PDA

View Full Version : Gators bruised by Citadel game

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 08:20 PM
Even playing these mis-match games can be costly. I must assume that had a scheduling problem that forced them to play this game late in the season. I'm sure the Gators would have rather played it early and gotten a bye week to get healthy.
------------------
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida could be without two defensive lineman against rival Florida State on Saturday.

Lawrence Marsh and Matt Patchan injured their left knees during Saturday's 70-19 victory over The Citadel. Coach Urban Meyer said Sunday that Patchan would not play against the Seminoles and called Marsh questionable for the game.

Marsh, a sophomore defensive tackle who has started all 11 games and has 21 tackles and three sacks, sprained the medial collateral ligament in his knee on the first play against The Citadel. Patchan, a freshman who has played in every game, suffered the same injury late. He has seven tackles and 1.5 sacks.

"Matt's sprain is a little more severe than Marsh's," Meyer said. "He's got an MCL sprain that's going to take some time to heal."

The Gators hope to get reserve defensive end Duke Lemmens back against Florida State. Lemmens missed Saturday's game because of stingers.

yermom
11/23/2008, 08:55 PM
the hurricane caused them to postpone the game, it was supposed to be in September, i believe

Scott D
11/23/2008, 09:03 PM
I swear the SEC has a contract that says "One of our 12 teams MUST schedule a home game against the Citadel every season."

StormySooner-IN
11/23/2008, 09:08 PM
the hurricane caused them to postpone the game, it was supposed to be in September, i believe
Nope....that was LSU and Troy.

This was the set date,

bluedogok
11/23/2008, 09:17 PM
Since the SEC starts some conference games earlier than most everyone else, they end up with some of the "filler" games late in the season.

Johnny Utah
11/23/2008, 10:04 PM
Since the SEC starts some conference games earlier than most everyone else, they end up with some of the "filler" games late in the season.

Plus a number of them had a bye week, including Bama and UGA. Could the byes and the "filler" games be to potentially avoid the fatal "late in the season loss"?

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 10:20 PM
We just had a bye week too as did many teams around the country.

RedstickSooner
11/24/2008, 08:44 AM
We had a good excuse when we scheduled a 1-AA team, but a lot of the SEC teams schedule such creampuffs on purpose. Once they removed the heavy emphasis on strength of schedule from the BCS, lots of teams backslid to their pathetic, patsy-scheduling ways.

I've always felt OOC schedule should be handled at least in part by the NCAA, to force some quality competition on teams. It's ludicrous how little cross-conference play we get due to teams hunting in the bargain-basement aisle to ensure a home game against a horrible opponent.

Maybe they could fix it by capping how many home games each team could have at 7 per season. If you've got to take a home and away series, it's a lot harder to justify playing someone like Troy or the Citadel, y'know?

Iam4OUru
11/24/2008, 09:27 AM
LSU had 8 home games this season. I think that's because their non-conference foes do not have stadiums.:D

Scott D
11/24/2008, 10:36 AM
We had a good excuse when we scheduled a 1-AA team, but a lot of the SEC teams schedule such creampuffs on purpose. Once they removed the heavy emphasis on strength of schedule from the BCS, lots of teams backslid to their pathetic, patsy-scheduling ways.

I've always felt OOC schedule should be handled at least in part by the NCAA, to force some quality competition on teams. It's ludicrous how little cross-conference play we get due to teams hunting in the bargain-basement aisle to ensure a home game against a horrible opponent.

Maybe they could fix it by capping how many home games each team could have at 7 per season. If you've got to take a home and away series, it's a lot harder to justify playing someone like Troy or the Citadel, y'know?

Troy *has* beaten Missouri and Pokey State in recent years.

LSUdeek
11/24/2008, 10:39 AM
Troy *has* beaten Missouri and Pokey State in recent years.

And took LSU to the end in both 2004 and 2008. :D

Troy != Citadel

Scott D
11/24/2008, 11:12 AM
and I have to take back what I said about the SEC scheduling the Citadel every year. It's only 1 team every 2 years ;)