PDA

View Full Version : On the polls tomorrow, by Bob Stoops

sendbaht
11/23/2008, 01:28 AM
“The logic of whether to put us in front of Texas? If you can’t do that because they beat us, then you’ve got to keep Texas Tech in front of Texas. What’s logical for one is logical for the other.” Bob Stoops

This does make sence, don't you think?

OK2LA
11/23/2008, 01:33 AM
I'm incence(d)?

Curly Bill
11/23/2008, 01:34 AM
Let the rankings politics begin. :D

aurorasooner
11/23/2008, 01:40 AM
I don't know. For our team and coaches, forget about the freakin' polls and worry about the aggies. Let the fans fight about the polls on the message boards.

Jewstin
11/23/2008, 01:41 AM
PRECISELY.

There's a lot of crap being flung about. At this point in the year, we're usually hearing jive about how late losses trump early losses, which team is playing better football, etc. ... and now, somehow, that no longer applies at all (or, at least, only applies to Florida, and not OU).

I'll give Texas credit for managing to get back in the game against us and win after Reynolds went down, but you've gotta be livin' on freaking Pluto to think OU isn't playing better at this point. Does home-field advantage account for a 38 point net difference in points? Texas got drubbed by Tech during the first 50 minutes of that game. Was that all home-field advantage, too?

Ugh. This crap gives me a headache.

But, hey ... we curbstomp OSU next week like we're clearly capable of doing, and the discussion is absolutely over.

It *should* be over this week, but sadly, it won't be.

tommieharris91
11/23/2008, 01:48 AM
It's true. It's a circular cluster**** for the Big XII South title. I think pollsters should look at the entire body of work of all three schools in deciding this.

ARW3
11/23/2008, 01:49 AM
unfortunately, our annihilation of tech makes the ut/tt game look like a fluke.

tommieharris91
11/23/2008, 01:51 AM

HOPE

kelloggOUballa
Or it just proves how bad Texas sucks. Keep in mind, Tech also blew out an OSU squad that was a couple plays away from winning in Austin.

tommieharris91

It also makes the OU/Texass game look like a fluke.

OU_Sooners75
11/23/2008, 02:07 AM

Or does it make the Texas win over OU look like a fluke?

budbarrybob
11/23/2008, 03:49 AM
Or it just proves how bad Texas sucks. Keep in mind, Tech also blew out an OSU squad that was a couple plays away from winning in Austin.

That will conclude my closing argument, your honor.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/23/2008, 03:52 AM
HOPE

CHANGE

Thesifer
11/23/2008, 04:06 AM
Without the few calls that ruined the game in Dallas OU would be undefeated. But alas, Bob will have to politic a little to get ranked ahead of Texas. While at the same time kicking the crap out of ranked teams.

RedstickSooner
11/23/2008, 04:11 AM
While I hate obsessing over the polls, fact is, we *have* to jump Tejas this week. A pollster too stupid to move beyond the asinine notion that Tejas beat us, ergo, they must be ranked ahead of us isn't going to be bright enough to change their opinion just because we beat the Pokies. If Tech ain't enough, no way in heck little brother will be.

This is one of those times when some politicking is in order. Stoops has to go out there and hit the sports shows, and stick to the simple message: If we can't be ranked ahead of Texas because Texas beat us, then Texas can't be ranked ahead of Texas Tech, because Tech beat them. He doesn't even have to mention the rest of the logical progression -- even dumbfudge sports reporters can figure that one out for themselves once you rub their noses in it.

The Big-12 south has three teams which are undefeated, except for when facing each other. That means we three have beat the hell out of EVERYONE who messed with us, and the ONLY teams which managed to trip us up, is us. So the only thing that should matter in figuring out which of us is the best is whether, when playing each other, one of the three teams distinguished themselves.

Turns out, one of the teams did.

Fraggle145
11/23/2008, 04:15 AM

I'm glad we got the first swing in...

GreaterState
11/23/2008, 05:24 AM
This is one of those times when some politicking is in order.

I'll just be happy if every poster here who had something to say about Mack sucking (for saying Texas should be in BCS instead of Cal) is critical of Big Game Bob for opening his mouth even once, during this brand new poll controversy. True? I mean, if politicking is bad, it's bad, right?

Crucifax Autumn
11/23/2008, 05:48 AM
unless it's just stating a fact...

How can any pollster rank UT ahead of us without ranking tech ahead of UT? And if that's the case how can any pollster rank tech ahead of UT without ranking us ahead of tech?

Who's more impressive now?

Let's just pull for A&M again and shut you and your kind up AGAIN! Hopefully it all falls right and we get another shot at you so you don't have to play a non BCS school or enjoy the holiday or cotton bowl again.

GrapevineSooner
11/23/2008, 08:17 AM
I'll just be happy if every poster here who had something to say about Mack sucking (for saying Texas should be in BCS instead of Cal) is critical of Big Game Bob for opening his mouth even once, during this brand new poll controversy. True? I mean, if politicking is bad, it's bad, right?

Please tell me you're not comparing politicking to get into a non-National Title BCS Bowl with politicking to get into the National Title Game.

I don't blame any coach for doing any amount of politicking to get into any BCS game, myself. But I don't see your logic.

Czar Soonerov
11/23/2008, 08:22 AM
HOPE

CHANGE

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/1034/stoopsbradfordbs8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

1890MilesToNorman
11/23/2008, 08:44 AM
OU-TU = Tough game, Texas came back to win.

TU-TT = Tech dominated TU, TU came back and lead for 89 seconds late in the game but lost.

OU-TT = OU Dominated, Dominated and Dominated. No come back here.

If your going to use logic then look at how the games played out.

I like the point Stoops is making.

PLaw
11/23/2008, 09:18 AM
“The logic of whether to put us in front of Texas? If you can’t do that because they beat us, then you’ve got to keep Texas Tech in front of Texas. What’s logical for one is logical for the other.” Bob Stoops

The GREATNESS OF BOB.

How does Mack respond to that? Let the politickin' begin.

Answer this - if OU and UT played today, then who would win?

OU would be a 2 TD favorite, period. And, would deliver the goods. OU is a healthier and much improved team that what came down the tunnel in October. UT plateued.

BOOMER

IronHorseSooner
11/23/2008, 09:24 AM
The GREATNESS OF BOB.

How does Mack respond to that? Let the politickin' begin.

Answer this - if OU and UT played today, then who would win?

OU would be a 2 TD favorite, period. And, would deliver the goods. OU is a healthier and much improved team that what came down the tunnel in October. UT plateued.

BOOMER

I know it might rain frogs after I say this, but this the point Dr. Lou and Mark May were making last night, FLA and OU are the two best teams right now. The FLA team that lost to Ole Miss and the OU team that lost to UT are not the ones playing today. Both teams have been annihilating their competition, no matter who they are.

Most commentators, Dr. Lou, Mark May, Jessie Palmer, and Flutie ALL say that OU should be the top one amongst the three. They distinguished themselves. It was Herbie who was waffling.

soonerfan28
11/23/2008, 09:59 AM
The way I look at it is that Tech beating Texas was close and Texas beating us was close but we smoked Tech's *** and that should be what it takes to put us ahead of Texas. I also think that if A&M can keep it close and we smoke OSU next week then we should easily be in front of Texas.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 11:51 AM
When do any of the rankings come out?

noobalicious
11/23/2008, 11:57 AM

It also makes the RRS look like a fluke. Name one other game that's been close. My goodness.

StoopTroup
11/23/2008, 11:57 AM
Watch this....

There were 17 points separating texas and Oklahoma last week. We beat #2 and the whorns didn't play.

Should be interesting IMO.

Coaches Poll (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings?pollId=2)

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 11:59 AM
and Tech is number 1 in the computer part of the BCS

StoopTroup
11/23/2008, 12:12 PM
I know we all have talked this all over this morning...

But...

When you look at the BCS Standings...(you know...that thing they are using to pick the best teams with...)

The only Team that won a significant game yesterday was Oklahoma.

Yeah Florida gets a little bump from Ole Miss beating LSU...but Cinncinati's win should give us a little bump too...oh yeah and that little rout we had.

Seriously...this should all be interesting. I know we've all heard from the experts...but my gut feeling is that we deserve more and that texas loss is something experts like to bring up...but winning the big one late in November like we did last night...it should mean more than something.

We'll see how it goes...

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 12:14 PM
Texas biggest loss is they didn't play yesterday. What time do any rankings come out?

IronHorseSooner
11/23/2008, 12:16 PM
I was thinking of how certain coaches would vote. Bob has his proxies (Leach, Mangino, Pellini), and UT has theirs (Chizik, Robinson, Dodge). They also have folks like Tubberville who will vote for UT because of Muschamp. They will also get help from those who hate us (the Drunk, Bellotti and Petersen (I think they still have votes?)), and those who have no clue (Bowden). What will be interesting will be how other coaches around the country view this (i.e. Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll). Les dislikes UT, us, and Tech. He might vote himself #1 and all of the Big XII out of the Top 25....I could definitely see us winning the Harris Poll vote. They tend to be a bit more objective, and not as emotionally tied up like the Coaches, but not so cold like the computers. I could see UT being ahead in the Coaches' Poll, OU ahead in Harris, and the Computers still having UT ahead, but barely. I think UT will be ahead, but not by much. The OSU game will be VERY relevant to how this plays. UT needs OU to win, but not like we did against TECH. That could cause a flip in the computers, and maybe the Coaches'. We need for A&M to either win (best scenario), or play UT close. If UT looks shotty in any way against A&M, OU vaults in all three.

StoopTroup
11/23/2008, 12:17 PM
Texas biggest loss is they didn't play yesterday. What time do any rankings come out?

Seems like the Coaches is around Noon or between the NFL games at 3 Central.

I just can't remember how they have been coming down the last few weeks. Sorry.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 12:18 PM
Finally a logical Longhorn ......

His ONLY argument - UT beat OU. Ok, if that's the case, then TT should be ahead of UT...dumbest argument in the history of CFB.

Because it's a 3 way tie and not a 2 way tie. If it comes down between OU and Texas, Texas gets the nod. But it's not, it's between OU, TTU, and Texas.

Bottom line: if OU beats OSU next week in a convincing manner (better than Texas' 4 pt win over OSU at home), OU goes.

No matter what, OU or Texas will get royally screwed!

budbarrybob
11/23/2008, 12:44 PM
I'm glad we got the first swing in...

we'll get the last one too ;)

OU_Sooners75
11/25/2008, 04:15 AM
While I hate obsessing over the polls, fact is, we *have* to jump Tejas this week. A pollster too stupid to move beyond the asinine notion that Tejas beat us, ergo, they must be ranked ahead of us isn't going to be bright enough to change their opinion just because we beat the Pokies. If Tech ain't enough, no way in heck little brother will be.

This is one of those times when some politicking is in order. Stoops has to go out there and hit the sports shows, and stick to the simple message: If we can't be ranked ahead of Texas because Texas beat us, then Texas can't be ranked ahead of Texas Tech, because Tech beat them. He doesn't even have to mention the rest of the logical progression -- even dumbfudge sports reporters can figure that one out for themselves once you rub their noses in it.

The Big-12 south has three teams which are undefeated, except for when facing each other. That means we three have beat the hell out of EVERYONE who messed with us, and the ONLY teams which managed to trip us up, is us. So the only thing that should matter in figuring out which of us is the best is whether, when playing each other, one of the three teams distinguished themselves.

Turns out, one of the teams did.

We are already ahead of them in 2/3 of the BCS components.
We most likely cannot catch Texas in most of the computers, but we can still gain groud.
We are currently 0.008 behind Texas in the BCS...
What does 0.008 equal? 6 more higher votes in each human poll (Coaches and Harris)...or...Jumping Utah in most of the computer polls, we do not have to jump Texas to gain the #2 spot in the BCS.

And the good thing is...if History stays true, OU will gain more votes in the Harris and Coaches polls as well as jump Utah in at least 4 computer polls if we win in Stoolwater. Meaning OU holds its own destiny right now.