PDA

View Full Version : Was it worth it, Texas A&M?

oupride
11/19/2008, 10:42 PM
R. C. Slocum was the head football coach at Texas A&M University from 1989 until 2002 and he is the winningest coach in Texas A&M football history. Slocum continually pressed Texas A&M to update the athletic facilities so that the university could compete with the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Oklahoma in football recruiting. The university officials finally listened to his pleas and began a large facility expansion project. Unfortunately, this was too late to save Slocum. He was fired in 2002 after a 6-6 season, which included a win over number-one-ranked Oklahoma. He was succeeded by http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6156/franchione1105hv7.jpg as head coach.

josh09
11/19/2008, 10:47 PM
Lets give a round of applause to those aggies. :D

Outopia
11/20/2008, 10:24 AM
The text book example of how "NOT" to do things. How "aggy".

Widescreen
11/20/2008, 10:41 AM
If Stoops were to go 6-6, I suspect there would be a lot of people around here who'd demand he be fired.

Also, Fran was a pretty hot commodity when he was hired so that just turned out to be a mistake - not necessarily aggie stupidity. Hiring Sherman may turn out to be aggie stupidity though.

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2008, 10:48 AM
Agreed. This is hindsight. I think most everyone thought that Slocum's time had come and it was time to move on. Fran was considered a major hire.

Besides, didn't we run Gibbs out of town for you-know-who?

S008NER
11/20/2008, 10:57 AM
nebish
a&M
one common factor= Bill Byrne

footballfanatic
11/20/2008, 12:33 PM
For me, hiring Fran is less folly than hiring Sherman. Fran was considered a great success, and everyone applauded the move. RC did have a bad year, thought they beat OU. Sherman is IMHO a horrible hire. He doesn't have the excitement around him, he is coming form the pros (where he was a marginal success as a coach) and he doesn't look like he can relate to kids. He was a safe hire, ans that is the best that can be said about him. Why not go for Patterson at TCU or Rice at UTEP? Sherman had no magic behind him, and it is showing on the field. And don't gve me the "he doesn't have any players." Look what Bill Parcells has done in Miami with the same players that won one game last year. Sherman can at least make the pitch to players that he has pro experience--but watch the team (if you can bear to) This s just the beginning of a very unsuccessful period.

badger
11/20/2008, 01:17 PM
RC would have had to retire eventually. His voice would have given out from all the yelling.
:rcmad::rcmad::rcmad::rcmad::rcmad::rcmad::rcmad:

badger
11/20/2008, 01:21 PM
Fran was considered a great success
"TCU this, TCU that! Wow, watch LT run!"
http://south.usd259.org/Athletics/html/Franchione.JPG
"Whoops, nevermind, gotta go cash in on LT's success. Raise the roof, Bammer!"
http://uanews.ua.edu/jul02/images/football_72.jpg
"Haha, I know I just convinced all you Bammer players to stick by the team and such, but truth be told, I was referring to YOU, not me. Bye, now, Fran Fran needs more money!"
http://images.morris.com/images/cjonline/mdControlled/cms/2007/07/25/186761069.jpg
"My expanding belly is nowhere compared to the expanding margin of loss here."
http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/47/47795/folders/42070/772623Fran77.jpeg

"Scuze me, Bill Byrne. You just fired me, so I'm gonna walk out on you and such --- you know, that whole 'can't fire me, I quit' mentality? Right..."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/11-07/1124fran.jpg

Crimsontothecore
11/20/2008, 01:25 PM
I liked Slocum. I remember when a writer asked him what he thought of OU hiring this Stoops guy. The smile left his face and he looked the guy straight in the eye and said "they just awakened a sleeping giant"

TexasLidig8r
11/20/2008, 02:55 PM
You know... no matter the animosity which exists between our schools, there has to be a begrudging respect because of the on-field accomplishments... the list of conference and national championships and award winners who have played for our respective universities.

With aggy... no.. not happening.. never. aggy had ONE good decade from 1985 - 1995 in which they were on probation at the start and end of the decade.. otherwise, they are mired in mediocrity. It was 1956 the last time they ended the year ranked in the top 5!

Screw em.

Mudhole them.

:mad:

badger
11/20/2008, 03:10 PM
blah blah blah i'm a whorn talking

So Liddo... how bout a big ol' OU logo for your avatar since you need us to win both of our games for you to have a chance at the Big 12 championship, hmmm? Here, I'll provide you a Christmas- themed one!
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/hudson1469/OU/OU-Logo_Christmas.gif

TexasLidig8r
11/20/2008, 03:15 PM
So Liddo... how bout a big ol' OU logo for your avatar since you need us to win both of our games for you to have a chance at the Big 12 championship, hmmm? Here, I'll provide you a Christmas- themed one!

Actually... if the sand pirates win this weekend, and then lose to either Baylor (yeah right.. not gonna happen) but fall in the Big XII champeenship game in the snow and cold to Misery.. we're playing the SEC champ for the MNC.

JLEW1818
11/20/2008, 03:17 PM
I heard they might give it to Poke state if three teams tie.

badger
11/20/2008, 03:17 PM
Actually... if the sand pirates win this weekend, and then lose to either Baylor (yeah right.. not gonna happen) but fall in the Big XII champeenship game in the snow and cold to Misery.. we're playing the SEC champ for the MNC.

Oh, so you're fine with no Big 12 candy holder trophy then?

Well, that's good... because mack's only ever gonna win you won :D:D:D

:P Oh, and since we've already confirmed there's no hope for Tech losing to Baylor, why not just go OU on us already. You can make the logo burnt orange if it makes you feel like less of a traitor.

TexasLidig8r
11/20/2008, 04:33 PM
I heard they might give it to Poke state if three teams tie.

Okie Lite? the 4th place team?

Yeah.. right.. not so much.. at all.

TexasLidig8r
11/20/2008, 04:35 PM
Oh, so you're fine with no Big 12 candy holder trophy then?

Not if it means another national champeenship!

So, just think... you could be rid of that beautiful burnt orange in your sig and avi in TWO DAYS!!!

Take the bet Badj... you KNOW you want to!!!

Take it...

Take it...

Taxman71
11/20/2008, 04:42 PM
I was scared to death when A$M got Fran that the Big 12 would become the Big 3. 77-0 quickly erased that fear.

I never thought Tech or Mizzou would be the ones fighting for that 3rd spot in the Big 12 over the aggies.

badger
11/20/2008, 04:54 PM
Not if it means another national champeenship!

So, just think... you could be rid of that beautiful burnt orange in your sig and avi in TWO DAYS!!!
Or I could be rid of it now! But I'm not.

Take the bet Badj...
No.

you KNOW you want to!!!
Leave me alone, I have a REAL end-of-season to worry about.

Take it...
No, thank you.

Take it...
Not a chance.

badger
11/20/2008, 06:31 PM
Ok, Lid. I feel fellow SF.com poster's pain here. I will issue a compromise, because really, there's only a week left, thus I will only trade a week for a week.

As in... if Tech should pull off its first victory in Norman under Mikey, I will keep the avvie up through the Big 12 Championship.

However, should we win, I need a week of your avvie in return.

As you whorns will be rooting for OU to win in the last two games anyway, your new avvie will be the logo on this thread, the OU with a Santa hat. If it helps ease the pain, you can give it an orange hue if you want.

So... an extra week in avatar hell against a week for you in hell. That's my first, last, and final offer and I am only doing it because it is so obvious to so many fans here that they've had enough of your logo.

TexasLidig8r
11/20/2008, 06:38 PM
Come on Badj.. where's your confidence in your team...

http://www.bible-truth.org/eve.jpg

That orange can be gone in TWO DAYS... two.. little days... just one small bite of the apple Badj.... TWO DAYS... think of the joy!... TWO DAYS..... elation... two days.. just think.. cheering on your Sooners to a stirring victory AND changing your avi and sig that same night.. The joy!!!

Jacie
11/20/2008, 07:22 PM
Man, you are evil.

badger
11/20/2008, 08:21 PM
Of course, da baj (with NormanPride, of course) will be on vacation next week so in two days I won't see it either way as we're leavin' on a jet plane and by the time we get back, the bet is over.

Again, I'm just offering that FINAL, ONLY, and NON-NEGOTIABLE deal for the benefit of others... oh, and we're running out of time to debate, so take or leave.

nytehorn
11/20/2008, 08:43 PM
Sorry, Baj...but most of us Texas fans, at least the groups I talk with, are rooting for Tech. We feel the better path to the MNC will be for you to lose to Tech. We would much rather have our fate in the hands of senior Chase Daniel, making his last stand, than "I'm a man at 41!", Gundy!! :D

stoopified
11/20/2008, 08:50 PM
I liked Slocum. I remember when a writer asked him what he thought of OU hiring this Stoops guy. The smile left his face and he looked the guy straight in the eye and said "they just awakened a sleeping giant"I remember that and have always liked RC if for no other REASON THAN HE WAS THE FIRST TO SEE THE TRUTH.

OU_Sooners75
11/21/2008, 04:17 AM
Sorry, Baj...but most of us Texas fans, at least the groups I talk with, are rooting for Tech. We feel the better path to the MNC will be for you to lose to Tech. We would much rather have our fate in the hands of senior Chase Daniel, making his last stand, than "I'm a man at 41!", Gundy!! :D

Face it. The chances of Texas making the Big 12 title game and/or the National Championship game is slim to none.

1. If Tech wins, they will be playing Missouri.
2. Missouri sucks balls and will not beat Tech.
3. If USC wins out they would get a look at the NCG before the non big 12 champ Texas. At least if they and Oregon St win out, they are co-PAC-10 champs.

Your best bet, if you were smart as a fan base, would be cheering on OU the next two weeks to give Texas a better shot at both!

OU_Sooners75
11/21/2008, 04:18 AM
What is this bet Lid?

I may take it on.

TexasLidig8r
11/21/2008, 09:22 AM
Face it. The chances of Texas making the Big 12 title game and/or the National Championship game is slim to none.

1. If Tech wins, they will be playing Missouri.
2. Missouri sucks balls and will not beat Tech.
3. If USC wins out they would get a look at the NCG before the non big 12 champ Texas. At least if they and Oregon St win out, they are co-PAC-10 champs.

Your best bet, if you were smart as a fan base, would be cheering on OU the next two weeks to give Texas a better shot at both!

Do you not know how the system works? USC has NO ONE left to play.. what.. Nuetered Dame and UCLA? bah.

They are far behind Texas in the computers, the Harris poll and coaches poll. The only way they pass Texas is if those idiot sheep humpin aggy spring the upset of all upsets.

If Tech beats OU, but loses to Misery, Texas plays in the MNC against the winner of Florida/Alabama (assuming Florida does not lose to Fla State and Bama doesnt lose to Allbarn).

OU_Sooners75
11/21/2008, 09:31 AM
Do you not know how the system works? USC has NO ONE left to play.. what.. Nuetered Dame and UCLA? bah.

They are far behind Texas in the computers, the Harris poll and coaches poll. The only way they pass Texas is if those idiot sheep humpin aggy spring the upset of all upsets.

If Tech beats OU, but loses to Misery, Texas plays in the MNC against the winner of Florida/Alabama (assuming Florida does not lose to Fla State and Bama doesnt lose to Allbarn).

Been on vacation, wasn't sure.

So basically you are wanting to bet someone (mainly badger) that Texas will make the NCG if Tech beats OU and play the SEC champ for the title?

That is all?

What do I win if the SEC is not a representative? And if Tech does not beat OU?

badger
11/21/2008, 09:45 AM
I don't see whorn logic in how an undefeated Tech and an undefeated Bammer (or perhaps a one-loss Bammer or a one-loss Florida) would somehow be behind a one-loss Texas, especially seeing how your season is over and how you have absolutely NO STATEMENT GAMES LEFT when those three teams do... but then again, look what fanbase we are talking about :D

Bet off then. I'll serve out my time in purgatory and giggle when you're all in the Holiday Bowl for the millionth year in a row.

badger
11/21/2008, 10:35 AM
I can see that I've hit a roadblock in negotiations. :( Sorry, folks. Just know that win or lose, Texas loses both ways :D

But wait! If OU loses than we're a sure fire hit for the national title game! I mean, We're a one-loss team that's ranked in the top four! Top four equals national championship! Who cares if we're behind three teams that would get in before us!

Meanwhile, elsewhere on planet phail (aka the state of texas), TexAgs are fuming over Sherman's coaching methods of motivation: A Bunsen burner. (http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=1304515&forum_id=5)

TexasLidig8r
11/21/2008, 10:53 AM
I don't see whorn logic in how an undefeated Tech and an undefeated Bammer (or perhaps a one-loss Bammer or a one-loss Florida) would somehow be behind a one-loss Texas, especially seeing how your season is over and how you have absolutely NO STATEMENT GAMES LEFT when those three teams do... but then again, look what fanbase we are talking about :D

Bet off then. I'll serve out my time in purgatory and giggle when you're all in the Holiday Bowl for the millionth year in a row.

Hillbillies... :rolleyes:

If sand aggy and bama go undefeated, clearly, they will be playing for the national champeenship.

As it is, in BCS rankings...

1. Bama
2. Sand aggy
3. Texas

IF, sand aggy loses to the Land Thieves, the computers are going to crucify them because of their schedule and they will fall behind Texas, and OU and Florida. Their remaining game would be against Baylor. Hello Cotton Bowl for Pirate Mike and his crew.

IF, Florida loses to Fla State in Tallywackerhassee, and they beat Bama, Texas goes to the MNC.

Of course, if the Land Thieves win against Sand aggy and Okie Lite, despite the overwhelming belief on here, right now it is too close to call as to who will be ranked higher in the BCS standings and will play Misery in the Big XII champeenship.

In short, it appears when Texas mudholes aggy on Turkey Day night, that will mean we either play in the Fiesta Bowl (assuming the winner of the Big XII champeenships plays in the MNC).. or.. the MNC.

Oh. don't knock the Holiday Bowl. After all, it is the only bowl Stoops can win.

badger
11/21/2008, 10:58 AM
blah blah texas so awesome we no go to holiday bowl this year we go to championship hahaha land thief losers whook'em whorns! Oh. don't knock the Holiday Bowl. After all, it is the only bowl Stoops can win.

I would say that the Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowls obviously don't count for shizzle to you, but that would an insult, right? (ok then, insult away!) Obviously you don't remember that those are the only two bowls Macky can win aside from the Holiday. Stoops, however, also won the Orange.

baj: 1
lid: 1 (I give you one point for the bet win)

TexasLidig8r
11/21/2008, 11:18 AM
I would say that the Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowls obviously don't count for shizzle to you, but that would an insult, right? (ok then, insult away!) Obviously you don't remember that those are the only two bowls Macky can win aside from the Holiday. Stoops, however, also won the Orange.

baj: 1
lid: 1 (I give you one point for the bet win)

Didn't Stoopsie still have John Blake's recruits when he won those bowl games? Oh.. and were those during the Reagan Administration? :D

Stoops won the Orange Bowl?????

Badj.. game, set and match to Lid!

The Orange Bowl? Really???

Don't you still have horrible visions of Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart raping and pillaging from your Orange Bowl trip? :D

The Orange Bowl????

badger
11/21/2008, 11:29 AM
blah blah making fun of recruiting because i'm living in such a recruiting hotbed blah blah

Losing it once doesn't change the fact that we won it with Stoops at the helm, just like us losing to Texas this year doesn't change the fact that Stoops has beaten you guys SIX times during his coaching reign at OU. Mack has only won four.

Now, we can continue this fight, but I'd much rather wait for more ammo to come in... wait a little more than 24 hours :D

TexasLidig8r
11/21/2008, 11:38 AM
Been on vacation, wasn't sure.

So basically you are wanting to bet someone (mainly badger) that Texas will make the NCG if Tech beats OU and play the SEC champ for the title?

That is all?

What do I win if the SEC is not a representative? And if Tech does not beat OU?

nah.. I was pokin at the Badj a little bit trying to get her to keep her sig and avi a little longer.

This fall has been so much fun.

badger
11/21/2008, 12:05 PM
nah.. I was pokin at the Badj a little bit trying to get her to keep her sig and avi a little longer.

This fall has been so much fun.

Your fall in Lubbock was far more fun than your torture of me.

Oh look! The little ants are rushing the field! No, no... ants off the field, please. Play is under the review. Call stands! Ants rush the field again! No, no... ants off the field, please. We have a kickoff to do. Kickoff results in nothing! ANTS RUSH THE FIELD AGAIN!!!!1!!

:D When you ground and pound your old rival at home, there was only one thing that could top such a win -- ants. :D

Here, let me remind you:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PoYwqUqgjyM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PoYwqUqgjyM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TexasLidig8r
11/21/2008, 12:27 PM
You're living vicariously through others now Badj???

How unbecoming for a Sooner!!! :eek:

Let me give you something much more relevant..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbSaXAEoYvQ

:D

badger
11/21/2008, 12:39 PM
I see your Shipley and raise you a Superman:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1MpHG5x6q0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1MpHG5x6q0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

44BluesExplosion
11/21/2008, 09:33 PM
We live in a glass house fellas...

Widescreen
11/21/2008, 09:50 PM
I see your Shipley and raise you a Superman:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1MpHG5x6q0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1MpHG5x6q0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Heh. "Do these guys ever lose a big game?"

GreaterState
11/22/2008, 12:18 AM
Of course, if the Land Thieves win against Sand aggy and Okie Lite, despite the overwhelming belief on here, right now it is too close to call as to who will be ranked higher in the BCS standings and will play Misery in the Big XII champeenship.

Thank you, Lid, for pointing this out, since there are a surprising number of dirt burglars in various threads convinced it's "win and we're in!" to all title games. Enough so that I will be expecting a mini- or maxi-meltdown to occur here if OU beats Tech and then settles in at the Longhorns' old No. 3 spot -- or worse.

People who are honest with themselves don't know what's gonna happen in a three-way tie.

oupride
11/22/2008, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the post