PDA

View Full Version : Just re-watched the game....

boomersooner28
11/23/2008, 11:17 PM
and I didn't get to hear a lot that was said due to the fact that my house was going crazy most of the time. But, their was a comment in the 3rd quarter by Herbstreit that really pisses me off. We are up by 38 on the #2 team in America and instead of giving us props he decides to rattle off the fact that "we need to keep mentioning the fact that Texas beat Oklahoma head to head". Well you know what Herbie? While you are busy sucking the Florida tubesteak why don't you not forget to bring up the fact that FLORIDA LOST TO AN UNRANKED MISSISSIPPI TEAM AT HOME!!! Mention that one Herbie!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have lost a lot of respect for Kirk Herbstreit this year.

boomersooner28
11/23/2008, 11:18 PM
And then right after he shuts his piehole...Manny catches a long td pass! Beautiful! :D

bcgvh
11/23/2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I don't know what his deal is, normally he does a pretty good job, but he's all over Texas right now and the ole head to head argument BS.

1890MilesToNorman
11/23/2008, 11:27 PM
You re-watchers don't spoil the ending for me, I ain't re-watching until tomorrow morning.

I hate it when folks give away the ending.

Iam4OUru
11/23/2008, 11:30 PM
You re-watchers don't spoil the ending for me, I ain't re-watching until tomorrow morning.

I hate it when folks give away the ending.

My favorite play was with 6:00 left in the third.......:P :P :P

Just messin' with ya.

King Crimson
11/23/2008, 11:30 PM
i don't like Herbstreit. i think he sucks.

boomersooner28
11/23/2008, 11:34 PM

I think you are right!

Sooner02
11/23/2008, 11:37 PM
What the kicker is, after Johnson scores, and literally dismantles his whole argument by furthering the blowout, he GOES BACK to kissing texas' ***. This is why the system is broken, the talking head blow-hards try to control it even when the team he's downplaying is scoring right in front of his face.

boomersooner28
11/24/2008, 12:07 AM
The funny thing is that Florida IS NOT going to beat Alabama. I repeat, FLORIDA WILL NOT BEAT ALABAMA! Do you realize how much bulletin board material Bama has? They have been overlooked all year. They are a snake lying in the weeds. The talking heads are penciling in Florida for the Title game and Bama is gonna rock their world....Bama couldn't have any more motivation. You know how we play when we have a chip on our shoulder? That is gonna be Bama in the SEC Championship...I feel sorry for the Gators.

Jewstin
11/24/2008, 03:45 AM
Man, this same crap has happened for years now. Herbstreit did it last year right after we had finished dismantling everyone's favorite #1 team in Missouri. The coaches hadn't even shook hands before Kirk was like, "what a great display ... but i have to give the nod to LSU!" Musberger didn't say anything, since I think he was still mourning the collapse of his favorite quarterback, Chase Daniel.

Hell, even earlier tonight, during the UConn/USF game, they cut to highlights of the OU/Texas game, and each announcer probably mentioned the score a half dozen times, constantly reiterating the "head-to-head" element.

They'd better start showing some highlights of the first half of the Tech game, where Texas got de-pants'd.

noobalicious
11/24/2008, 03:50 AM
The funny thing is that Florida IS NOT going to beat Alabama. I repeat, FLORIDA WILL NOT BEAT ALABAMA! Do you realize how much bulletin board material Bama has? They have been overlooked all year. They are a snake lying in the weeds. The talking heads are penciling in Florida for the Title game and Bama is gonna rock their world....Bama couldn't have any more motivation. You know how we play when we have a chip on our shoulder? That is gonna be Bama in the SEC Championship...I feel sorry for the Gators.

I've been thinking that myself. Doesn't change the fact I'd love an OU-Fla National Championship. That would be an amazing game methinks.

Blues1
11/24/2008, 03:57 AM
I didn't have to Re-Watch The Game to hear what I heard the First time - For Whatever reason Herby Loves Colt McCoy -- If he does it again This week in Stillwater We Need to flood The Emails to ABC telling them We Want Equal time with Putting Lou Holltz or somebody else PRO OU on the Phone ---- :)

KingBarry
11/24/2008, 03:58 AM
I've been thinking that myself. Doesn't change the fact I'd love an OU-Fla National Championship. That would be an amazing game methinks.

No, I'm not buying what the media giants are selling. They want two big market teams, period. Except for an occasional alumnus of a particular school, the networks really only want a BCS Champion from two big TV markets. They want Texas and Florida because those are the biggest markets still in the chase, unless they can some how desperately pull in USC.

I want an Oklahoma-Alabama championship game. These are the old-school royalty of college football. They may be the two most similar programs in America. And wasn't that home-and-home series a few years back fun?

Saban is a tool, but otherwise I am all about 'Bama being a truly worthy adversary, just like when Nebraska used to be good.

I just think both sets of fans deserve a game like this.

And I think our fans deserve to get the win!;)

Crucifax Autumn
11/24/2008, 03:59 AM

I lost it the first time I ever heard him talk.

Blues1
11/24/2008, 04:14 AM
So What Happens IF Auburn saves their season and beats Bama - Florida State does the same and Beats Florida - and Then Florida beats Bama (Both would have 2 Loss's) - Is it OU Vs Texas in National Champ Game...?? OR ---??

OU_Sooners75
11/24/2008, 04:18 AM
Florida will lose to Florida State!

(I hope) I am so freaking tired of how ESPN and the rest of the "media" gets all over the cocks of Florida when they seem to be good.

Screw the SEC...and Screw ESPN!

OU_Sooners75
11/24/2008, 04:19 AM
So What Happens IF Auburn saves their season and beats Bama - Florida State does the same and Beats Florida - and Then Florida beats Bama (Both would have 2 Loss's) - Is it OU Vs Texas in National Champ Game...?? OR ---??

All things point to yes.

Even though I think the Media would then turn to USC and start sucking!

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/24/2008, 07:02 AM

yeah he sucks alright......sucks gator C***

rubyspirit
11/25/2008, 09:36 PM
I heard that. Upset me too.

Jacie
11/25/2008, 09:59 PM
and I didn't get to hear a lot that was said due to the fact that my house was going crazy most of the time. But, their was a comment in the 3rd quarter by Herbstreit that really pisses me off. We are up by 38 on the #2 team in America and instead of giving us props he decides to rattle off the fact that "we need to keep mentioning the fact that Texas beat Oklahoma head to head". Well you know what Herbie? While you are busy sucking the Florida tubesteak why don't you not forget to bring up the fact that FLORIDA LOST TO AN UNRANKED MISSISSIPPI TEAM AT HOME!!! Mention that one Herbie!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It was because by that time Mack Brown had aggravated tendinitis from texting Hurt Gerbilsfeet and every other media guy covering the game in Norman that night reminding them of it.

Bottom line is this: Texas fans = crybabies

AzianSooner
11/25/2008, 10:10 PM

Some guys like Herbstreit 'cause he sucks.

NOT ME

ARW3
11/26/2008, 12:43 AM
he gets a lot of women. that, in and of itself, is worth a little bit of respect.

vigilantesooner
11/26/2008, 12:45 AM
he gets a lot of women. that, in and of itself, is worth a little bit of respect.

So does Rosie O'Donnell.

Sooner1979
11/26/2008, 12:53 AM
So does Rosie O'Donnell.

And for that matter, so did Charles Manson...Manson is a better example, because they both have a cult following and both used propaganda to voice their opinions that their followers viewed as "The Word"...

Jmorales22
11/26/2008, 12:59 AM
Herbstreit has his opinion that Texas should be the winner of the south. He's been on our side before (see Auburn 2004). Right now he just isn't on our side and while I don't agree with him I think he has more of a point this week than he will next week if OU wins. I didn't think LSU deserved to get a free NC last year either but I don't think Herb was the man who singlehandedly made it happen. Yes, it is annoying that the media refuses to jump on our bandwagon, but we might have ourselves to blame for that one.

Sometimes in many sports there is an east coast bias that I observe, but I don't see that here. And seriously, some of these consipracy theories are really dumb. No, ESPN doesn't have an agenda to get an SEC school in because of the tv contract. No, they don't just want teams from bigger markets to get in. They just have their opinions like every other observer does and they happen to be where you can hear them a bunch. You just don't like what they have to say.

SCOUT
11/26/2008, 01:07 AM
ESPN isn't about fairness or who should win the title. They are about ratings. Ratings to a network is the same as revenue for the company for which you work. They aren't necessarily biased or uninformed, they are merely stirring the pot so the masses will watch. Did most of us watch ESPN this week to see where they would place us? Would as many have watched if it was a foregone conclusion?

Take a deep breath and enjoy the rest of the season.

ARW3
11/26/2008, 01:16 AM
I think Herbie's reluctance is what the national media has given voice to recently: that OU doesn't perform well in bowl games. The WV game added some legitimacy and crystalized the idea. I was worried about it too until, and during, the tech game when it became clear that this is a team that's hungry and mad. That game showed us an OU staff that has put the funk of the SC OB behind them. It had been a long time since we had seen fire and focus for 4 quarters.

Crucifax Autumn
11/26/2008, 02:02 AM
some of these consipracy theories are really dumb

I agree completely...

But herbie's still a twat.

King Crimson
11/26/2008, 07:25 AM
my opinion of Herbstreit has nothing to do with his position re: OU this year or any year. i just think he's a blowhard who was OK in the studio but listening to him for 3 1/2 hours is painful.

at least it's fun to hate on Dave Lapham for being such a hamhead.

oupride
11/26/2008, 09:31 AM
The funny thing is that Florida IS NOT going to beat Alabama. I repeat, FLORIDA WILL NOT BEAT ALABAMA!
I think you are right and I DON'T/WON'T feel sorry for Florida!

IronHorseSooner
11/26/2008, 09:52 AM
But ESPN seems to be the only that is using this flawed logic and is trying to jackhammer this thing into people's skulls. Fox, the network that will actually carry the BCS, seems to either be trumpeting the Sooners' cause, or at least don't have some moral objection to us being there (ie Fiutiak, Rosenberg, DeMarco Farr, the Fox OT guys). CBS (with Spencer and Rod Thulin on Versus), are Sooner backers, but believe that OU v. FLA is the match up people want. The same goes for the CNN guys (Menez and Mandel), who have taken a "wait and see after the OSU game" mentality for the team and for Bradford. Not all ESPN (ie Dickie V, but alas he is BBALL) have taken what I now like to call the "Blind Texas" stance, but most have. But their motives may be more personal than corporate:

Musberger: Long time critic of OU, especially with Barry and Billy
Gottfired: Former KU coach who used to get pwned annually by Barry
Forde: Mizzou grad who went there at the time Barry pwned them
Schlabach and Feldman: They tend to be two who would follow the herd mentlaity
Cowherd: Has had it in for OU since '04
Donnan: He's a friend of Bob, but also a friend of Mack.

PLaw
11/26/2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I don't know what his deal is, normally he does a pretty good job, but he's all over Texas right now and the ole head to head argument BS.

Head to head is a viable argument. Believe me, if the shoe were on the other foot, then we would be singing the same song.

In this case, with the three-way tie, it is much less credible. Especially, considering how Tech pretty much manhandled Texass for 57 min and 31 seconds.

In the wacky, crazy world of college football, you have to look at who is the hotter team today. With an impressive win at Stoolwater, the Sooners can slam the door on that agrument.

BOOMER

King Crimson
11/26/2008, 10:23 AM
Head to head is a viable argument. Believe me, if the shoe were on the other foot, then we would be singing the same song.

BOOMER

i agree 100%. what would be interesting since the horns are structuring their "loss" argument around 1. being on the road and 2. they beat us by 10 which is apparently a "decisive win" compared to losing by 6 which is "just barely losing". so, those 4 points are apparently the magic.

so, the UT road loss to Tech vs. the OU win against to Tech in Norman:

if we beat OSU in Stillwater by the same margin or more than they did in Austin....what argument do they have, having assembled the logic of home-away as such?

the rhetorical plasticity of homer fan arguments is truly an amazing thing.

stoopified
11/26/2008, 10:38 AM
what irks me the most is that Herbie is NOT consistent in his logic.On one hand UF is playing the best football in America NOW, so they are the BEST team despite losing to unranked OleMiss at home.OU on the other hand loses a game to #5 UT in which we lead 3/4 of the game and often by 14,lose by 10 because of a long TD run with around 3 minutes to go.Since then we are undefeated with a 44 point win over #2 TT.UF best win is over 9-2 UGa.

If UF can forget a loss to unranked Ole Miss why can't OU forget a loss to UT? Because UT is a good team and Ole Miss is average?What sense does that make?

FlatheadSooner
11/26/2008, 10:55 AM
I also re-watched the game last night - but only got through the first half.

I'm really excited about the way that Austin Box is playing! He hit somebody pretty hard on one solo tackle and took Box several seconds to get up and clear his own head. Then he continued to have a great game - seems to be in the right place most of the time and is making / helping some good tackles.

This is going to keep our D on the improving side as they all are settling in positions and feeding off each others success!

:)

rainiersooner
11/26/2008, 11:21 AM
I didn't have to Re-Watch The Game to hear what I heard the First time - For Whatever reason Herby Loves Colt McCoy -- If he does it again This week in Stillwater We Need to flood The Emails to ABC telling them We Want Equal time with Putting Lou Holltz or somebody else PRO OU on the Phone ---- :)

Yeah - isn't there some college football application to the "fairness doctrine" I keep hearing about!!??

We want Corso!!!! :eek:

Knippz
11/26/2008, 11:34 AM
It's called BIAS people. It happens. All the time.

Oh well, we love proving people wrong, right?

And yes, Box is playing outstanding.