PDA

View Full Version : Best post in SF history

PDXsooner
11/20/2008, 01:37 AM
With this weekend's battle coming up, I figured it's be a great time to reflect on the greatest season in recent memory. (below post by David Earl)

Remember the feeling

> NCAA football 2001 is upon us. Practice has begun for freshmen and the upper classmen will soon follow. The time draws near when reflections on last season will diminish and talk of the new will prevail. We can't revel in the past forever. But let us once more, just one last time, bask in the glow of sweet remembrance. Let us remember the feeling of Sooner football 2000!

> UTEP

> Remember the feeling on the first game? Remember the anticipation, the wonder? Remember believing we'd be better and anxious to see? Remember the heat? Remember watching our Sooners soundly defeat a respectable UTEP team? Remember the feeling of watching Works refuse to be tackled? We walked away aware of weaknesses but hopeful in our strengths.

> ASU

> Remember the feeling of watching OU dispatch an improved ASU team? Remember seeing Works run wild again? Remember seeing Heupel throw against 8-10 man coverages? Remember the feeling when Works ripped off a 70-yard TD run? Remember seeing the team had improved but still needed work? Did you believe we were potential national champions at this time?

> Rice

> Remember the concern over Hatfield> '> s creative > "> flex-bone> "> . Remember watching the Sooner defense adjust and improve at stopping a team that nearly beat the Horns in 1999? Remember the hitting? Remember Everage breaking that guy> '> s hip? Remember Q having his breakout game?
> Remember Heupel passing well for the most part. Remember seeing that the team was maturing in subtle ways? Remember the feeling of hope that was swelling in each of us? It seemed reasonable we could compete for the Big 12 Title.

> KU

> Remember watching our Sooners struggle early against a modestly talented KU team? Remember seeing the defense get burned some, but recover late? Remember how the game showed the Sooners having to manifest character? Remember as our defense more and more throttled KU> '> s offense? Remember as the Sooners pulled away and you knew the team was going to be alright?

> Texas

> What memories! We> '> ll never forget this one. Remember the feeling when Heupel hit his receiver for a long one on the opening score? The Sooner defense quickly dispatched Texas and the offense scored again. Remember thinking about the 17-0 jump in the previous year? Remember waiting for the momentum to swing? When did it occur to you Texas was not coming back?
> Remember watching Q get much deserved attention? Remember the feeling when you saw Simms drop back and you knew he wasn> '> t looking off his receiver? Remember when you glanced at Rocky and you knew he noticed it too? Remember how the announcers talked about the knockout blow being delivered by a guy named Rocky? I> '> m getting a buzz just thinking about it.
> As the game wore on Texas continued to wear down. Remember how glorious it felt to behold it all? Remember the OU defense hitting? Remember Thompson stripping the ball? Total domination! Remember the afterglow? Remember reading the Texas papers the next day? Remember reading them again? Remember the laughter? Remember the feeling?

> KSU

> Remember the feeling when you watched the KSU run game have success early? Remember as you watched Sooner defense settle down and slow them down? Remember watching Thatcher return the kick and keep OU right in the game? Remember the feeling as the game broke in the second quarter? Remember how we> '> d asked ourselves, > "> Is OU really this good?> "> We were getting our answer!
> Remember the feeling when KSU began to slug their way back with some quick points. But OU held on and scored again. Remember? Remember when the dust settled on the field of war and the Sooners > arose triumphant? Remember knowing this game had set the stage for a national showdown with our old nemesis, the Huskers?

> NU

> Remember the sinking, sickening feeling of the first quarter? Remember being amazed as Eric Crouched dodged and weaved while Sooner defenders missed tackles? Remember his touchdown pass? Remember wishing that would be his last score of the day?
> Remember the drives that followed? Remember seeing the Sooner defense not just settle down, but grow up, almost in an instant. At once ours became one of the most daunting defenses in the nation. Time after time our guys crashed through the line and nailed Crouch, or stuffed one of Nebraska> '> s mammoth running backs. Hit after hit, sack after sack. Wham! The Sooner defense was proving itself to be for real.
> Remember feeling the momentum swing? Remember watching OU score and thinking we> '> re still in it? Remember the feeling when Heupel hit Curtis Fagan in stride for the tying score? Remember the feeling as the momentum continued to swing and the pressure mounted on Nebraska? Remember the blocked punt? Remember Norman> '> s end around into the endzone?
> Remember when the second half opened, wondering if NU would bounce back? Remember calculating the time left and wondering how long we could hold out? Remember Strait> '> s interception? Thompson> '> s block? Into the endzone for the killer score! Remember the feeling of watching the guys hold on and knowing we would be number one in the nation? Never forget that feeling!

> Baylor

> Remember the feeling of satisfaction when Heupel put together an incredible first half? Remember knowing OU was going to be okay and win big? Remember giving Hybl special notice, thinking of 2001?

> A&M

> Remember the feeling as the first half wore on and we knew we were in for a dogfight? Remember wondering if this Sooner squad had another magical game in them? Remember seeing A&M start to pull away in the third? Remember trying to believe? I was on my exercise bike, about to go nuts, pumping furiously with each passing minute.
> Remember the feeling when Griffin ran low, staying in his feet for the score? Remember the feeling when Marshall snatched the ball out of the air and ripped down the sideline for the go-ahead score? Remember the feeling when Ontei Jones batted the ball down to kill A&M> '> s drive inside the 10? Remember thinking, > "> Sooner Magic> "> ? Did you cry? Do you remember the feeling?

> Texas Tech

> Remember the feeling when Thatcher took the pick about 80 yards to the house? Remember watching the Raiders move up and down the field, but come away empty handed? Remember observing how good our defense had become? Remember seeing the fight in Tech and feeling respect? Remember the way our defense hit that day? The Raider fans remember, I can assure you!
> Remember Heupel> '> s last scoring drive? Remember the precision, the professionalism, the leadership? Remember, seeing that and knowing Heupel was a special young man? Remember our defense snuffing out their final hopes?

> OSU

> Remember watching OU> '> s first scoring drive and thinking this would be a blowout? Remember observing Heupel> '> s elbow and knowing something was wrong? Remember watching in amazement as our defense carried the day? Remember realizing OU was becoming a team with a great defense and a good offense, not the other way around? Remember?
> Remember watching Bell for the Cowboys break a long score? Remember wondering if OU could put it away? Remember the defense making that stand? Remember Strait batting the ball down? Remember the feeling of seeing a team that had yet another magical finish in its bag of tricks?

> KSU

> Remember the mixed feeling of dread and anticipation? Remember the absolute war?! Remember wondering if Heupel> '> s elbow was going to be okay? Remember watching the OU offense move the ball well against a very stubborn KSU defense? Remember watching our defense hand in an even better performance than before? >
> Remember watching our offense move the ball in the second half? Remember wondering if we> '> d get the score to ice the game? Remember watching Smith take Cooper to school? Remember the feeling when Heupel ran in the endzone for a score?
> Remember the frustration of third and short? Remember seeing Heupel run the option? Remember seeing Griffin get the first down and thinking he might score? Remember the field goal? Remember the feeling of knowing our squad was champion of one of football> '> s greatest conferences?

> Florida State

> Remember the feeling of the pre game hype? Remember watching Marshall and Weinke mouth back and forth? Remember perceiving our defense was really fired up? Remember in the early going when it became evident that FSU would NOT consistently move the football? Remember when OU got its first field goal? Did you think that would be enough to win the game?
> Remember seeing the ball just sail off of Savage> '> s fingertips? Remember the feeling when OU got anther field goal? Did you think six points would be enough? Remember watching the FSU offense get more and more frustrated? Remember the continual shots of Minus looking goofy on the sidelines? Remember that feeling of satisfaction?
> Remember watching our defense tackle like no other team in college football? Remember watching our special teams hit like thunder? Remember when Calmus hit Weinke in the gut and the ball came out? Remember when the real Roy Williams fell on it? Remember seeing Griffin high-step into the endzone and knowing the game was ours?
> Remember watching FSU fizzle? Remember Bowden humble and apologetic? Remember that great feeling? Calling all your friends.
> Remember the feeling immediately after the game when they showed Thatcher and Fletcher hugging? You know those two had been through a lot together. They rode OU football from the basement to the top of the mountain. Remember? Remember identifying with that thought as a fan?

> Never, never forget the feeling of the magical run that was OU football 2000. More victories are sure to follow, probably more championships. But none will be so sweet, so special as the team that rose from the abyss to once again claim the football mountaintop. Here> '> s to the 2000 Oklahoma Sooners, national champions. Boomer Sooner!

instigator
11/20/2008, 02:22 AM
Nice to look back, but dang I'm ready to add some new memories to that list.

rainiersooner
11/20/2008, 02:27 AM
Nice post! I remember it. I was in Europe during the Orange Bowl...I made my buddy put his phone up to the television speaker and I listened to the whole game. I think the cost of that phone bill could have bought me a round trip tickets and a seat in the Orange Bowl. Good times!!!

WA. Sooner
11/20/2008, 02:40 AM
I was setting in a lounge at SeaTac airport praying that the flight would be late. It was and I got to see the whole game. On the flight to phoenix the captian congratulated the sooners ( maybe he was watching and that was why the flight was late :)

Crucifax Autumn
11/20/2008, 03:33 AM
I remember all that and bow down to those guys.

Now...let's have some new positive memories and FINISH this time.

Lott's Bandana
11/20/2008, 08:42 AM
OB:
I was in a Phoenix hotel room going bonkers. Only being one score ahead was giving me fits. When the game was over, I drove to the nearest sports bar to see if there were any Sooners fans there, but alas there was some Coyotes game or something on all the TV's and much disinterest. Still, nothing could ruin my joy.

KingBarry
11/20/2008, 04:40 PM
I was at the Orange Bowl to see Mr Stoops hoist the crystal football.

Sucks to be y'all!

8timechamps
11/20/2008, 04:50 PM
No disrespect to DE, but the Kasey Studdard thread will forever be the greatest of all time.

birddog
11/20/2008, 04:56 PM
Nice post! I remember it. I was in Europe during the Orange Bowl...I made my buddy put his phone up to the television speaker and I listened to the whole game. I think the cost of that phone bill could have bought me a round trip tickets and a seat in the Orange Bowl. Good times!!!

you didn't have computer access there? i listened to the whole thing in london on my computer.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/20/2008, 05:03 PM
Remember when our D and special teams could REALLY tackle?

kbsooner21
11/20/2008, 05:16 PM
Damn, that gave me goosebumps :D