PDA

View Full Version : Non-Conference Games

JLEW1818
11/19/2008, 01:50 AM
I know everybody is tired of the "ifs" and "buts"

But 1 more question that has not been talked about much.

If the 3 way tie happens.

How big of a factor will it be that we played 2 ranked teams during our non-conference part of the schedule? (both are now ranked)

BCS Wise

TCU is ranked # 16
Cincinnati is ranked #19

I think voters might look at this, if there is a tie.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2008, 02:00 AM
Smart voters will look at it and reasonably consider it, but the majority will be retards and think it's no big deal or not even remember we played them. The computers on the other hand will love us for it and hopefully push us over Texass assuming we win out.

Aside from that, yeah we've been iffed in the buts around here for a few weeks now and we need to get on to the real action Saturday.

IronHorseSooner
11/19/2008, 10:07 AM
As Crucifax said, this has been hashed out here ever since this scenario had a realistic chance after the Tech win over UT. I am blessed to work with a great cross-section of knowledgable college fans here (SEC, Big 10, Big East, PAC 10, and other Big XII). To a one, they say that non-con is the ONLY way to decide this. How else could you? Conference performance is virtually identical, and the teams are very similar. In that case, we win, hands down. the best win by either Tech or UT is Rice. Tech played not one, but two FCS teams (UMASS and Eastern Washington). In other seasons, we have seen non-con used by the voters (see '04 Auburn) to eliminate similar teams. We can only hope they do this time.

sooner n houston
11/19/2008, 12:13 PM
Texas does have a win over Missouri that we do not. Helps their SOS, unfortunantly.

JLEW1818
11/19/2008, 12:22 PM
None of the 3 teams have a true road win against the others (assuming we beat tech). Texas and Tech got Oklahoma State at home. If we win on the road at Oklahoma State, that's just another plus right there.

Texas biggest weakness is they don't play this week and play a horrible aggie team at home, on Thanksgiving (who knows).

And people are saying if we get in and play Missouri, Texas would have beat both of us. Whats really funny is, that's just a normal BCS type controversy, and I do see us getting in.

JLEW1818
11/19/2008, 12:30 PM
Texas does have a win over Missouri that we do not. Helps their SOS, unfortunantly.

I agree, but its that Same Missouri team that BEAT BAYLOR BY 3 POINTS... AHHHHH

fadada1
11/19/2008, 12:41 PM
baylor's a team on the rise!!!

or is that a&m? or is that osu?

i can never keep it all straight.

JLEW1818
11/19/2008, 12:48 PM
I want to beat tech so bad, but I also want us to prove to America that Tech is just a "Team" not a "Program"

TexasLidig8r
11/19/2008, 03:32 PM
Jlew.. as much as you want to only look at the "good" on OU's schedule, you have to look at the totality of games played.. that is... your games against winless Washington and 1 win Chattanooga (bad enough to play a D2 team but a bad one at that).

Look at the complete out of conference picture...

UT opponent:.......... Current Record.............. Likely Final Record

FAU..........................5-5...............................6-6
UTEP....................... 5-5...............................6-6
Ark...........................4-6...............................5-7
Rice.........................7-3................................9-3

Total........................21-19........................~26-22~

OU opponent:.............Current Record...............Likely Final Record

Chatt.........................1-10..............................1-11
Wash.........................0-10..............................0-12
Cinn...........................8-2................................10-3
TCU...........................9-2..................................9-3

Total.........................18-24...........................~21-29~

Your Washington an Chattanooga opponents are CRUSHING your SOS... and right now, Texas has the highest rated SOS in the nation.

Then, if you want to look at Big XII north opponents (and you can discard Kansas since both UT and OU played them).

KSU.....4-7
NU.......7-4
..........11-11

MU.....9-2
CU.....5-6
........14-8

If you want to figure Kansas into the mix.. you beat them by 14, when they scored 31 on you, at your home on a clear, warm day... Texas throttled them by 28 AT KU on a cold, very windy day.

Whoever it was who pulled out of playing you and you were stuck with Chattanooga... may come back to bite you badly.

JLEW1818
11/19/2008, 03:38 PM
2 ranked teams vs zero ranked teams..... out of conference

Did you watch the Kansas game? They scored a meaningless TD with like 58 seconds to go. With mostly are backups in. The score very easily should have 45-24... I know it does not matter and the voters won't see that, but as long as you know, haha.

TexasLidig8r
11/19/2008, 04:17 PM
2 ranked teams vs zero ranked teams..... out of conference

Did you watch the Kansas game? They scored a meaningless TD with like 58 seconds to go. With mostly are backups in. The score very easily should have 45-24... I know it does not matter and the voters won't see that, but as long as you know, haha.

No, I saw.

Ironically.. our backups stopped Kansas from scoring a meaningless TD with like 58 seconds to go. As long as you know that.

Again... your unranked teams were.. really.. really.. really bad which just kills your SOS.

JLEW1818
11/19/2008, 04:27 PM
I'm just saying if there is a 3 way tie, they might look at who the teams played in non conference. And see that Oklahoma beat 2 non conference ranked teams. That's most the reason usc is where they are, they played/beat tosu.

But in the end, chances to beat number 2 and number 12 the last two weeks of the season should be helpful, if we win.

TexasLidig8r
11/19/2008, 04:46 PM
I'm just saying if there is a 3 way tie, they might look at who the teams played in non conference. And see that Oklahoma beat 2 non conference ranked teams. That's most the reason usc is where they are, they played/beat tosu.

True dat. Thing is, by the end of the year, Cincy may not be ranked. If they lose to Pitt this week, they probably drop out of the top 25. Tcu has a tough game left against Air Force, and if they lose, they very well could drop out as well.

But in the end, chances to beat number 2 and number 12 the last two weeks of the season should be helpful, if we win.

There's no doubt if OU wins its last 2 games, it will be incredibly helpful. Whether it's enough to move the computers and/or coaches and/or Harris polls enough is subject to debate. It's gonna be incredibly close. Maybe we should just settle who the better team is between Texas and OU on the field.. oh wait... :D