PDA

View Full Version : SEC v. Big 12

cheezyq
11/22/2008, 10:49 PM
No, this isn't what you think...

After listening to Urban Meyer talk some trash before the Citadel game, it made me wonder what the BIGGEST difference between the SEC and the Big 12...their coaches are generally loud-mouth a**hats.

Urban Meyer - talking trash to Citadel about how they should score at least 60.
Mark Richt - in my personal opinion, one of the most arrogant **icks in CFB today.
Les Miles - lengthy record of public a**hattery.
Nick Saban - really pretty much the most understated coach in the top of the SEC, but has been known to say a few things here and there.

In general, most Big 12 coaches are far more respectful of their opponents. Mack Brown is OVERLY nice. Bob is respectful of other coaches and teams, with an occasional subtle dig whenever called out. Leach is funny and a bit loud-mouthed, but you don't hear much trash talk about other teams and coaches out of the guy.

Why does this matter? I think this could contribute to the perception of the SEC being tougher to the media, who are subject only to what they see on TV. The SEC coaches are louder and more obnoxious, especially when challenged about the toughness of their league. Unfortunately, this works to their advantage, as it puts them in front of the TV more often, and allows them an attentive audience to make their (usually flawed) case.

Honestly, I don't think Florida or Alabama go higher than 3rd in the Big 12 South. I'm not going to argue why I think that, as it would just take too long. But the simple fact is that the SEC benefits from the misperception of toughness almost simply for the reason that they have several big mouth coaches.

Just an interesting thought as we pretty much dismantle the #2 team in the country. We'll probably still see some ridiculous comments from media that Florida is STILL more impressive. This is probably one of the bigger reasons why.

sooner94
11/22/2008, 11:22 PM
No, this isn't what you think...

After listening to Urban Meyer talk some trash before the Citadel game, it made me wonder what the BIGGEST difference between the SEC and the Big 12...their coaches are generally loud-mouth a**hats.

Urban Meyer - talking trash to Citadel about how they should score at least 60.
Mark Richt - in my personal opinion, one of the most arrogant **icks in CFB today.
Les Miles - lengthy record of public a**hattery.
Nick Saban - really pretty much the most understated coach in the top of the SEC, but has been known to say a few things here and there.

In general, most Big 12 coaches are far more respectful of their opponents. Mack Brown is OVERLY nice. Bob is respectful of other coaches and teams, with an occasional subtle dig whenever called out. Leach is funny and a bit loud-mouthed, but you don't hear much trash talk about other teams and coaches out of the guy.

Why does this matter? I think this could contribute to the perception of the SEC being tougher to the media, who are subject only to what they see on TV. The SEC coaches are louder and more obnoxious, especially when challenged about the toughness of their league. Unfortunately, this works to their advantage, as it puts them in front of the TV more often, and allows them an attentive audience to make their (usually flawed) case.

Honestly, I don't think Florida or Alabama go higher than 3rd in the Big 12 South. I'm not going to argue why I think that, as it would just take too long. But the simple fact is that the SEC benefits from the misperception of toughness almost simply for the reason that they have several big mouth coaches.

Just an interesting thought as we pretty much dismantle the #2 team in the country. We'll probably still see some ridiculous comments from media that Florida is STILL more impressive. This is probably one of the bigger reasons why.

Funny, everyone in the sports media was raving about Florida's win today against The Citadel. And we beat Tech (#2 team in the country) by an equivalent score. I will be eagerly awaiting the poll results tomorow.

By the way, Tech fans- you are still a 2nd tier program. Thanks for trying though.

KingBarry
11/22/2008, 11:55 PM
Funny, everyone in the sports media was raving about Florida's win today against The Citadel. And we beat Tech (#2 team in the country) by an equivalent score.

Post of the day.

How tough can it be to put 70 on the poor little Citadel?

I'm sorry, noting at all against Florida (we did play the Mocs), but there's nothing impressive in annihilating Citadel. Nothing. I'd rather seen them in a bye week.

Johnny Utah
11/23/2008, 12:06 AM
The SEC is all about perception! TTU just lost to OU on the road and they are out of the BCS mix (according to Herbie :rolleyes: ), while Florida's loss to unranked Ole Miss (although they did look good today against LSU) is not even mentioned (not to mention that they lost to Meatchicken in their last bowl game). I guess the best test is to settle it on the field, so hopefully the emporer (and the SEC and the media) will have no clothes in January! :)

oubose
11/23/2008, 01:36 AM
Nebraska high school state play-offs ended today, Florida can play the champ next week. WARNING*** I think they beat Citadel also!

TumbleWeed Timmy
11/23/2008, 01:49 AM
By the way, Tech fans- you are still a 2nd tier program. Thanks for trying though.

It happens sometimes, as you well know.

Stay classy.. and keep downplaying the Big12 competition...then go lose a BCS bowl or 4..... It really helps "perception wise"

cheezyq
11/23/2008, 02:15 AM
It happens sometimes, as you well know.

Stay classy.. and keep downplaying the Big12 competition...then go lose a BCS bowl or 4..... It really helps "perception wise"

Meh...call me when you GET to a BCS game.

JLEW1818
11/23/2008, 02:16 AM
I wanna fight tonight

TumbleWeed Timmy
11/23/2008, 02:50 AM
Meh...call me when you GET to a BCS game.

You're right we suck, perhaps even third tier, due to this startling new revelation --OU hasn't proven anything.

USC should get the BCS nod due to their quality win over a 'TOP TIER" program in tOSU.

Better?

Is that what you are looking for?

Sheeze.