PDA

View Full Version : What Blu Ray Movies should I get?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2008, 04:28 PM
I have

All the PoTC's
Ratatouille
Ice Age 2
Iron Man
Rush Hour 3
Alvin and the Chipmunks
pre ordered Batman

anything else a must have?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/20/2008, 04:30 PM
Spaceballs.

The Great Escape.

The Dirty Dozen.

Anal Invaders 5.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/20/2008, 04:31 PM
last one sounds painful

SoonerStormchaser
11/20/2008, 04:33 PM
What? No good pronos available?

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2008, 04:56 PM
I have

All the PoTC's
Ratatouille
Ice Age 2
Iron Man
Rush Hour 3
Alvin and the Chipmunks
pre ordered Batman

anything else a must have?

www.highdefdigest.com

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/20/2008, 08:30 PM
Spaceballs.

The Great Escape.

The Dirty Dozen.

Anal Invaders 5.

Is there really a point to getting movies that weren't filmed in High Definition on Blu-Ray? I'll admit I haven't joined the ranks of the Blu-Ray Ownership just yet, but if it's not filmed on an HD camera, I really have yet to see the difference. I'm basing this off seeing old movies on the HD channels on Verizon FiOS, but to me, the only way it's worth the money is if it was filmed on an HD camera (like The Dark Knight)

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2008, 08:36 PM
Is there really a point to getting movies that weren't filmed in High Definition on Blu-Ray? I'll admit I haven't joined the ranks of the Blu-Ray Ownership just yet, but if it's not filmed on an HD camera, I really have yet to see the difference. I'm basing this off seeing old movies on the HD channels on Verizon FiOS, but to me, the only way it's worth the money is if it was filmed on an HD camera (like The Dark Knight)

Film has an effective resolution several orders of magnitude above the 1080p available on BD. Yes, there is a difference, particularly if the compressionist knows what they're doing.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2008, 08:46 PM
For example, some films that look amazing on BD that were shot on analog cameras as opposed to "HD" digital cameras:

Bladerunner
Life of Brian
Donnie Brasco
First Blood
The Fifth Element

Heck, the Star Trek: TOS remasters they put out on HD DVD looked phenomenal.

And don't put much stock in what you see on cable. Most movies on cable are heavily compressed before the service provider even sees them, and most of those compress it even further.