PDA

View Full Version : How should the tiebreaker be determined?

OU_Sooners75
11/24/2008, 03:49 AM
So here is the 411 about this post....

I have voiced my opinions on the BCS plenty...however let me take up your precious time and voice my opinion on yet another flawed system...

If there is a 3 way tie in a Big 12 division, it will get to the point in the tie breaker rules that the BCS determines the Divisional Representative. This is essentially saying that the human opinion once again determines the outcome of not only the National Championship, but a conference championship or at least a conference divisional champion.

Now I do realize that OU is only 0.008 points behind Texas in the BCS right now. And if they win next week, they will gain more points and be ahead of Texas in the BCS...or should be if history tells us anything. As a Sooner fan, I would love to see our guys play for their 3rd straight title, especially since I plan on being in attendance. However as a football fan this is the way I suggest the Big 12 to settle the tie between 3 or more teams...

Do the first three steps first. Team with the most points is the divisional winner. If a three way tie still exists continue until tie is settled. If a two way tie exists after the first thee steps, go to head to head match up. At any point past #3 if on team is elinimated then move to the 2 way tie to settle.)

Margin of Victory. Give one point for each point of difference in a victory upto 31 points. (Conference games only)
Margin of Loss. Take away one point for each point of difference in a loss upto 31 points.(Conference games only)
Place of game victory points. 1 point for a home win, 2 points for a neutral win, 3 points for a road win. (Conference games only)
Compare overall records. If no team is eliminated, move on.
Compare opponent records. If no team is eliminated, move on.
Representative to be determined by draw.

If this system was in place, at this point in time, with no "what ifs" for the future...The big 12 south would look like this....

1. Oklahoma: (MOV-MOL) 151 points + (Location) 12 points = 163 total tie breaker points.
2. Texas: (MOV-MOL) 108 points + (Location) 11 points = 119 total tie breaker points.
3. Texas Tech: (MOV-MOL) 91 points + (Location) 12 points = 103 total tie breaker points.
4. Oklahoma State
5. Baylor
6. Texas A&M

Any time there is a 3 way tie, the chances of the determination going beyond the first three steps would be slim to none.

Though it is not close in tie breaker points...I challenge ANYONE AND EVERYONE to come up with a better way. Things need to be determined on the field and not determined by Human Opinions. Late losses by teams should not matter, nor should late tough schedules.

Jewstin
11/24/2008, 04:05 AM
This really does seem fair.

But, to play devil's advocate ... OMG THIS DOESN'T RESULT IN TEXAS REPRESENTING THE SOUTH? BUT .. BUT ... HEAD TO HEAD ... ... MACK BROWN ... TEXAS FOOTBALL ... ... OU SUCKS ....... sports ....... head to head?

In all honesty though, this seems to be the only way to attach any sort of comparison to teams involved in a three way tie. People would probably argue the point weights for game location since some places are tougher than others.

Margin of victory obviously should be included in the comparison, though. Throw the sportsmanship consideration out (bogus anyways, especially when comparing teams tied for first place).

I think the real objective would be to devise a system where you don't produce three way ties instead of trying to make this work. :\

OU_Sooners75
11/24/2008, 04:11 AM
This really does seem fair.

But, to play devil's advocate ... OMG THIS DOESN'T RESULT IN TEXAS REPRESENTING THE SOUTH? BUT .. BUT ... HEAD TO HEAD ... ... MACK BROWN ... TEXAS FOOTBALL ... ... OU SUCKS ....... sports ....... head to head?

In all honesty though, this seems to be the only way to attach any sort of comparison to teams involved in a three way tie. People would probably argue the point weights for game location since some places are tougher than others.

Margin of victory obviously should be included in the comparison, though. Throw the sportsmanship consideration out (bogus anyways, especially when comparing teams tied for first place).

I think the real objective would be to devise a system where you don't produce three way ties instead of trying to make this work. :\

This is essentially how Oklahoma High School determine the winners in district play if there is ties and they need to determine their 4 representatives to go to state.

There is room for tweaking it here and there...but this would take all human opinion out of the equation. The BCS is already a POS when determining a national champion, why should the Big 12 use it to break any ties in conference play? They shouldnt.

KingBarry
11/24/2008, 04:34 AM
I think I disagree with you guys. BCS ranking should be in there.

Let's say Oklahoma was ranked at No 3, and very much in the national title hunt, and Texas was ranked at No 6 and out of the hunt.

Wouldn't it be in the league's interest to host a national marquee game with national implications versus a game of regional interests only?

Tell me why I'm wrong.

OU_Sooners75
11/24/2008, 04:41 AM
I think I disagree with you guys. BCS ranking should be in there.

Let's say Oklahoma was ranked at No 3, and very much in the national title hunt, and Texas was ranked at No 6 and out of the hunt.

Wouldn't it be in the league's interest to host a national marquee game with national implications versus a game of regional interests only?

Tell me why I'm wrong.

So essentially you agree with the BCS BS?

Why are you wrong? We dont care what the nation thinks, this is for the Big 12 title game and potential Big 12 Championship Trophy! And we are talking about breaking ties...something the BCS should not be involved in.

All teams play each other in the South...

Texas has an average MOV-MOL of 32 points (excludes this weeks game). They played just 1 road game and 1 neutral game against South Opponents. (5 games and includes this weeks game)

OU has an average MOV-MOL of 105 points (excludes this weeks game). They played 3 road games and 1 netural game against South Opponents. (5 games and includes this weeks game)

Polls should not have anything to do with determining who wins a divisional title. Play on the field should.