PDA

View Full Version : If your Texas

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 09:27 PM
Do you hope that the 3 way tie happens and take the slim chances that Texas stays at number 2?

Or

Do you hope that Oklahoma loses to Oklahoma state, Tech beats baylor, tech goes to play Missouri in the big 12 championship, and regardless of who wins does it matter? Because Texas will be sitting at number 2 after championship games.....

Texas obviously would like to win the big 12, but would it be worth taking the chances of the 3 way tie?

OUHOMER
11/23/2008, 09:30 PM
I think they can add down there. I think they know their screwed if OU wins next week. TT should win a baylor, but stranger things have happened.

I love watching them sweat

OURX
11/23/2008, 09:34 PM
Jerry Palm states TX is out no matter what. OU and Tech win, we make up the points. We lose, and they are still out.

Dan Thompson
11/23/2008, 09:34 PM
OU and Texas keep winning and stay 2 & 3 in the BCS. Florida beats Alabama in the SEC, but its a very close game. OU and Texas move up the 1 & 2 in the BCS.

We play Texas in the BCS championship game and win by taking away the short pass over the middle.

StoopTroup
11/23/2008, 09:36 PM
I think the whole deal is pretty fair considering. Of course I'd like to be ahead of them right now....but if we go into stoolwater and dominate (Thanks Doleo :D)...we deserve to go to the Big XII Championship Game.

If we lose...I really don't care what happens then. I'll go watch us play anyone they match us up with at that point. We've had a great year. It will end well either way for me.

Number 8 wOUld be sweet thOUgh.

BTW...I will never ever be texas...even hypothetically.

htownsooner7
11/23/2008, 09:39 PM
I know so many whorns, they aren't thinking like that. They just can't fathom not being ahead of us.

sendbaht
11/23/2008, 09:40 PM
StooptrOUp I like your attitude, I 2nd your post!

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 09:42 PM
Noway Florida does not get in if they win out.

OUHOMER
11/23/2008, 09:43 PM
OU and Texas keep winning and stay 2 & 3 in the BCS. Florida beats Alabama in the SEC, but its a very close game. OU and Texas move up the 1 & 2 in the BCS.

We play Texas in the BCS championship game and win by taking away the short pass over the middle.

I would love to see it, But i think we need Florida to lose to FSU, than beat Alabama.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 09:45 PM
screw that, i'm not taking the chance, we want florida to win, to keep pressure on texas in the human polls.

IronHorseSooner
11/23/2008, 09:46 PM
The only way UTerus is in is if Baylor wins. That's it. BTW, if UTerus is in the top 4, do they automatically get a BCS bid over TECH? With us out of the picture, TECH could, and rightfully so, argue that they should get the BCS bid over UTerus because they beat them. That argument didn't work last year for Mizzou over KU, but who knows?

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 09:48 PM
I think bull****. If we lose to Oklahoma State, a 1 loss Texas will be in the National title game, no ifs or buts about it.

olevetonahill
11/23/2008, 09:59 PM
The only way UTerus is in is if Baylor wins. That's it. BTW, if UTerus is in the top 4, do they automatically get a BCS bid over TECH? With us out of the picture, TECH could, and rightfully so, argue that they should get the BCS bid over UTerus because they beat them. That argument didn't work last year for Mizzou over KU, but who knows?

Thats what Im thinkin
Wouldnt It Pizz the :texan: s Off IF they get Left Out of the BCS Bowls altogether :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
especialy after Having to ROOT for us .;)

GreaterState
11/23/2008, 10:00 PM
It's early in the week but the Horn fans I know are pretty divided on this. I'd rather take chances on the tie, because if Texas goes to national game, I'd rather it be as Big 12 Champs rather than Husker their way in (and by counting on Mizzou to win, to boot). And it is not a certainty that OU would prevail in the BCS with a win. (Probably, but not surely.)

If Oklahoma loses, I go back to rooting for Mizzou, and Texas still getting to Miami that way.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 10:03 PM
I think it wouldnt matter who won the big 12 ship if it was between tech and missouri. No way tech makes up that much ground.

TumbleWeed Timmy
11/24/2008, 01:18 AM
Let's just say the unthinkable happens and OU loses to OSU.

Then Tech wins both Baylor then Mizzou in the CCG.

I would say we would have a DAMN good argument for the BCS title game as the Big12 champ, and winning the head to head vs Texas.

I know the "human" side of the BCS equation would prevent this from happening, we would be no higher than #4 with a 12-1 record and our only loss comming from a top 5 team (OU)..

WOW this system is hellafawed.

GreaterState
11/24/2008, 01:56 AM
Let's just say the unthinkable happens and OU loses to OSU.

Then Tech wins both Baylor then Mizzou in the CCG.

I would say we would have a DAMN good argument for the BCS title game as the Big12 champ, and winning the head to head vs Texas.

I know the "human" side of the BCS equation would prevent this from happening, we would be no higher than #4 with a 12-1 record and our only loss comming from a top 5 team (OU)..

WOW this system is hellafawed.

That is basically the argument used by Brad Edwards at ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=roadtobcs/0806) (currently their lead story on the issue):

As bad as that one loss may have been, the Red Raiders would still be 12-1 and champions of the conference that has been the dominant story of this college football season. And Tech would hold the double trump card on Texas -- a head-to-head win to go along with the conference title -- which would make it very difficult for voters to keep the Longhorns above the Raiders on their ballots.

JLEW1818
11/24/2008, 01:59 AM
Note Nebraska 2001

Jewstin
11/24/2008, 02:39 AM
I'm not sure where they're getting off on this whole backdoor into the national championship idea with an OSU victory over OU. There is ZERO chance the human pollsters give any consideration to a team that didn't even win their own division, much less their conference. GG head-to-head.

If you're Texas at this point, you just beat your chest about a fluke of a game in early October that you needed a major injury and a flurry of horrible calls to climb back into, moan about losing against Tech after pulling a big comeback, then completely ignore anything else that has been happening lately and move back to the first point since it's the only argument you've got.

I mean, hey, if they can pull the whole "our loss was a fluke" bit, so can we. And if style points don't matter for us, why the hell do all of theirs? They can talk about their strength of schedule, but we're idiots for mentioning how we demolished two highly ranked and regarded teams in Cinci and TCU?

Hehe! They're so blinded by rage that they're abandoning reason. They hate the fact that everyone can see that we're the better team at this point in the season, and that the freaking nature of a three-way tie has no resolution aside from subjective analysis. The head-to-head argument is COMPLETELY and TOTALLY MOOT in every single regard, since, HELLO, we ALL BEAT ONE ANOTHER.

These fools are just using whatever argument suits them in a given situation. It's funny to watch all the "oh muhh gawd sooner logic = LoL" threads over on Hornfans, only to see every other poster employ one fallacy after another.

GreaterState
11/24/2008, 03:06 AM
If you're Texas at this point, you just beat your chest about a fluke of a game in early October that you needed a major injury and a flurry of horrible calls to climb back into, moan about losing against Tech after pulling a big comeback, then completely ignore anything else that has been happening lately and move back to the first point since it's the only argument you've got.

Uh, did you watch the RRS? OU didn't score twice in a row at any point. So Texas never had to "climb back" into it. You got answered score for score and then some. The three-way tie debates are interesting, but if you cannot admit you got beat -- and well -- without resorting to lame excuses, then who's "abandoning reason" again?

Crucifax Autumn
11/24/2008, 03:19 AM
Maybe you're right about all that....your not, but I'll play anyway.

YOU STILL DON'T GET TO GO TO THE CCG AND YOU STILL DON'T PLAY FOR THE MNC!!!! HA-HA!!!! SUCKS TO BE A WHORN!!!!

GreaterState
11/24/2008, 03:25 AM
Maybe you're right about all that....your not, but I'll play anyway.

YOU STILL DON'T GET TO GO TO THE CCG AND YOU STILL DON'T PLAY FOR THE MNC!!!! HA-HA!!!! SUCKS TO BE A WHORN!!!!

I will have to comfort myself best I can by putting on my shiny golden hat.

There's a good chance you'll be right, but that will make it a whole lot more satisfying if you're wrong ...

Jewstin
11/24/2008, 03:38 AM
Uh, did you watch the RRS? OU didn't score twice in a row at any point. So Texas never had to "climb back" into it. You got answered score for score and then some. The three-way tie debates are interesting, but if you cannot admit you got beat -- and well -- without resorting to lame excuses, then who's "abandoning reason" again?

I was mostly referencing us leading by 11 at two different times in the game.
You're right, though, I probably shouldn't have said "climb back in" since you guys did manage to hang around decently. Up until Reynolds went out though, I, personally, didn't feel nervous.

The point of my offering lame excuses was that turnabout is fair play. It's perfectly acceptable for Texas fans to do it, but not us. I guess you missed that one. See how both sides can be ridiculous in supporting their case?

It's funny you talk about admitting one's own defeat ... explain to me the head-to-head doctrine again? I'm still wondering how Texas Tech fits into that. ;)

I wonder ... since their 44 point loss to us supposedly knocks them out of the discussion, doesn't that also translate to Texas being knocked out of the discussion, since they lost to 'em? Crap. Come to think of it, since Texas beat us, we're also out of the discussion! Wheeeeeee, circles!

There is no meaningful argument at this point. You can play the numbers game and compare various components, like opponents, factoring in where the games were played, etc., and probably just end up with a wash.

Or, you can just do what obviously a vast majority of voters did and ask yourself: who is the better team, more deserving of the higher rank, right now? I guess most thought Oklahoma. And I imagine it had something to do with the whole 65-21 thing.

olevetonahill
11/24/2008, 03:42 AM

Hey:texan: , you Might wanta check yer Facts before coming On here and proving to Us yer an Idiot :D
Yer :texan: s Trailed Most of the game
twice By 11 Points , that Indicates to me that we scored Twice at least once with out the :texan: s scoring
Check out this Link Einstein :rolleyes:

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/101108aaa.html

olevetonahill
11/24/2008, 03:44 AM
I will have to comfort myself best I can by putting on my shiny golden hat.

There's a good chance you'll be right, but that will make it a whole lot more satisfying if you're wrong ...

You gonna wear that Hat to shade yer tear stained eyes as We Look at you thru Crystal ;)

GreaterState
11/24/2008, 05:03 AM
There is no meaningful argument at this point.

Well, we were having a meaningful argument in this thread, one which by definition is circular. You're the one who started to compare OU and Texas cases head to head, which is nicely invalidated by the beating.

Since you asked, there's no comparison between Texas' loss and OU's. Texas played an absolutely horrible game from top to bottom and still came within one second of winning anyway. That's not an excuse; UT should've won and didn't. Conversely, a whole lot more would have had to have gone OU's way for them to prevail in Dallas. So you brought Tech to Norman and did to them what UT does to them in Austin: hang half a hundred on 'em. Still, that's not to take away what was a truly impressive win from your excellent football team -- a team that I'm glad Texas beat. ;)

Or, you can just do what obviously a vast majority of voters did and ask yourself: who is the better team, more deserving of the higher rank, right now?

Come on, Jewstin, say it ... I can tell you wanna say it ...

"If we could play Texas right now we'd beat their asses!"

Well, I guess it was just a month ago. Or were you thinking that hours after the RRS :rolleyes: