PDA

View Full Version : Does CFB have a QB "in the grasp" rule like the NFL?

aurorasooner
11/23/2008, 03:01 AM
Or do you have to get the QB to the ground? OU leading 7-0. We have "Harrell in the grasp" but he throws a back-handed pass towards the sidelines and actually has a receiver real close to the ball, but the official was already signaling that GH was down, "in the grasp". I didn't know CFB had an "in the grasp" type rule like the NFL. I remember thinking at the time that they're going to throw the flag for IG, but they'll pick it up, on review. BTW, pretty heady thinking on GH's part.

budbarrybob
11/23/2008, 03:12 AM
No, but a player can be ruled down when his forward momentum has stopped. In this case, he had definitely established a pattern of backward momentum as a result of the Defensive player wanting to show GH he ain't no the "leading" heisman candidate any longer :)

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 03:13 AM
I thought it was a bad call and it should have just been incomplete. I don't think there is an "in the grasp" rule, but any play can be stopped after forward momentum is stopped. You see running backs getting driven backwards all the time and the whistle blown even though they never go down.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/23/2008, 04:34 AM
Well there has to be some sort of compromise in these situations. If the D-Lineman buries him after carrying him back 4 yards...he is getting 15 yards so the logical assumption is to stop the play so he doesn't have to get that penalty

randu
11/23/2008, 09:39 AM
If they had not ruled him down could that have been considered a fumble? His arm wasn't moving forward =D

fadada1
11/23/2008, 09:45 AM
i thought it would be called intentional grounding. but i suppose his RB was semi-near the despiration "oh crap, i'm dead" toss into outerspace.

achiro
11/23/2008, 10:13 AM
Looked like he complained to the ref about play being stopped early because a few plays later when 10 OU defenders had him by the balls he looked up at the ref like, "stop the play already!" :D

StoopTroup
11/23/2008, 10:18 AM
Everybody said we'd have to pressure him.

OUr front fOUr did a great job IMO.

I thought it was an outstanding performance.

Austin Box is really stepping up. I can't wait to see what he's going to do for us next year. Good job AB!

yermom
11/23/2008, 10:22 AM
i was thinking they called that a fumble

did they call it a sack?

oumartin
11/23/2008, 10:23 AM
Are you sure he didn't actually have a knee down. I'm not sure but the way the official was acting it was hard to tell what his logic was.

It was definately a desperation move on GH part but after seeing that smirk on his face prior to the game I was glad he got rilly dirty

yermom
11/23/2008, 11:06 AM
he wasn't down, they showed the replay at the game pretty clearly

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 11:14 AM
The replay showed his knee never went down and he got rid of the ball before he was totally wrapped up - but it was close. I think is was a heads-up play by Harrell and he should have gotten the incomplete call he was after, but it was not a terrible call by the ref. - just judgment to protect a player.

randu
11/23/2008, 03:24 PM
What is the definition of a "forward pass"? The way the ref was pointing to the ground it reminded me of when someone fumbles and they call him down. I was wondering if him throwing it backwards (relative to his body, not the field) if it would have been a fumble if he was not declared down.

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 03:32 PM
The ref was definitely pointing like he was already down, so it would negate the toss no matter what. But the replay showed the pass went forward and it was on-line to his RB out there. I thought it was a heady play by Harrell, but not a terrible call because he was wrapped up. Just a judgment thing.