PDA

View Full Version : My favorite Bourbons

lexsooner
11/19/2008, 10:00 AM
This is a long-needed thread on the South Oval. Now that the election is over, we can focus on more important things like bourbon, most of the brands distilled within an hour from my house.

These are some of my favorites, always served straight up for maximum flavor:

Four Roses Single Barrel - about 100 proof, wonderful initial flavor, surprisingly smooth for 100 proof, not at all harsh. This bourbon has won many awards and is my personal favorite (at the moment). Four Roses bourbon has made a strong comeback since Kirin bought them out from Seagrams. This Single Barrel version has a high rye content. Back in the early 20th century, Four Roses was the top selling bourbon in the U.S. The Single Barrel is great. I can't speak for their other lines, but I don't expect them to be nearly as good.

Blanton's - Buffalo Trace's top shelf bourbon, about the smoothest, sweetest bourbon I have had. The only bad thing about it is its price, $45 or more bucks for a fifth.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed - a terrific sipping bourbon at 108 proof. Pricey, but you are getting a really fine drink, guaranteed to please the palate and numb your lips.

Eagle Rare - another specialty brand by Buffalo Trace, very smooth, no harshness.

I had a shot of Pappy van Winkle's 20 yr. bourbon at a friend's house, and it was the most delicious, smoothest bourbon I have ever had. However, it is real hard to find in stores, so I don't put it on my list of favorites.

Some others:

Woodford Reserve - I give it a middling grade. Decent initial flavor, but it has a certain harshness to it which I did not like.

Maker's Mark - overhyped, overpriced, overmarketed, overrated. The ND/Charlie Weis of bourbons. Way harsh and no character to it.

Bulliet - sweet, smooth, limited character. Very reasonable price.

Basil Hayden's - Jim Beam's lightest bourbon, only 80 proof. This would be a terrific bourbon IF they let it sit a few more years. It's like drinking a fine 90 proof bourbon which has been watered down.

Knob Creek - heavily marketed line by Jim Beam. Frankly it was not particularly memorable.

Corner Creek - highly regarded, reasonably priced bourbon which I did not find very enjoyable.

Feel free to chime in and tell us your favorites. Take a shot!

olevetonahill
11/19/2008, 10:13 AM
OVJ , 110 proof . Free at the TGs
Nuff said .

SoonerInKCMO
11/19/2008, 10:30 AM
Maker's Mark - overhyped, overpriced, overmarketed, overrated. The ND/Charlie Weis of bourbons. Way harsh and no character to it.

AKA the Patron Silver of bourbons.

kbsooner21
11/19/2008, 10:45 AM
Woodford Reserve is pretty damn good. I'm also a fan of Maker's :D

I've never had any of the others on the list besides Knob Creek though

Tulsa_Fireman
11/19/2008, 11:00 AM
http://www.heaven-hill.com/images/thumb_blendedwhiskey.gif

KENTUCKY DELUXE

sooner_born_1960
11/19/2008, 11:00 AM
I've always been kinda partial to Old Charter.

Veritas
11/19/2008, 11:02 AM
I'm going to assume that we can include an American whiskey, not just bourbon. I currently have these on hand:

Stranahans Colorado Whiskey - My everyday American whiskey. Cheaper and easier to find than the others, but still a fantastic effort from a newcomer.

Elijah Craig 18 Yr Single Barrel - A bit harder to find, but I've got a guy. I trot this one out for special occasions and to introduce people to bourbons beyond Jack and Jim, along with a stern "sip, not shoot" admonishment.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/19/2008, 11:03 AM
I don't see the appeal of drinking something with flammable fumes.

lexsooner
11/19/2008, 11:06 AM
I'm going to assume that we can include an American whiskey, not just bourbon. I currently have these on hand:

Stranahans Colorado Whiskey - My everyday American whiskey. Cheaper and easier to find than the others, but still a fantastic effort from a newcomer.

Elijah Craig 18 Yr Single Barrel - A bit harder to find, but I've got a guy. I trot this one out for special occasions and to introduce people to bourbons beyond Jack and Jim, along with a stern "sip, not shoot" admonishment.

The more, the merrier, V. I have yet to try Elijah Craig, but look forward to it.

Boomer.....
11/19/2008, 11:34 AM
This should be a pole.

kbsooner21
11/19/2008, 12:10 PM
I don't see the appeal of drinking something with flammable fumes.

It puts hair on your chest :D

Taxman71
11/19/2008, 12:16 PM
If you are ever in Kentucky, spend an afternoon at the quaint Labrot & Graham Distillery where they make Woodford Reserve and sip a bottle on their back patio next to the white rock stream. Goes down like ice tea.

Plus, 3 Chimney's stallion farm is fairly close by.

Veritas
11/19/2008, 12:29 PM
The more, the merrier, V. I have yet to try Elijah Craig, but look forward to it.
It's fantastic. It can be hard to find but it's not terribly expensive once you do.

Also, if you have an opportunity to by anything by A.H. Hirsch, do it. I had a bottle of the 20 year old that I paid out the wazoo for but it was unbelievable (and I split the cost with a fellow enthusiast, so that helped). But drink it. Too many people are hoarding it just because they went silent.

lexsooner
11/19/2008, 01:13 PM
If you are ever in Kentucky, spend an afternoon at the quaint Labrot & Graham Distillery where they make Woodford Reserve and sip a bottle on their back patio next to the white rock stream. Goes down like ice tea.

Plus, 3 Chimney's stallion farm is fairly close by.

I recommend taking the tour on a work day, M-Sat., so you can see the actual making of the product. It's a gorgeous facility and surrounding area, all horse farms. They recently changed the law so that they can let you try samples of Woodford Reserve on Sundays at the end of the tour.

Taxman71
11/19/2008, 03:00 PM
I recommend taking the tour on a work day, M-Sat., so you can see the actual making of the product. It's a gorgeous facility and surrounding area, all horse farms. They recently changed the law so that they can let you try samples of Woodford Reserve on Sundays at the end of the tour.

Yeah, we were there on a Wednesday in July just after leaving 3 Chimney's....perfect day for sipping bourbon in the shade. I should have bought a used whiskey barrel and had it shipped home as a few others did.

LosAngelesSooner
11/19/2008, 05:10 PM
Nobody mentioning Michter's yet?

King Crimson
11/19/2008, 05:36 PM
i stopped drinking Maker's about a while ago. seems overpriced, as has been mentioned and not as good as it used to be when i used to drink it neat at various establishments inna day. too caramel sweet.

not really Bourbon, I buy George Dickel for the average american whisky around the house on gamedays and pony up for a single malt if i'm spending out.

King Crimson
11/19/2008, 05:38 PM
Stranahan's (mentioned by Veritas) is pretty good.

Veritas
11/19/2008, 05:59 PM
Nobody mentioning Michter's yet?
I believe that Michter's has been silent for quite a while now, probably 20 years, making it pretty damned unobtainable. I've never had any, unless you count the Hirsch I bought. Some Hirsch is made from Michter stock bought after the distillery closed down, which is why it's ridiculously expensive.

The Maestro
11/19/2008, 06:16 PM
W.L. Weller.

Good times, good times...

Harry Beanbag
11/19/2008, 06:38 PM

I have a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 yr old and I like it a lot. Smooth and silky with a mild peppery bite at the finish. Same price as Maker's and Knob Creek but much better IMO.

And I know it's not bourbon, but I always enjoy me some Jack Daniels Single Barrel as well.

LosAngelesSooner
11/19/2008, 06:51 PM
I believe that Michter's has been silent for quite a while now, probably 20 years, making it pretty damned unobtainable. I've never had any, unless you count the Hirsch I bought. Some Hirsch is made from Michter stock bought after the distillery closed down, which is why it's ridiculously expensive.
Michter's is making TONS of bourbon. And it's de-lish.

I've got Michter's in my bar along with ALL of Pappy Van Winkle's stock. But it sucks because they make me carry Rain vodka in order to have Pappy and Rain is teh succ. I had them put it in the well.

A.H. Hirsch, Special Reserve, is getting REALLY expensive now that they've discontinued it, but if you CAN get a bottle, it's worth it.

And for a good, all purpose Rye, try Sazerac Rye Whiskey.

LosAngelesSooner
11/19/2008, 06:53 PM
COULDN'T

DISAGREE

MORE.

olevetonahill
11/19/2008, 07:03 PM
OVJ , the smoovest Sour Mash around :D
WTF is wrong with you peeps ?:eek:

LosAngelesSooner
11/19/2008, 07:19 PM
You know, if you guys want a really good "Bang for your Buck" type of inexpensive bourbon, you should try Jim Beam Black.

Also, I don't think there's enough love on here for Booker's 126.6 proof. Simply wonderful.

And the Pappy 20 year is sublime.

Rogue
11/19/2008, 07:28 PM
3rd on the Maker's Mark overratedness. Mind you, I'll drink it and enjoy it...just not my favorite.

I like the Wild Turkey.

And, for Tennessee Whiskey, Old #7.

lexsooner
11/19/2008, 07:31 PM

Lex truly went to Liquor Barn after work and bought a fifth of Elijah Craig 18 Year Single Barrel bourbon for around $45. Smooth, superb, silky. Thanks, V. Another spek for you!

LosAngelesSooner
11/19/2008, 07:31 PM
I have a Maker's Mark wall in my bar. (They paid for it, of course).

I could drink Maker's Mark all night. I have, in fact. I think it's a lovely "every day" bourbon. Now, I personally think that Basil Hayden's is overrated and over priced, but that's just me.

Lott's Bandana
11/19/2008, 07:33 PM
What is bourbon?

Oh, you mean that stuff that sat in the casks that eventually get shipped to Scotland so they can age my single malt?

:D

LosAngelesSooner
11/19/2008, 07:37 PM
Certainly. Doing that is the only way to make the ****e drinkable.

Do you think we'd ruin perfectly good bourbon with your stinky barrels? ;)

lexsooner
11/19/2008, 07:37 PM
I have a Maker's Mark wall in my bar. (They paid for it, of course).

I could drink Maker's Mark all night. I have, in fact. I think it's a lovely "every day" bourbon. Now, I personally think that Basil Hayden's is overrated and over priced, but that's just me.

I disagree about Maker's, but agree about Basil. Maker's puts so much into their marketing, but I wish they would do more with their product. At the Keeneland horse races, they have a promo day and give away lots of Maker's stuff for free - hats, shirts, etc. You then look at the price on the shelf and realize where their money goes.

Basil would be so much better if they would age it longer. It has a nice flavor, but is weak. Ever notice the higher proof bourbons seem to have richer, more complex flavors?

LosAngelesSooner
11/19/2008, 07:43 PM
Totally. That's why I typically drink higher proof bourbons. And I feel that Bulleit and Basil are way to light and citrusy (is that a word?) for me.

Maker's is nice. It's an old standby for me. And I guess I just don't notice the price since I usually get it for free. But out here a liter bottle is $24. That's pretty cheap, IMHO. JD is $19.

8timechamps
11/19/2008, 07:47 PM
1792 Ridgemont Reserve (made by Barton), It's a young bourbon (8 or 9 years I think), but it's well worth picking up a bottle.

I currently have a bottle of Knob Creek.

If we're talking Scotch, there are none better than Macallan 18. I have a bottle of Macallan 12 (cause I'm cheap). I had a chance to taste a Macallan 25 once (and no, I didn't buy it). To be honest, I noticed very little difference from the 18. Not enough to justify the cost. Maybe I'm too redneck.

LosAngelesSooner
11/19/2008, 07:53 PM
Try the Macallan 21 year Fine Oak.

SUBLIME.

The Cask Strength Macallan is pretty derned yummy, too.

8timechamps
11/19/2008, 08:10 PM
Try the Macallan 21 year Fine Oak.

SUBLIME.

The Cask Strength Macallan is pretty derned yummy, too.

I've heard that from several people. I can't find the Cask Strength.

Lott's Bandana
11/19/2008, 08:18 PM
Certainly. Doing that is the only way to make the ****e drinkable.

Do you think we'd ruin perfectly good bourbon with your stinky barrels? ;)

I like the fact that they BURN them first.

lexsooner
11/19/2008, 08:18 PM
1792 Ridgemont Reserve (made by Barton), It's a young bourbon (8 or 9 years I think), but it's well worth picking up a bottle.

I currently have a bottle of Knob Creek.

If we're talking Scotch, there are none better than Macallan 18. I have a bottle of Macallan 12 (cause I'm cheap). I had a chance to taste a Macallan 25 once (and no, I didn't buy it). To be honest, I noticed very little difference from the 18. Not enough to justify the cost. Maybe I'm too redneck.

Never had it, but I've been tempted to pick it up. I have read good reviews, and the bottle is really attractive. It's pricey, but if it is good, well who cares?

lexsooner
11/19/2008, 08:21 PM
Totally. That's why I typically drink higher proof bourbons. And I feel that Bulleit and Basil are way to light and citrusy (is that a word?) for me.

Maker's is nice. It's an old standby for me. And I guess I just don't notice the price since I usually get it for free. But out here a liter bottle is $24. That's pretty cheap, IMHO. JD is $19.

I think you would like 100 proof Four Roses Single Barrel. It ain't cheap, but you can't beat it for richness and delicious flavor. I think its initial flavor is about as pleasing as any bourbon I have ever had. Or try 108 proof Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Either way you cannot go wrong.

8timechamps
11/19/2008, 08:26 PM
I think you would like 100 proof Four Roses Single Barrel. It ain't cheap, but you can't beat it for richness and delicious flavor. I think its initial flavor is about as pleasing as any bourbon I have ever had. Or try 108 proof Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Either way you cannot go wrong.

I'm gonna give the Four Roses a try tomorrow. Thanks for the review.

lexsooner
11/19/2008, 08:36 PM
I'm gonna give the Four Roses a try tomorrow. Thanks for the review.

Remember 8, if you buy a fifth, get the single barrel, in the more square shaped bottle. It is more expensive than their regular line, around a $35 retail price, but dang is it goooooood! It won lots of awards when it first came out. Let us know what you think.

Rogue
11/19/2008, 08:39 PM
Bourbon = certain approved places in Kentucky.
All other whisky = from someplace else.

olevetonahill
11/19/2008, 08:45 PM

Yall are Hurting My feelers :mad:

Turd_Ferguson
11/19/2008, 08:53 PM
OVJ is my favorite....:D

Rogue
11/19/2008, 08:56 PM
Yall are Hurting My feelers :mad:

Quite unintentional amigo mio.
And, it turns out, incorrect. I must been a little schnockered on my last trip on the Bourbon trail and mis-remembered that detail. Fact is, 99% of all bourbon is from KY. The distillery in Lynchburg makes some of my favorite whiskey and you are without a doubt my all time favorite distiller of fine American spirits. I hope your spirits are as good as my expectations for the tailgate I plan to come to eventually.

Rogue
11/19/2008, 08:59 PM
Lex, and any-a-y'all that get a chance...the Maker's Mark tour is worth it. It's amazing how low-tech the process really is. The highlights, for me, were dipping my fingers into the open vats of fermenting brew (tasted like pickled corn), tasting the fresh clear non-barrell aged clear stuff (they call it "white dog" there), and comparing it to the aged stuff. Of course, we got to dip our own bottles in the wax and that was cool. All in all, if you're near L'ville and have 1/2 a day to spare it's a pretty drive and a very decent tour.

8timechamps
11/19/2008, 09:03 PM
Lex - I'll let you know what I think.

Also, we need our resident Bourbonologist to chime in. Penguin...you out there?

lexsooner
11/19/2008, 09:09 PM

You know, Rogue, on the Woodford Reserve tour, they told us in order to be a bourbon, it has to be distilled in the United States, be comprised of at least 51% corn mash, be aged for at least four years, and a few other criteria. I also learned that massive bottle of bourbon Woodford sells, the one several times bigger than a fifth, is the largest container permitted for bourbon under the law.

I had always thought bourbon had to be distilled in Kentucky, or maybe Tennessee, but nowhere else. I guess the tour guide knew what he was talking about. I am still amazed that a seemingly small distillery can sell their product world wide. I mean, their storage building which held the aged barrels really did not seem like it had enough to stock shelves around the world. But they do it.

lexsooner
11/19/2008, 09:11 PM
Lex, and any-a-y'all that get a chance...the Maker's Mark tour is worth it. It's amazing how low-tech the process really is. The highlights, for me, were dipping my fingers into the open vats of fermenting brew (tasted like pickled corn), tasting the fresh clear non-barrell aged clear stuff (they call it "white dog" there), and comparing it to the aged stuff. Of course, we got to dip our own bottles in the wax and that was cool. All in all, if you're near L'ville and have 1/2 a day to spare it's a pretty drive and a very decent tour.

I wanna do it, along with Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, and anywhere else where they give out samples. :) It's really a neat "taste of the Bluegrass" when you have out of town visitors. Bourbon distillers and horse farms/races.

olevetonahill
11/19/2008, 09:18 PM
You know, Rogue, on the Woodford Reserve tour, they told us in order to be a bourbon, it has to be distilled in the United States, be comprised of at least 51% corn mash, be aged for at least four years, and a few other criteria. I also learned that massive bottle of bourbon Woodford sells, the one several times bigger than a fifth, is the largest container permitted for bourbon under the law.

I had always thought bourbon had to be distilled in Kentucky, or maybe Tennessee, but nowhere else. I guess the tour guide knew what he was talking about. I am still amazed that a seemingly small distillery can sell their product world wide. I mean, their storage building which held the aged barrels really did not seem like it had enough to stock shelves around the world. But they do it.

Well the OVJ gets aged In Charcoled Oak , But **** that 4 Yrs shat .

Rogue
11/19/2008, 09:23 PM
OV, I've said it before and I'll say it again...good shine is best when it's fresh.

olevetonahill
11/19/2008, 09:28 PM
OV, I've said it before and I'll say it again...good shine is best when it's fresh.

Ask them Fellers at the TGs ;)
It comes Off at 110 Proof , I can Kick it on up if they want :D

Harry Beanbag
11/19/2008, 09:33 PM
I wanna do it, along with Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, and anywhere else where they give out samples. :) It's really a neat "taste of the Bluegrass" when you have out of town visitors. Bourbon distillers and horse farms/races.

I'll be there the first weekend after football season. Keep your spare room open for me. :)

Harry Beanbag
11/19/2008, 09:34 PM
You know, if you guys want a really good "Bang for your Buck" type of inexpensive bourbon, you should try Jim Beam Black.

Yep. I always have a bottle of that in the bar.

Veritas
11/19/2008, 09:36 PM
Michter's is making TONS of bourbon. And it's de-lish.
Well I'll be damned. Same company? I thought they went tets up 20 years ago. Maybe they don't sell here or something.

Vis a vis scotch, if it ain't Islay it's crap. :) Oh, and JW Blue Label is the Patron of blends.

Veritas
11/19/2008, 09:43 PM
And for a good, all purpose Rye, try Sazerac Rye Whiskey.
I skimmed over this earlier...I like this one too. I tried it after reading about the mixed drink called a sazerac in WEB Griffin novels.

LosAngelesSooner
11/20/2008, 01:18 AM
Try the Michter's Single Barrel Rye. I have a bottle on the shelf. It's FAN-TASTIC.

If you DO make a Sazerac, make sure you use a GOOD absinthe (which are now legally available in the U.S. again). I prefer yellow, but the green works as well. Rinse the glass and dump. And only use Peychaud's bitters.

If you CAN'T get ahold of a bottle out there, let me know and we can work something out so I can get you one or two. :)

olevetonahill
11/20/2008, 01:21 AM
Try the Michter's Single Barrel Rye. I have a bottle on the shelf. It's FAN-TASTIC.

If you DO make a Sazerac, make sure you use a GOOD absinthe (which are now legally available in the U.S. again). I prefer yellow, but the green works as well. Rinse the glass and dump. And only use Peychaud's bitters.

If you CAN'T get ahold of a bottle out there, let me know and we can work something out so I can get you one or two. :)

Wanta Trade fer some Premium OVJ ?
:cool:

LosAngelesSooner
11/20/2008, 04:09 AM
I could make that happen.

How good is the Ole Vet Juice. Really...

Lott's Bandana
11/20/2008, 08:31 AM
I could make that happen.

How good is the Ole Vet Juice. Really...

Surprisingly good.

It has an unexpected smoothness, with some slight East Oklahoma silage in the nose and an even burn to the gullet. I think you could serve it with one rock or no more than two, and there are folks who would order it at a bar.

Goes rilly, rilly good with chili. :D

Veritas
11/20/2008, 09:37 AM

I have the first bottle of Lucid that was purchased here in Lincoln. :)

But it's still mostly full. I've got the spoon and the special glass and I'd have to say that the whole absinthe thing is mostly hype. There's all this talk about herbal flavors and such, dripping the water through the sugar cube, the louche...underwhelming. Of course, I drink Islay scotches, where the flavors jump out of the glass and kick you in the jimmy, so...

If you've got thoughts on how good Lucid is and/or recs on other good brands, I'm all ears.

LosAngelesSooner
11/20/2008, 01:34 PM
La Tourment Vert (The Green Torment), Obsello (classic Absinthe. Made in Spain from herbs and wine alcohol) and Kubler (try to order the original version from the website below instead of the modified American version that is on sale in the US) are ALL much, much better than Lucid. I really can't stand Lucid. I kinda feel (keeping up the theme on here) that it's the Patron of Absinthe's. Alllllll marketing.

HOWEVER. If you are REALLY feeling daring and don't mind a) spending a little dough and b) waiting for your liquor to get to you in the mail...I recommend going HERE: http://www.alandia.de/ for all your Absinthe needs and questions. I've ordered multiple bottles from this company and they are FANTASTIC.

Try the Absinthe Absinthe Amer. It's a classic Absinthe with triple the amount of Wormwood. Yowzers. Don't cut your ear off.

The Maestro
11/20/2008, 01:38 PM
If you drink something and call it SUBLIME shouldn't a pinkie be pointed out and it start with an "A" and end with a "ppletini"? ;) :D

C&CDean
11/20/2008, 01:41 PM
I like good bourbon. However, if you drink it any way besides straight from the bottle into a room temperature glass then you're ****ing it all up. All good whiskey is designed to be enjoyed neat. Ice, water, and especially sugary soft drinks ruin it.

LosAngelesSooner
11/20/2008, 01:49 PM
I'm with Dean on this one. Drinking Bourbon neat = SUBLIME.

:D

Lott's Bandana
11/20/2008, 01:59 PM
I like good bourbon. However, if you drink it any way besides straight from the bottle into a room temperature glass then you're ****ing it all up. All good whiskey is designed to be enjoyed neat. Ice, water, and especially sugary soft drinks ruin it.

Yo Dean,

Then why do the Skittish Whisky websites recommend a splash of branch water?

Srsly.
:confused:

I do like a single cube o' frozen branch water to cool it and slowly dilute the single malt majesty...a matter of taste and prolongation, frankly. When I drink Jameson a few more cubes are fine.

Sorry about the Scotch Thread Hijack...I was just curious about Dean's continued "neat" mantra. I intend to check out some of the recommended brands o' Bourb in this thread.

lexsooner
11/20/2008, 02:06 PM

This is probably a first in my seven or eight years on this board, but I actually agree with Dean on something. Straight up is the only way, IMHO, to capture the true flavor and character of a good bourbon. Even one ice cube ruins it, let alone soda or water.

Lott's Bandana
11/20/2008, 02:09 PM
Clarification/amplification:

My question to Deano about branch water was centered on Scotch.

I don't know scoot about Bourbon. I'm learning tho.

C&CDean
11/20/2008, 02:10 PM
Yo Dean,

Then why do the Skittish Whisky websites recommend a splash of branch water?

Srsly.
:confused:

I do like a single cube o' frozen branch water to cool it and slowly dilute the single malt majesty...a matter of taste and prolongation, frankly. When I drink Jameson a few more cubes are fine.

Sorry about the Scotch Thread Hijack...I was just curious about Dean's continued "neat" mantra. I intend to check out some of the recommended brands o' Bourb in this thread.

When I drink whiskey with a rock, it tastes like a whiskey burp, not whiskey. Again, it ain't designed to be watered down with anything. Even a single rock makes it taste "watery." And since you mentioned scotch, there's really not a good way to drink that ****. How can the Irish get it so right, and the golf-inventing folks right next door **** it up so bad? Beer? Irish and English are fine. Whiskey? Nay.

Lott's Bandana
11/20/2008, 02:27 PM
When I drink whiskey with a rock, it tastes like a whiskey burp, not whiskey. Again, it ain't designed to be watered down with anything. Even a single rock makes it taste "watery." And since you mentioned scotch, there's really not a good way to drink that ****. How can the Irish get it so right, and the golf-inventing folks right next door **** it up so bad? Beer? Irish and English are fine. Whiskey? Nay.

See, I like Jameson as an everyday drink.
Single-malt with a cigar or a leggy, willing woman, or both.
Maybe the Skits messed things up in your estimation, but that smoky whisky is teh win to this ScotsIrish/German.

I had a snort of OVJ last night while chatting with Vet on teh fone. Again, I'm getting motivated by this thread to try some Whiskey's with an "e".
:pop:

C&CDean
11/20/2008, 02:31 PM
This is probably a first in my seven or eight years on this board, but I actually agree with Dean on something. Straight up is the only way, IMHO, to capture the true flavor and character of a good bourbon. Even one ice cube ruins it, let alone soda or water.

So, what you're saying is this is the only thing you're right about. got it.

LosAngelesSooner
11/21/2008, 02:42 PM
So, how do you Jameson drinkers feel about Middleton's?

C&CDean
11/21/2008, 03:09 PM
So, how do you Jameson drinkers feel about Middleton's?

Love it. But it's too rich for my blood - especially at the bar. At a couple Irish pubs I frequent in Alexandria and Baltimore a shot of Middleton's is about $25 or so. I just don't see the point. And FWIW, my favorite Irish is Tullamore Dew. It's smoother than Jameson, but you can't find it at a lot of liquor store in OK - at least not in the fantasize bottles.

Taxman71
11/21/2008, 03:11 PM
Dean would love the fact that "bourbon" barrels can only be used once by law and discarded......most of them go overseas to the scotch distilleries.

Also, I attended a bourbon tasting seminar type thing with the head guy from Labroh & Graham in Kentucky, he said the traditional way to drink bourbon is two large cubes. I agree with Dean, if it is the cheap stuff, ice, water or soda is fine, but top shelf bourbon (or any other liquor) don't need any diluting.

C&CDean
11/21/2008, 03:26 PM
Dean would love the fact that "bourbon" barrels can only be used once by law and discarded......most of them go overseas to the scotch distilleries.

Also, I attended a bourbon tasting seminar type thing with the head guy from Labroh & Graham in Kentucky, he said the traditional way to drink bourbon is two large cubes. I agree with Dean, if it is the cheap stuff, ice, water or soda is fine, but top shelf bourbon (or any other liquor) don't need any diluting.

I know a guy who gets some of those used barrells. He adds water to them, let's them sit a while, and then he drinks the dregs. He calls it "poor man's whisky." Personally, I ain't trying it.

Veritas
11/21/2008, 03:31 PM
Yup, I'm with Dean. Drink it neat or don't drink it all.

The way Jim Murray puts it, whisky isn't whisky unless it's at least 40 proof. If you dilute it with water, you're dropping the proof below 40, ergo you're no longer drinking whisky.

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 03:35 PM

The way Jim Murray puts it, whisky isn't whisky unless it's at least 40 proof. If you dilute it with water, you're dropping the proof below 40, ergo you're no longer drinking whisky.

40 Proof :eek: who In hell makes that weak of shat ?
Oh and Did you unnerstand My Peem ?:D

Taxman71
11/21/2008, 03:47 PM
I know a guy who gets some of those used barrells. He adds water to them, let's them sit a while, and then he drinks the dregs. He calls it "poor man's whisky." Personally, I ain't trying it.

I knew a guy who did that with a Jack Daniels barrel. Let it sit out during the hot summer to soak up more of the whiskey. It was okay...basically just really weak, watered down tasting Jack.

LosAngelesSooner
11/21/2008, 04:43 PM
Love it. But it's too rich for my blood - especially at the bar. At a couple Irish pubs I frequent in Alexandria and Baltimore a shot of Middleton's is about $25 or so. I just don't see the point. And FWIW, my favorite Irish is Tullamore Dew. It's smoother than Jameson, but you can't find it at a lot of liquor store in OK - at least not in the fantasize bottles.My friend (and I say that despite all the mean and nasty names you've called me through the years ;)) I give you JOHN POWER AND SON IRISH WHISKEY, A.K.A. - POWER'S

http://www.weimax.com/images/John_power.gif

Also called "Old Gold," it is the #1 selling Irish Whiskey in Ireland. 80% of Jameson's sales occur OUTSIDE of Ireland (much like 85% of Hennessey's sales occur outside of France). In Ireland the locals drink Power's. It's a blend, but the majority of it is from a single pot still and it's really quite good.

Try it neat or, as the weather gets colder, make an Irish Hot Toddy or an Irish Coffee (making sure to use BROWN SUGAR) with it and sit outside. :)

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 04:46 PM
I thot those Irish Drunks Like the Bushmills ?

LosAngelesSooner
11/21/2008, 04:48 PM

The way Jim Murray puts it, whisky isn't whisky unless it's at least 40 proof. If you dilute it with water, you're dropping the proof below 40, ergo you're no longer drinking whisky.You meant to say 40% alcohol which = 80 proof, right? :O

LosAngelesSooner
11/21/2008, 04:50 PM
I thot those Irish Drunks Like the Bushmills ?Well, they're IRISH. They'll drink anything.

But the top seller and preferred whiskey in Ireland is Power's.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys...

C&CDean
11/21/2008, 05:04 PM
Well, they're IRISH. They'll drink anything.

But the top seller and preferred whiskey in Ireland is Power's.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys...

1. I never called you names you faggoty *******.

2. All the Irish guys I know claim it depends on what part of Ireland you're from. Yes, Jameson is sold a lot more over here, but some of the guys from Cork I know claim Tullamore Dew is a lot more popular than Power's. They said it just depends on the area/pub you drink at.

3. Have a nice weekend. I'm fixin' to go get the ****houses for the tailgate tomorrow. When I'm sipping some Dew here in an hour or two I'm gonna think about my buttmunch friend.:P

Taxman71
11/21/2008, 05:18 PM
This thread calls for some drinking music:

Gh1J4rTgVgE

Lott's Bandana
11/21/2008, 06:10 PM
I thot those Irish Drunks Like the Bushmills ?

The Orange (Prods) drink one, the Catholics teh other...I can never remember which is B'mills and which drink Jameson.

Harry Beanbag
11/21/2008, 06:47 PM
The Orange (Prods) drink one, the Catholics teh other...I can never remember which is B'mills and which drink Jameson.

I've heard that as well. I can't remember which way it goes either.

StoopTroup
11/21/2008, 06:56 PM
I just poured some Wiser on some rock.

It's on now.

A little pre-tailgate warm up for ST. :D

Harry Beanbag
11/21/2008, 06:58 PM
A buddy and I are gonna split a bottle of Jack Single Barrel around the fire pit later on. Can't wait.

LosAngelesSooner
11/21/2008, 07:04 PM
1. I never called you names you faggoty *******.

2. All the Irish guys I know claim it depends on what part of Ireland you're from. Yes, Jameson is sold a lot more over here, but some of the guys from Cork I know claim Tullamore Dew is a lot more popular than Power's. They said it just depends on the area/pub you drink at.

3. Have a nice weekend. I'm fixin' to go get the ****houses for the tailgate tomorrow. When I'm sipping some Dew here in an hour or two I'm gonna think about my buttmunch friend.:Phttp://home.megapass.co.kr/%7Eboscot/yarr2.jpg

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 07:09 PM
http://home.megapass.co.kr/%7Eboscot/yarr2.jpg

But I will . you Lib Bastage you !:P

instigator
11/21/2008, 08:41 PM
Very interesting thread for a noob to bourbon. I have been growing increasingly tired of beer and I recently went to Louisville with a bourbon guy. He drug me to the Turkey tour (it was the only one open on Monday :( ). Even so it was really cool even though they never let us taste any. I kind of got the bug and came home and have gone through a few bottles of Woodfords Reserve. Just went to the store and bought some Eagle Rare since they didn't have Four Roses and Blantons was $60!! This si some really good stuff. Thanks for all the recommendations. I plan on trying all of them I can.

Oh yeah, So OleVet makes whiskey??? You bring it to the tailgate?

Veritas
11/21/2008, 09:18 PM
You meant to say 40% alcohol which = 80 proof, right? :O
Lol, yeah I did. I'm a doofus.

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 10:57 PM
Oh yeah, So OleVet makes whiskey??? You bring it to the tailgate?

No I produce OVJ . Free samples are availiblea he TGs;)

olevetonahill
11/21/2008, 11:00 PM
Lol, yeah I did. I'm a doofus.

So if the OVJ comes Off at less than 110 Proof. It gets chunked .
;)

Harry Beanbag
11/22/2008, 05:13 AM
I'm a doofus.

No ****. ;)

Rogue
11/22/2008, 08:54 AM
Catholics drink Jameson.
I like it.

Okla-homey
11/22/2008, 09:13 AM
favorite Bourbon?

I've always admired Louis XIV.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/558/louisxivkj1.jpg

Harry Beanbag
11/24/2008, 07:48 PM
I had some of this over at the Maestro compound Saturday night. I was a cretin and put Coke in it, but I made it extra strong, does that make up for it?

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/tips/dictionary/images/8679.jpg

LosAngelesSooner
11/24/2008, 07:59 PM
NO.

Cretin.

OhU1
11/24/2008, 08:20 PM
It's really a neat "taste of the Bluegrass" when you have out of town visitors. Bourbon distillers and horse farms/races.
Oh really? 1. I visited. 2. was from out of town - did not get bourbon! :mad:

Harry Beanbag
11/25/2008, 07:53 AM
NO.

Cretin.

What if I told you all I had access to was styrofoam cups? :)

LosAngelesSooner
11/27/2008, 02:15 AM
What if I told you all I had access to was styrofoam cups? :)
Somehow...that makes it okay. :P

lexsooner
11/28/2008, 10:54 AM
Oh really? 1. I visited. 2. was from out of town - did not get bourbon! :mad:

I was not into the stuff the last time you visited, which was years ago. If you come next year, I promise you a whole cabinet of top shelf bourbon, and as many distillery tours as you can tolerate.