PDA

View Full Version : The game that never happened.

My Opinion Matters
11/24/2008, 11:29 AM
Texas Tech 39
Texas 33

The Maestro
11/24/2008, 11:37 AM
Bingo! I bet the number "39" is perma-banned on whornfans and combining the words "Gideon" and "dropped" gets you blocked as well.

boomersooner28
11/24/2008, 11:38 AM
The game that never happened part II:

Ole Miss - 31
Florida - 30 (in "The Swamp")

fadada1
11/24/2008, 11:42 AM
funny how that texas/txtech game was only 2 weeks ago. how quickly espn forgets.

1890MilesToNorman
11/24/2008, 11:52 AM
Texas only lead in this game for 89 seconds!! The rest of the game Texas was a whimpering group of boys being taken to the woodshed.

Jewstin
11/24/2008, 12:50 PM
GREATEST FOUR GAME STRETCH, uhh ... ... COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY ... HEAD-TO-HEAD ... wait, OU SUCKS .... .... uh ... mack brown ...... sports ...

</Texan>

JLEW1818
11/24/2008, 12:53 PM
Obviously the voters remember b/c we are ahead of saxet in human polls.

StanberryWasIn
11/24/2008, 12:58 PM
Assuming the three way tie happens and, pursuant to the Big XII rule that's been in place all year, we go on to KC, win there and go onto Miami, second only to my pleasure in watching the Sooners excel will be watching the total peurile meltdown of the UT fanbase. It would be delicious.

The only thing that would make it better is if they're our opponent in Miami and after a month of them whining about OU "cheating" them out of a Big XII title we beat them by four touchdowns.

soonerfan28
11/24/2008, 01:00 PM
Assuming the three way tie happens and, pursuant to the Big XII rule that's been in place all year, we go on to KC, win there and go onto Miami, second only to my pleasure in watching the Sooners excel will be watching the total peurile meltdown of the UT fanbase. It would be delicious.

The only thing that would make it better is if they're our opponent in Miami and after a month of them whining about OU "cheating" them out of a Big XII title we beat them by four touchdowns.

Couldnt have said it better.

JLEW1818
11/24/2008, 01:02 PM
The funny thing though, is ut fans know its coming with a Win over the pokes

hockeydude
11/24/2008, 01:53 PM
The game that DID happen, Part I

UT 45
OU 35

:mack:

*as a Horn fan that understands the fact that we f'ked up against TTU and therefore the system dictates, whatever happens, I did enjoy the a$$ raping of Tech - thanks!

SoonersEnFuego
11/24/2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah, we keep hearing about it.

soonermeteor
11/24/2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah, and I think most would argue we are a different team at this point. The same team that lost to Texas would not have just had an historic annihilation against Tech (who beat Texas!). Clearly the voters have forgiven Florida for their terrible home loss (much worse than our loss to Texas and I think most of you agree) because they believe that isn't the same Florida team thats playing now. Why dont we get the same courtesy?

Outopia
11/24/2008, 03:26 PM

UT 45
OU 35

*as a Horn fan that understands the fact that we f'ked up against TTU and therefore the system dictates, whatever happens, I did enjoy the a$$ raping of Tech - thanks!

If it's all you got, it's all you got. It happened in part do to Colt's Academy Award Performance on those two personal fouls called on OU where he took a dive after being "touched " by OU defenders on his way out of bounds. Karma is a bitch little Colt.

hockeydude
11/25/2008, 01:09 PM
If it's all you got, it's all you got. It happened in part do to Colt's Academy Award Performance on those two personal fouls called on OU where he took a dive after being "touched " by OU defenders on his way out of bounds. Karma is a bitch little Colt.

well, if/when you make it to a BCS game, try not to lose this one. Of course, from the above, you'll surely find some excuses as to why OU loses (again).

"bad, wittle wefferees" *sniff, sniff*

"sun was in our eyes"

"panties were too tight"

Hot Rod
11/25/2008, 01:16 PM

Lewis should've made it worth the 15 yards and layed another concussion on him.

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah, and I think most would argue we are a different team at this point. The same team that lost to Texas would not have just had an historic annihilation against Tech (who beat Texas!). Clearly the voters have forgiven Florida for their terrible home loss (much worse than our loss to Texas and I think most of you agree) because they believe that isn't the same Florida team thats playing now. Why dont we get the same courtesy?

Because the facts indicate that you are not playing as well today defensively as you were at the start of the year.

You hold up cincy and tcu as "signature wins." and in the 5 games before you played and lost to Texas, your defense was giving up 14 points a game.

Now. .the 4 games before you played Tech, you gave up an average of 31 points a game to the bottom dwellers of the Big XII...

You may say.. "but, look at our offense!" Great.. congrats.. you beat... KU not nearly as convincingly as we did.. KSU... the Bugeaters and aggy.

Yes, you played a very good game against Tech. Congrats. BUT, the facts do not support the unsubstantiated blather that OU is the hottest team right now.

The only difference between now and October appears to be.. you played Tech instead of Texas.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2008, 01:36 PM
Lid, OU is a hot team right now - every game since UT has been over at half except for KU and that was the longest ago. A couple of games over after the first quarter - you can't get any hotter than that. UT has played well except against TT; I can only assume they are "hot" too. Both teams would likely represent well in the CCG and the national stage if they got there. Maybe this tie thing will go away this weekend - who knows. If not, it is what it is. I don't like the BCS being the tie breaker because of the weird politics out there - I'd rather all tie breakers be determined by some conference rule. At least the politics would be in the family.

Hot Rod
11/25/2008, 01:40 PM
You hold up cincy and tcu as "signature wins." and in the 5 games before you played and lost to Texas, your defense was giving up 14 points a game.
Are Cincy and TCU not 14 & 16 in the BCS? Plus they are non-conf opponents.

Now. .the 4 games before you played Tech, you gave up an average of 31 points a game to the bottom dwellers of the Big XII...
And how much did we score against these teams? Our 2nd stringers played the majority of the 2nd half on these games. Plus, I believe once Bradford sits, we just run the ball. Their defense knows it, stops us, gets the ball back over and over.

You may say.. "but, look at our offense!" Great.. congrats.. you beat... KU not nearly as convincingly as we did.. KSU... the Bugeaters and aggy.
Well, we certainly beat Tech more convincingly! This is dumb argument.

Yes, you played a very good game against Tech. Congrats. BUT, the facts do not support the unsubstantiated blather that OU is the hottest team right now.
Defeating the #2 team in the nation by 44. Yeah, it's no big deal. I'm sure had Texas done that in Austin, it wouldn't be much to talk about.

The only difference between now and October appears to be.. you played Tech instead of Texas.
And who's fault is that? Is this some type of argument? The schedule is what it is. It just happened to fall this way. See above

NOVSooner
11/25/2008, 01:41 PM
Palm said it best right here: ""Voters would have no reason to go back to Texas if OU beats a top 15 team on the road.” so let's look past the BCS and focus on osu and win and hope logical voters agree with palm's logic here

JLEW1818
11/25/2008, 01:42 PM
yah we gave up points to crappy teams, late in the games because we take pressure off. Just like last night, tech went on what a 98 yard drive? To score a meaningless TD.

Bosley
11/25/2008, 01:50 PM
The only thing the voters need to think about is this:

"If you had to pick what team you believe would win a head to head matchup right now who do you pick between OU and texas?"

If you take out Shipley's 98 yard kickoff return, I say OU wins by 17 in October.

Our defense has adjusted to RR being gone, we're playing with more fire than any team in the country.

Yah.....OU hands down.

Have to take care of little brother this weekend and we should be fine...Unless Mack Brown starts flying out of Austin every day to fellace the voters again.

NCAAISAJOKE
11/25/2008, 02:04 PM

UT 45
OU 35

Funny how this game counts more due to the fact that it was on a nuetral field. I thought a loss was a loss and a win was a win. I guess we can throw in there that we lost our best defensive player half way through that game. Sure that didnt make a difference though:confused: This OU team is different then the team texas saw in the 2nd half without Reynolds. Box is getting comfortable and playing great!!!! Texas had a bad game at Tech and OU had a bad game in Dallas!! I think both teams are better then the teams they loss too.

OUMallen
11/25/2008, 02:14 PM

So right. They don't want ANY piece of us in Miami...I guarantee if you said: OK whiners, we all got together and decided OU/TX for all the marbles in Miami just so you'd stop crying- they'd collectively crap their pants. Again, they want NO piece of us. They just want to bitch.

You lose a ballgame => you lose your bitching rights.

NCAAISAJOKE
11/25/2008, 02:16 PM
well, if/when you make it to a BCS game, try not to lose this one. Of course, from the above, you'll surely find some excuses as to why OU loses (again).

"bad, wittle wefferees" *sniff, sniff*

"sun was in our eyes"

"panties were too tight"

Is it true that Mack has only won 1 conference title in 11 years?? You are right OU sucks:pop:

MamaMia
11/25/2008, 02:31 PM
If someone would be so kind as to provide to me, the ESPN Game Day talking heads emails, if they even exist, I would be ever so happy to politely remind them of "the game that never happened." :)

Bosley
11/25/2008, 02:45 PM
If someone would be so kind as to provide to me, the ESPN Game Day talking heads emails, if they even exist, I would be ever so happy to politely remind them of "the game that never happened." :)

Someone should start a counter facebook group. Why not.

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 02:46 PM
You lose a ballgame => you lose your bitching rights.

Agreed.

You lost to us.

Stop bitching.

1890MilesToNorman
11/25/2008, 02:51 PM
New game, instead of Rock, Paper, Scissors we can go with Tech, Sucks Sooners.

Tech dominates Sucks, Sucks just Sucks and Sooners dominate Tech.

sooneron
11/25/2008, 02:54 PM

:mack: Half of those don't count, they were road games!

OUDoc
11/25/2008, 02:55 PM
B

Fine. Rank us behind all the other teams that won a top 5 match-up by over 40 points.

GrapevineSooner
11/25/2008, 02:59 PM
And then if we beat OSU, rank us behind all those other Big 12 teams that didn't register a road win over a top 15 team. ;)

meoveryouxinfinity
11/25/2008, 03:00 PM
Texas Tech 39
Texas 33

OMG R U SRSOUS???? WHEN??????????

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 03:06 PM
Fine. Rank us behind all the other teams that won a top 5 match-up by over 40 points.

Let's rank you by how many points did KU score against you and margin of victory vs. number of points scored by KU against Texas and margin of victory.

IF ONLY, Texas and OU had played this year so the better of the two teams could have been determined. Oh to be able to settle it .. maybe in a neutral site so neither team would have a home field advantage so the better team could be determined.

Oh wait....

OUDoc
11/25/2008, 03:09 PM
Let's rank you by how many points did KU score against you and margin of victory vs. number of points scored by KU against Texas and margin of victory.

IF ONLY, Texas and OU had played this year so the better of the two teams could have been determined. Oh to be able to settle it .. maybe in a neutral site so neither team would have a home field advantage so the better team could be determined.

Oh wait....
Quit drawing the argument away. You said "the facts do not support the unsubstantiated blather that OU is the hottest team right now."
I say the facts do say that.

You guys did beat us. It's a shame no one else seems to care about that. If it were reversed, I'd be PISSED. But it doesn't seem to be leaning that way.

And, we laid off Kansas at the end. We could have score more and we could have kept them from scoring the TD with one minute to go, but it didn't matter.

OUMallen
11/25/2008, 03:33 PM
Agreed.

You lost to us.

Stop bitching.

You usually cool. Now you just being a jerk.

Ain't NOBODY bitching here, whorn. We're pretty certain that, at this point, we win, we're in. We're just sick of hearing you teasipping doiley-knitters complain non-stop WHEN YOU LOST A CONFERENCE GAME. Jackass. Stop playing such a pathetic non-con schedule and this won't happen. Your body of work is NOT AS GOOD AS OURS IS ABOUT TO BE! You led us by what, a total of 8/60 minutes? Ridiculous.

JLEW1818
11/25/2008, 03:41 PM
If everybody claims that Tech is the worse of the 3 teams.

then

Texas lost to the worse of the 3 teams, therefore they should be penalized more, and I think the voters realized that.

A bigger loss means more the a bigger win, sometimes.

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 03:42 PM
You usually cool. Now you just being a jerk.

Ain't NOBODY bitching here, whorn. We're pretty certain that, at this point, we win, we're in. We're just sick of hearing you teasipping doiley-knitters complain non-stop WHEN YOU LOST A CONFERENCE GAME. Jackass. Stop playing such a pathetic non-con schedule and this won't happen. Your body of work is NOT AS GOOD AS OURS IS ABOUT TO BE! You led us by what, a total of 8/60 minutes? Ridiculous.

Whoa hoss.

YOU LOST A CONFERENCE GAME TOO.

Oh.. and.. Chattanuggies and a winless Washington team ?????

right now, ou is the shiny new toy for the little voters. That may pass.

OUMallen
11/25/2008, 03:44 PM
It won't pass, and that's killing you.

You REALLY want to get into non-con? REALLY? With OU this year? You're just ignoring facts now. Which, I mean, that's what I expect you to do.

And like I said- you don't hear us bitching. We're just sick of the off-base UT fan drivel we're (predictably) hearing. BUT WE BEAT OU AND IT WASN'T IN AUSTIN! You also were getting beat the lion's share of that game. Just like Tech beat the ever-loving crap outta UT and you guys led for, what, like 90 seconds in that game?

What most OU fans just can't understand is your sheer unwillingness to recognize that the computers and polls are about the absolute most objective way to measure a team's worth based on their body of work over the season. You just don't think it's FAIR! Well, this is one of the absolutely FAIREST ways we can come up with it. I mean. What do you want us to do? Do a rain dance and have Jesus float down and pick a team Himself?

Schedule a better non-con. This is how bad your non-con is: you played Mizzou and we didn't and you will STILL get passed by Oklahoma.

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 03:46 PM
Quit drawing the argument away. You said "the facts do not support the unsubstantiated blather that OU is the hottest team right now."
I say the facts do say that.

You guys did beat us. It's a shame no one else seems to care about that. If it were reversed, I'd be PISSED. But it doesn't seem to be leaning that way.

And, we laid off Kansas at the end. We could have score more and we could have kept them from scoring the TD with one minute to go, but it didn't matter.

We also laid off Kansas at the end. We could have scored and our second teamers DID keep them from scoring at the end of our game with them.

Offensively, yes, you appear to be better.

Defensively.. do you not remember how most of the pundits were questioning OU's ability to hang based on your defense? Giving up an average of 31 points a game to the more pedestrian offenses in the Big XII will do that to you.

This, "we're hot right now" mantra seems to be based more on the billystomping you gave to the Pirates.

Overall body of work though? Texas and OU are so incredibly comparable.

MamaMia
11/25/2008, 03:47 PM
Agreed.

You lost to us.

Stop bitching.We lost to you by a lot less points than we beat the team who beat you. Do the math. :cool:

cvsooner
11/25/2008, 03:48 PM
Lid, some of us aren't bitching. We know we lost to UT. Likewise, you lost to Tech. We beat Tech. Currently, that makes for a three-way tie. Big 12 rules did anticipate the occasional three-way tie and the rulebreaker, while fair or not, is the rulebreaker. It happens to be the highest BCS standings. The other arguments are persuasive, or not, depending upon what parameters you want to use. It could be we lose to OSewe and Tech wins and goes to the Big 12 championship. All any of us can do is go play and win. The final result then is out of our hands.

We lost full control of our destiny by losing in Dallas. You lost yours in Lubbock, and Tech lost theirs in Norman. All that's left, right now, is this weekend. It will sort itself out.

I repeat my offer: you guys lose Thursday and it will get much simpler.

JLEW1818
11/25/2008, 03:49 PM
well hope for FSU to beat florida, then florida to beat Alabama , and we will have a rematch

cvsooner
11/25/2008, 03:55 PM
Unless...somehow Utah is able to lobby for a spot. Or USC. Or Penn State.

vigilantesooner
11/25/2008, 03:56 PM
There is no way OU ceases to be the "shiny new toy" because we've got another tough team to play, Texas has nobody. With a win on Saturday, the voters will be even MORE impressed with OU. Do you envision voters being impressed by a beat down of freakin' AtM??

OU is already ahead of Texas in the polls, the only thing that knocks them off is a loss. A win will put them even farther ahead with the human polls. With the computer polls, OU will get a strength of schedule boost and a quality win boost. Texas will actually get hurt, no matter how bad they beat AtM.

OU is .008 out of being in the NC, and the computers will fix that on Sunday without a problem.

Just admit you're scared to death. It really doesn't matter if you're right or not about all of this head to head nonsense, you're still out. Out.

JLEW1818
11/25/2008, 03:58 PM
Unless...somehow Utah is able to lobby for a spot. Or USC. Or Penn State.

If that happened the system is ****ed up. Idc if they say that texas didnt win their conference or not, they did just as much as penn state or usc did. Neither have a conference championship game.

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 04:01 PM
Actually Vigilante... unless OU smokes Okie Lite, and history under Stoops in Stoolwater does not support that, you may lose votes.

When Texas lost to sand aggy, the immediate vote dropped Texas to 7th. The fact is, after a big night game, emotions dictate some people's voting pattern. The week after the Texas - Tech game, some voters realizing Texas had been dropped too far, moved Texas up.

The same correction may very well occur...

Unless you do the decent thing and lose to your aggy this Saturday. :D

JLEW1818
11/25/2008, 04:05 PM
Stoops never played good in College Station either.

I understand Ok State is better then the other aggies.

We shall see

OUMallen
11/25/2008, 04:05 PM
Lid, some of us aren't bitching. We know we lost to UT. Likewise, you lost to Tech. We beat Tech. Currently, that makes for a three-way tie. Big 12 rules did anticipate the occasional three-way tie and the rulebreaker, while fair or not, is the rulebreaker. It happens to be the highest BCS standings. The other arguments are persuasive, or not, depending upon what parameters you want to use. It could be we lose to OSewe and Tech wins and goes to the Big 12 championship. All any of us can do is go play and win. The final result then is out of our hands.

We lost full control of our destiny by losing in Dallas. You lost yours in Lubbock, and Tech lost theirs in Norman. All that's left, right now, is this weekend. It will sort itself out.

I repeat my offer: you guys lose Thursday and it will get much simpler.

There is not one thing that is unfair about it. It's just unpopular in Austin. Crissakes people, it's a set of rules to BREAK A TIE. This is like a divorce proceeding: you don't end up with two happy parties at the end of the deal. Someone's going to feel wronged. Both teams might feel wronged.

But I'll take the team that has lost for 8 minutes ALL YEAR over the team with a crap non-con, got whipped start-to-finish in Lubbock minus 90 seconds and their best win of the season they were losing for 52 minutes of it and getting just whipped for 30 of it.

If anyone's the fluke this year, it's Texas, not Tech.

oupride
11/25/2008, 04:08 PM
Texas did not beat a ranked team on the road.

OUDoc
11/25/2008, 04:08 PM
Actually Vigilante... unless OU smokes Okie Lite, and history under Stoops in Stoolwater does not support that, you may lose votes.

When Texas lost to sand aggy, the immediate vote dropped Texas to 7th. The fact is, after a big night game, emotions dictate some people's voting pattern. The week after the Texas - Tech game, some voters realizing Texas had been dropped too far, moved Texas up.

Won't happen. If we win by any margin, we overtake texas. I'll bet you an avatar change on it.

OUMallen
11/25/2008, 04:10 PM
This, "we're hot right now" mantra seems to be based more on the billystomping you gave to the Pirates.

Check our scores since we played you

Overall body of work though? Texas and OU are so incredibly comparable.

Yeah, except the part where you played such a God-awful non-con that you even played MIZZOU and we're still going to pass you with our non-con which includes ranked, possible-conference-winners.

And don't worry. Once we absolutely dismantle Mizzou in KC, a lot of this will be put to rest and the all of the bleating idiots (on both sides) can go back out to pasture.

PDXsooner
11/25/2008, 04:12 PM

it won't. have fun in the fiesta bowl, and good luck. it's a good bowl, and a good reward. you should have played better pass D on the final play in lubbock. ha ha!!

OUMallen
11/25/2008, 04:15 PM

Forgive me, but I think I'll take Jerry Palm's analysis over your opinion. OU's in. :pop:

JLEW1818
11/25/2008, 04:19 PM
Another thing, Oklahoma gets the last say, it being the last game on Saturday. Voters will forget about texas playing on Thursday

sooner94
11/25/2008, 04:20 PM
well hope for FSU to beat florida, then florida to beat Alabama , and we will have a rematch

Yep, that's what I'm hoping for.

Or, Auburn beats Bama, then Bama beats Florida.

JLEW1818
11/25/2008, 04:24 PM
That's if a I'm a UT fan. As a sooner fan, I'd rather play it safe, and hope Florida wins.

vigilantesooner
11/25/2008, 04:26 PM

The same correction may very well occur...

Unless you do the decent thing and lose to your aggy this Saturday. :D

Why should OU have to smoke a top 12 BCS team in a very hostile environment? If we beat them by 1 pt on a last second field goal, that would be enough. Texas barely beat OSU at HOME. Beating OSU by 1pt on the road will be far more impressive than winning by 4 at home.

I will guarantee you, and mark it down, OU gains votes if they beat OSU. I agree that many voters were acting off of the game night emotions when they voted OU ahead of Texas, and may be rethinking their vote. But when they see OU beat OSU on the road, that will solidify it in their mind. Added to that, there's voters who are waiting to see how OU does against OSU, who voted OU behind Texas but have already made up their mind that if OU wins they deserve to be ranked over Texas.

There's no way to win this argument, you can only end up looking sillier on Sunday. A win at OSU, no matter how close or ugly, is still a good, quality win.

FlatheadSooner
11/25/2008, 04:30 PM
Offensively, yes, you appear to be better.

Defensively.. do you not remember how most of the pundits were questioning OU's ability to hang based on your defense? Giving up an average of 31 points a game to the more pedestrian offenses in the Big XII will do that to you.

As others have mentioned, a lot of the defensive statistics are skewed by second halfs with second teamers.

Auston Box has been growing up before OUr eyes the last 4 games. He is picking up the position VERY quickly and this is bringing stability. Now we are settling in the secondary more (stop moving players vs positions). OSU should provide another data point of this trend.

## Player Solo Ast Tot TFL/Yds FF FR-Yd Intc BrUp Blkd Sack/Yds QH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 Box, Austin 4 5 9 3.0/4 . . . . . . .

12 Box, Austin 3 5 8 1.0/8 . . 1-0 . . . .

12 Box, Austin 1 2 3 . . . . 1 . . .

12 Box, Austin 5 4 9 1.0/1 . . . . . . .

Readyfor8
11/25/2008, 04:33 PM
Agreed.

You lost to us.

Stop bitching.

All you had to do was play defense on Crabtree FOR ONE POSSESSION AT THE END OF THE GAME...

Something OU did for an entire game, Bottom Line time... Home field advantage does not add up to 44 points, out of the three teams with one loss in the division, OU has the most impressive victory in terms of domination.

You got lucky in Dallas, just not lucky enough to win a National Championship, because OU is the better team.

OUMallen
11/25/2008, 04:40 PM
Rf8, don't forget they led OU for 8/52 minutes. :rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 04:56 PM
You got lucky in Dallas, just not lucky enough to win a National Championship, because OU is the better team.

Texas got lucky?

ok.. let's review...

Texas 45
ou 35

And yet.. OU is the better team?

Was it lucky that Texas had more first downs than OU?
Was it lucky that Texas had 113 more rushing yards than OU?
Was it lucky that Texas had more offensive yards than OU?
Was it lucky that Texas had zero turnovers and OU had 2 ?
Was it lucky that Texas punting average was 12 yards more than OU?
Was it lucky that Texas had time of possession by over 14 minutes?
Was it lucky OU was held to 48 yards rushing for the entire game?

Between Texas and OU, Texas proved we were the better team where it counts.. not in its fans' opinions or in the court of public opinion, but on the field.

OUDoc
11/25/2008, 05:04 PM
Yup. Lucky.

:)

And that's a low blow, bringing our kicking game into the argument.

StoopTroup
11/25/2008, 05:07 PM
Between Texas and OU, Texas proved we were the better team where it counts.. not in its fans' opinions or in the court of public opinion, but on the field.

There is no between OU and texas...

We lost a game in October on the road and you lost one on the road. Both Conference losses.

If your going to spew this texas > OU bullcrap...you have to include your little loss on the road to a team we beat the bejeeezus out of. Your Team isn't the same Team it was in October IMO. I've watched your games.

I'd like to play again...but I'd also like to get this O-State game behind us before we further speculate the possibilities of what might occur with Monday's BCS Standings. There is still a week of football to play and your smack is .0084 from not having any teeth left in it's mouth.

cvsooner
11/25/2008, 05:12 PM
Texas got lucky?

ok.. let's review...

Texas 45
ou 35

Better for part of one quarter of one game does not necessarily equate to the better team. Using your example, let's say, the better team would not have trailed for nearly the entire game and had to come from behind to go ahead with a minute and a half to go in Lubbock.

Lid, this argument is moot. It's out of your hands. It's much like two years ago when you had the head to head victory and it was all in your grasp until you lost to Kansas State and then to A & M. We were lucky then.

And last year we owned the head to head and then lost to Tech, putting our hopes to rest until you lost to A & M.

I know it sucks to be you right now...well, all the time, actually....but accept it, man. As I say, lose Thursday night and life will clarify itself.

cvsooner
11/25/2008, 05:14 PM
In fact, right now, you're still # 2 in the BCS. What have you got to worry about? Calm down, relax, lose Thursday...it'll all be okay.

cvsooner
11/25/2008, 05:16 PM
I suppose right now, Lid, you could argue that the "market" agrees with you, which is why they left Texas at # 2. What's irking you is we've got one step left to take which would give us a greater point total and eclipse you in the BCS. You know, it's like two field goals and a safety is better than a TD and a PAT...doesn't matter how you get the points. What matters is how many points you have.

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 05:19 PM
God..Im tired of arguing this stuff.

How are the casinos just over the border?

MamaMia
11/25/2008, 05:50 PM
Lid, if you all are so much more deserving than OU to represent the south in he Big XII Conference game then why is your pantie waist coach shamelessly whining like a baby all over the ESPN campaigning for votes?

[pouting]"Please vote for us...pretty please with some sugar on top? I love you long time."[pouting]...Mack Brown

NCAAISAJOKE
11/25/2008, 06:05 PM

Oh wait....

So Lid are you saying that Ole Miss is better then Florida??? Better yet, those horrible A&M teams better then Texass???? Great logic. It couldnt be that a better team just had a bad day huh??

PDXsooner
11/25/2008, 07:18 PM
texas beat OU head to head and proved they were better when it counted, no way to argue with that. but you left the door open just enough when you let texas tech beat you.

head-to-head to is the ultimate way to decide an argument - BETWEEN TWO TEAMS!!! this isn't a 2-team argument, it's a 3-team. so unless you're willing to put texas tech ahead of the horns, move on to different criteria!!!

Hot Rod
11/25/2008, 07:30 PM
Texas got lucky?

ok.. let's review...

Texas 45
ou 35

So, then you're saying Tech is the better team as well?

Tech 39
Texas 33

Tech had better passing yards, rushing yards, more first downs, and better 3rd down efficiency.

Knippz
11/25/2008, 08:02 PM
So, then you're saying Tech is the better team as well?

Tech 39
Texas 33

Tech had better passing yards, rushing yards, more first downs, and better 3rd down efficiency.

Owned.

So Lid are you saying that Ole Miss is better then Florida??? Better yet, those horrible A&M teams better then Texass???? Great logic. It couldnt be that a better team just had a bad day huh??

And owned again.

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2008, 08:15 PM
Watch us both gag this weekend. ;)

Jacie
11/25/2008, 08:16 PM

UT 45
OU 35

To this noob with all of two posts, if you want to go to your game with a sign showing the score of a game played in October, go ahead. If you think coming here now and talking ****e about it is not going to get you banned, think again.

Concerning the National Championship Game, it seems the ONLY thing horn fans (a fan base I have tried mightily to respect this season and am losing THAT battle) can see is the head-to-head game 'tween OUr team and theirs. There is a word for someone who focuses on one aspect of a complex topic . . . myopia.

Horn fans, grow up lest you get permanently labeled: crybabies

Horn noob, respect the board or STFU!

PLaw
11/25/2008, 08:20 PM
Texas only lead in this game for 89 seconds!! The rest of the game Texas was a whimpering group of boys being taken to the woodshed.

Great, great observation.

The whorn and ESPiN message would have you believe that the Tech win was only by a miricle play at the end of the game (which it was). They seem to forget the other 57 min and 31 seconds of which texass had some miricle plays that kept it from being trip to the Pirate's wood shed.

BOOMER

TexasLidig8r
11/25/2008, 08:49 PM
And yet, in late 2003, after your Greatest Team in the History of God got blown out by K State in the Big XII champeenship game, Stoops was begging for voters to look at the ENTIRE body of work over the course of the season and to only focus on the last game was fallacious and was not a true test of the quality of the team.

NOW, Stoops seems to be saying, "Well, look at us now and don't consider the entire body of work."

hmmmmm

vigilantesooner
11/25/2008, 09:13 PM
And yet, in late 2003, after your Greatest Team in the History of God got blown out by K State in the Big XII champeenship game, Stoops was begging for voters to look at the ENTIRE body of work over the course of the season and to only focus on the last game was fallacious and was not a true test of the quality of the team.

NOW, Stoops seems to be saying, "Well, look at us now and don't consider the entire body of work."

hmmmmm

I invite an entire body of work comparison. After Saturday you'll have to change your argument entirely to something else that'll be equally useless to your chances of getting in the NC.

Talk all you want, the fact is Texas doesn't stand a chance if OU wins Saturday. You guys are sitting in a very bad position, and nobody has to argue OU's side because we're already right where we want to be.

GreaterState
11/25/2008, 10:00 PM

LEINART'D!!!!

http://images.dawgsports.com/images/admin/Leinart_after_Rose_Bowl.jpg

PDXsooner
11/25/2008, 11:34 PM

hmmmmm

what's your point? who said stoops was the authority on this? he's like most coaches -- lobbying for his team.

you remember when mack brown performed fellatio on everyone he could find in order to get texas in the BCS over Cal in 2004, right?

OUMallen
11/25/2008, 11:35 PM

hmmmmm

Again, let's talk body of work. Your noncon was SO BAD (can't believe I have to say it again) that you played MIZZOU and we didn't, got lucky head-to-head, and will STILL get passed by us due to the completely most objective system humans have ever come up with for this type of thing. If that ain't body of work, I don't know what is. Just like 2003 was. We raped everyone so bad that year we lost late and still made the BCS Championship.

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 12:47 AM
Your noncon was SO BAD (can't believe I have to say it again)

Have ya SEEN what people who aren't you are saying about Chattanooga?

Maybe more to the point, have you seen what people who aren't on this board (and the computer numbers) say about schedule strength -- both before and including OSU? There's not a question who played a stronger schedule anywhere but on part of this board.

ARW3
11/26/2008, 01:05 AM
So, the Citadel is a better barometer? Or WKU?

SoonerBacker
11/26/2008, 01:27 AM
Non-conference results?

Whorns defeated 3 teams that currently have losing records. The one team they defeated that currently has a winning record is at 8-3.

Oklahoma defeated 2 teams that currently have losing records. The two teams we defeated that currently have winning records are 9-2 and 10-2.
Both of those teams have more wins and fewer loses than the one team with a winning record that lost to Whorns.

Face it. This won't be determined until we see the results of this week's games. The Whorns need us to beat oSu in order to have any chance of going to the Big XII Championship.....unless Tech melts down at home against Baylor.

But if the Sooners beat oSu, we will more than likely jump the Whorns in the BCS, and they have to stay in Austin anyway. Either way, no Whorn titles this year. So just do everyone a favor and lose to the Ags on Turkey Day!

If texass football is life, then life must suck!

WA. Sooner
11/26/2008, 01:53 AM
The 3 teams against each other points
OKLAHOMA 100 Opp 66
texASS 78 OPP 74
Texas tech 60 Opp 98

WA. Sooner
11/26/2008, 01:55 AM
That means OU avg 50-33
Texas avg 39-37
Tech avg 30-49

This is how the tie breaker should be

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 02:05 AM
Non-conference results?

Whorns defeated 3 teams that currently have losing records. The one team they defeated that currently has a winning record is at 8-3.

Oklahoma defeated 2 teams that currently have losing records. The two teams we defeated that currently have winning records are 9-2 and 10-2.
Both of those teams have more wins and fewer loses than the one team with a winning record that lost to Whorns.

Please send your platinum logic to the actual computer polls, all of which have Texas' schedule ranked tougher than OU's by a range of anywhere from 5 to 29 places. (Colley and Massey both rank Texas' SOS at No. 1 and Anderson has Texas SOS at No. 2. Massey's the closest, with Texas at 1 and OU at 6.)

But continue making your case however you do it; I'm sure their numbers will have no bearing on the BCS. :rolleyes:

MiccoMacey
11/26/2008, 02:27 AM
Which is a tougher schedule?

Team A plays:

#1 team in the nation
#2 team in the nation
#117 team in the nation
#118 team in the nation

Team B plays:
#58 team in the nation
#59 team in the nation
#60 team in the nation
#61 team in the nation

They both played the same percentage, but clearly most people would say Team A had a tougher schedule because they played the #1 and #2 teams.

We clearly played the two worst teams. But we also clearly played the two best teams.

Computers can't judge talent like humans can. This is where they flaw. They see specific numbers. There are way more elements they can't see that humans can.

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 02:37 AM

Team A plays:

#1 team in the nation
#2 team in the nation
#117 team in the nation
#118 team in the nation

Team B plays:
#58 team in the nation
#59 team in the nation
#60 team in the nation
#61 team in the nation

They both played the same percentage, but clearly most people would say Team A had a tougher schedule because they played the #1 and #2 teams.

We clearly played the two worst teams. But we also clearly played the two best teams.

Computers can't judge talent like humans can. This is where they flaw. They see specific numbers. There are way more elements they can't see that humans can.

If it was about adding places and dividing by four we wouldn't need computers (well, non-OU fans wouldn't). They take opponents of opponents and suchlike into account. Next argument for OU, please; this one sucks.

MiccoMacey
11/26/2008, 02:52 AM
At the end of the day next week, if all top four teams win out, computers may see Texas ahead of OU, but all the human polls will have OU as the second or third best team in the country and Texas as the #4 team. Your arguing the humans are wrong and championing the computers.

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 02:59 AM
At the end of the day next week, if all top four teams win out, computers may see Texas ahead of OU, but all the human polls will have OU as the second or third best team in the country and Texas as the #4 team. Your arguing the humans are wrong and championing the computers.

Good luck with that.

No, if those teams win this weekend and Texas is ahead in the BCS I'll be arguing HAVE FUN ON YOUR COUCHES DEC. 6 SOONER PLAYERS HOPE YA HAVE HIGH-DEF YEEAAAARRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!!

:texan:

MiccoMacey
11/26/2008, 03:03 AM
You may actually be right...only time will tell.

Either way, one team is getting screwed (or will see it that way). Either team would be a good representative of the South division.

soonermeteor
11/26/2008, 03:55 AM

Team A plays:

#1 team in the nation
#2 team in the nation
#117 team in the nation
#118 team in the nation

Team B plays:
#58 team in the nation
#59 team in the nation
#60 team in the nation
#61 team in the nation

Bingo. Whorns would be better off staying away from the non-conference argument because we have a slam dunk case. Cincinnati + TCU >>> 1000 UTEPs

Here's an amusing senario: What if Kansas pulls off an upset in the border war? TCU and Cincinnati would more than likely both pass Mizzou in the rankings. :texan:

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 04:47 AM
Bingo. Whorns would be better off staying away from the non-conference argument because we have a slam dunk case. Cincinnati + TCU >>> 1000 UTEPs

LOL. Such a "slam dunk" that every measure of SOS has Texas' sked anywhere from "tougher" to "much, much tougher" than OU's.

Don't let things like unanimous opinion sway you and the Kool-Aid brigade, though. That'll come in handy if another team gets handed the crystal football; you can declare "champions" anyway and overwhelm them with your lawjik.

OUDoc
11/26/2008, 08:48 AM
Please send your platinum logic to the actual computer polls, all of which have Texas' schedule ranked tougher than OU's by a range of anywhere from 5 to 29 places.

You have yet to play A&M. You don't think playing them will drop your SOS like a rock?
Meanwhile, we play a ranked team, our SOS will rise.
You new to college football or something?

TexasLidig8r
11/26/2008, 09:44 AM
So, I've got a Ferrari Carano Pinot noir ready for the turkey on Thursday.. we're eating early to make the drive to Austin that afternoon.

Made a cranberry sauce with brown sugar, ginger, orange peel, orange juice and Grand Marnier thats in the fridge right now. It's the bomb.

Probably Matt's before the game.

Lots of Rock Star or Red Bull for the drive home after the game.

I've got tired head from these pointless, circular arguments.

My Opinion Matters
11/26/2008, 11:07 AM
So, I've got a Ferrari Carano Pinot noir ready for the turkey on Thursday..

You're getting the turkey drunk?

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 11:09 AM

Where is this evening headed? I think that turkey's going to get wasted then basted.

TexasLidig8r
11/26/2008, 11:13 AM

it needs to be with what I have planned to stuff its cavity!!!

Knippz
11/26/2008, 11:15 AM
If it was about adding places and dividing by four we wouldn't need computers (well, non-OU fans wouldn't). They take opponents of opponents and suchlike into account. Next argument for OU, please; this one sucks.

Here's an argument - we win, we're in. Doesn't seem to be the case for you.

Case closed.

Knippz
11/26/2008, 11:17 AM

Never knew you had to be drunk to take stuffing in your (tex)a5s.

stoopified
11/26/2008, 11:22 AM
Lid is alittle testy BECAUSE he knows UT is in a lose-lose situation.If OU wins,UT watches OU whip Missou(again) and go play for the NC.If OU loses, UT still loses because TT goes to the CCG and whips on Missou(again).UT has only one prayer-Baylor.

SoonerBacker
11/26/2008, 11:54 AM

:eek: Only in texASS!

OUDoc
11/26/2008, 12:01 PM
Don't let your girlfriend catch you.

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 12:58 PM
Lid is alittle testy BECAUSE he knows UT is in a lose-lose situation.If OU wins,UT watches OU whip Missou(again) and go play for the NC.If OU loses, UT still loses because TT goes to the CCG and whips on Missou(again).UT has only one prayer-Baylor.

Agreed. Lid and the rest of the Whorns are ticked because when they lose to OU, even if we drop a couple of games like last year, they can't make it to the Big 12 championship. Two years ago, they won the RRS and we still wound up in the Big 12 championship. And this time, even if they did beat us, they can't make it to the Big 12 championship. That has got to be frustrating.

1890MilesToNorman
11/26/2008, 01:04 PM
And this time, even if they did beat us, they can't make it to the Big 12 championship. That has got to be castrating.

Fixed

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 01:21 PM
Agreed. Lid and the rest of the Whorns are ticked because when they lose to OU, even if we drop a couple of games like last year, they can't make it to the Big 12 championship. Two years ago, they won the RRS and we still wound up in the Big 12 championship. And this time, even if they did beat us, they can't make it to the Big 12 championship. That has got to be frustrating.

Maybe they're suffering from the OSU mentality, it's a one game season for them, and they happen to have the talent to make the rest of the season fairly successful. OU's busy putting together full seasons, they're busy worrying about OU and just using the other games as practice. Funny how in the years they beat OU they tend to screw themselves in their remaining games. Probably because they've already accomplished all they care about accomplishing.

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 01:25 PM
Stoops had a great comment about this whole mess in the media conference yesterday:

Media: If you’re a Texas fan, should you hope for a three way tie, or should you hope for a(n OU) win and get beat by Missouri?

Stoops: I’m not a Texas fan, so I’m not getting into that.

MamaMia
11/26/2008, 01:39 PM
Whoa hoss.

YOU LOST A CONFERENCE GAME TOO.

Oh.. and.. Chattanuggies and a winless Washington team ?????

You beat us over 6 weeks ago by a lousy 10 points after Ryan Reynolds went down. Big woo. We have recovered from that and in a great way. We've been playing our second stringers at the end of every game since. Then you recently lose to Tech who we recently annihilated. Our QB is better than your's.

I shan't fail to mention, our stadium is better than yours, and not named after a Texas football player/alumni; Thank you God. Our fans are classier. Our coaches are more talented and much better looking, as are our fans. We're sexier. We do the Jump Jump very well. We travel better. Our colors are way better than yours. We are the best all around team to represent the Big XII South in the conference championship game. You would just lose. Is that what you want; to further embarrass the south? The moment we beat the directionally challenged orange ag's, Hornworld must graciously step aside and let the great one pass. Its meant to be. :)

Cam
11/26/2008, 02:19 PM
Agreed.

You lost to us.

Stop bitching.

And you lost to Tech, so quit yer bitchin.

How fuggin hard is it to understand that when it's a 3 way tie with each being 1-1 against each other that head to head goes out the window?

IF we take care of the pokes in stillwater, OU will jump UT no matter what the score. The kicker will be the computers. Since margin of victory doesn't matter any longer, UT couldn't score enough on aTm to make up the difference for their ranking versus the pokes ranking.

TexasLidig8r
11/26/2008, 02:46 PM
IF we take care of the pokes in stillwater, OU will jump UT no matter what the score. The kicker will be the computers. Since margin of victory doesn't matter any longer, UT couldn't score enough on aTm to make up the difference for their ranking versus the pokes ranking.

And that logic came about after carefully studying all computer scenarios, looking back at the manner in which the computers adjusted their scores based on all factors, throwing out the high and low score for each relevant program, in evaluating the manner in which votes in the Harris and Coaches polls differ from week to week after the "emotionalism" after a big win or big loss has faded?

OUDoc
11/26/2008, 02:50 PM
And that logic came about after carefully studying all computer scenarios, looking back at the manner in which the computers adjusted their scores based on all factors, throwing out the high and low score for each relevant program, in evaluating the manner in which votes in the Harris and Coaches polls differ from week to week after the "emotionalism" after a big win or big loss has faded?

Now you're getting it. I knew you'd come around.

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 03:04 PM

The emotion will be renewed with a win at OSU, and the bigger the win the greater the emotion. The question isn't whether an OU win jumps OU over UT, it's how far.

Will you be here on Sunday to apologize to everybody and bow down to their all consuming football smarts? The more you hang onto this the worse you look on Sunday. Every single BCS expert on earth disagrees with you. An OU win is UT death.

Cam
11/26/2008, 03:24 PM

Actually it has to do with aTm being ranked above 70 and the pokes being below 15. It's really a quite simple concept.

And, that's according to Jeff Sagerin or what ever his name is. Seeing as how he runs one of the computers in question, I'll take his expert opinion over yours.

TexasLidig8r
11/26/2008, 03:48 PM
The emotion will be renewed with a win at OSU, and the bigger the win the greater the emotion. The question isn't whether an OU win jumps OU over UT, it's how far.

Will you be here on Sunday to apologize to everybody and bow down to their all consuming football smarts? The more you hang onto this the worse you look on Sunday. Every single BCS expert on earth disagrees with you. An OU win is UT death.

I was here long before you and will probably be here long after you Skippy.

And... you don't really know what my views are since I have not opined who will or will not be ranked ahead of whom come Sunday night. I have certainly expressed my views on whom I believe should be rated ahead of the other.

As for "BCS experts"... care to set forth every single BCS expert and what makes them an expert?

Do these guys qualify?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8840096/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/11/25/power.rankings1/index.html?eref=sircrc

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=notebook/onthemark1124

IN short, it is what it is. If the BCS system favors OU, I certainly won't like it, but won't sit around whining and bitching and complaining like most on this website. Our university president won't write a letter and otherwise show his ***.

Magnanimous in victory, gracious in defeat.

Try it some time sport.

OUDoc
11/26/2008, 03:52 PM
Our university president won't write a letter and otherwise show his ***.

Try it some time sport.

Riiiight. But your coach will (and has).

"Magnanimous" my ***.

Cam
11/26/2008, 03:59 PM
Our university president won't write a letter and otherwise show his ***.

Try it some time sport.

You mean like you SID department was starting at half time of last Saturdays game when they started texting the media? :rolleyes:

IMO, if Texas gets in over OU, we've got nothing to bitch about. As you said, the system is what it is.

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 04:17 PM
I was here long before you and will probably be here long after you Skippy.

And... you don't really know what my views are since I have not opined who will or will not be ranked ahead of whom come Sunday night. I have certainly expressed my views on whom I believe should be rated ahead of the other.

As for "BCS experts"... care to set forth every single BCS expert and what makes them an expert?

Do these guys qualify?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8840096/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/11/25/power.rankings1/index.html?eref=sircrc

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=notebook/onthemark1124

IN short, it is what it is. If the BCS system favors OU, I certainly won't like it, but won't sit around whining and bitching and complaining like most on this website. Our university president won't write a letter and otherwise show his ***.

Try it some time sport.

What was the point of those links? I said BCS experts agree that OU will be ranked ahead of Texas if they win. I didn't say they agree OU should be ranked ahead. Your links are just a few people saying where they should be ranked, it has nothing to do with where they will be ranked, which was my point in the first place. It's a given there's a ton of disagreement among experts about where they should be ranked, I don't need to be given links to know that.

I'm not concerned with how long you've been here, or will be here. Your team will still be second in importance to OU far longer then you'll be a member of this forum. Historically, and into the future, most specifically the near future.

As far as me knowing what your views are, it's kind of strange for you to give reasons for why Texas will be ahead of OU after this week (emotional voters?), but personally believe something different. Are you lying? Do you not really believe this? Unless you're lying, I do know what your views are.

As far as whining and complaining about the BCS, if the highly unlikely should happen and OU is ranked third after a Stillwater win, I won't whine either (much). All 3 south teams lost control of their destinies when they lost to each other. I will however be more vocal about a playoff system, which I believe should exist regardless of the outcome this week.

You might want to try your "magnanimous/gracious" suggestion sometime instead of prattling on and on about why your team, which is in a three way tie, is better because of a game that occurred over a month ago. Try being magnanimous about your victory in October, and gracious about your defeat on Sunday.

TexasLidig8r
11/26/2008, 04:32 PM
You might want to try your "magnanimous/gracious" suggestion sometime instead of prattling on and on about why your team, which is in a three way tie, is better because of a game that occurred over a month ago. Try being magnanimous about your victory in October, and gracious about your defeat on Sunday.

Try reading my thread after the game this year.

Or the game last year.

Or the game the year before that.

Instead of just looking up what magnanimous and graciousness mean, you have a chance to see it applied.

Even though, those words are probably so foreign to you you will never hope to grasp their significance, let alone their application. More's the pity.

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 04:45 PM
Try reading my thread after the game this year.

Or the game last year.

Instead of just looking up what magnanimous and graciousness mean, you have a chance to see it applied.

Even though, those words are probably so foreign to you you will never hope to grasp their significance, let alone their application. More's the pity.

Your comment was on my attitude right now (I guess), mine is on your attitude right now.

In the end, all of this wrangling is really meaningless. OU is the team most in control of its own destiny. And we're fortunate for that in part. Had Tech been scheduled earlier in the year with the same results, we wouldn't be in this situation. If we were playing AtM and you were playing OSU this weekend, you'd probably be the team most likely to play in the big game.

But that's not how it shook out, and no amount of arguing head-to-head vs. body-of-work vs. who's-hot-now vs. who's-just-plain-better is going to change the likelihood that our fates will be decided by the outcome in Stillwater.

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 06:04 PM
You have yet to play A&M. You don't think playing them will drop your SOS like a rock?
Meanwhile, we play a ranked team, our SOS will rise.
You new to college football or something?

Do you just read the last post in every thread? I already said that projections have Texas' SOS well ahead of OU's even including the OSU game. (One consensus projection has Texas dropping to No. 2 SOS behind Florida -- because they get to play the No. 1 team yet). Try going out and reading about the computers, which are projectable, instead of the "BCS experts" from one SF.com thread over.

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 06:16 PM
Every single BCS expert on earth disagrees with you. An OU win is UT death.

"BCS experts" are looking at the computer polls (projectable), guessing about the human polls and saying that OU might move ahead of UT with a win. The people you are thinking of are "beat writers" or "Soonerfans posters." These are different things from "BCS experts."

But keep telling yourself it's a done deal; if the fates decide against OU that just makes for a bigger meltdown here.

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 06:22 PM
"BCS experts" are looking at the computer polls (projectable), guessing about the human polls and saying that OU might move ahead of UT with a win. The people you are thinking of are "beat writers" or "Soonerfans posters." These are different things from "BCS experts."

But keep telling yourself it's a done deal; if the fates decide against OU that just makes for a bigger meltdown here.

Let me ask you....

If Tx beats AtM, and OU beats OSU, what in that scenario provides you with any justifiable reason to believe the human polls will change in Texas's favor? Idiots doing flyovers and holding newspapers? That's the most important question because the computers WILL correct themselves.

The computers will still have Texas ahead of OU, but OU only has to make enough of a gain in the computers to erase a .008 deficit. OU will add a quality win, a road win, and bolster their strength of schedule all in one shot with a victory this Saturday. So, OU will definitely make gains in the computers. Texas will take a hit on their strength of schedule, which will hurt them in the computers. The two teams won't flip flop, but OU will definitely gain the ground needed to overcome a .008 deficit.

So your only chance comes with the human polls. And with a marquee matchup on prime time TV, do you really think that's going to happen?

Seriously. And yes, BCS experts, like Brad Edwards, not just fanboys. You'd have to be totally deluded or completely ignorant of the system to believe that Texas is likely to hold their position on Sunday after an OU win on Saturday.

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 06:43 PM
The two teams won't flip flop, but OU will definitely gain the ground needed to overcome a .008 deficit.

"Definitely." That's the part that gets me. The difference between us is that I think OU might pass Texas with a win, and you are certain of it, based on your no math and your zero projections. You quote a number of .008 but when it comes to showing how OU is a lock, you ... just know that they will make up .008.

OU-OSU is the most important factor but things like the Colorado-Nebraska game are gonna be more important than anyone's acknowledging.

So your only chance ... You'd have to be totally deluded or completely ignorant of the system ...

You're wrong, but that's just because you're coming at it from the wrong angle. OU could very easily pass Texas with a win, but you'd have to be totally deluded or ignorant of the system (saying things like you can easily make up .008, while skipping over the numbers needed to get you there) to say it's a lock.

Vaevictis
11/26/2008, 06:49 PM
LOL. Such a "slam dunk" that every measure of SOS has Texas' sked anywhere from "tougher" to "much, much tougher" than OU's.

Don't let things like unanimous opinion sway you and the Kool-Aid brigade, though. That'll come in handy if another team gets handed the crystal football; you can declare "champions" anyway and overwhelm them with your lawjik.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Soonermeteor is saying that OU's non-conference schedule is hands down better. You're saying that Texas' SOS is better. That's two wholly different items being compared.

Here, let me make it simple for you. I'll spot you Texas' season-long SOS is stronger. You don't even have to argue.

That leaves us with Soonermeteor's non-conference SOS. Comparison:

Texas:
Florida Atlantic (5-6, 4th Sunbelt)
at UTEP (5-6, 4th Conference USA)
Arkansas (4-7, last place SEC)
Rice (8-3, 1st Place Conference USA 3-way tie.)

OU:
Chattanooga (1-11, Last Southern)
(16) Cincinnati (9-2, 1st Big East)
at Washington (0-11, Last Pac10)
(24) TCU (10-2, 2nd Mountain West)

We've got two top 25 teams. You guys have Rice of all teams.

Your worst teams are better than our worst teams on paper, but not necessarily in reality. Chattanooga is clearly the worst team of the lot, I'll spot you. But dig deeper into Washington. Look at who they played this year (whole of Pac10, Oklahoma, Brigham Young (10-2), Notre Dame), and tell me you think Florida Atlantic or UTEP would do better.

Now, you're free to disagree, but I'll put more weight on two wins against top 25 teams (one of whom is 1st in an actual BCS conference) than wins against 3 teams slightly sub-.500 records and Rice.

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 06:52 PM
If Tx beats AtM, and OU beats OSU, what in that scenario provides you with any justifiable reason to believe the human polls will change in Texas's favor? Idiots doing flyovers and holding newspapers? That's the most important question because the computers WILL correct themselves.

I don't mean to skip over this important part. Let's be honest, there are two different kind of human voters. Those that still think Tech is a top-5 team are ranking the three of us based on where they sit in their minds, not head to head. Those that think Tech is out of the conversation, around 7 or lower, are ranking Texas and OU based on their head-to-head feelings. And some chunk of the overall human voters (a minority, but still a decent chunk) has Texas ranked higher even after the OU-Tech game.

A lot of them still will, if both teams win (regardless of what Florida does) and some will be making a final head-to-head comparison between these teams knowing what they're helping to settle. I wouldn't bet my life savings on Texas prevailing, but apparently you will on OU.

soonermeteor
11/26/2008, 06:52 PM

I don't care what the computers say about SOS. You know as well as everyone else that the SOS advantage Texas has right now is because they played Mizzou and Colorado (im assuming they benefit from beating WV) and we had Nebraska and Kansas State, with a hit to us for playing Chatty as well. We had no control over the in conference schedule and this debate is about the out of conference schedule. You have been completely ignoring the point that was originally made about why beating #14 and #16 along with a couple crappy teams is better than beating a few mediocre teams. We're Texas and Oklahoma. We're expected to beat unranked teams whether they're Washington or UTEP.

You're just trolling at this point. :texan:

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 07:10 PM
You're comparing apples to oranges. Soonermeteor is saying that OU's non-conference schedule is hands down better. You're saying that Texas' SOS is better. That's two wholly different items being compared.

Here, let me make it simple for you. I'll spot you Texas' season-long SOS is stronger. You don't even have to argue.

This point while technical is 100 percent unconvincing. We have five common opponents; are you seriously arguing that your noncon is tougher but those four games were trumped (by FAR) because Texas played Colorado and Missouri and you haven't?

And I point out yet again that I am talking about projected SOS, not to date.

OU:
Chattanooga (1-11, Last Southern)
(16) Cincinnati (9-2, 1st Big East)
at Washington (0-11, Last Pac10)
(24) TCU (10-2, 2nd Mountain West)

Truly sparkling. You asked about Washington and who would do better; well, Wazzu (Wazzu!?) could do better, apparently. Should have scheduled them.

You mention Arkansas being weak, but I guess being in "actual BCS conference" SEC they should be at least two worlds better than a Division II team.

And then there's "ranked" Cincy, who got throttled by UConn. You have some real brothers in arms among the people who also beat your noncon. The biggest gift to OU this season is Cincy's ranking for coming out "ahead" in the "actual BCS conference" Big East.

I'll grant you TCU was a good win, but the rest smells horrible. Yes, in comparison to playing FAU and Arkansas and (yes) Rice.

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 07:18 PM
I don't mean to skip over this important part. Let's be honest, there are two different kind of human voters. Those that still think Tech is a top-5 team are ranking the three of us based on where they sit in their minds, not head to head. Those that think Tech is out of the conversation, around 7 or lower, are ranking Texas and OU based on their head-to-head feelings. And some chunk of the overall human voters (a minority, but still a decent chunk) has Texas ranked higher even after the OU-Tech game.

A lot of them still will, if both teams win (regardless of what Florida does) and some will be making a final head-to-head comparison between these teams knowing what they're helping to settle. I wouldn't bet my life savings on Texas prevailing, but apparently you will on OU.

G-d I love the delusion from Tx, it'll make Sunday even sweeter. If Tx allowed themselves to know what we know the pain wouldn't be as severe.

Even guys on the Longhorn board, who actually know how the system works, have broken down how the computers will adjust enough for OU to overcome their BCS deficit. Looks like you don't even pay attention to your own side. I mean geez, even your average Longhorn fan knows the computers aren't going to be kind to them after Saturday, that's why you guys are trying SOOOO hard to influence voters. The voters are your only shot. But you won't get them, because a win at Stillwater will solidify our position in their mind, and likely win over new voters besides.

I mean, do you really think OU won't gain in the computers? If you DO think they will, is your issue that you don't realize how tiny 8 one/thousandths of a point is? It's a virtual BCS tie, with a game for OU against a top 12 opponent on the road.

Come on, do you really want to be looking this silly on Sunday? Hanging onto this just makes you look bad, you could at least admit that it looks very unfortunate for Texas.

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 07:33 PM
I mean, do you really think OU won't gain in the computers?

You're not a big reader, OK, so I'll simplify what I already said:
1. OU should gain in the computers with a win
2. It may not be enough, and it's far from certain.

Come on, do you really want to be looking this silly on Sunday? Hanging onto this just makes you look bad, you could at least admit that it looks very unfortunate for Texas.

I never said it doesn't look unfortunate for Texas. You said it's no question that OU passes UT. My silly-Sunday downside is limited, while yours seems 3 feet high and rising ...

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 07:51 PM
You're not a big reader, OK, so I'll simplify what I already said:
1. OU should gain in the computers with a win
2. It may not be enough, and it's far from certain.

I never said it doesn't look unfortunate for Texas. You said it's no question that OU passes UT. My silly-Sunday downside is limited, while yours seems 3 feet high and rising ...

So in your mind, .008 is a big enough lead that even winning a giant game like this Saturday's may not overturn it?

See, here's why my "silly-Sunday downside" is 3 feet high and rising - I'm going on what is probably a 90% chance of being ranked higher, and 90% is pretty good in my mind. Unless Mack decides to use his ballot for toilet paper and tank OU, it's looking pretty good. Meanwhile, you spend your time defending Texas's 10% chance rather than admitting it.

And I know you'll get your silly little Longhorn thong in a wad over my use of "90%" and "10%", so take a Xanax and two deep breaths before responding, your heart needs all of its strength for the "shocking" results you'll get on Sunday.

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 08:00 PM
And of course, we get no credit for the fact that if we hadn't beaten Tech, Texas would not have moved up to number 2 in the BCS. Don't forget, boys, you were behind Tech in the BCS standings. We actually improved your position.

Oh, and by the way, if your win over us was so convincing, you would think the point differential would be a lot more than 0.008, wouldn't you? Hmm?

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 08:06 PM
So in your mind, .008 is a big enough lead that even winning a giant game like this Saturday's may not overturn it?

Not in my mind -- in the (generally very projectable) numbers. Why are so many of you ignoring discussing that in the open, preferring to go with your gut? Is it fear?

Here's what one guy (Rich Tellshow) says about it -- there are more than him, but I'm not spending more time googling just to show n00bs they're ignoring something. But note that style points still matter for OU. And note the .002 finish -- just winning the game is probably not enough. Both Texas and OU need some more human votes.

Assuming the votes in the human polls stay about the same (OU could blow out OSU picks up even more votes and this discussion becomes moot) OU may not move up enough in the computers. Lets look at what must happen in each computer poll for UT to get to the Big12 CG.

OU's schedule strength in Anderson moved from .538 to .556 by playing Tech. A similar but smaller move is expected by playing OSU which may put it at .570. UT's SOS will go down a bit but not enough and I think UT will be 3rd and OU 4th.
Florida will probably jump UT in Billingsley but it doesn't matter as this ranking gets thrown out for UT. OU must not pass Bama in Billingsley this is going to be close a call but I think Bama will maintain a slim lead over OU.
My computer model says OU and Bama will be in a very very close battle for 3rd and 4th in Colley's Matrix. OU must not move up from 4th.
OU is #1 and UT #2 in Massey and it must stay that way. My model says UT drops slightly below Bama 2.525 to 2.523. This within my margin of error and is close enough that if a few upsets fall UT's way they can hold on to the #2 spot.
OU will move up in Sagarin and they must not move above 3rd. However, I think it is more likely for OU to be #2 than #3. So Sagarin is released early and if OU is #2 that will probably spell the end for UT's hopes.
OU will probably move up from 4th to 3rd in Wolfe.

Computer Coach's HI BCS
Rank Team W L Pts Rank Points BCS Rank Points Points Total
1 Alabama 11 0 0.95 1 1518 0.995 1 2839 0.996 0.9805
2 Texas 10 1 0.96 4 1370 0.898 4 2577 0.904 0.9209
3 Oklahoma 10 1 0.92 2 1412 0.926 3 2598 0.912 0.9192

josh09
11/26/2008, 08:14 PM
Guys.....lets just beat the Pokes and get all this crap over with. haha or have texas lose to the aggies....:rolleyes:

kevpks
11/26/2008, 08:14 PM
I like our position much better than the horns' for one reason:
1. I don't have to root for Texas (a UT loss actually helps OU). It must suck for the Horns that their only chance to win the South is for OU to win. They rooted for us last week and look where it got them.

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 08:19 PM
Wow. Talk about needing everything to fall right. Do you realize how many things have to happen for this guy's scenario to play out? Not to mention he appears sold on OU moving up in Sagarin which he's described as being practically Texas's death.

Like I said...

90%.

GreaterState
11/26/2008, 08:33 PM
Wow. Talk about needing everything to fall right. Do you realize how many things have to happen for this guy's scenario to play out? Not to mention he appears sold on OU moving up in Sagarin which he's described as being practically Texas's death.

Like I said...

90%.

He's talking about how things are likely to fall (in computers only) and OU ends up No. 3. That looks more like 50% than 90%.

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 08:40 PM
He's talking about how things are likely to fall (in computers only) and OU ends up No. 3. That looks more like 50% than 90%.

I didn't see the word likely. I saw a whole bunch of "if this happens, and that happens, and if this over here happens". I also saw a little bit of "this also has to happen but it's not likely".

You have a whole lot of dominoes that have to fall the right way. People have already plugged an OU win into the systems that allow scenario projections, and just those alone have put OU ahead. Additionally, OU will gain in every computer, there's no doubt about that. In some cases the gains won't move them up any spots, but in most they'll gain spots which is all that matters in the end.

cvsooner
11/26/2008, 08:41 PM
And...what happens if we wind up mathematically tied with Texas in the BCS numbers, and it's still a three-way tie? Coin flip. Yikes.

SoonerBacker
11/26/2008, 08:42 PM
GreaterState, Don't you have your own board to play on? Or are you the pilot who plans on flying the banner over Stoolwater this weekend?

We've read what you have to say. You've read what we have to say. Neither is obviously going to alter the reality of what's going to happen. Why not just let this week's games play out and then we'll see who was right?

Unti then, go back to Whornfans.

Hot Rod
11/26/2008, 09:31 PM
Horn fans are scared, therefore trying to persuade us that the obivous won't happen. OU fans aren't acting like crybabies on their board.

OUDoc
12/1/2008, 02:46 PM
Do you just read the last post in every thread? I already said that projections have Texas' SOS well ahead of OU's even including the OSU game. (One consensus projection has Texas dropping to No. 2 SOS behind Florida -- because they get to play the No. 1 team yet). Try going out and reading about the computers, which are projectable, instead of the "BCS experts" from one SF.com thread over.

Is this moron still here?
Who did your computer projections, a ut alum?