PDA

View Full Version : Question for a BCS expert

JLEW1818
11/24/2008, 12:59 AM
If Kansas beats Missouri this weekend, will this lower Texas strength of schedule at all??? I have not heard anybody talk about this yet.... I under stand ou and ut both beat Kansas.... but still if Kansas can beat Missouri

noobalicious
11/24/2008, 01:07 AM
If Kansas beats Missouri this weekend, will this lower Texas strength of schedule at all??? I have not heard anybody talk about this yet.... I under stand ou and ut both beat Kansas.... but still if Kansas can beat Missouri

Not a BCS expert, but I'll give it a shot.

Yes, this would lower Texas' strength of schedule. However, I doubt it would make a serious impact. Strength of schedule is a major consideration in the computer polls, but it shouldn't cause too much of a ripple effect. In fact one of the six computer polls only counts how strong a team was when you beat them. In Texas' case, they beat Mizzou when they were ranked quite high.

The computers are basically a giant cluster*%(^ and nobody really knows. Opponents losing this week wouldn't have a huge impact unless a LOT of Texas' opponents lost, and probably a few of those opponents' opponents.

OU_Sooners75
11/24/2008, 01:08 AM

Yes it will lower their SOS a little bit and raise OU's a little. However the bigger difference will come from OU playing OSU and Texas playing A&M.

JLEW1818
11/24/2008, 01:10 AM
Right but if its down to the wire, Kansas beating Missouri would only help us? When its this close a win for Kansas would be huge,... right?

starclassic tama
11/24/2008, 01:14 AM
i thought they took the strength of schedule element out of it?

noobalicious
11/24/2008, 01:15 AM
i thought they took the strength of schedule element out of it?

They did in a way. But all of the computer rankings factor that in as an "objective" way to determine rankings. So basically it's 1/3 of the BCS lol

sooner59
11/24/2008, 01:25 AM
Yeah people got mad when SOS was part of the equation:

Coaches, AP/Harris, SOS, computers...

So they basically just took SOS and hid it in the computers portion.

Coaches, Harris, Computers.....see, its hiding. ;)

JLEW1818
11/24/2008, 01:28 AM
So if Kansas won, that would help us a tad? A tad is maybe all we need.

Crucifax Autumn
11/24/2008, 02:45 AM
It would help the slightest little bit, but every little bit adds up to enough with the big bit being we win against sheephumper state.

GreenSooner
11/24/2008, 03:20 AM
It would help the slightest little bit, but every little bit adds up to enough with the big bit being we win against sheephumper state.

Rock chalk Jayhawk....I guess! I've certainly rooted for more inherently odious teams under similar circumstances in the past.