PDA

View Full Version : Was it worth it, June Jones?

Jacie
11/19/2008, 07:38 PM
2007, he led his undefeated Hawaii Warriors to a BCS bowl (of course, they got the shiza kicked out of them but they were there!). He was the toast of the island state, which anyone who has been or lived there describes as paradise.

2008, he has led his SMU Ponies to a 1-10 record with a game remianing against a not-as-bad-as-his-team Southern Mississippi (5-6). He traded living in paradise for a job on a campus in Highland Park, an island of wealth surrounded by north Dallas, a city whose mostly minority residents are viewed with suspicion whenever they find themselves anywhere near HP after dark.

June Jones, who could go from 11-1 to 1-11 in one year, traded his career for a bigger paycheck.

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/19/2008, 07:47 PM
He traded living in paradise for a job on a campus in Highland Park, an island of wealth surrounded by north Dallas, a city whose mostly minority residents are viewed with suspicion whenever they find themselves anywhere near HP after dark.

Minorities come north of I-30 after dark?

SbOrOiNaEnR
11/19/2008, 07:48 PM
Stupid computer...makin' be do a 2x post...

birddog
11/19/2008, 07:53 PM
it's been 1 year. isn't it a bit too soon to banish this guy from the coaching fraternity forever?

snp
11/19/2008, 07:53 PM
Judging him after the first year of a rebuilding project? Yea, makes total sense :rolleyes:

SoonerDood
11/19/2008, 07:55 PM
Didn't he have a hang-up about the state knowing how much he was being paid? Since Hawaii was a state university they had to release it to the public, but now he's at a private school and they don't have to? Am I way off base?

badger
11/19/2008, 08:02 PM
Didn't he have a hang-up about the state knowing how much he was being paid? Since Hawaii was a state university they had to release it to the public, but now he's at a private school and they don't have to? Am I way off base?

:P They didn't have to release it, but we all found out anyway :P

sooner94
11/19/2008, 08:10 PM
He has inherited zero talent. Give him a couple of years to recruit. A lot of talented guys will go to SMU to play for him.

badger
11/19/2008, 08:12 PM
He has inherited zero talent. Give him a couple of years to recruit. A lot of talented guys will go to SMU to play for him.

:D You mean like North Dallas guys that want to go to HP without getting weird looks at night???

:P Ohhhhhh, that was lame, but so is talking about smooooo.

hawaii 5-0
11/19/2008, 10:42 PM
Hawaii spent squat on it's football program. Colt Brennan complained that there wasn't soap in the showers. Even the paint in Jones's office was peeling. Jones took his team from a losing season to an undefeated BCS team. And no 3 star players. Even Colt Brennan, 3rd in the Heisman last year was a walk-on. He had nothing lest to prove in Hawaii and with his current contract he can still afford a house in Hawaii if he wants.
Now June Jones has the Fat Cat SMU Alumni opening up their fat wallets and Jones will turn that program around. His pass-happy offense will attract QBs and WRs. He's got a nice list of players that have gone Pro and that's the goal of almost all high schoolers when picking a school.

June Jones had almost nothing to work with this season. Give him a few years, wouldja ?

:cool: 5-0

bluedogok
11/19/2008, 11:09 PM
He could easily build SMU into a Tulsa like competitive program in C-USA, especially since the SMU administration has decided losing for the 20 years or so since the death penalty sucks.

Hawaii thinks that "living in paradise" should be reason enough to stay there.

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2008, 11:00 AM
He traded living in paradise for a job on a campus in Highland Park, an island of wealth surrounded by north Dallas, a city whose mostly minority residents are viewed with suspicion whenever they find themselves anywhere near HP after dark.

So living in Beverly Hills would be... bad?

June Jones spends almost all of his time on campus and at home. As long as he has good neighbors and good living quarters, I fail to see his problem.

And unless you make tons of money, Hawaii is anything but a paradise.

Soonermagik
11/20/2008, 02:21 PM
I think he was foolish to leave Hawaii. The allure of the islands could have attracted big time athletes if they could keep winning most of their games. I could see Hawaii has a big time program one day if they got a good coach/recruiter.

Oh well.... he made his decision and now he has to find a way to win.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/20/2008, 02:33 PM
I think he was foolish to leave Hawaii. The allure of the islands could have attracted big time athletes if they could keep winning most of their games. I could see Hawaii has a big time program one day if they got a good coach/recruiter.

Oh well.... he made his decision and now he has to find a way to win.\

Hawaii can't get anyone to play them. Being the visiting team has got to totally suck. It would be easier to play Puerto Rico or Cuba. No big time athletes go there. They can get a few decent players and some big assed Samoans.

Jones is going to do fine at SMU. They just need to give him 4 years.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2008, 02:58 PM
Heh. The only reason Colt Brennan was a "walk on" was because the university frowns on giving rapists scholarships right out of the box.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2008, 02:59 PM

Oh well.... he made his decision and now he has to find a way to win.

Tough to recruit when you have a miniscule recruiting budget and 99% of the recruits are a thousand or so miles away.

Hawai'i had no commitment to a winning program. SMU does. Jones made the right choice.

Jimminy Crimson
11/20/2008, 02:59 PM
June & SMU will be fine.

King Crimson
11/20/2008, 03:02 PM
Heh. The only reason Colt Brennan was a "walk on" was because the university frowns on giving rapists scholarships right out of the box.

not at CU. Colt was encouraged to move on after showing little Colt to some coeds. he was not at all related to the rape allegations at CU under Barnett.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2008, 03:03 PM
Oh, my bad. Mopery, not rape.

King Crimson
11/20/2008, 03:05 PM
Oh, my bad. Mopery, not rape.

he was a flasher, not a rapist.

i can tell you some academic misconduct stories from that time as well.

KingBarry
11/20/2008, 03:24 PM

So, go ahead.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2008, 04:43 PM

Right.

Mopery: The act of exposing yourself to a blind person.

Leroy Lizard
11/20/2008, 04:46 PM

A lot of recruits say they want to commit so they can get a free recruiting trip to Hawaii. Getting them to join on for four years is hard.

bluedogok
11/20/2008, 09:32 PM
I have read some stories about how bad of shape the athletic facilities and Aloha Stadium are and the administration really has no commitment to having a good program there, something along the lines of most Division II schools have it better. When Hawaii was horrible, it was easy to get home games there like when OU played them. With even a decent team there it got much harder for them to schedule games as well.

yermom
11/20/2008, 10:14 PM
the fact he went there instead of some BCS school seems to paint a pretty bad picture of things at Hawai'i

remember Mangino's first couple of years?