PDA

View Full Version : **Split National Championship**

Lott's Bandana
11/24/2008, 09:31 AM
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

If the Sooners win out and end up playing in the BCS Title Game and beat the rep from the SEC in a close game, AND

The Whorns win out and manhandle their BCS Bowl opponent (SEC #2 / SUC?)...

BCS #1 = OU
BCS #2 = Whorns

AP #1 = Whorns
AP #2 = OU

I think there is a chance of the writers making a statement here and putting the Whorns ahead of us.

(currently the AP has OU slightly ahead of Texas)

Before you claim the AP MNC isn't important, don't forget there are teams that claim MNCs from the AP poll only...SUC ('03), OU (1974)

ocsooner
11/24/2008, 09:33 AM
And Alabama just about every year.

That's beside the point. This is really out there.

SteelClip49
11/24/2008, 09:34 AM
AP holds the same amount of weight as the Crystal. Just as long as OU wins one of them then it's all good.

BermudaSooner
11/24/2008, 09:36 AM
Hadn't thought about it, but could happen.

auto
11/24/2008, 09:37 AM
AP holds the same amount of weight as the Crystal. Just as long as OU wins one of them then it's all good.

Not anymore. The team hoisting the Crystal is the MNC, period.

Lott's Bandana
11/24/2008, 09:40 AM
And Alabama just about every year.

That's beside the point. This is really out there.

As "out there" as us winning the MNC ahead of the only team that beat us who only has one loss?

The entire scenario is "out there".

I can't help but think about what it would be like if we were in the Whorn's situation right now...it would be nuclear yield. (and rightly so) :D

Lott's Bandana
11/24/2008, 09:44 AM
Not anymore. The team hoisting the Crystal is the MNC, period.

Auto:

Respectfully disagree.

Your comment is an oxymoron. Remember what the "M" stands for...?

Do you really not recognize SoCal's claim, having one loss AND finishing #1 in the AP? Most sports media validate their split MNC.

Edited: thanks, Yermom for the correction.

yermom
11/24/2008, 09:58 AM
SoCal wasn't undefeated, but yeah, all media pretty much validates their AP title, they gave it to them :D

i think it's pretty lame to gripe about it, personally

it's not like we have a dog in that fight anyway, other than the '74 title...

but anyway, i don't see Texas jumping us in the AP if we win out, it usually just doesn't work that way

now i could see us getting left out of the Big 12 Championship and Texas losing somewhere along with Florida and Alabama losing before the BCS title game and us getting the AP title

soonervegas
11/24/2008, 10:24 AM
I think if OU wins the BCS Championship game it will be very close in the AP if Texas wins out also....it wouldn't suprise me and it really wouldn't be that big of deal to me for some reason.

It would just make the 2009 RRR game that much more kick ***.

humblesooner
11/24/2008, 10:24 AM
The '74 team is not a factor in this discussion. In '74, the only championships were the AP and the UPI. There were lots of split titles back then.

When the BCS was formed, all schools in all conferences and all independents agreed to the set of rules lined out to match up the #1 and #2 team in the country for the BCS Championship.

As Bob Stoops has said plenty of times "We knew the rules before the season began".

For any one to get to the end of the season and decide they don't like the rules that everyone started the season with *cough* "you suc" *cough* and decide that they will claim their own championship, well they are just a Whiney Pete.

If "you suc" or any other school does not want to participate in the BCS, then they need to make that very clear to the BCS and the rest of the BCS participants, PRIOR TO PLAYING THEIR FIRST GAME OF THE YEAR. Also, once you are out, you are always out.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/24/2008, 10:41 AM
I think I like having the AP around, to provide the alternative for a poorly or controversially chosen BCS champ.

Lott's Bandana
11/24/2008, 04:47 PM
The '74 team is not a factor in this discussion. In '74, the only championships were the AP and the UPI. There were lots of split titles back then.

When the BCS was formed, all schools in all conferences and all independents agreed to the set of rules lined out to match up the #1 and #2 team in the country for the BCS Championship.

As Bob Stoops has said plenty of times "We knew the rules before the season began".

For any one to get to the end of the season and decide they don't like the rules that everyone started the season with *cough* "you suc" *cough* and decide that they will claim their own championship, well they are just a Whiney Pete.

If "you suc" or any other school does not want to participate in the BCS, then they need to make that very clear to the BCS and the rest of the BCS participants, PRIOR TO PLAYING THEIR FIRST GAME OF THE YEAR. Also, once you are out, you are always out.

Actually, I don't think there were. Not in the period from 1970 to the establishment of the BCS. I can remember 1974, as well as Georgia Tech / Colorado. That's all I remember...perhaps the year FSU lost to ND but still finished #1 ahead of them?

I could google this, but I have to get back to work...:O

Edit: I think ND and Alabama was involved in one as well, in the early '70s...still wouldn't consider that "a lot".

cheezyq
11/24/2008, 05:06 PM
Aside from USC and its fans (ESPN), no one recognizes that AP title.

yermom
11/24/2008, 09:33 PM
Actually, I don't think there were. Not in the period from 1970 to the establishment of the BCS. I can remember 1974, as well as Georgia Tech / Colorado. That's all I remember...perhaps the year FSU lost to ND but still finished #1 ahead of them?

I could google this, but I have to get back to work...:O

Edit: I think ND and Alabama was involved in one as well, in the early '70s...still wouldn't consider that "a lot".

'97, the year before the BCS started(Nebraska and Michigan)

and '94 probably should have been(Nebraska and Penn St.)

yermom
11/24/2008, 09:33 PM
I think I like having the AP around, to provide the alternative for a poorly or controversially chosen BCS champ.

wow.

we agree on something :D

tommieharris91
11/24/2008, 09:35 PM

Their picks always have a liberal bias though...

oupride
11/24/2008, 09:48 PM
Aside from USC and its fans (ESPN), no one recognizes that AP title.
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9694/usc3lgup8.jpg

olevetonahill
11/24/2008, 09:59 PM
AP dont Count fer **** .
If they wanted their Pole to Count for something they would let it be Part of the BCS .