PDA

View Full Version : Wished-for TV adjustment

ouwasp
11/22/2008, 12:25 AM
I was already thinking about this; the PusBerger thread caused me to put it into words:
You'd think with all the technology available a fan would be able to mute the inane announcers and just listen to the crowd noise, band, etc. Most viewers know as much football as those guys. We don't need to listen to them...
State the obvious
Hype every play
Act like they are on first-name, best buddy status with players/coaches
Second-guess any call
Gush about Cinderella teams, usually with a Boise St reference
Cheerfully argue BCS scenarios and praise the bowl system
Talk about Notre Dame or JoePa
Etc

Yeah, I watch Sooner games on mute a lot. I just want to see the game, not listen to the above crap. The technological invention could be called FanView. I bet it would be a hit.

Crucifax Autumn
11/22/2008, 12:28 AM
Why have a button? Why not just broadcast it without the innane ramblings of idiots in the first place?

okiewaker
11/22/2008, 12:32 AM
Thank god for the Mute button as you stated!

1890MilesToNorman
11/22/2008, 12:35 AM
Why have a button? Why not just broadcast it without the innane ramblings of idiots in the first place?

They tried that about 15-20 years ago in the NFL, didn't work.

sooner59
11/22/2008, 12:56 AM
It may not have worked in the NFL, but I agree that it should be an option. Like how they show two channels, one in HD, the other no HD. They should make a third channel without the commentators, just crowd noise. I think it would be sweet. ESPN In The Game........or something like that.

Crucifax Autumn
11/22/2008, 01:07 AM

They may have, but they didn't let me vote on continuing it!

OUSuperman
11/22/2008, 01:30 AM
I remember watching a Vikings-Steelers game in 2005 w/out announcers throughout the first half and thought it was greatness. Last weeks UT-KU game took the cake, watching it in HD w/out the announcers the entire game. I think it would be a fabulous idea, listening to the sounds of the game, the bands, and the trash talk instead of talk about the announcers missing their dinner dates.

Crucifax Autumn
11/22/2008, 01:51 AM
Even better, without the announcers they could spend that money on an assload of microphones at field level so we could hear every tackle in excruciating detail.

Sooner1979
11/22/2008, 02:10 AM
There could literally be a time in the near future where Artificial Intelligence were to replace these old crusty bastards with their personal biases and agendas...Wouldn't it be nice for a simulated Play by play man and color man to actually say what they think about a play whether the refs were right or not, or even whether coaches made the correct call based on the situation...I for one am in favor of said system...The AI voices used as commentary would simulate great voices of past announcers...I would love to hear what a non-biased computer system would say when a ref or refs made an outrageous call...We wouldn't have to hear about how GREAT Florida is or even how OU has to blow out TT just to have a chance to make the Big XII championship and a possible National Championships...In a matter of seconds the AI software would calculate how and where OU stands before during and after the game...And maybe even eventually integrate software to to allow these systems to analize replays to actually make the correct call...

I know, I am just dreaming, but we are closer than you would think to developing software simulation that could report realtime scenarios and statistical probabilities of teams performances in realtime during a game to give fans an idea of what a team would have to do to either hold off an opponent or how to finish off an opponent in a given situation, on a certain yard line and with a given amount of time...

It is 1:04am, and I am just killing time for approximately 18 more hours to OU's domination of Tech...

(Said in Stephen Hawking's voice): OU will win 52-38 according to my current calculations...BOO-MER SOO-NER...GO O-U...

instigator
11/22/2008, 09:21 AM
There could literally be a time in the near future where Artificial Intelligence were to replace these old crusty bastards...

I think that's called a video game. :)

OUDoc
11/22/2008, 09:52 AM
I remember, but I think it was longer ago than that. It was pretty weird.

Dan Thompson
11/22/2008, 12:41 PM
Will any of the radio stations carry the game, maybe XM/Sirus radio. I too turn the mute the sound, but I would like to hear the crowd noise and the hits.

Maybe ESPN could give the guys who did the Fresno St. game last night a shot at the big time. They seem to make sense sometimes.

oumartin
11/22/2008, 01:09 PM
pretty sweet idea.

just stick a mic in the middle of the crowd on each teams sideline and give you the option of which mic you want turned on.

fadada1
11/22/2008, 01:10 PM
i find it hard to believe that mushmouth brent is the best we have. clearly, he's "sucked" his way to the top somehow... and it ain't from being a good announcer. is it just me, or does he seem to make a 1 yard gain by the fullback sound like the "miracle on ice" call???

herbstreit is about as unbiased an announcer that is out there, and i enjoy when he calls games.

XingTheRubicon
11/22/2008, 01:16 PM
83, I believe. Dolphins - Jets?

XingTheRubicon
11/22/2008, 01:23 PM
December 20th, 1980 and it was Dolphins - Jets.

The main reason the experiment sucked is because it was not a big game, during the day and both teams sucked.

1890MilesToNorman
11/22/2008, 02:25 PM
I remember that game as if it were played 30 years ago.

I might be able to take these guys serious if they would lose the ties, wear sweatshirts and hats and have a beer in their hand.

oubose
11/22/2008, 03:45 PM
I love the idea of no announcers, just crowd noise and the excitement of the game. After we get that in place could we find a way to get me some SOONER Nachos delivered to me in South Dakota. Anyone who watches a game with me doesn't get to hear it anyway, haha they get a first hand play-by-play. It would really suck if you had to watch the Wash. vs. Wash St. game that way, boy they both really suck!!

ouwasp
10/2/2010, 12:58 PM
bump because I like this idea... :)

pac10SUX
10/2/2010, 01:16 PM
When we watch the OU games at home, we mute the TV and sync it with the Sooners Sirius Radio broadcast via the DVR (about 7-10 seconds off). Of course you need a BB dictionary to decipher what's being said!! :D

This week the Sooners are on Sirius 122.

It'd be cool if the network or Sat/Cable offered up CFB games with the home team's announcers.

My 2 cents.

And BTW, * sucks!!!

Boomer Sooner!!

SoonerMom2
10/2/2010, 01:40 PM
Great idea and would save my remote -- cannot stand most announcers especially the ABC of Musburger and Herbstreit. To think I used to cheer for Herbstreit when he was the quarterback at Ohio State when we lived in Ohio. Now I cannot stand him.

freshchris05
10/2/2010, 01:47 PM
They would still have to censored crowd noises, just in their are a few mother****er's or the bullsh*t chant

rwryne
10/2/2010, 01:50 PM
Do they broadcast in 5.1 through any service? If so, there is a chance you may be able to unplug certain speakers to turn the announcers off...