PDA

View Full Version : Did we beat 'em so bad.....

Iam4OUru
11/23/2008, 11:13 AM
...that it makes Tech's win over UT look like an absolute fluke? Are we that much better than a team that beat UT?

My guess is that this will pass through the (somewhat feeble) minds of the voters as they fill out their ballots today. That, along with the fact that OU lost to Texas, will keep the Sooners from jumping the Horns. Maybe next week.

oumartin
11/23/2008, 11:15 AM
I presented this a few days back.. I said anything over 21 or under 10 would hurt OU.

under 10 it appears it was home field advantage
over 21 Tech appears to be a pretender

StoopTroup
11/23/2008, 11:15 AM
...that it makes Tech's win over UT look like an absolute fluke?

yes.

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 11:21 AM
But Tech had a 19pt lead at one time in the game. They also held UT to under 400 yds. If they hadn't given up the punt return and *totally* blown coverage on that 90 yard pass play, the game may not have even been close.

Remember, before RR got hurt in our game, we were handing to UT. It was 21-10 and we were moving the ball at will and UT was having trouble. Their lone TD was a kick return. Our D is just now returning to the level it was back then and the offense is better - DeMarco wasn't recovered back then. I think we are a fair amount better than UT right now.

Iam4OUru
11/23/2008, 11:23 AM
I recall that, Martin, and I think you were all over it. I think they'll look back at the dropped int that would have sealed the deal for UT and they'll say there's no way Tech should have won that game. I think 10/11 carries the most weight, tho.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/23/2008, 11:24 AM
But Tech had a 19pt lead at one time in the game. They also held UT to under 400 yds. If they hadn't given up the punt return and *totally* blown coverage on that 90 yard pass play, the game may not have even been close.

Remember, before RR got hurt in our game, we were handing to UT. It was 21-10 and we were moving the ball at will and UT was having trouble. Their lone TD was a kick return. Our D is just now returning to the level it was back then and the offense is better - DeMarco wasn't recovered back then. I think we are a fair amount better than UT right now.We ain't the ones need convincing!

fadada1
11/23/2008, 11:24 AM
hard to say, but think about this: while there were other games on at the same time as ours (espn, espn2), this was the game most wanted to see. i would think that 1- most sports writers watched our game and 2 - most coaches probably caught some/most of our game as well. aside from those individuals with a clear bias/hatred to OU, you would HOPE that most intelligent, college educated people would see this as an OU win and not a tech loss.

tech is still a very good team that achieved a #2 ranking for a reason. i would even suggest that tech was prepared for this game, they just got outplayed/outcoached in every way imaginable. i hope, for our sake, voters will see that and use logic when voting. if the computers start using logic, we have bigger problems on our hands... like terminators returning from the future to kill unsuspecting mothers to the savior of humanity.

Iam4OUru
11/23/2008, 11:26 AM

Remember, before RR got hurt in our game, we were handing to UT. It was 21-10 and we were moving the ball at will and UT was having trouble. Their lone TD was a kick return. Our D is just now returning to the level it was back then and the offense is better - DeMarco wasn't recovered back then. I think we are a fair amount better than UT right now.

Yep, Shipley's return was the turning point in a game that was pretty much Sooner-dominated. I hope this is taken into consideration, also.

Iam4OUru
11/23/2008, 11:29 AM
you would HOPE that most intelligent, college educated people would see this as an OU win and not a tech loss.

One would think...........:rolleyes:

StoopTroup
11/23/2008, 11:29 AM

I don't think many OU fans forget any of that...it's the folks that get a say in the polls that forgot.

That's why I think it's good to talk about on the boards.

Maybe...just maybe...some of this stuff will spill out into the mainstream and remind the ones that count that we had a major player go out when the whorns turned the game around on us in Dallas.

We have recovered on Defense and on Offense IMO.

What is occurring IMO is similar to the 2000 Season. Going into stoolwater we were undeafeated back then but we were banged up and every guy on our team was rising to the occasion and playing their asses off. I think we've been doing that every week since the loss to the whorns.

This years Team is on-fire even more than the 2000 Team IMO.

I sure hope they keep this intensity going. If they do and we get a shot at the MNC...I think we can take it.

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 11:32 AM
But we scored right after the Shipley return, so I don't think that turned the game. RR got hurt on their next possession and we could not get their O off the field after that. We gave up the next 10 pts with RR running around with 1 knee and most the second half with him on the bench. It was like 2 different teams that game and it has taken 4 games and 5 weeks to recover.

Iam4OUru
11/23/2008, 11:33 AM
I am very proud of our guys and I'm staying optimistic but it appears it boils down to one thing.....

we lost to the wrong damn team.

fadada1
11/23/2008, 11:35 AM
One would think...........:rolleyes:

you know what i mean:D :D :D

StoopTroup
11/23/2008, 11:36 AM
But we scored right after the Shipley return, so I don't think that turned the game. RR got hurt on their next possession and we could not get their O off the field after that. We gave up the next 10 pts with RR running around with 1 knee and most the second half with him on the bench. It was like 2 different teams that game and it has taken 4 games and 5 weeks to recover.

Yep. It's hard to replace the Leader on your Defense. That's been my point since the RRSO. Things seem to be more in order now. Anyone that thinks the whorns could take us again in Dallas next week, if it was played, hasn't been watching OU and texas play since the RRSO was played. OU is definitely a better team now and the whorns aren't.

nytehorn
11/23/2008, 12:05 PM
You are right ST. Ou has gotten healthy, and we have sustained some nagging injuries. AS bad as I hate to admit it, OU and Florida are playing at a level higher than everyone else right now, and barring something crazy, they should be the teams in the MNC game.

noobalicious
11/23/2008, 12:11 PM
I think this makes the RRS look like a fluke honestly. What was our next closest game? We have absolutely obliterated everyone but Texas.

If I was filling out a ballot, I'd be thinking "man, other than that one Texas game, which OU led a lot of the way and was a dogfight, I can't think of one other time they've even been challenged".

Not to mention we completely dominated the team that dominated Texas, and then just happened to let them right back into the game.

Perspective though...
Win against OSU, and we're all but assured of a BCS bowl game, either as an at large or playing in the Big 12 championship game and perhaps getting to the Fiesta Bowl. The game we just played sealed a BCS spot, barring another loss.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 12:12 PM
We just beat the number 1 ranked team in the computer percent of the polls by 44 points.

sortiz1965
11/23/2008, 12:20 PM
This defense is evolving right before our eyes, and that is why I don't put much credence in the adage that OU will have oh-so-much trouble with OSU. The intensity, the drive, the determination I saw last night, if it carries on to Stillwater and beyond, will be enough for OU to win and win impressively. The offense is playing with surgical precision; if the defense continues to step up, this team will be very difficult to contain, much less defeat. And to those worried that OSU has such a balanced offense, guess what: the OU defense practices every day against a balanced offensive juggernaut themselves.

KingBarry
11/23/2008, 12:22 PM
Relevant points:

1. Oklahoma has gotten better every week since mid-October, Texas appears to have weakened. At best they've stayed flat.

2. You shouldn't blindly give it to Texas based on head-to-head, or you have to give it to Texas Tech as they beat Texas. Oh, wait, but then we beat Tech. Go around again. Point being you have to look for something else.

3. Head to head was two months before the end of the season.

4. If head to head determined it, we would have played Miami in the 2001 Orange Bowl.

5. Sooners Rock. Texas sucks.

6. If Texas gets the higher BCS ranking, "Go Mizzou!" Texas is due for some big time under performing. I would pull for A&M, but that seems a little bit hopeless.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 12:23 PM
What if the aggies can play them close

noobalicious
11/23/2008, 12:40 PM
The latest bowl projection from CBS has OU-Fla NC, with USC-Texass Fiesta.

IMO those would be awesome matchups and I hope that's how it shakes out. We need the Beavers to win the civil war and set up USC for an at large. Fiesta will likely get a replacement pick (from the top 2 teams), and be the first BCS bowl to select an at-large.

Basically the NC game and Fiesta Bowl are setting up to be epic, whatever happens.

cvsooner
11/23/2008, 01:10 PM
Asking the Aggies to pull off the upset for the third year in a row is asking a bit much.

KingBarry
11/24/2008, 03:50 AM
The latest bowl projection from CBS has OU-Fla NC, with USC-Texass Fiesta.

IMO those would be awesome matchups and I hope that's how it shakes out. We need the Beavers to win the civil war and set up USC for an at large. Fiesta will likely get a replacement pick (from the top 2 teams), and be the first BCS bowl to select an at-large.

Basically the NC game and Fiesta Bowl are setting up to be epic, whatever happens.

I don't want USC and Texas to play each other in a bowl. Basically, if I am watching a bowl game involving one of these teams, my only interest is to see them lose.

if they are playing each other -- there's just nothing in that for me. At least one of them WOULD lose.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/24/2008, 10:32 AM
I don't want USC and Texas to play each other in a bowl. Basically, if I am watching a bowl game involving one of these teams, my only interest is to see them lose.

if they are playing each other -- there's just nothing in that for me. At least one of them WOULD lose.That's the beauty of a tx-suc matchup. No matter how it turns out, one of those vile institutions would bite the dust, er turf.

BoulderSooner79
11/24/2008, 11:08 AM
An interesting survey would be to poll the coaches informally and ask them which team would they dread playing right now. I think they would strongly put OU and UF as #1 and #2 (or #2 and #1) right now. I think there would be a fair drop to #3 and it would probably be USC because no one knows how there offense would react to such a stout defense. Then it would be close between UT and 'Bama behind that.

KingBarry
11/24/2008, 12:01 PM
I'm starting to think the whole "head-to-head" debate is predicated solely on which teams will bring the biggest TV markets -- and that the media wants Texas and Florida (unless USC can miraculously make it in) for that reason alone.