PDA

View Full Version : Computer polls 11/23

Jewstin
11/23/2008, 08:55 PM
I got really, really tired of having to read the stupid numerical system the computer polls use, so here are the top 5 teams of each computer poll (as per http://cfn.scout.com/2/582114.html ) with a breakdown of the net differences between us and Texas in all three polls in the BCS calculation, along with their BCS contribution.

Computer Polls:
(the lowest and highest is thrown out in the calculation, leaving 4 scores on a 25 point scale ... #1 is awarded 25 points, #5 is awarded 21).

Anderson and Hester
-------------------
1.) Alabama
2.) Utah
3.) Texas - 23
4.) Oklahoma - 22
5.) Texas Tech

Billingsley
-----------
1.) Alabama
2.) Oklahoma - 24
3.) Texas - 23 (thrown out)
4.) Texas Tech
5.) USC

Colley Matrix
-------------
1.) Texas - 25
2.) Alabama
3.) Utah
4.) Florida
5.) Oklahoma - 21 (thrown out)

Massey
------
1.) Oklahoma - 25 (thrown out)
2.) Texas - 24
3.) Texas Tech
4.) Alabama
5.) Utah

Sagarin
-------
1.) Texas - 25 (thrown out)
2.) Texas Tech
3.) Alabama
4.) Oklahoma - 22
5.) Utah

Wolfe
-----
1.) Alabama
2.) Texas - 24
3.) Texas Tech
4.) Oklahoma - 22
5.) Utah

In summary:
Texas - 23, 23, 25, 24, 25, 24
Oklahoma - 22, 24, 21, 25, 22, 22

There are four polls where either Utah or Texas Tech is ranked ahead of us (2 for the Utes, 2 for the Raiders).

BCS Point Contribution

Harris Poll: .0074 point advantage, OU -> + .002467 BCS contribution
Coach's Poll: .0275 point advantage, OU -> + .009167 BCS contribution
Computer polls: .060 point advantage, Texas -> - .020 BCS contribution

Sum those three, and you have the net difference between us and Texas in the BCS average - roughly .008363 points.

It's interesting to see the variations in the computer polls. Why the hell have they not implemented more of them is my question. Having six polls, then throwing out a third of them seems silly. If nothing else, these calculations need to be standardized and pooled into a single computation, or there needs to be more of them. In statistics, the more, the better, especially when the results appear so incredibly cracked-out. :D

Barring a major drop in the human element of the calculation, I think the computer situation will iron itself out next Sunday.

IronHorseSooner
11/23/2008, 09:13 PM
I got really, really tired of having to read the stupid numerical system the computer polls use, so here are the top 5 teams of each computer poll (as per http://cfn.scout.com/2/582114.html ) with a breakdown of the net differences between us and Texas in all three polls in the BCS calculation, along with their BCS contribution.

Computer Polls:
(the lowest and highest is thrown out in the calculation, leaving 4 scores on a 25 point scale ... #1 is awarded 25 points, #5 is awarded 21).

Anderson and Hester
-------------------
1.) Alabama
2.) Utah
3.) Texas - 23
4.) Oklahoma - 22
5.) Texas Tech

Billingsley
-----------
1.) Alabama
2.) Oklahoma - 24
3.) Texas - 23 (thrown out)
4.) Texas Tech
5.) USC

Colley Matrix
-------------
1.) Texas - 25
2.) Alabama
3.) Utah
4.) Florida
5.) Oklahoma - 21 (thrown out)

Massey
------
1.) Oklahoma - 25 (thrown out)
2.) Texas - 24
3.) Texas Tech
4.) Alabama
5.) Utah

Sagarin
-------
1.) Texas - 25 (thrown out)
2.) Texas Tech
3.) Alabama
4.) Oklahoma - 22
5.) Utah

Wolfe
-----
1.) Alabama
2.) Texas - 24
3.) Texas Tech
4.) Oklahoma - 22
5.) Utah

In summary:
Texas - 23, 23, 25, 24, 25, 24
Oklahoma - 22, 24, 21, 25, 22, 22

There are four polls where either Utah or Texas Tech is ranked ahead of us (2 for the Utes, 2 for the Raiders).

BCS Point Contribution

Harris Poll: .0074 point advantage, OU -> + .002467 BCS contribution
Coach's Poll: .0275 point advantage, OU -> + .009167 BCS contribution
Computer polls: .060 point advantage, Texas -> - .020 BCS contribution

Sum those three, and you have the net difference between us and Texas in the BCS average - roughly .008363 points.

It's interesting to see the variations in the computer polls. Why the hell have they not implemented more of them is my question. Having six polls, then throwing out a third of them seems silly. If nothing else, these calculations need to be standardized and pooled into a single computation, or there needs to be more of them. In statistics, the more, the better, especially when the results appear so incredibly cracked-out. :D

Barring a major drop in the human element of the calculation, I think the computer situation will iron itself out next Sunday.

Without going into too much more explanation, we beat Hairgel, we are in. All we need to do is close the gap. We will jump TTECH and the Utes in most, if not all, polls. TTECH drops their SOS by playing Baylor, and UU cannot improve their position, they are in the clubhouse. I that this would be the scenario after this week and this result- leads in the human polls, razor close in the computers. Under that scenario, and not the other way around, advantage OU because we still haven't played the OSU card. :D

Stitch Face
11/23/2008, 09:17 PM
I wonder if OSU, ever so eager to be the spoiler, is excited to be our springboard to success.

Jewstin
11/23/2008, 09:18 PM
Precisely! The computers, which don't factor margin of victory, are only going to improve in our favor this week if (nay, WHEN) we beat OSU. We'd have to see a huge chunk of human votes go in favor of Texas to upset the balance, and I don't see that happening given the location of the OSU game, their rank and record, and the respect they have this season.

I just needed to look at the numbers and see that for myself, since I don't trust any of the supposed experts!

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 09:23 PM
The most important thing is that Texas is behind Oklahoma and florida in both the harris and coaches poll, OU and FL get a chance to beat a ranked team on the road, so texas will only lose votes, it ou and fl win

TopDawg
11/23/2008, 10:33 PM
Precisely! The computers, which don't factor margin of victory, are only going to improve in our favor this week if (nay, WHEN) we beat OSU. We'd have to see a huge chunk of human votes go in favor of Texas to upset the balance, and I don't see that happening given the location of the OSU game, their rank and record, and the respect they have this season.

I just needed to look at the numbers and see that for myself, since I don't trust any of the supposed experts!

Nice posts.

In Sagarin's rankings he also has a predictor component that says where he (or his computer) thinks each team will finish given their remaining schedule. He has OU jumping 2 spots (from #4 to #2) with a victory over OSU and Texas remaining at #1 in his poll. I'm hopeful the other computers see it the same way.

Iam4OUru
11/23/2008, 10:37 PM
I wonder if OSU, ever so eager to be the spoiler, is excited to be our springboard to success.

:P

noobalicious
11/23/2008, 11:00 PM
I'm sorry but that's BS. No way should anything, computer or human, have Tech or Utah ranked ahead of us. No wonder we're getting screwed...

TopDawg
11/23/2008, 11:14 PM
I'm sorry but that's BS.

Said the people of Austin after seeing the AP, Coaches and Harris polls.