PDA

View Full Version : FIRE VULNERABLES!111!1!@!

C&CDean
11/24/2008, 10:14 AM
Morans. You know who you are, and so do we.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/24/2008, 10:16 AM
Still. Mike's teams were better.

Heh.

kbsooner21
11/24/2008, 10:17 AM
LMFAO!

The Maestro
11/24/2008, 10:19 AM
Hey, I said it then and I will say it now. I am GLAD our D turned it around. Just like when running Q drove me nuts in 2001 and he redeemed himself in 2002, okay by me.

Having said that, we know Tech's system really well. We gotta go do the same thing in Stillwater this weekend or it is all a moot point.

Kudos to Venables and the defense. Now rinse and repeat in Stillwater. A LOT more balanced offense at OSU.

Widescreen
11/24/2008, 10:21 AM
Our defense played great Saturday. But I said during the game "where has this been"? We haven't played that well in several years. If we play at a consistently high level, I'll get back on the Venables bandwagon.

boomermagic
11/24/2008, 10:27 AM
Our defense played great Saturday. But I said during the game "where has this been"? We haven't played that well in several years. If we play at a consistently high level, I'll get back on the Venables bandwagon.

Agreed !

I saw the best defensive performance by an OU team against a quality opponant since the 2000 NC game.. Why so long ?

C&CDean
11/24/2008, 10:32 AM
Because Vulnerables sucks and the players decided to just scrap his bull**** system and play on their own. Like pirates. DOH. Everyone knows that. Certainly.

MI Sooner
11/24/2008, 10:29 PM
So, let's see. So far, our defensive performances have pretty much held to historical form. We've given up ridiculous numbers of yards/points a couple of times against mobile QBs (Freeman, McCoy), looked really good at other times, and held TTU in check better than anyone. Call me unsurprised. The BV bashers will be here next time we give up 500+ to a mediocre team and the BV apologists will be here the next time we hold a good offense in check, each calling each other out. If BV is here another year, I bet both will happen again.

The TTU game was a great performance by the D. It was one of many under BV. We've also had numerous terrible performances. It was a big win, but only represented 1/60th or so of BV's body of work. It really didn't change my opinion of him much.

Curly Bill
11/24/2008, 10:31 PM
This didn't change my less then stellar opinion of BV. Now if he does this in the bowl game then I'll get back to ya.

oumartin
11/24/2008, 10:33 PM
I dont' think people so much want venables gone but the scheme changed up.

Trust me this defense will not have the success against OSU as it had against Tech.

85Sooner
11/24/2008, 10:42 PM
Because Vulnerables sucks and the players decided to just scrap his bull**** system and play on their own. Like pirates. DOH. Everyone knows that. Certainly.

He doesn't suck but ding ding ding ding! we have a winner

JLEW1818
11/24/2008, 10:44 PM
Our Oklahoma State and Texas offenses similar?

8timechamps
11/24/2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks Dean!

The problem with the BV haters is that once he's gone (and it may be soon), they'll wish he was here. He's one of the most vocal coach in cfb, and you need that on defense.

Nevermind that we lost a ton of talent on defense and that our defensive leader went down in Dallas. It couldn't possibly be that.

8timechamps
11/24/2008, 10:46 PM
Trust me this defense will not have the success against OSU as it had against Tech.

Curious as to why you think that...

tommieharris91
11/24/2008, 10:47 PM
Our Oklahoma State and Texas offenses similar?

Not really. They have a good running game and only one good WR.

Curly Bill
11/24/2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks Dean!

The problem with the BV haters is that once he's gone (and it may be soon), they'll wish he was here. He's one of the most vocal coach in cfb, and you need that on defense.

Nevermind that we lost a ton of talent on defense and that our defensive leader went down in Dallas. It couldn't possibly be that.

Like to wager on this? :D

...and for the record: I don't consider myself a hater, I think he's a fair to good DC, I just don't think he's ever measured up to what we've needed these past few years since he's taken over the D.

8timechamps
11/24/2008, 10:53 PM
Like to wager on this? :D

...and for the record: I don't consider myself a hater, I think he's a fair to good DC, I just don't think he's ever measured up to what we've needed these past few years since he's taken over the D.

I think he'll be gone as a head coach somewhere.

What has he done over the past few years that keep him from measuring up in your eyes? Honest question.

oumartin
11/24/2008, 10:57 PM
What has he done over the past few years that keep him from measuring up in your eyes? Honest question.

How about not having a backup Middle linebacker ready to play in case RR went down. Its not like RR hasn't been injury prone thoughout his career or anything.

Curly Bill
11/24/2008, 10:59 PM
I think he'll be gone as a head coach somewhere.

Boise State, WVU, 1st half of the TT game last year, Saxet game this year...

I see to many scheme problems that we don't seem to correct, such as:

* 3rd and 5 and our corners are 10 yards off ???
* Our blitz packages have been woefully simplistic and useless
* Would we have covered Shipley over the middle in the saxet game ever?

Really for me the biggest thing is the last two bowl games where our defense looked like, and I suspect didn't, have a clue.

Curly Bill
11/24/2008, 11:00 PM
How about not having a backup Middle linebacker ready to play in case RR went down. Its not like RR hasn't been injury prone thoughout his career or anything.

Yep

8timechamps
11/24/2008, 11:01 PM

So we know that for a fact? If, in fact BV (knowing that his defensive leader and starting MLB was playing on a gimpy knee) didn't have some idea that he may need to have a backup ready 5 games into the season, it would be a bigtime mistake and probably a terminating worthy offense.

It's hard for me to beleive Stoops wouldn't have had that discussion with him.

the_ouskull
11/24/2008, 11:01 PM

That's what I got on this thread to say... only I was going to add, "We played really well against an offense that we have always played well against, since Leach left Oklahoma; no matter who the defensive coordinator." He's one of four. He's got three games left to convince me.

the_ouskull

8timechamps
11/24/2008, 11:02 PM
Boise State, WVU, 1st half of the TT game last year, Saxet game this year...

I see to many scheme problems that we don't seem to correct, such as:

* 3rd and 5 and our corners are 10 yards off ???
* Our blitz packages have been woefully simplistic and useless
* Would we have covered Shipley over the middle in the saxet game ever?

Really for me the biggest thing is the last two bowl games where our defense looked like, and I suspect didn't, have a clue.

And Stoops doesn't get any of the blame for that?

Curly Bill
11/24/2008, 11:03 PM
That's what I got on this thread to say... only I was going to add, "We played really well against an offense that we have always played well against, since Leach left Oklahoma; no matter who the defensive coordinator." He's one of four. He's got three games left to convince me.

the_ouskull

Yup, I want to see him do it against an opponent we're unfamiliar with, like say a bowl opponent.

...though I would argue our D wasn't too great against TT in the first half of last years game.

Curly Bill
11/24/2008, 11:04 PM
And Stoops doesn't get any of the blame for that?

Well...he hired BV and has kept him around, give him as much of the blame as you will.

...and if you're saying it's Bob's scheme and BV is only running it, then I'd say that's a fair point.

oumartin
11/24/2008, 11:05 PM
I believe Bob put his faith in Brent to run the defense. I'm not sure if Austin Box was hurt or something during camp or what but look at his progress from texas up till now. He has improved so dramatically its crazy.

This has been a gripe of mine for years about this staff. You are up 4 touchdowns get some people some game time. Box needed gametime. He needed to see the stuff on the field. Same with halzle. Hell I can hand the ball off in the 4th quarter.

Backups need to see some action. texas could have been very different had box seen some significant action up to that game.. you never know

oumartin
11/24/2008, 11:07 PM
and yes Bob gets some blame for this scheme. this is his defensive scheme and he brings in coaches to run it.

Not checking receivers at the line of scrimage against a patient team like Texas was suicide.

the_ouskull
11/24/2008, 11:07 PM
Yup, I want to see him do it against an opponent we're unfamiliar with, like say a bowl opponent.

...though I would argue our D wasn't too great against TT in the first half of last years game.

I'd counter with, "Our offense wasn't exactly giving them a helping f*cking hand..." :D

...or something similar. I don't mean to swear, it's just that, I don't know that I'm not allowed to.

Sincerely,

http://www.getrealdenver.com/wp-content/photos/daniel_tosh.jpg

the_ouskull

8timechamps
11/24/2008, 11:09 PM
Well...he hired BV and has kept him around, give him as much of the blame as you will.

I respect your opinion (even if it's wrong :D ), but for me, I'm okay with BV and this defense. As I mentioned in an earlier thread about BV, things aren't the same in the Big XII now, at least not offenses. If, on the other hand, in a year or two, we are still middle-of-the pack nationally (and the rest of the conference has moved past us), then I'll be on board....right now, I'm okay with it.

Do I want us to play like we did Saturday every game, hell yeah. But, even at that, we gave up over 400 yards of offense And that was considered a great night on the defensive side of the ball. This "ain't" you're grandaddy's brand of football.

Curly Bill
11/24/2008, 11:11 PM
I respect your opinion (even if it's wrong :D ), but for me, I'm okay with BV and this defense. As I mentioned in an earlier thread about BV, things aren't the same in the Big XII now, at least not offenses. If, on the other hand, in a year or two, we are still middle-of-the pack nationally (and the rest of the conference has moved past us), then I'll be on board....right now, I'm okay with it.

Do I want us to play like we did Saturday every game, hell yeah. But, even at that, we gave up over 400 yards of offense And that was considered a great night on the defensive side of the ball. This "ain't" you're grandaddy's brand of football.

I know the Big 12 is awesome offensively this year. I'd counter by saying neither Boise State nor WVU were members of the Big 12. ;)

8timechamps
11/24/2008, 11:13 PM
I know the Big 12 is awesome offensively this year. I'd counter by saying neither Boise State nor WVU were members of the Big 12. ;)

And that would leave me no choice but to say your a poo poo head.

Curly Bill
11/24/2008, 11:14 PM
And that would leave me no choice but to say your a poo poo head.

Yeah well, you're mom likes me better then you. :P

Johnny Utah
11/24/2008, 11:14 PM
As I mentioned in an earlier thread about BV, things aren't the same in the Big XII now, at least not offenses.

I think some (if not more) of us want to see him do it against an opponent we're unfamiliar with, like say a bowl opponent. OU has proven itself in the Big XII but still needs work in the post season.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/24/2008, 11:18 PM
I'd counter with, "Our offense wasn't exactly giving them a helping f*cking hand..." :D

...or something similar. I don't mean to swear, it's just that, I don't know that I'm not allowed to.

Sincerely,

http://www.getrealdenver.com/wp-content/photos/daniel_tosh.jpg

the_ouskull

Who the f--- is Daniel Tosh?

oumartin
11/24/2008, 11:20 PM
Daniel Tosh points with 4 fingers.. Some of his stuff is freakin' hilarious

cheezyq
11/24/2008, 11:49 PM
One game does not a reputation make. I've been proud of the D for pretty much most of the year. But let's be honest here. Our offense has put games out of reach before the other team has a chance to take their first breath.

I'm with CB here in that I've never said get rid of him, just give him some help where he has obvious weaknesses....overall defensive game-planning. He'll probably make a fine head coach, as long as he has a good staff.

Oh....and what's a moran?

the_ouskull
11/25/2008, 08:20 AM
Who the f--- is Daniel Tosh?

YouTube, sir. YouTube. Thank me later.

the_ouskull

ashley
11/25/2008, 09:11 AM
It is apparent Curly Bill would rather see us lose and be proven right than have us win and be wrong.

OUmillenium
11/25/2008, 10:10 AM
My hat is off to Bob for taking over the defense the past 2 weeks. He did a great job gameplanning and preparing the team. Big Game Bob may be on his way back. It was also generous of him to throw a few bones to Venables in letting him call plays on 3 drives Sat night...remember the 3 where we sat in the cover 2 and allowed Tech to march straight down the field? Yep, I knew you would.

8timechamps
11/25/2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah well, you're mom likes me better then you. :P

That's no accomplishment...she likes everyone better than me. :O

SoonerStormchaser
11/25/2008, 10:37 AM
Ok...so he's bringing me back into the fold...but I'll withhold final judgment til AFTER this weekend...and possibly the following weekend.

Curly Bill
11/25/2008, 11:01 PM
It is apparent Curly Bill would rather see us lose and be proven right than have us win and be wrong.

Yeah, that's so obvious. :rolleyes:

madillsoonerfan5353
11/25/2008, 11:14 PM
So we know that for a fact? If, in fact BV (knowing that his defensive leader and starting MLB was playing on a gimpy knee) didn't have some idea that he may need to have a backup ready 5 games into the season, it would be a bigtime mistake and probably a terminating worthy offense.

It's hard for me to beleive Stoops wouldn't have had that discussion with him.

So your saying that Crow looked like he was ready for game time when he came in against Texas??? :confused: You could put blame on the whole coaching staff, for not letting backups play the same system as the starters!!! ( Halzle come in and hand the ball off for 5 min.) :gary:

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2008, 11:17 PM

Wow...I think I know CB enough to know thats about as wrong as it can be

Curly Bill
11/25/2008, 11:18 PM
Wow...I think I know CB enough to know thats about as wrong as it can be

Right on brother man, right on. :)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2008, 11:24 PM
Life on the message boards....I don't necessarily completely agree with your stance, but at least you have the balls to be consistent....can't say the same for most of the other people who have been agreeing with you over the last several weeks

Curly Bill
11/25/2008, 11:31 PM
Life on the message boards....I don't necessarily completely agree with your stance, but at least you have the balls to be consistent....can't say the same for most of the other people who have been agreeing with you over the last several weeks

I can totally accept someone believing differently about BV's usefullness as OU's DC then I do. What is annoying to me are those that strap down their crimson shades real tight, drink down the Kool-aid, and say crap like so-and-so must want us to lose, or so-and-so isn't a real fan beacause they don't support our coaches, blah, blah, blah.

...of course the peeps that usually say this are those that have little clue to start with. :D

Curly Bill
11/25/2008, 11:33 PM
...and for the record: I think BV is a good DC, I do not think he's "OU good" as a DC.

...but if we win it all this year I'll take it all back. :D

wileyousooner
11/26/2008, 01:45 AM
Come on, we are 56th in total defense. That is awful for a national championship caliber team. Bob is the defensive genius, so why hasn't he given Venables a little "friendly" advice this year? Maybe when Venables leaves he will take the special teams coordinator with him, or reassign that position to someone else. That is scary. Especially if we get into the title game with a team like Florida. You know they will find a way to exploit that weakness.

OU_Sooners75
11/26/2008, 03:23 AM

Dean, don't get all butthurt because a few people, including myself has questioned Brent Venables' ability.

The reason I question his ability....
1. Every year since he has taken over sole DC responsibilities our defense has given up more point and yards.
2. He has quite a bit of talent at his disposal, yet it seems like we are a slow and unprepared defense when it comes to BCS Bowls.
3. Because 2008's defense is on track to be the worst in the Bob Stoops era.

If memory serves correctly, I have never called for his head outright. I have said that I would like to see some changes in the defense scheme...such as if it is too complex for our players, then he needs to play more basic defensive schemes (which he did against Tech). I have gone as far as saying if he cannot do this, then one possible solution is that Bob Stoops stop being so loyal and put him on the hot seat.

Crucifax Autumn
11/26/2008, 03:30 AM
head outright

I'm all for it!

DangTire
11/26/2008, 05:34 PM

Sometimes people remind me of Corky. Like when they take one game that was probably more on Bob than Simple Brent and point to that as being a case of competency when the last 4+ years has stated otherwise. Perhaps you should rethink calling anyone a "moran" when your mediocre mind is incapable of comprehending such a "long" span of time in context.

StoopTroup
11/26/2008, 05:38 PM
Sometimes people remind me of Corky. Like when they take one game that was probably more on Bob than Simple Brent and point to that as being a case of competency when the last 4+ years has stated otherwise. Perhaps you should rethink calling anyone a "moran" when your mediocre mind is incapable of comprehending such a "long" span of time in context.

You were the BIGGEST MORAN OF THE BUNCH!

Crawl back Home...your rock misses you.

MamaMia
11/26/2008, 07:20 PM
My stars! Theres no need for any name calling. :eek:

Count me in as one who wanted to see a change; either an improved defense or a coach with some new schemes. Color me satisfied. We will never know whether or not folks calling for Venables job had anything to do with the positive turn around we've been seeing in the defense lately, and especially this Saturday night.

~Hugs to Coach Venables~ Now, if he could only learn how to dance. ;)