PDA

View Full Version : What past loss hurt you the most?

8timechamps
11/21/2008, 10:55 AM
For me, it was the loss to the Tarheels in the 1990 NCAA tournament. I can still see it like it was yesterday. Rick Fox scored off of the inbound pass in the closing seconds...

And, it was in Austin!!

About 4 or 5 years ago, the Lakers were in town to play the Nuggets. Teams that come to town stay at a hotel that was across the street from my old office. I was coming back from lunch, and it just so happened that the Lakers bus was unloading.

I stopped for a minute and watched the players getting off the bus. It was kind of a surreal moment. No fanfare, no media...just me. I watched as Kobe got off, then Shaq...It was a pretty cool moment for a big NBA fan.

Then it happened. Rick Fox got off. It was as if my life flashed in front of my eyes. I went back to the moment in time that he made that shot. It ruined my day.

To this day, I cannot see his face without thinking about that. When Oz was on HBO, I watched it regularly. Then he shows up in the cast. For a little while, it was as if someone was playing a cruel joke.

tdsooner1321
11/21/2008, 10:59 AM
Indiana in 02. We were better than all three of the teams in the final four that year.

Sooner04
11/21/2008, 11:00 AM
For me, it was the loss to the Tarheels in the 1990 NCAA tournament. I can still see it like it was yesterday. Rick Fox scored off of the inbound pass in the closing seconds...
That was a bad one. Nothing like being the #1 team in the country and getting to play two road games in a hostile environment. Not to mention that the team we'll play in game two is an underachieving bunch with lots more talent than us. [spit]

For me, it was Senior Day 2003. We're in line for a #1 seed, and Texas is coming to town. We implode in the second half and blow a big lead. We're rolling, then Ebi Ere somehow misses a dunk and T. J. Ford takes over. Texas ends up winning at the end.

We win the Big 12 Tournament, and still get a #1 seed, but it's in the Albany Region. Texas, because they beat us twice, get the coveted #1 seed in the San Antonio Region. They parlay that into a run to the Final Four, while we get hammered by Syracuse.

We beat Texas, we go to San Antonio. More than likely, we go to the Final Four in New Orleans, the hometown of our two stud guards: Hollis Price and Quannas White. But no.

2002 to Indiana was unbearable. If I'd been old enough to truly appreciate the '88 loss, it would definitely be #1. I've got family members who still don't like talking about that game.

King Crimson
11/21/2008, 11:06 AM
sadists. wtf?

that 1990 loss was a killer. i watched that game in a motel in Richfield, Utah. i took a swim in the leaf covered pool the next morning as the sun rose so pissed i couldn't even stand it.

88, no doubt. 90 was tough.

86 loss to Memphis State in the round of 8 was brutal, too. i couldn't even talk for a few hours. just the idea that OU would play in the Final Four at that time was unreal. ESPN honks beat up on Billy all the time...and to lose to criminals like Dana Kirk and Keith Lee...

the TJ Ford loss at home on Senior Day on the radio was bad, too.

honorable mention to the 99 loss at ATM to close out the season, another radio killer. we almost don't make the NCAA because of that.

8timechamps
11/21/2008, 11:11 AM
For me, it was Senior Day 2003. We're in line for a #1 seed, and Texas is coming to town. We implode in the second half and blow a big lead. We're rolling, then Ebi Ere somehow misses a dunk and T. J. Ford takes over. Texas ends up winning at the end.

We win the Big 12 Tournament, and still get a #1 seed, but it's in the Albany Region. Texas, because they beat us twice, get the coveted #1 seed in the San Antonio Region. They parlay that into a run to the Final Four, while we get hammered by Syracuse.

We beat Texas, we go to San Antonio. More than likely, we go to the Final Four in New Orleans, the hometown of our two stud guards: Hollis Price and Quannas White. But no.

At least we got beat by the eventual champion in '03 (not that it softens the blow much).

8timechamps
11/21/2008, 11:11 AM
sadists. wtf?

What can I say? It's been a long week before a big game.

King Crimson
11/21/2008, 11:20 AM
At least we got beat by the eventual champion in '03 (not that it softens the blow much).

people don't remember but our very own Eskimo Joe Aggies had a double digit lead on that Syracuse team in the first round.

Sooner04
11/21/2008, 11:27 AM
people don't remember but our very own Eskimo Joe Aggies had a double digit lead on that Syracuse team in the first round.
2nd round. And I think they were up by close to 20.

People also forget that Syracuse barely eeked by Auburn in the Sweet 16. They cured what ailed them by then, because they undressed our asses two days later. We were completely inept.

King Crimson
11/21/2008, 11:38 AM
2nd round. And I think they were up by close to 20.

People also forget that Syracuse barely eeked by Auburn in the Sweet 16. They cured what ailed them by then, because they undressed our asses two days later. We were completely inept.

they had us/Kelvin flummoxed with the zone. we couldn't even start our offense inside the timeline and usually with about 15 seconds left on the shot clock.

i usually defend Kelvin and hate the popular "outcoached" criticism and could live or die without the outright manlove ESPN gives to Boeheim who is a "bubble team" with about 12 wins...but we were schooled that game.

OUmillenium
11/21/2008, 11:46 AM
Yikes, where to start...

1. 88 KU
2. 87 Iowa (OT), loss after leading by 20 points
3. 90 UNC - I have hated (not really ;>) Rick Fox ever since
4. 91? Arkansas - when Brent Price and co got crushed
5. Multiple Kelvin losses

sooner518
11/21/2008, 11:48 AM
Indiana in 02. We were so much better than that ****ing team. Tom Coverdale can eat my ***!

8timechamps
11/21/2008, 11:50 AM
they had us/Kelvin flummoxed with the zone. we couldn't even start our offense inside the timeline and usually with about 15 seconds left on the shot clock.

i usually defend Kelvin and hate the popular "outcoached" criticism and could live or die without the outright manlove ESPN gives to Boeheim who is a "bubble team" with about 12 wins...but we were schooled that game.

Boeheim won because of Carmelo. I'm sure he felt like a high school girl getting dumped when Carmelo announced he was leaving for the NBA. Melo had better games in the tournament that year, but his double-double against us didn't help.

Didn't we turn the ball over a ton too?

Hella Sideburns
11/21/2008, 12:37 PM
Indiana in 02. We were so much better than that ****ing team. Tom Coverdale can eat my ***!

what made it even worse was just how much we all loved that particular group. What a fun team that was.

Lott's Bandana
11/21/2008, 01:08 PM
NCAA Tourney Final - 1988 Kansas Home Game

We'd already beaten them twice that season....I still look for that banner in the LNC rafters, it still ain't there.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

sooner518
11/21/2008, 01:22 PM
what made it even worse was just how much we all loved that particular group. What a fun team that was.

and the fact that we shot sooooo terribly that game. We couldnt hit a 3 to save our lives.

OUstud
11/21/2008, 02:49 PM
1. Texas, 2003
2. Indiana, 2002
3. Syracuse, 2003
4. OSU, 2000 (but, made up for it when we beat them to close the old GIA)

Wasn't born yet for 88, but that would probably be #1 if I remembered it.

oumartin
11/21/2008, 03:27 PM
to me it was the 02 team losing to Indiana, Flippin' Indiana. OU had already pated Maryland earlier in the year and OU was by far the best team left.

88' I was in 8th grade and I had just been lit up by the Elk City Elks baseball team and didn't know the final of the OU/KU game until after I got home around 11pm that night.

I barely remember the loss to Dr. Tom though I recall most the players off that OU roster. I used to fancy myself a smaller Choo Kennedy with my underhand layup over the front of the rim.

the Syracuse loss was just embarrassing. They pants our Sooners in that game

badger
11/21/2008, 03:30 PM
Women: OU-UConn 2002

Men: OU-Syracuse 2003

Jimminy Crimson
11/21/2008, 04:21 PM
1. Texas, 2003
2. Indiana, 2002
3. Syracuse, 2003

That's probably my top 3, too. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Harry Beanbag
11/21/2008, 05:46 PM
NCAA Tourney Final - 1988 Kansas Home Game

We'd already beaten them twice that season....I still look for that banner in the LNC rafters, it still ain't there.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yep, and it's not even close. That is my most painful loss ever, in any sport.

NormanPride
11/21/2008, 05:53 PM
Women: OU-UConn 2002

Men: OU-Syracuse 2003

Meh, losing to UConn sucked, but losing to Stanford and dumbo girl a couple years ago was awful.

Do you remember the Indiana game? I can't remember if you were into the men's team as much then. Indiana was worse, because they hyped Coverdale almost as much as Carmelo, and we played like utter trash. Wasn't Hollis hurt that game?

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2008, 05:54 PM
1995(?) vs. Manhattan.

I still can't believe the complete collapse we had in the second half.

SoonerObsession
11/22/2008, 12:10 AM
Last year's game against Louisville in the NCAA tourney. Not because I thought we should beat them, but because it looked like a Varsity team vs. a junior varsity team. As excited as I am about this year's team, that game still brings me back to reality.

IronHorseSooner
11/22/2008, 09:01 AM
Meh, losing to UConn sucked, but losing to Stanford and dumbo girl a couple years ago was awful.

Do you remember the Indiana game? I can't remember if you were into the men's team as much then. Indiana was worse, because they hyped Coverdale almost as much as Carmelo, and we played like utter trash. Wasn't Hollis hurt that game?

I don't know if he was injured, but that was the game where their three guards, who were about as athletic my 57 year-old Dad, couldn't miss a shot. Even their 6'9" center was hitting bank-shot, fade away 3s with 2 seconds on the shot clock. That was the same way they had beaten Duke earlier in the tourney. We had either a 7 or 11 point lead on them in the first half, as well.

stoopified
11/22/2008, 11:58 AM
No contest losing to Danny and the Miracles,we already beat them TWICE that year.I think we son by eight in Norman and in Lawrence.

soonermix
11/22/2008, 05:44 PM
kansas... f u danny manning

journeyman
11/23/2008, 01:15 AM
1. 1988 champ game - no doubt. We were such big favorites and should have won going away. We allowed KU to dictate 2nd half tempo and watched Danny and a bunch of no talent bums take our hardware.

The rest in no particular order:

1985 vs. Memphis - if we win we go to FF. Instead we lose and Wayman goes pro.
1984 vs. Dayton - first of the big first round let-downs.
1987 vs. Iowa - great senior class goes out with a loss to BJ Armstrong
1989 at OSU - we go in ranked #1 and lose to a marginal Aggie State team
1990 vs. UNC - Rick Fox - arrg!!
1990 vs. Duke - end of the long LNC win streak
1991 vs. SW Louisiana - we fell far fast
1992 vs. New Mexico St. - another first round disaster
1995 vs. Manhattan - ibid
1996 vs. Temple - ibid
1997 vs. Indiana - ibid
1998 vs. Stanford - ibid
2000 vs. Iowa State/Big XII tourney
2000 vs. Purdue - Najera's last game
2001 vs. Indiana State - see 1995 Manhattan
2002 vs. Indiana - we were the best team in the FF that year
2003 vs. Syracuse - at least Carmelo has had a better career than that spare Danny Manning
Anytime losing to OSU, Texas, and any team coached by the fraud known as Robert Montgomery Knight.