PDA

View Full Version : THAT was Oklahoma Football

OKC-SLC
11/23/2008, 03:36 PM
What a game, for sure, but I get the sense that something happened last night which is bigger than the standard undressing of TT we tend to do annually (the last two trips to Lubbock notwithstanding).

This sense I got reminds me in a way of the feeling I got after TGOWWDNS. I came away from that game with the fear--nay, knowledge--that something had changed. We were no longer bulletproof. Bob didn't walk on water after all. We could be blown out just like everyone else. Since that time the program hasn't been the same. The players have seemed as a whole not to have 'it', whatever 'it' is. Bob seems to have lost an edge. Even the fans have developed what I'd describe as a cautious optimism about big games rather than the confidence we had before that night.

I think a switch turned off that night in Miami. And even after big wins of the Texas and Mizzou and CCG variety since that night, it still feels like the switch has been off.

But last night it's like the good old days all over again. We had two weeks of anticipation, of listening to talking heads rag on the Sooners, of hearing again and again how losing to Ole Miss at home is of much higher quality than losing to UT in Dallas. The whole world was watching and they saw OU play in a way I'm not sure they have since Mike. They played smart, consistently seeming to be in position and creating big plays on D. The execution and wantto by the O line was a sight to behold. The crowd and players and coaches seemed to be one group last night. God and everybody saw what Sooner football is all about.

Maybe we'll win at OSU next week, and with some fortune we'll play and beat Mizzou in the CCG. And maybe we'll even play for and win all the marbles. And maybe we won't, we'll see.

But wouldn't it be nice to take a Sooner team to the scene of the crime in Miami and show the world that OU has turned the switch back on? Because damn, it sure felt like we did last night. And it can't be put it into words, but every one of you knows what I'm talking about.

CatfishSooner
11/23/2008, 03:37 PM
Amen...

soonersweetie
11/23/2008, 03:40 PM
You're right, last night is very hard to put into words. Everything was perfect. The game plan, the execution, the weather, the fans, just everything. I do think something happened last night in that stadium that was magical. And it wasn't just beating Texas Tech. It was big time Sooner Football, big time Sooner players, big time Coach Bob.

Nice to have it back!

I sure hope we get to Miami!

SteelCitySooner
11/23/2008, 03:41 PM
Completely agree. Good post!

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 03:42 PM
best game we played since last years big 12 ship..

we looked scary last night

Iam4OUru
11/23/2008, 03:43 PM
OMG! Great post, bro. Here comes the goose bumps again.

MyT Oklahoma
11/23/2008, 04:15 PM
Very well written post because what you wrote was right on the money. All things considered though.. ain't it still great to be a Sooner fan?

boomersooner2001
11/23/2008, 04:27 PM
Great post! I stood in my seat after the game was over, and watched the section over by the gameday set chanting "Sam for Hesiman", the players were high fiving everyone, Bob saluting us, and I couldn't help but feel that something special was taking place. In fact, I asked my friends if they felt the same thing. They agreed.

That was hands down the most fun I've ever had at a game.

SoonerJack
11/23/2008, 04:49 PM
didn't get to be there, but watching on tv and listening to Bob and Merv was awesome. I just couldn't believe how loud it was. The fans were amazing.

the funniest parts of the evening were when the tv broadcast would show that one tceh defender that wears the face paint. Dude, nothing funnier than a guy in face paint who is getting pants'd by the opposing offense on nat'l tv.

aero
11/23/2008, 04:49 PM
Wow OKC, you put into words about what I had subconsciously been thinking. That brought back a lot of feelings I think a lot of us had been missing. It seemed as though we could have won the game with just the way the rb's were running, or with just the way the secondary was covering, or with just the way the receivers were catching and blocking, or with just Sam, or even with just the way the crowd was carrying the evening. To be honest,the crowd was the first thing I noticed. I was so proud of the image the crowd sent across the country last night. Yes, that was Oklahoma football and I'm ready for more. Boomer Sooner.

oumartin
11/23/2008, 05:36 PM
I envy all 85,000 that were in attendance. I had to work and almost took vacation so I could go try to scalp a ticket or two. It certainly appeared to be a special night in that stadium.

SoonerSnareMom
11/23/2008, 05:38 PM
We were at the game last night and can't remember when we've had more fun! Anybody know when it will be rebroadcast so we can watch it again? Thanks! Boomer Sooner!

Wishboned
11/23/2008, 05:42 PM
I would love to have a copy of the game.

I've only been to 4 OU games in person, but this by far was the greatest feeling.

Sooner13
11/23/2008, 05:50 PM
We were at the game last night and can't remember when we've had more fun! Anybody know when it will be rebroadcast so we can watch it again? Thanks! Boomer Sooner!

The game comes on again tonight at 6:30 I believe on ESPNU.

BornandBred
11/23/2008, 05:52 PM
I completely agree. I think we got tired of hearing doubters. We played with an attitude we haven't had since early in the Stoops era.

soonerboy
11/23/2008, 05:54 PM
SOONER MAGIC IS BACK MY GOOD SIRS!!!

OU-HSV
11/23/2008, 05:59 PM
What a game, for sure, but I get the sense that something happened last night which is bigger than the standard undressing of TT we tend to do annually (the last two trips to Lubbock notwithstanding).

This sense I got reminds me in a way of the feeling I got after TGOWWDNS. I came away from that game with the fear--nay, knowledge--that something had changed. We were no longer bulletproof. Bob didn't walk on water after all. We could be blown out just like everyone else. Since that time the program hasn't been the same. The players have seemed as a whole not to have 'it', whatever 'it' is. Bob seems to have lost an edge. Even the fans have developed what I'd describe as a cautious optimism about big games rather than the confidence we had before that night.

I think a switch turned off that night in Miami. And even after big wins of the Texas and Mizzou and CCG variety since that night, it still feels like the switch has been off.

But last night it's like the good old days all over again. We had two weeks of anticipation, of listening to talking heads rag on the Sooners, of hearing again and again how losing to Ole Miss at home is of much higher quality than losing to UT in Dallas. The whole world was watching and they saw OU play in a way I'm not sure they have since Mike. They played smart, consistently seeming to be in position and creating big plays on D. The execution and wantto by the O line was a sight to behold. The crowd and players and coaches seemed to be one group last night. God and everybody saw what Sooner football is all about.

Maybe we'll win at OSU next week, and with some fortune we'll play and beat Mizzou in the CCG. And maybe we'll even play for and win all the marbles. And maybe we won't, we'll see.

But wouldn't it be nice to take a Sooner team to the scene of the crime in Miami and show the world that OU has turned the switch back on? Because damn, it sure felt like we did last night. And it can't be put it into words, but every one of you knows what I'm talking about.

Post reported..................................

............for being so damn well stated. :D

It certainly felt like there was some Sooner Magic mojo floating around in the air in the stadium last night.
Big win, now let's keep rolling.

Vaevictis
11/23/2008, 06:04 PM
I haven't felt euphoria and excitement from the crowd like that since the FSU game. There were people at the game saying that they haven't seen a crowd like that since the 1971 Nebraska game.

That was the most perfect game I've ever seen, in terms of the players and the crowd. Tech converts a fourth down? No problem, we're back to yelling our fool heads off a second and a half later. McCoy down and the crowd listless with worry? No problem -- coming off the field, McCoy pumps his arms and the crowd roars. Up by 21? Crowd still screaming, players still jumping. Up by 40? Everyone's still in it.

That game was perfection.

oumartin
11/23/2008, 06:07 PM
did tech convert a fourth down? :D

wileyousooner
11/23/2008, 06:12 PM
Oklahoma handed Texas Tech a first loss so ugly it may require plastic surgery. I read this in the LA Times. It was just a hilarious observation from somone outside the state.

Vaevictis
11/23/2008, 06:15 PM
did tech convert a fourth down? :D

Yes, once or twice :)

A-M
11/23/2008, 07:23 PM
I envy all (85,000) 85,644 that were in attendance. I had to work and almost took vacation so I could go try to scalp a ticket or two. It certainly appeared to be a special night in that stadium.

Fixed it. We set a record with 85,644 according to the announcers on TV.

Guys and Gals, its called SOONER MAGIC and I hope we keep it to finish out the season! Cause if we do, we will win #8 and that would make me a very happy camper.

jdsooner
11/23/2008, 08:58 PM
It's appropriate that an LA newspaper talked about plastic surgery.

I was there last night and it was the best I have experienced since 2000.
I went up the steps to the bathroom after an OU touchdown and people gave me high fives as I walked to the bathroom! The atmosphere was electric!

Sooner02
11/23/2008, 09:42 PM
How big of an affect on recruits do you think this game had? I know if I was a prospect, it would sway me bigtime to be a Sooner.

OKC-SLC
11/23/2008, 09:51 PM
Clay Horning in the Transcript had a line that sums it up in a way:

"OU never left and yet it feels like the Sooners are back."

http://www.normantranscript.com/ousports/local_story_328020133.html

Sooner02
11/23/2008, 09:56 PM
As great as the win was for the program and fans, I'm not going to be satisfied till we finally get the BCS monkey off our back. That's just me.

Johnny Utah
11/23/2008, 10:00 PM
Post of the week ... or maybe post of the season!