PDA

View Full Version : The Personal foul on Nic

tulsaoilerfan
11/22/2008, 11:59 PM
WTF? Personal foul for hitting a defenseless receiver? I guess you are just supposed to shake their hand when they are trying to make a catch; thought the officials called a horribly one-sided game tonight

stoops the eternal pimp
11/23/2008, 12:00 AM
it was obvious that they had their eyes on the OU guys all night but let a bunch of TT's nonsense go....

tulsaoilerfan
11/23/2008, 12:01 AM
OU had 11 for 96, while Tech had 8 for 47

redhawk49
11/23/2008, 12:06 AM
Not to mention that smurf or elf or whatever the hell he is was trying to bait our guys into a personal foul.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
11/23/2008, 12:07 AM
Business as usual.

aurorasooner
11/23/2008, 12:10 AM
I'm sure Bob told Nick. That's a bunch of wimp Ref BS. Now go out and do it again. Complete wuss call by the Zebras. I haven't watched the DVR back but on the TV replay it didn't look like to me Nick didn't lead with the helmet and it was just a quality stick.

oumartin
11/23/2008, 12:14 AM
they dent even call it until after the crowd went nuts and it was replayed on the screen a couple times

Iam4OUru
11/23/2008, 12:16 AM
Ya know, it's great to take measures to try to cut down on serious injuries. I agree with the new "horse collar" rule but they gotta lighten up with the contact penalties. This is still considered a contact sport. That BS call could have easily affected the outcome of a close game.

OUbench
11/23/2008, 12:17 AM
I think it was just a regular hit and the refs were just buttholes. Like the first guy in the thread said, are we just suppose to shake their hands or what? Anyway the Defensive players should all get 2 gameballs and a free sonic burger or something. OU played EXCELLENT tonight! Loved that game! WOW
Hope we play like that next week

Rabbie
11/23/2008, 12:18 AM
15 of Techs was that worthless one with 4 secs left in the 2nd quarter as well. The number of missed calls was ridiculous. Obvious holding on the 15 yard hand to face, obvious blocks in the back on kickoff returns. I didn't even see what a lot of the penalties were, mainly because ABC never replayed them. Even the chop block on Murray was a cheap call.

Soonermagik
11/23/2008, 12:19 AM
It was one of the most bogus calls I've seen in a long time.

Doesn't matter, we dominated them.

AlbqSooner
11/23/2008, 12:22 AM
they gotta lighten up with the contact penalties. This is still considered a contact sport.

"Ballroom Dancing is a contact sport. Football is a collision sport."
Barry Switzer

RedstickSooner
11/23/2008, 12:26 AM
Actually, I don't mind the refs calling the game against us -- they were just doing their job, of favoring the team in the best current position to win the NC. Which means, provided they continue doing their job, they'll call it for us next week in Stillwater.

Leroy Lizard
11/23/2008, 12:30 AM
I didn't mind the officiating except for the call on Harris, which was unbelievable.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 12:31 AM
IT DON'T MATTER, THE VOTERS MADE THEIR DECISION AT HALFTIME

Curly Bill
11/23/2008, 12:34 AM
The officiating was its usual degree of suck, except for the call on Harris which was just unfathomably horrible.

oubose
11/23/2008, 12:40 AM
What a BS call on Harris, it was nice to see Stoops fired up about that one!

slamdog
11/23/2008, 02:17 AM
Business as usual.

Word.

cheezyq
11/23/2008, 02:22 AM
I saw 4 blatant holds by the Tech OL that went uncalled....but I'm not complaining too much, as the officials usually call us for holds every time we lay a hand on a defensive player.

Curly Bill
11/23/2008, 02:25 AM
I saw 4 blatant holds by the Tech OL that went uncalled....but I'm not complaining too much, as the officials usually call us for holds every time we lay a hand on a defensive player.

...and yet we're averaging how many points a game? How do you jive this?

OU_Sooners75
11/23/2008, 02:29 AM
Who cares?

It has happened week in and week out. I have actually grown accustom to the BS the refs are.

It really appears that the officiating is watching OU very closely this year. While not doing their job and watching both teams.

Oh well. 65-21 is a very good counter!

Piware
11/23/2008, 03:12 AM
I didn't mind the officiating except for the call on Harris, which was unbelievable.

It was a BS call. Nic hit him with his shoulder and it was a righteous hit. Quite unlike some the pops Scarey Boy #76 was dishing out. It sure was fun to watch him wander the field completely gassed in the 4th quarter.

If you can't hunt with the big dogs you need to stay on the porch.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/23/2008, 03:16 AM
That was a bunch of crap. The play was not only clean, but a hell of a defensive breakup.

And Frank Alexander was getting f****ng choked on every stinking play. The TT overrated fatty had him in a sleeperhold for most of the second half... never called.

I think the refs were twying to pwotect the pouw wittwle Waidews....

budbarrybob
11/23/2008, 03:18 AM
I don't think it was the actual hit. I think that they flagged him for "acting in a manner that draw's attention to one's self" after the play.

To which i'd still have to lay down my Bull $#1T card on it!

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 03:25 AM
The call on Nic was bogus, but we got to see replays. At full speed, the guys head snapped back and the refs must have thought is was a blow to his helmet. In replay it was clear both hits by Holmes and Harris were clean shoulder pad to shoulder pad hits. On one of TT 4th down plays where the pass went toward Crabtree, Box was holding his man big time, but we got away with it.

starclassic tama
11/23/2008, 03:27 AM
I don't think it was the actual hit. I think that they flagged him for "acting in a manner that draw's attention to one's self" after the play.

To which i'd still have to lay down my Bull $#1T card on it!

no they flagged him for unnecessary roughness, attack on a defenseless receiver

Leroy Lizard
11/23/2008, 03:31 AM
Even Texags agrees:

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=1306132&forum_id=5

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 03:32 AM
no they flagged him for unnecessary roughness, attack on a defenseless receiver

Right. I don't know if the college rule is the same, but in the NFL a hit on a "defenseless receiver" means either a blow to the head or clocking someone after an overthrown ball is long gone. The pass was perfect, so they thought Nic went to the head, which he didn't.

tulsaoilerfan
11/23/2008, 03:43 AM
...and yet we're averaging how many points a game? How do you jive this?

Think how many we could score if we had the refs in our hip pocket Bill :D

tulsaoilerfan
11/23/2008, 03:47 AM
Who cares?

It has happened week in and week out. I have actually grown accustom to the BS the refs are.

It really appears that the officiating is watching OU very closely this year. While not doing their job and watching both teams.

Oh well. 65-21 is a very good counter!

I do; i usually never complain about the officiating, but what was Nic supposed to do? Jesus, Jack Lambert and Jack Tatum would be barred from football for life if they played today

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 03:49 AM
I do; i usually never complain about the officiating, but what was Nic supposed to do? Jesus, Jack Lambert and Jack Tatum would be barred from football for life if they played today

Jack Tatum deserved to be barred for life back then too.

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
11/23/2008, 09:48 AM
It was a big time missed call by the refs. They called an unnessecary hit on a defensless receiver, THE BALL WAS STILL IN HIS FREAKIN HANDS!! I'm not say that if Harris does't hit him he makes the catch but he still had his hands on the ball when he got hit. Thats not defensless. There were some cheap calls but I will also say that Harris was running his mouth all day and I think that may have had something to do with it. Not to mention the horse collar that would have made TRRW proud. I can't stand Crabtree almost as much as I couldn't stand TFRW when he played but that was scary and could have ruined what will be a promising career on Sundays. Having said all that I think that Harris brought something to the defense that it has been missing since Calmus or TRRW of Tommie Harris, and that is a straight up nasty attitude. He was out there last night looking to make any Tech player with the ball in his hands think about where #5 was at. That is something I think the defense has been missing for a while. We have had some good players on D but there has been an attitude that has been missing. Last night he brought it. Hopefully he will bring it in Stillwater this week too.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/23/2008, 09:59 AM
Actually, I don't mind the refs calling the game against us -- they were just doing their job, of favoring the team in the best current position to win the NC. Which means, provided they continue doing their job, they'll call it for us next week in Stillwater.Uh oh, you have complicated the formula. It's simple...Penalize those Sooners!(even in Norman)

Lott's Bandana
11/23/2008, 10:04 AM
I was sitting at the 45 yard line and the play had been over for about 4 ticks when the Head Linesman decided to pull his flag out. The Referee actually had already moved to get the ball and had to look over his shoulder to see the HL running towards him. That was the worst part of the situation...if the flag had come out immediately, it would have seemed more like a subjective call instead of pre-ordained.

Oh, and the HL was the one that gave ML his 4th time-out.

Send him back to Pop Warner...

yermom
11/23/2008, 10:10 AM
Not to mention the horse collar that would have made TRRW proud.

that was rough. i cringed when i saw that

he got lucky there

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
11/23/2008, 10:15 AM
Oh, and the HL was the one that gave ML his 4th time-out.

WHAT THE FREAK WAS THAT!?!?! They stopped the play and the first thing I said was they don't have any timeouts left. Everybody in America knew that didn't have any left. My 100 year old grandma knew they were out. How hard can that be to remember?

Charla
11/23/2008, 10:30 AM
After watching our D last night I think I will get back on the save BV bandwagon. Anybody that watched that effort without Bias would have to admit that we deserve to be at the top of the conf. If we go out and drop a turd in Stoolwater I will blame it all on BV.

fossil
11/23/2008, 11:32 AM
The officiating was its usual degree of suck, except for the call on Harris which was just unfathomably horrible.

I agree, totally screwed up call. However, I just considered it a 'make even' call. Remember the catch the TT wide receiver made where his foot was down in bounds, but he lost the ball after he was on the ground out of bounds. That, IMHO, was a catch and TT should have gotten the ball there. The replay clearly showed he had control of the ball until he was totally down. So, I guess all in all, once cancels out the other.

oumartin
11/23/2008, 11:34 AM
so, was the HL an insurance guy from Lubbock?

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 11:36 AM
I agree, totally screwed up call. However, I just considered it a 'make even' call. Remember the catch the TT wide receiver made where his foot was down in bounds, but he lost the ball after he was on the ground out of bounds. That, IMHO, was a catch and TT should have gotten the ball there. The replay clearly showed he had control of the ball until he was totally down. So, I guess all in all, once cancels out the other.

No, they got that one right. It is a technical ruling that the receiver has to maintain possession all the way through hitting the ground. The replay was conclusive. Remember the Manny Johnson non-TD at Tech last year? Same ruling and correct.

oumartin
11/23/2008, 11:42 AM
or the lamont robinsons INT in the cotton bowl.

cvsooner
11/23/2008, 01:32 PM
No, they got that one right. It is a technical ruling that the receiver has to maintain possession all the way through hitting the ground. The replay was conclusive. Remember the Manny Johnson non-TD at Tech last year? Same ruling and correct.

Nice irony in that one, no?

And the interception in the endzone at Texas this year was the same deal.

aero
11/23/2008, 01:55 PM
That was a good hit. Too bad they called a penalty. BTW, that was one of the most beautiful horse collars I've ever seen. I'm still a little pissed thats a penalty but I suppose if it keeps people from getting injured its a good rule. I suppose.

76soonergrad
11/23/2008, 03:11 PM
Right. I don't know if the college rule is the same, but in the NFL a hit on a "defenseless receiver" means either a blow to the head or clocking someone after an overthrown ball is long gone. The pass was perfect, so they thought Nic went to the head, which he didn't.

...But what a fine welcome-to-Owen-Field Harris gave Crabtree. The defense is back.

BoulderSooner79
11/23/2008, 03:15 PM
...But what a fine welcome-to-Owen-Field Harris gave Crabtree. The defense is back.

If you're talking about the horse collar, I couldn't disagree more. There was no reason for that and I don't like seeing our players commit something risky like that. But over-all, yes, Nic and the rest of the D handled Crabtree extremely well.