproven quarterback instead.

People find that.....ungrateful? I don't know if that's the word I'm looking for. I may try thinking of a better negative description and possibly get back to you. I also may not, I tend to be lazy.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/24/2008, 06:26 PM
OK, this may be the worst first post in the history of the internet.Couldn't tell if he was an OU fan or a whorns fan.

We Love OU
11/24/2008, 06:28 PM
We have a quarterback who's shaping up to be the greatest quarterback in OU history, who's leading the Heisman race, who's the greatest reason why we can even be thinking of a national championship right now, and you're wondering if we should have gone with a random unproven quarterback instead.

People find that.....ungrateful? I don't know if that's the word I'm looking for. I may try thinking of a better negative description and possibly get back to you. I also may not, I tend to be lazy.

Wow dude...Guess I missed the point of the thread...Seems the question was did you think, not why would you question...

BTW, your forum name fits you well...

We Love OU
11/24/2008, 06:31 PM
Couldn't tell if he was an OU fan or a whorns fan.

Nice...What a friendly place this is...Boomer

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 06:43 PM
Wow dude...Guess I missed the point of the thread...Seems the question was did you think, not why would you question...

BTW, your forum name fits you well...

Lol I'm starting to think you really are a troll.

The question was about August 2007, not Oct 2008. In Oct 2008, we already knew Bradford was PHENOMINAL. He was a Heisman candidate even going into that game. The only other Sooner I can remember ever being a Heisman candidate as a Sophomore was Adrian Peterson. In addition, you're saying you wonder even now whether the game would be different, even knowing today what Bradford is.

I mean come on, why play a torturous guessing game like that? What if this, what if that......I'll stick with a quarterback who's having one of the greatest Sophomore seasons in college football history, tyvm. I'd rather not play the guessing game when I already know we ended up with the best quarterback in America.

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/24/2008, 06:45 PM

I started the thread...I'll field this one.

Basically I just wanted spur discussion by seeing if anyone else felt like they were eating crow now because they thought Nichol should've been the starter going into the 2007 season. I did at the time, but that was because not a soul in the Sooner Nation realized how good Sam Bradford could be. Hindsight is always 20/20, and it was basically just a thread to start a "Boy, were we all wrong" discussion.

Now, I'm not going to fly off the handle, neg spek you, or criticize you for having an opinion, but I disagree about your assessment of this year's Texas game. Sam did everything he possibly could to win that game for us, and about 99% of the blame for the loss falls on the defensive emotional breakdown after Ryan Reynolds got hurt. Furthermore, in watching Nichol play mop-up duty during a few games last year, he never impressed me. He had flashes of brilliance, but by and large he played like a freshman in over his head. Sam Bradford had the exact same amount of game experience going into 2007 (albeit one more year to learn the system by running the scout team in 2006), and he was nothing short of brilliant in almost every game he played. There's no question who I would've rather had at QB this year in the Texas game when the chips were down.

We've won 5 Big 12 Championships with 5 different quarterbacks, so I'll never again question whether or not the OU coaching staff knows what they're doing with regards to the QB position.

We Love OU
11/24/2008, 06:53 PM
Fair enough, but we don't know what Keith would of done is my point...so if you are happy with Bradford no matter what then so be it...That is the exact way my Texazz fan friends are...It's all about Colt and how he did a number on my sooners...I am going to quote some of this retoric right back at them...Thanks for the ammunition...

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 06:56 PM
Fair enough, but we don't know what Keith would of done is my point...so if you are happy with Bradford no matter what then so be it...That is the exact way my Texazz fan friends are...It's all about Colt and how he did a number on my sooners...I am going to quote some of this retoric right back at them...Thanks for the ammunition...

Next Monday you'll be able to stick it to them in so many ways you won't be able to figure out which one to use first. And the trump card is that OU has evolved into a much better team than UT, and that's why they'll be going to Kansas City and not Texas.

BTW, I didn't neg you either, I just thought your supposition was naive but you still have a right to it I guess.

We Love OU
11/24/2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks Vigilante!!...I have to relive that game everyday...They think Bradford can't hold Colt's jock...

I can hear Musberger in my dreams saying "Colt McCoy and his daddy"...

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/24/2008, 07:05 PM

No, we don't. We also don't know what would've happened had Romar not been a complete moron and gotten himself booted off the team. We don't know what would've happened had De'Mond Parker stuck around for Year 1 of the Stoops era. We don't know what would've happened had Kerry Jackson's HS transcripts not been altered. If "Ifs" and "Buts" were candy and nuts, then every day would be Christmas.

I'm happy with Sam Bradford, no matter what, because he embodies the very zeitgeist of What It Means to Be a Sooner. Colt's the same way, and even though he's a Hook 'em , I have a lot of respect for him as a person and a player. I doubt very many Hook 'em fans right now are playing the same "What If?" game you're playing about Jevan Snead. Snead's doing great things at Ole Miss, but he's still nowhere near the level of Colt McCoy. Likewise, Keith Nichol will do great things at Michigan State, but I doubt he'll ever be at the level Sam Bradford's been playing at for the last two years.

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks Vigilante!!...I have to relive that game everyday...They think Bradford can't hold Colt's jock...

I can hear Musberger in my dreams saying "Colt McCoy and his daddy"...

Well now they have to deal with Bradford being the Heisman front runner, with one game left for each player, Bradford getting to prove himself against a top 12 BCS team while all Colt's got is AtM, who people will expect him to do well against anyway. Bradford gets Gameday, the Saturday night ABC spotlight, and Heisman immortality if he plays well against OState, which he will because the greatest thing about Bradford is he's CONSISTENT. (Of course this is all assuming the voters don't do a switcharoo on Bradford if Tebow does great against Alabama)

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/24/2008, 07:24 PM
(Of course this is all assuming the voters don't do a switcharoo on Bradford if Tebow does great against Alabama)

Nice thing about Tebow against Alabama is that the same weekend, Sam could be playing against Missouri and Chase Daniel, and there was a point in the season where the Heisman was Chase Daniel's to lose. That'll surely get some media hype.

We Love OU
11/24/2008, 07:31 PM
Looks to me like it's a dead heat Bradford with McCoy...Tebow is 4th...Good game from either wins it...

Player, position School Last week Points
Sam Bradford, QB Oklahoma 14-for-19 passing, 304 yards, 4 TDs 42 (5)
Colt McCoy, QB Texas Did not play 41 (3)
Graham Harrell, QB Texas Tech 33-for-55 passing, 361 yards, 3 TDs 27 (1)
Tim Tebow, QB Florida 9-for-11, 201 yards passing, 3 TDs 23 (1)
Daryll Clark, QB Penn State 16-for-26 passing, 341 yards, 4 TDs 4
Chase Daniel, QB Missouri Did not play 4

JLEW1818
11/24/2008, 07:39 PM
If we beat the pokes its going to kill 2 birds 1 stone.

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 07:50 PM
Nice thing about Tebow against Alabama is that the same weekend, Sam could be playing against Missouri and Chase Daniel, and there was a point in the season where the Heisman was Chase Daniel's to lose. That'll surely get some media hype.

So true, the question is whether the voters are looking for any semi-legitimate reason to pick Tebow, and whether they'll give Bradford's performance against Mizzou enough weight to counter whatever great performance Tebow may have against Alabama. But luckily, Bradford gets another quality opponent to shine against to allow him to keep his hold on the Heisman, plus many votes will have already been cast by then =D.

Looks to me like it's a dead heat Bradford with McCoy...Tebow is 4th...Good game from either wins it...

Player, position School Last week Points
Sam Bradford, QB Oklahoma 14-for-19 passing, 304 yards, 4 TDs 42 (5)
Colt McCoy, QB Texas Did not play 41 (3)
Graham Harrell, QB Texas Tech 33-for-55 passing, 361 yards, 3 TDs 27 (1)
Tim Tebow, QB Florida 9-for-11, 201 yards passing, 3 TDs 23 (1)
Daryll Clark, QB Penn State 16-for-26 passing, 341 yards, 4 TDs 4
Chase Daniel, QB Missouri Did not play 4

Bradford will widen the gap with a solid performance against OSU, and if McCoy wants to stay in the picture he'd better break some records against AtM (speaking of which, Bradford is lined up to break a few OU records with even a mediocre game against OSU).

We Love OU
11/24/2008, 07:58 PM
Actually I think Colt has already broken them all...

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 08:13 PM
Actually I think Colt has already broken them all...

You must be really likin' that red....

I said OU records, if McCoy can break OU records while not even playing for them, well that would be impressive.

There's only two things McCoy can lay any claim to besting Bradford at this year: completion % and rushing yards. McCoy currently has a LOT fewer touchdowns, a LOT fewer yards, a LOT worse passer rating, and more interceptions than Bradford does.

Want to compare freshman years?

McCoy had a 68.2 completion percentage. Bradford had a 69.5 completion percentage. As freshmen, Bradford had more yards, more touchdowns, and a better passer rating than McCoy. Bradford did however have more interceptions....McCoy had 7, Bradford had 8.

Bradford kicks McCoy's @ss in every way. McCoy isn't the equivalent of a Bradford pube.

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/24/2008, 08:15 PM
Fortunately, a victory in Stillwater will be fresh on Heisman voters' minds, since Colt played 2 days before. The bad news is Colt has the Thanksgiving primetime spotlight all to himself, whereas we have to share it with USC-Notre Dame, which will surely pull SOME viewers (stupid ones, or Spoiled Children/Domer alumni) away from our game. The good news is that a victory in Stillwater SHOULD propel us over the 'Horns in the BCS, and give Bradford an extra game to prove his Heisman worth. Even though Florida's hot with legitimate MNC hopes, Tebow's numbers aren't nearly as impressive as last year's, which should work against him. He's been good, but it's not the One Man Show it was last year. He's still 22 Touchdowns shy of last year's total, and since this has been since Day One the Year of the Big 12 Quarterback, either Bradford or McCoy will win it. Right now my money's still on McCoy, but that could easily change if the circumstances I just described play out. Right now, McCoy has more name recognition, and the advantage of being an upperclassman, and the ramifications of Saturday's victory still haven't quite sunk in. Heisman voters are some of the most conservative people alive, and will go for the safe, predictable pick every single time.

We Love OU
11/24/2008, 08:41 PM

What you talkin about willis?

vigilantesooner
11/24/2008, 08:44 PM

What you talkin about willis?

Well OU of course.....

:rolleyes:

We Love OU
11/24/2008, 08:51 PM
of course...

oupride
11/24/2008, 09:03 PM
Who is Rhett?

Widescreen
11/25/2008, 12:05 AM
of course...

Thanks for the gray spek. I hope I can sleep tonight. Hahahaha.

We Love OU
11/25/2008, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the gray spek. I hope I can sleep tonight. Hahahaha.

No problem...You have a couple of more now so....Enjoy...

Jason White's Third Knee
11/25/2008, 09:52 AM
So why did we lose that game????????

Nice forum...Boomer...

I am gonna go with:
1. Our KO return coverage sucked.
2. 2 phantom personal fouls on our d on 3rd and long.
3. Interception? The announcers thought so. I don't know the exact rule.
4. Cover the white guy, damnit!

Jason White's Third Knee
11/25/2008, 10:24 AM
Here are the stats from the OU/texas game. Why does everyone think that McCoy was so much better than Bradford? It's absurd.

McCoy 28/35 277yds 1td 0int
Bradford 28/39 387yds 5td 2int

One int was a garbage one on the last play of the game.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2008, 11:01 AM
We Love OU...your posting is familiar...

anyway..GOOD LUCK AROUND HERE!

FirstandGoal
11/25/2008, 11:10 AM

Don't mind me, I'm just sitting here waiting to see how long it takes before someone sends ya one a one way trip to Bolivia

Looks like a pretty good start so far.

A-M
11/25/2008, 11:44 AM
We've won 5 Big 12 Championships with 5 different quarterbacks, so I'll never again question whether or not the OU coaching staff knows what they're doing with regards to the QB position.

Boy did you say it. I would hate to be the one who had to make that decission! Seeing them in practice is one thing, but who really know how they will play in a real game situtation. Not me, that's for sure! You know, I can't remember Big Bob ever calling me to ask me who I would start at any position. So, I'll just have to trust him and his assistants to do the job they get paid for doing.;)

olevetonahill
11/25/2008, 12:34 PM

Boy whos ****ing Troll are you ?
You register today , Yer 1st post was smackin On Sam , Now you talkin **** to Long Time members here. If you ARE in Bolivia Now. Im fixing to send yer Ignorant *** to the South pole :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
11/25/2008, 12:44 PM
Don't mind me, I'm just sitting here waiting to see how long it takes before someone sends ya one a one way trip to Bolivia

Looks like a pretty good start so far.

Hey Babe . I wish he would Post More stupid **** . I aint quite Got him to the South Pole Yet ;)
But Here He is On the Next to last page Just above a few :texan: s :D
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/memberlist.php?do=getall&page=196&pp=30&order=desc&sort=reputation

We Love OU
11/25/2008, 03:05 PM
OK, then here's another question...What is a TROLL?...And you are stupid too!!!

vigilantesooner
11/25/2008, 03:21 PM

What are you, 5? I suggest you root for Texas, you'd be a very good fit with that bunch.

JLEW1818
11/25/2008, 03:27 PM
We Love OU...your posting is familiar...

anyway..GOOD LUCK AROUND HERE!

who might it be?

1890MilesToNorman
11/25/2008, 03:36 PM
Kind of weird ain't it, What if Miami hadn't broken Aikman's leg in 85?

I'll leave these decisions to the coaches, I'll be the best fan I can be and them damn coaches better be the best damn coach they can be. All is right in the world.

We Love OU
11/25/2008, 03:37 PM
who might it be?

You mean like, am I someone famous?...Nope, I'm just a regular guy trying to make ends meet in the heartland of American...Middle class and I voted accordingly..Just trying to enjoy my team, and talk some football...

But obviously some sooner fans are just mean and down hearted, almost like they have an agenda...

Thank you to the many that have sent me notes of encouragement, I won't be run off...

Boomer...

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/25/2008, 03:56 PM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

We Love OU
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

It's the joke that never gets old ;)

We Love OU
11/25/2008, 04:32 PM
Nope, not me...

But here's a question I just got handed to me, Why is Stoopes following Mac's lead around like like a little puppy dog...

Did someone tell him to cool it with the whining?...

Just curious, he was stammering and stuff...

Widescreen
11/25/2008, 05:13 PM
We Love OU. Who is "We"? Are you possessed? Or just have multiple personality disorder?

vigilantesooner
11/25/2008, 05:31 PM
Nope, not me...

But here's a question I just got handed to me, Why is Stoopes following Mac's lead around like like a little puppy dog...

Well you got your McCoy BS shoved back in your face, now you're moving on to Stoops. Which do you want to compare first, their overall record or their record vs each other? How about we compare who's been to the most BCS Bowls? How about conference championships?

Seriously, where would you like to begin?

olevetonahill
11/25/2008, 05:36 PM

Nope Just you .Oh and as OpenaCan said years ago " Does it Hurt to be this Stupid " ?

olevetonahill
11/25/2008, 05:38 PM
Nope, not me...

Dude you are so Obvious a troll . that its Pathetic .:rolleyes:
A Real Fan would Be trying to Get along and Learn . Not Start stiring shat up with His 1st Post .
Take yer Grey Ghey spek and shove it up yer ***,:P

olevetonahill
11/25/2008, 05:41 PM
You mean like, am I someone famous?...Nope, I'm just a regular guy trying to make ends meet in the heartland of American...Middle class and I voted accordingly..Just trying to enjoy my team, and talk some football...

But obviously some sooner fans are just mean and down hearted, almost like they have an agenda...

Thank you to the many that have sent me notes of encouragement, I won't be run off...

Boomer...

IF You really are a Sooner Fan , then welcome .
No ones trying to Run you Off .
You have done nothing But try to stir shat up since you Joined.
So I believe you are a Troll .:D

vigilantesooner
11/25/2008, 05:43 PM
I don't think an OU fan says this:

Neither does an intelligent person, this guy is still obviously struggling with the English language.

FirstandGoal
11/25/2008, 10:26 PM
Hey Babe . I wish he would Post More stupid **** . I aint quite Got him to the South Pole Yet ;)
But Here He is On the Next to last page Just above a few :texan: s :D
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/memberlist.php?do=getall&page=196&pp=30&order=desc&sort=reputation

Well, I wasn't gonna get involved in it cause I know you have such a massive spekker ;)

...wonder how cold it is in the South Pole right now.