PDA

View Full Version : So, Juan Patillo Wants to Redshirt

Sooner04
11/19/2008, 02:33 PM
Lots of speculation about how and why Pattillo redshirted, and the word is it was totally Juan's doing. I've never heard of something like this occurring. To me, it almost sounds selfish. To me, it seems like he doesn't want to get lost in Blake's shadow.

jkm and I have gone round and round on various bball topics in the past, but we both agree one of the worst decisions in the history of the program was Kelvin deciding to redshirt Detrick in '03. But that was on the coach, who saw a rough transition after losing Hollis, Ebi and Quannas before the '04 season.

To me, you can NEVER have too many players. Yes, sometimes coaches can get enamored with the numbers (Roy Williams used to substitute in waves at KU and get roasted for it.) but geez, if one guy is off it's always nice to have another capable body.

We go eight deep if you count Wright. Nine if Willis turns on the consistency switch. Patillio would've fit in there somewhere.

Collier11
11/19/2008, 02:37 PM
From what I hear, with Taylor and Blake being gone after this yr Coach had approached him about sitting out a yr to get better, also he would be a major cog in the next 2-3 teams. I have no problem with that, also he has been injured the last month or so

Sooner04
11/19/2008, 02:49 PM
I'm hearing the opposite. My uncle had been hearing it was Pattillo, and supposedly Capel's tone on the matter in radio interviews led him to believe that it was not Jeff's idea.

We could overwhelm people athletically in the post and in the press, but not if guys are begging for a shirt.

This troubles me.

Collier11
11/19/2008, 02:57 PM
At this point then it is all speculation if we have two diff stories. Lets see what comes out, maybe if he did ask for the RS it was due to his nagging injury? Who knows...

badger
11/19/2008, 03:14 PM
What's good for Juan seems to also be good for Oklahoma here. Let him grow, get experience practicing at a college level, and be an even stronger player for us next year.

Right now, the roster is healthy and full. If we were in a situation like UNC where the star is down and freak dunky accident leaves the starting center out for the season (just saw the opposite-of-highlight on Sportscenter moments ago), then you might be looking to have more guys available.

Whether it's Juan being selfish or a coach's suggestion, either way, it seems fine for the season right now (not condoning being selfish at all, just not seeing how it will drastically effect us at this point).

Sooner04
11/19/2008, 03:26 PM
Our program has been plagued by bad timing since we became a powerhouse. In '86, we brought everybody back but lost Wayman to the pros. In '89, we were never able to overcome the loss of the General. Same story in '03, as we were never able to offset the loss of Ace.

Chances to really be special don't come along very often. We're not that kind of program in basketball. If you've got bullets, you've got to fire them all.

Kelvin wanted a bridge to his freshman class of Lavender, McKenzie and Foust. He redshirted Detrick, and it cost us a Final Four in '03. Will Patillo matter as much? I guess we'll never know.

Collier11
11/19/2008, 03:29 PM
I dont know that Detrick would have made that much of a diff, that guy was so inconsistent

Sooner04
11/19/2008, 03:45 PM
I dont know that Detrick would have made that much of a diff, that guy was so inconsistent
In Jason's defense, he was pretty solid off the bench in '02. We went on a trip to Costa Rica before the '04 season and he suffered a pretty severe abdominal injury that never really healed. It affected him the entire season.

He would've been healthy in '03.

Collier11
11/19/2008, 04:07 PM
Im talking prior to injury, the yr that you are speaking of. He had All-Big 12 talent but never seemed to put it together for an entire game

87sooner
11/19/2008, 04:20 PM
patillo should play....he was supposed to be a star by some folks' accounts.....
he's needed for depth this year...quality depth.....experienced depth.
a juco coming in and asking for a redshirt may be one of the craziest things i've ever heard.

King Crimson
11/19/2008, 04:28 PM
In Jason's defense, he was pretty solid off the bench in '02. We went on a trip to Costa Rica before the '04 season and he suffered a pretty severe abdominal injury that never really healed. It affected him the entire season.

He would've been healthy in '03.

that's how i remember it. Detrick had some nice games as a senior. we weren't very good though.

scotplum
11/19/2008, 04:46 PM
My lingering memory of Detrick was the Michigan State game where he fouled the guy on the 3 pointer. I believe that also happened in Norman against Missouri (Kleiza) that led to them beating us in OT. Not fair, I know, especially since we won the Michigan State game and Detrick was a huge reason why. That's just what sticks in my head.

King Crimson
11/19/2008, 05:06 PM
we lost in double OT at Colorado (punch me in the stomach) the year we are a Byron Mouton foul-the-shooter in teh conference tournament of making the NCAA and Detrick led an amazing comeback in that game. we had no business being in that game as badly as we played. we lost, but he was money.

the couple losses/choke jobs we've had against MU there's no one person to blame. we blew big leads in those games.

Sooner04
11/19/2008, 05:28 PM
At this point then it is all speculation if we have two diff stories. Lets see what comes out, maybe if he did ask for the RS it was due to his nagging injury? Who knows...
KREF had an interview with Capel today and Myron broached the subject. Unfortunately, I think I'm right on this one. Gathering the info up, I would not be surprised if Patillo never plays a minute for OU.

When the coach says, "Look, I'm not going to beg someone to play" you know it wasn't mutual.

I wonder if Jeff will give Juan the Sherri Coale/Lindsey Casey treatment and find somewhere else for him to play next year.

Collier11
11/19/2008, 05:40 PM
KREF had an interview with Capel today and Myron broached the subject. Unfortunately, I think I'm right on this one. Gathering the info up, I would not be surprised if Patillo never plays a minute for OU.

When the coach says, "Look, I'm not going to beg someone to play" you know it wasn't mutual.

I wonder if Jeff will give Juan the Sherri Coale/Lindsey Casey treatment and find somewhere else for him to play next year.

That sucks, I sure hope not but it would appear so

NormanPride
11/19/2008, 05:45 PM
Maybe he asked for the shirt to heal, knowing he would just be a 6th or even 7th man? If Coach allowed it, he must have had a better reason than just "I wanna wait until Blake is gone"

Of course, this is assuming that he asked for the shirt, which is not certain.

birddog
11/19/2008, 06:51 PM
i wish he realized the time is now. if we could go that deep to the bench like louisville did last year, we honestly could make a serious run.

is he that big of a difference maker that he could carry the team next year?

Eielson
11/19/2008, 08:03 PM
Lots of speculation about how and why Pattillo redshirted, and the word is it was totally Juan's doing. I've never heard of something like this occurring. To me, it almost sounds selfish. To me, it seems like he doesn't want to get lost in Blake's shadow.

Yes, he is doing the best thing he could for himself, but it is also the best thing for the team. I can't imagine going through a full year of practicing and not getting to play in any games. I think the more selfish thing to do would be to waste a year of eligibility just to get some playing time and make practices go by easier. We need him more next year than we need him this year. I'm personally kinda impressed.

stoopified
11/22/2008, 11:10 AM
I don't see the proble,we are still a deep team.If Patillo is afraid of competition,it will show itself next year.

87sooner
11/24/2008, 10:15 PM
I don't see the proble,we are still a deep team.If Patillo is afraid of competition,it will show itself next year.

we are not a deep team.....at least notyet......just look at the minutes played in the gw game.
patillo should not be redshirting......it is not best for the team......he could help the team this year.

the_ouskull
11/24/2008, 10:57 PM
I'm just throwing this out there, playing *sshole's Advocate...

What if Patillo is self-redshirting because he realizes he's not ready for the D1 level, and by redshirting this year (to see what happens) and then making his decision, he can transfer to a DII school without losing a year (I believe) and he'd still have two full years left. Maybe this is just a completely selfish decision on the part of someone who no longer wants to play/be here...?

I mean, it's a thought. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with it. It's just a thought.

the_ouskull

87sooner
11/24/2008, 11:14 PM
I'm just throwing this out there, playing *sshole's Advocate...

What if Patillo is self-redshirting because he realizes he's not ready for the D1 level, and by redshirting this year (to see what happens) and then making his decision, he can transfer to a DII school without losing a year (I believe) and he'd still have two full years left. Maybe this is just a completely selfish decision on the part of someone who no longer wants to play/be here...?

I mean, it's a thought. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with it. It's just a thought.

the_ouskull

capel recruited him to play THIS year.
i believe capel has said publicly that patillo could help the team THIS year.
you don't recruit a juco unless they can help IMMEDIATELY.

the_ouskull
11/25/2008, 08:18 AM
I don't disagree with that logic one bit.

But it's not like he'd be the first who wasn't ready...

the_ouskull

Collier11
11/25/2008, 09:30 AM
The kid from sconsin was a Top 10 recruit and he chose to redshirt a few yrs back

soonerfan28
11/26/2008, 01:13 PM
This is going to be a very good year for OU basketball and who wouldn't want to be a part of it so with that said I have to praise him for not crying about not getting playing time. He knows that if he sits a year and can learn a little more then he'll be better player next year.