PDA

View Full Version : Did Leach take stupid lessons from Les?

stoopified
11/23/2008, 10:34 AM
Watching last nights game sure made me think so.He kept going for it on fourth down and it kept blowing up in his face.My favorite was the failed end-around.In addition the onside kicks were fun to watch.I think we sunk Mike's pirate ship,made him walk the plank.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/23/2008, 10:39 AM
yeah, i think mike let his pride get to him last night. i understand that he doesn't like to punt and has confidence in his teams ability to pick up first downs, but come-on. when you see a defense that is absolutley dsmantling your offense, don't be stupid. he gave up field position numerous times for that crap and it bit him in the a$$.

trwxxa
11/23/2008, 10:58 AM
Leach realized that going for it on 4th down was the only way they were going to keep up.

Leroy Lizard
11/23/2008, 10:58 AM
Punting the ball to Bradford and Murray would have done what for his chances? OU at one point had scored touchdowns on 5 of 6 possessions. And the one time they didn't was because of a 15-yard penalty.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/23/2008, 11:08 AM
Leach realized that going for it on 4th down was the only way they were going to keep up.IMO, too

stoopified
11/23/2008, 11:16 AM
Leach realized that going for it on 4th down was the only way they were going to keep up.Actually they had no hope of keeping up.The only hope they had was to make the gfinal score less ugly.

cvsooner
11/23/2008, 01:37 PM
The only thing keeping Tech with any hope whatsoever was the stupid penalties.

2k2 c5
11/23/2008, 02:18 PM
If you are going to take lessons, you should always try to study with the master.

bcgvh
11/23/2008, 02:21 PM
He did the right thing...it didn't matter if he'd punted or not, cause OU was going to score no matter where they got the ball.

RedstickSooner
11/23/2008, 02:31 PM
Once he saw his defense had collapsed, he pretty much gave up.

How many millions a year did we cost him last night?

mdklatt
11/23/2008, 02:32 PM
I thought it was smart. I liked the onside kick after halftime, too. Why not? A loss by 1 counts the same as a loss by 50, right? He knew he wasn't going to win that game by settling for punts and field goals. I'm surprised he didn't go for 2 after each of the touchdowns.

Think about it. By going for it on 4th down, you're giving your offense 25% more plays. It has to be frustrating as hell for a defense, too. It completely disrupts the normal rhythm of the game. They're thinking, "okay, big stop on 3rd and long, it's Gatorade time". Then the other team refuses to quit and you've got to do it all over again. It's tough on the crowd, too. There were several times we had them stopped convincingly on third down, but then they converted on 4th down and you could feel everyone deflate just a little bit.

DarrellZero
11/23/2008, 02:35 PM
I've thought about this and it makes some sort of sense.

Whether you lose by fourteen or forty, it's still just one loss, might as well go down with guns a'blazin'.

OTOH, it does take psychological toll on your defense after a while. For that reason alone, I don't think Stoops would ever do this.

Vaevictis
11/23/2008, 02:50 PM
No, he doesn't take stupid lessons from Les.

It's just part of his philosophy. He goes for it on fourth a hell of a lot more than any other coach, and it makes perfect sense because his offense is always much better than his defense.

Seriously, if you were Mike Leach, who would you rather put the game on?

Vaevictis
11/23/2008, 02:54 PM
It's tough on the crowd, too. There were several times we had them stopped convincingly on third down, but then they converted on 4th down and you could feel everyone deflate just a little bit.

Hell, I don't know about your section last night, but in mine, that deflation lasted for about a second and a half.

I was back up and screaming within about a second, and then everyone was within a half second of that.