PDA

View Full Version : Even the Gator Bowl doesn't want Notre Dame

aurorasooner
11/24/2008, 09:17 AM
From ESPN
4. Saturday's biggest winner in the North Division was Nebraska, and it had nothing to do with any Big 12 games. Syracuse's shocking upset over Notre Dame has dropped the Irish far down the Gator Bowl's wish list and pushed the Cornhuskers into the inside track for the game if they can beat Colorado on Friday. The Cornhuskers would be 8-4 and would have the sizzle of winning five of their last six games -- as well as returning to a bowl in coach Bo Pelini's first season. Gator Bowl officials are already salivating about a potential Nebraska-Florida State matchup, an enduring bowl treat between two once-dominant programs that were matched up four times in New Year's Day bowls from 1988-94. The only way that scenario won't happen will be if Notre Dame stuns USC next week in Los Angeles, where the Irish are 1-5 since 1996 and lost their last three games by an average margin of 27.3 points. Sounds like the Cornhuskers and their fans better start stocking up on suntan lotion.
For weeks, media have talked about coach Charlie Weis and his inability to connect with his team. This was a fine example of that. It's not about who's calling the plays, it's about who's running the team. Some other interesting tidbits
Brent Venables' luster is restored. The Oklahoma defensive coordinator's reputation -- like the "Big Game" mystique of his boss, Bob Stoops -- had been dinged a little in recent seasons because of the Sooners' BCS bowl game struggles. But after the Sooners' swarming, decisive dissection of Texas Tech's offense Saturday night, the nation again was reminded why the Sooners' Big 12 dynasty was built first and foremost on defense. The Sooners' strong defensive performance should resonate as a resume to help sell Venables for one of those open jobs that are out there. If he can direct a team in the future like he can to play defense against Texas Tech, he should be considered one of the hottest commodities available.
2. Let the BCS lobbying begin. Before the third quarter of Saturday's Oklahoma-Texas Tech game was finished, Texas spin doctors were texting national football writers and poll voters to remind them about Texas' 45-35 victory over Oklahoma on Oct. 11. As if they really had forgotten. But it shows what will be as big a battle off the field as on it as two monolithic football programs with the public-relations machines to match. It should be interesting to see how everything unfolds. Texas failed in its biggest road test this season and so did Texas Tech. Now, it will be Oklahoma's chance against Oklahoma State in a bitter road rivalry game. A win there would resonate for the Sooners unlike either of the other two South Division challengers.

I'm expecting to see a lot of bully pulpit harmonizing from Mack Brown and Stoops if their teams win their regular-season finales next week. Wouldn't it be delicious if somehow those two old rivals could end up meeting at the BCS Championship Game? Sure, Florida and Alabama would both have to lose as the Longhorns and Sooners keep winning. But in this wackiest of all college football seasons, anything appears to be possible.
3. Arizona is going to wonder what might have been this year: The Wildcats lost to New Mexico because of five turnovers. They lost by a point at Stanford on a late touchdown. USC clipped them by seven. A massive comeback attempt fell just short at Oregon. They yielded a game-losing field goal as time expired on Saturday against Oregon State. That's five defeats, and any of them could have gone another way if Arizona had made just a few more plays or a few fewer mistakes. Sure, you could say that about many teams, but when Arizona won, it won big -- its smallest margin of victory in six wins was 15 points. But Mike Stoops' crew still hasn't figured out how to win a close game, which has been a bugaboo during his tenure.
2. Syracuse should re-hire Greg Robinson and then fire him again this week: From KUSports.com
1. The big boys up front on the OU offensive line. Did it not seem like Sooners running backs DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown ran for 10 yards every time they touched the ball? The duo racked up 233 yards and five touchdowns. Murray, who finally looks as healthy as ever after knee troubles earlier in the year, averaged 6.9 yards per carry and Brown averaged 5.1. This was made possible by the OU offensive line pushing Tech defenders back off the line of scrimmage on most snaps.

2. Oklahoma's offense is the best in the nation. As far as I'm concerned, this is a fact. The Sooners now lead the nation with 52.64 points per game and have scored more touchdowns than any team. With a healthy Murray and Brown to keep Tech off balance, Sam Bradford had all day to find tight end Jermaine Gresham (five catches, 95 yards, TD) and receivers Manuel Johnson, Juaquin Iglesias and Ryan Broyles.

OU's offense is so quick-paced that I didn't even have to hit fast-forward on my DVR in between plays. As I was watching the game, I also thought: How would you like to work as part of the chain gang for an OU game? No thanks.

3. I could care less about the pregame stat that OU's special teams were one of only two units in the nation to give up three kickoff returns for touchdowns this season. Give me a break. When you score 81 touchdowns on the year — that's more than seven per game — you're probably going to kick off more than most other teams. :D
Onto the Week 13 awards. Only two games this weekend, so not many candidates.

Performers of the week: DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown, OU running backs The duo shredded a Tech defense that was much improved from years past and opened up the passing game for Bradford. They're the best 1-2 running back combo in the conference.

Most significant win of the week: Oklahoma 65, Texas Tech 21 Obviously. But let's take a look at what the OU victory could have done in the big picture.

The new BCS rankings were revealed Sunday night: 1. Alabama 2. Texas 3. Oklahoma 4. Florida 5. USC 7. Texas Tech 12. Oklahoma State 13. Missouri

If Oklahoma (0.912) beats No. 12 Oklahoma State in Stillwater next week, it will most likely leapfrog Texas (0.920), which finishes the season at home vs. South bottom-feeder Texas A&M. They're so close in points that style points will come into play. Who knows where that will lead.

Biggest surprise of the week: The OU defense Four sacks, an interception, four forced fumbles (two recovered), 45 Tech rushing yards, no touchdowns for Tech receiver Michael Crabtree, who had caught a TD in every game this season. Brilliant game plan by Venables. http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/conference_chatter/2008/nov/24/big-12-conference-week-13-awards/

OUHOMER
11/24/2008, 09:30 AM
very nice, You know Venables said that they keep the defense game plan very simple. maybe he had to much in the last few games, the guys were trying to think too much instead of just go play.
I know that was a little to simplistic, but could it be?