PDA

View Full Version : Beer Making Questions

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 07:51 AM
Ok Ive Made Wine and Shine , Now Im thinking about trying some Beer . any one have any experience in this .
What all do i need ?
how Much time Is involved in Making it to the Drinking stage?
Any an all help will Be speked :D

OU_Sooners75
11/21/2008, 08:21 AM
Olevet, you have a PM that may help you a lot.

click the link my my sig...PM a guy named 152219. He goes by TD or numbers. He brews quite often. Other than that, I have no clue. I was going to attempt this myself.

He may visit here as well, I will pass this along to him.

1890MilesToNorman
11/21/2008, 08:27 AM
I tried one of those Beer Machines about 6 years ago, if memory serves it took about 3 weeks and the first 3 or 4 beers weren't bad then the keg went flat. Those were the most expensive beers I ever drank. I went back to the old fashioned way of taking $5 out of my pocket and scramble down the local store for a 6-pack.

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 08:38 AM
I tried one of those Beer Machines about 6 years ago, if memory serves it took about 3 weeks and the first 3 or 4 beers weren't bad then the keg went flat. Those were the most expensive beers I ever drank. I went back to the old fashioned way of taking $5 out of my pocket and scramble down the local store for a 6-pack.

I dont think I have to worry about Beer going Flat :D

SoonerStormchaser
11/21/2008, 08:40 AM
Why are you asking about how to make beer? Get your *** back in the shed and make me some more OVJ!

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 08:45 AM
Why are you asking about how to make beer? Get your *** back in the shed and make me some more OVJ!

I got enough Of that for Now. Will have about 5 Gals when I finish this batch of Mash , If Not More
Everyone wants some of it , But I aint got a Box one yet .:D

OU_Sooners75
11/21/2008, 09:18 AM
I got enough Of that for Now. Will have about 5 Gals when I finish this batch of Mash , If Not More
Everyone wants some of it , But I aint got a Box one yet .:D

Hell sounds good....ship me some...LOL
:D

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 12:45 PM
Has No one here Made Home Beer ?
I remember a thread several yrs ago about some one Had a Kit or something
Come on Help the Mad Scientist out Here .:D

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 12:46 PM
Hell sounds good....ship me some...LOL
:D

you Got the Peem didnt ya?:D

AlbqSooner
11/21/2008, 12:55 PM
I made beer many years ago. Never figured out how much time is involved in the starting to drinking stage. I never could wait for it to "age" appropriately. It was kinda yeasty as a result, but that is how I drank it.

1890MilesToNorman
11/21/2008, 01:07 PM
Has No one here Made Home Beer ?
I remember a thread several yrs ago about some one Had a Kit or something
Come on Help the Mad Scientist out Here .:D

Vet, I dun splained my experience to yu but I did some research a long time ago about doing it. below is one of the sites that sells the kits and ur supplies. Temperature is important and the vessel must be extremely clean. Then drink other stuff for 3 or 4 weeks and voila, you gots some brewsky.

http://www.homebrewers.com/

Bottling is an adventure too!

:pop:

TheUnnamedSooner
11/21/2008, 01:20 PM
If you want to make some good brew, from start to finish you're looking at a few months.

BlondeSoonerGirl
11/21/2008, 01:23 PM
It was Beano.

So you know, you're probably on your own.

:kelvin:

1890MilesToNorman
11/21/2008, 01:25 PM
I guarantee it won't be ready for the Tech game. :P

NYC Poke
11/21/2008, 01:26 PM
I brewed beer years ago with a buddy. I had a lot of fun doing it and we made some pretty good beers. This site has some kits, which include glass carboys that I prefer to plastic. My buddy and I were able to get a glass carboy from a bottled water company back in those days for $10, but since most of them have switched to plastic, I guess the price has gone up.

http://www.brewbeer.cc/index.php?CustomerID=&CategoryID=83&Page=1&TotalPages=1&NumberProducts=5&Sort=ProductName&Products=1&Search=

Make sure you sterilize everything really good. We apparently didn't do this well enough once and the beer tasted like crap. Another thing is to be patient while your beer ages. Different recipes take different times to age properly. We made some ginger beer that tasted horrible when we first tried it. Completely undrinkable. We put it in a corner and forgot about it. Some months later, we were out of beer and money and decided to try our ginger beer again, and it was delicious.

This is a really good book to read on homebrewing. The author's prevailing philosophy is "Relax! Enjoy a homebrew."

http://www.americanbrewmaster.com/product_info.php?cPath=88_89&products_id=1129

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 01:31 PM
Vet, I dun splained my experience to yu but I did some research a long time ago about doing it. below is one of the sites that sells the kits and ur supplies. Temperature is important and the vessel must be extremely clean. Then drink other stuff for 3 or 4 weeks and voila, you gots some brewsky.

http://www.homebrewers.com/

Bottling is an adventure too!

:pop:

That Long :eek:
Hell In 4 weeks I can Make Gallons and Gallons Of the OVJ .

1890MilesToNorman
11/21/2008, 01:35 PM
That Long :eek:
Hell In 4 weeks I can Make Gallons and Gallons Of the OVJ .

Hence my $5 and a packy store theory! :D

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 01:42 PM
Hence my $5 and a packy store theory! :D

I guess Ill Just trade OVJ fer Beer then,Hell I can make 5 Gals of wine in 5 weeks and Not do Much work.

Taxman71
11/21/2008, 03:24 PM
I used to do back when I had time. I had one of those beer machines for fermenting, a bottle capper and a couple hundred beer bottles from my restaurant days. It was cool and tasted good if you were careful not to drink or pour the sediment from the bottom of the bottle. Way easier to just buy it in a store though. Don't know about price since dark beer is pretty expensive these days.

kansascitysooner
11/21/2008, 06:01 PM
Beer crafting is a fun and enjoyable hobby. Get the book "How to Brew" it is a step by step book that tells you everything that you need to know. The first thing that I can tell you is be very clean and very patient. As you have already done wine you have experience with both of these. So really the the major difference is the ingredients and the cooking of things. I have really only done extract brewing but will hopefully move on to partial-grain and then complete grain brewing. But for the most part, if you have done wine and mash you should have no problem....but I do recommend the book its good.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/21/2008, 06:07 PM
My dearest got me a kit for Father's Day. Once the grill is built and the cold kicks in hard, I'll be firing up the mash for awesome beer goodness.

They make some prepackaged powder stuff, supposed to make it easier on a doofus like myself. I wanna tinker with the recipes, though. Make my OWN schwarzbier, hefeweizen, maybe a dunkelweiss. Like anything, it takes time.

1890MilesToNorman
11/21/2008, 06:18 PM
TF, I got a name for your new fangled fantastic beer formula (assuming you perfect it), 'SF Drunky Town Brew". Anyone got that copyrighted yet? :D

SoonerInKCMO
11/21/2008, 06:45 PM
TF, I got a name for your new fangled fantastic beer formula (assuming you perfect it), 'SF Drunky Town Brew". Anyone got that copyrighted yet? :D

Ooh... just think of the custom labels some of the farkers could make. :D

Tulsa_Fireman
11/21/2008, 08:38 PM
Ooh... just think of the custom labels some of the farkers could make. :D

EXACTLY.

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 09:17 PM
Beer crafting is a fun and enjoyable hobby. Get the book "How to Brew" it is a step by step book that tells you everything that you need to know. The first thing that I can tell you is be very clean and very patient. As you have already done wine you have experience with both of these. So really the the major difference is the ingredients and the cooking of things. I have really only done extract brewing but will hopefully move on to partial-grain and then complete grain brewing. But for the most part, if you have done wine and mash you should have no problem....but I do recommend the book its good.

Screw that Yall Make the beer Ill make the OVJ
we can swap Like wifes an shat :pop:

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 09:19 PM

I think thats Called OVJ .:D

Mjcpr
11/21/2008, 09:33 PM
I thought you quit smoking, vet?

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 09:35 PM
I thought you quit smoking, vet?

I did . But after 6 Months It beat me :O

Mjcpr
11/21/2008, 09:36 PM
:(

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 09:37 PM
:(

Yup
But Im gonna do it again this year , Cause I done runned all them Bastages Off from MY hill :)

SoonerBorn68
11/22/2008, 03:16 AM
Ok Ive Made Wine and Shine , Now Im thinking about trying some Beer . any one have any experience in this .
What all do i need ?
how Much time Is involved in Making it to the Drinking stage?
Any an all help will Be speked :D

It usually takes anywhere from 2 weeks to a month depending on what you're making. I use to brew a lot but since I started the oilfield gig I haven't had time.

Check out this link:

http://www.thebrewshopokc.com/index.html Take a look around on it. It'll give you some basic info on equipment & stuff.

As stated earlier, clean is the key. Not just regular clean but ultra clean. Everything you use has to be sanitized or you'll get skunky beer. I would suggest you get a brew kit with a glass carboy & start out with the mixes & extracts. The "How To Brew" book is a must have too.

It's definately an art. I've had a lot of fun doing it but it takes time & patience.

olevetonahill
11/22/2008, 04:08 AM
It usually takes anywhere from 2 weeks to a month depending on what you're making. I use to brew a lot but since I started the oilfield gig I haven't had time.

Check out this link:

http://www.thebrewshopokc.com/index.html Take a look around on it. It'll give you some basic info on equipment & stuff.

As stated earlier, clean is the key. Not just regular clean but ultra clean. Everything you use has to be sanitized or you'll get skunky beer. I would suggest you get a brew kit with a glass carboy & start out with the mixes & extracts. The "How To Brew" book is a must have too.

It's definately an art. I've had a lot of fun doing it but it takes time & patience.

Thanks Bro
Ive decided Ill just make wine an OVJ , then Trade LOL
Swing By fer yer qt ;)