PDA

View Full Version : before you get too geeked up about the Defense

oumartin
11/23/2008, 11:12 AM
lets remember this.

Harrell is a pocket passer who basically has 5 WR running routes on any given play. Stoops understands Leachs system.
They basically play w/o a tight end

Now next week. Mobile QB, 2 good running backs, 1 bad *** WR and 1 bad *** T.E.

OSU will have to score 50 points to win but anything is possible

Boomer.....
11/23/2008, 11:22 AM
You still have got to give them a lot of credit. They played great against the 3 best offense in the nation and really only allowed 14 points.

oumartin
11/23/2008, 11:24 AM
not taking anything away from that performance. nothing at all..
I'm reserving judgment on their progress until after the OSU game..

fadada1
11/23/2008, 11:28 AM
agreed, martin. i hope the coaches put the same amount of preparation into this coming week as last night.

StoopTroup
11/23/2008, 11:40 AM
lets remember this.

Harrell is a pocket passer who basically has 5 WR running routes on any given play. Stoops understands Leachs system.
They basically play w/o a tight end

Now next week. Mobile QB, 2 good running backs, 1 bad *** WR and 1 bad *** T.E.

OSU will have to score 50 points to win but anything is possible

Some folks are slow to come around...but I have faith in your martin. If it takes you an extra game...I understand.

See you here next week and we'll talk more.

Take care man. :D ;)

oumartin
11/23/2008, 11:44 AM
well I hope you are right and I am wrong but that game has trouble written all over it...

However I do not think they can stop the OU offense.

StoopTroup
11/23/2008, 11:47 AM
well I hope you are right and I am wrong but that game has trouble written all over it...

However I do not think they can stop the OU offense.

I'm stoked about the stoolwater game.

I'm gonna drive up there and root OUr boys on the same as I did in 2000. What I'm hoping for is to see OUr Team hang a 100 instead of just hang a "W" like they did back then.

If Tech can take them apart like they did...we should too.

Hope Bob can keep up the intesity.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 11:49 AM
It don't matter. We have to give lots of credit to BV, we stopped tech on the first for drives, we didn't get lucky, we were flat out good.

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 11:53 AM
I think the D has been pretty solid the last 3 games, but it was tough to say against weak foes like NU and aTm. Now I'm more convinced. But Tech is very much a "scheme" offense and OU knows that scheme pretty well. OSU is much more diverse and will be harder to stop. Plus, they will have 2 weeks to prepare for us and we have the usual one. But the OSU defense should not stand a chance against our O if we just play efficiently. When OSU got behind Tech, they completely fell apart.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 11:55 AM
BV made me smile for the first time, since last big 12 ship

sortiz1965
11/23/2008, 12:06 PM
The calculus is simple: OU must beat OSU impressively in order to sway the voters and step in front of ut. So, the job is not only to win, but win impressively.

OK2LA
11/23/2008, 12:11 PM
The calculus is simple: OU must beat OSU impressively in order to sway the voters and step in front of ut. So, the job is not only to win, but win impressively.

I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong. Our biggest argument was made last night. We beat the #2 team in the nation - that just beat tejas 2 weeks ago. This win either pushes us over tejas, or it doesn't - I don't think the osu win will carry more weight than tech.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 12:20 PM
His ONLY argument - UT beat OU. Ok, if that's the case, then TT should be ahead of UT...dumbest argument in the history of CFB.

Because it's a 3 way tie and not a 2 way tie. If it comes down between OU and Texas, Texas gets the nod. But it's not, it's between OU, TTU, and Texas.

Bottom line: if OU beats OSU next week in a convincing manner (better than Texas' 4 pt win over OSU at home), OU goes.

No matter what, OU or Texas will get royally screwed!

soonerfan28
11/23/2008, 12:24 PM
I think that the OSU win will carry as much weight if not more because Texas barely beat OSU at home and we have to go to OSU and play. We win big we make the jump.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 12:29 PM
I don't think it will matter, we will be number 2 in a couple hours.

aero
11/23/2008, 12:57 PM
I heard all of the announcers making excuses for why OU azzraped tt - OU knows there schemes, its on the road, OU had 2 weeks to prepare (well, so did tt), and on and on. They couldn't just come out and say that OU was actually just that good. I don't care how you slice it, that was a great defensive performance against a very potent offense. I felt a little uneasy early in the week about the game, then on Thursday I had this warm, fuzzy feeling (no, not the usual one) that we were going to do well. Besides, I thought, we're OU and they're Tech. On Friday one of my UT friends was telling me he hoped we one and I said its in the bag. I'm still feeling it about the OSU game.

Rogue
11/23/2008, 12:59 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124968

I put some stats and thoughts in here that are relevant in this thread.

mdklatt
11/23/2008, 01:22 PM

Even if we can keep Bryant in check, Pettigrew is going to do bad bad things to us. The middle was available for dink, dink, dink last night--don't know why Tech didn't stick with that. The good news is that Robinson seems to be a chucker, not a passer--he throws long bombs up for grabs for Bryant, but isn't very accurate with short passes. Of course, chuck-and-catch to Rashaun Woods ate us alive. Robinson can scramble, too, so no flag football tackling from the DL, please.

soonerfan28
11/23/2008, 01:28 PM
If I'm not mistaken don't we get English back this week.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 01:29 PM
That would be nice.

mdklatt
11/23/2008, 01:38 PM
I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong. Our biggest argument was made last night. We beat the #2 team in the nation - that just beat tejas 2 weeks ago.

Tech was clearly not the #2 team in the nation before last night.

East Coast Bias
11/23/2008, 02:04 PM
Remember what Bob said last night? "We didn't do anything but the basics, pressure the QB, cover the routes and tackle." If our defense does what they did last night OSU's system will fall apart as well. I personally think it will be easier to throttle OSU, because if we stop their run, the house falls in on them. The QB's mobility could pose a problem, but last night we had good pressure from all the angles...

aurorasooner
11/23/2008, 02:34 PM
That was a complete beat-down of the Tech offense by our Defense last night. But Tech still ended up with over 400 yards TO and GH still had impressive stats 33/55 361 yards and 3 TDs. That's hard for me to believe that even with our great defensive effort that they still managed 400 yards which will skew our defensive stats. The Big 12 South this year is a tough place to coach for a DC, and it doesn't look like it's going to get any easier in the coming years.

soonerfan28
11/23/2008, 02:40 PM
Yea its amazing what Bradford could have done had he thrown it 25 time and it took Harrell 55 attempts.

mdklatt
11/23/2008, 02:45 PM
Yea its amazing what Bradford could have done had he thrown it 25 time and it took Harrell 55 attempts.

I think the most amazing stat is Bradford...only 14/19 for 300 yards. YAC, baby!

ashley
11/23/2008, 03:00 PM
Why does it always seem to be the coaches falut?

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 03:05 PM

But that rule is in effect every year against aggie :D :D

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 03:08 PM
That was a complete beat-down of the Tech offense by our Defense last night. But Tech still ended up with over 400 yards TO and GH still had impressive stats 33/55 361 yards and 3 TDs. That's hard for me to believe that even with our great defensive effort that they still managed 400 yards which will skew our defensive stats. The Big 12 South this year is a tough place to coach for a DC, and it doesn't look like it's going to get any easier in the coming years.

Harrell only had 150yds at half and was behind by 5 TDs - the game was over. The got 99 of their yards on that last scoring drive when we had a mix of bench players in the game.

Leroy Lizard
11/23/2008, 03:34 PM
I'm worried about OSU's running backs. Any poor tackling on OU's part could allow OSU to use the run to set up the pass. Not good.

sooner2b09
11/23/2008, 03:37 PM
But can there O-Line stop our D-Line, cause last night they looked unstoppable. Harrell has 9 sacks on the season now, going into the game he had 5.