PDA

View Full Version : There may be a problem with Clinton as Sec'y of State..

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2008, 05:58 PM
..beyond whatever problems someone may have with her.

Article I, Section 6, US Constitution

No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been increased during such time....

The "Emoulments" (pay) of the Secretary of State have been increased during Senator Clinton's term.

I have a feeling that Congress will just slap a quickie repeal of the pay increase through to make it a non-issue, but it gave me a small giggle.

And yes, I admit, I first heard about this on Kos. Sue me.

olevetonahill
11/22/2008, 06:00 PM
I thot there was some question About Bills activities

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2008, 06:05 PM
Nah, the stuff with Bill has been worked out. Basically he has to stop taking foreign speaking gigs.

olevetonahill
11/22/2008, 06:06 PM
I couldnt remember what it was all about .

Flagstaffsooner
11/22/2008, 06:08 PM
"Emoulments"And I thought that was what Bill shot all over the blues dress.

1890MilesToNorman
11/22/2008, 06:08 PM
Those are just laws and rules, they don't apply to the Clintons.

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2008, 06:09 PM
Well, that and he has a charitable foundation to which he'll probably have to stop taking foreign donations.

He's basically said that he'll modify what he's doing in any way needed to get behind his wife.

Curly Bill
11/22/2008, 06:11 PM
He's basically said that he'll modify what he's doing in any way needed to get behind his wife.

I bet he would. ;)

Flagstaffsooner
11/22/2008, 06:13 PM
He's basically said that he'll modify what he's doing in any way needed to get behind his wife.Now that's funny stuff!:D

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2008, 06:16 PM
I think she's perfectly qualified, but I'd rather have seen Bill Richardson as SecState. The Clintons work for Clintons and only the Clintons, and they leak like a tin foil boat.

I can't imagine why she would give up what would likely be a life long seat in the Senate to be SecState for 8 years or less. This makes it almost certain to me that she'll try to run for President again, regardless of her age, because there's no where else to go after this but the Presidency and I can't see her retiring.

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2008, 06:18 PM
Although it's possible she could get her Senate seat back either running against whoever holds it when she is no longer SecState or...

The Gov. of New York could appoint Bill Clinton to her Senate Seat and he could hold that Senate seat until she resigns as SecState at which point Bill would resign and the governor of NY would re-appoint her to her old seat.

That scenario isn't likely, but it's one way.

Curly Bill
11/22/2008, 06:19 PM
Good point Sic. I was thinking earlier that if I were a Senator and likely to retain my seat forever, I'm not sure I'd give that up for a cabinet gig.

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2008, 06:20 PM
I think she's perfectly qualified, but I'd rather have seen Bill Richardson as SecState.

I agree on both points. I wonder, however, if Obama is planning on acting as First Diplomat more often than previous presidents.

1890MilesToNorman
11/22/2008, 06:21 PM
because there's no where else to go after this but the Presidency and I can't see her retiring.

Jail is a possibility! Never count them Clintons out.

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2008, 06:22 PM
Jail is a possibility! Never count them Clintons out.

Hahaha touche.

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2008, 06:23 PM
Oh, c'mon. Like the current Congress is going to spend $40 million to find a soiled dress when there's a perfectly good Bush around to impeach.

;)

1890MilesToNorman
11/22/2008, 06:26 PM
Oh, c'mon. Like the current Congress is going to spend $40 million to find a soiled dress when there's a perfectly good Bush around to impeach.

;)

LOL, she's still young enough to commit many, many more crimes before she fades away.

NYC Poke
11/22/2008, 06:31 PM
I'm sure all she has to do is resign before taking the reins at State, like Lloyd Bentson did for Treasury. And surely he wasn't the first Senator appointed to a cabinet position, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2008, 06:35 PM
Nope. Even if she resigns she's within the time she was elected to serve.

Secretary of Treasury didn't get a pay raise during the term Bentsen was serving.

This has come up before, and the solution was they just rolled the pay hike back.

NYC Poke
11/22/2008, 06:36 PM
Ah, ok. That makes sense.

Frozen Sooner
11/22/2008, 06:39 PM
Yup.

Interestingly enough, the last time this happened Sen. Byrd threw a fit about it, saying that the Constitution was pretty explicit that Senators couldn't resign to take a position that had gotten a pay raise and didn't say anything about rolling the raise back.

Flagstaffsooner
11/22/2008, 06:40 PM
I think she's perfectly qualifiedWTF! That squalking bitch as head US diplomat?

NYC Poke
11/22/2008, 06:42 PM
She apparently has a lot of credibility with Israel, so this is probably a good indicator where Obama is going to focus his foreign policy.

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2008, 07:22 PM
WTF! That squalking bitch as head US diplomat?

She knows how the world works, and God knows she knows how to bust some balls.

Veritas
11/22/2008, 07:40 PM
Something tells me he's never been in that position with her before.

KingBarry
11/23/2008, 12:06 AM

[QUOTE=Veritas;2495902]Something tells me he's never been in that position with her before.

He's never been on top, either.

Re: Taking the SecState spot: Don't forget, if she takes over a cabinet post, she serves at the pleasure of the President. Obama could easily fire her in two or three years, and then where will she be? She could conceivably attempt to return to her current Senate seat when it comes up for reelection in 2012, but she'd have to defeat her successor probably in a Democrat primary, and then defeat whoever the GOP puts up. Sure, Repubs are getting steamrolled now, but who knows what the dynamic will be in four years.

I just don't see leaving the Senate for her, unless she is either extremely interested in foreign policy, or she hates being in the Senate.

VeeJay
11/23/2008, 12:55 PM
When does she go to Bosnia again?

Dangerous place, that Bosnia.......