PDA

View Full Version : Preseason NIT?

sooner59
11/19/2008, 12:22 AM
What do you think our chances are of winning this tournament? We just beat possibly the most dangerous team in the bracket. Purdue is good, but who else do you think we might lose to? How nice would it be to win the tournament? I know it doesn't mean much, but it does boost confidence. And I think with all of our talent this year, confidence would really help.

OUSKINS
11/19/2008, 08:40 AM
We play UAB on Wed. night-- they beat Arizona by 1 last night. UAB is dangerous-- a guard-oriented team that will run all day. We should be able to hang on though.

If we do, we'll most likely be playing a Purdue team ranked in the top 10. That will be a very nice early test. It would be great to get two good (Davidson, Purdue) and one solid (UAB) win under our belts so early.

IronHorseSooner
11/19/2008, 09:54 AM
I hope we do better this time than we did last time we played a Mike Daivs coached team in a tourney. The kid to watch on UAB is Vaden. This gaem can be tabbed the "Kelvin Sampson Fall Out Game." Vaden left Indy when Sampson got there, and Mayfield left us when Sampson left here...On another note, I don't think the NCAA/NIT did a good job seeding for this tourney. Davidson should have had their own site (like us, 'Zona, and Purdue). They are far better than BC and should have been a higher seed...We should be fine against UAB. Given what I said, I was impressed with BC's perimeter play, and they should give Purdue all they want.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/19/2008, 12:17 PM
UAB and Purdue will both be good tests but I think we will win the tourney?

soonervegas
11/19/2008, 03:45 PM
I really want to see OU vs. Purdue. Purdue is one of those teams we did not match up with well during the Sampson era. I think if this team can beat a Purdue team on a neutral court....we are a clear Elite Eight level team right now.

Frozen Sooner
11/19/2008, 04:50 PM
We play UAB on Wed. night-- they beat Arizona by 1 last night. UAB is dangerous-- a guard-oriented team that will run all day. We should be able to hang on though.

If we do, we'll most likely be playing a Purdue team ranked in the top 10. That will be a very nice early test. It would be great to get two good (Davidson, Purdue) and one solid (UAB) win under our belts so early.

Man, the end of that Arizona-UAB game was crazy.

For those of you who didn't see:

Arizona was down three in the waning seconds. Got fouled. Went to the line, got one, missed the second (but not intentionally, the plan was to trap after the made basket.)

Arizona gets the rebound, scores. Tie game.

Someone forgets to call off the trap and an Arizona player intentionally fouls a UAB player with .3 seconds left. UAB misses the first, gets the second, then almost throws the ball away on the inbounds.

Just a really odd sequence of basketball.

8timechamps
11/19/2008, 08:30 PM
Winning the NIT could be the difference in a 2 or 3 seed in the big dance.

badger
11/19/2008, 08:42 PM
Three questions about said UAB game...

1- When
2- Where
3- Who to watch for them?

8timechamps
11/19/2008, 08:58 PM
Three questions about said UAB game...

1- When
2- Where
3- Who to watch for them?

1 - Next Wednesday, 26th (8:00 central)
2 - MSG - NYC
3 - Pick your poison: Delaney (G) Quick, very athletic guard, not a great 3-point shooter, solid outside range though. -or- Vaden (G/F) Athletic, also doesn't strike fear into opponents with his 3 point ability, but can hit it. Not as lethal as Delany, but rebounds better. -or- Kinnard (F), can shoot the three and leads the team in rebounds...I suspect we'll see him matched up with Griffin.

King Crimson
11/19/2008, 09:38 PM
i'll go ahead and say it: we kinda *owe* Mike Davis as far as I'm concerned.

Sooner04
11/19/2008, 09:54 PM
I was in Atlanta that night.

I have yet to recover.

soonervegas
11/20/2008, 06:18 PM
I was too. I was sick too my stomach the rest of the night. I was looking through pics a few weesk back and I took a pic of the scoreboard at halftime. We were up 36-30. Damn Coverdale.

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2008, 06:20 PM
Does Watson Brown still coach their football team?

There was a semi-major scandal involving the football team and an underage girl several years back, but I think he escaped unscathed.

King Crimson
11/20/2008, 06:29 PM
i was beating my head on the wall after Selvy misses that front end.

i don't know if we beat Maryland again as well as Baxter, Wilcox, Francis and Blake were playing...but i sure would have liked to have the shot.

still mad about 88.

KC

badger
11/20/2008, 06:33 PM
I was in San Ant'wan, watchin' the wimmens beat up the lady dookies. :)

I wish we coulda been the first university to take them both... but unfortunately, puke-on u-conn :mad:

soonervegas
11/20/2008, 06:38 PM
King...wouldn't that front end have put us up by a point? That's my recollection at least....

Jeopardude
11/20/2008, 06:45 PM
I really want to see OU vs. Purdue. Purdue is one of those teams we did not match up with well during the Sampson era. I think if this team can beat a Purdue team on a neutral court....we are a clear Elite Eight level team right now.

:confused:

I remember OU beating Purdue at a ridiculous level one year.

okienole3
11/20/2008, 06:58 PM
Last 4 games against Purdue. 1 Capel, 3 Sampson

2007 Lahaina, HI L 71-74

2005 West Lafayette W 66-48

2004 Norman W 47-45 (UGLY)

2000 Tuscon L 62-66

Jeopardude
11/20/2008, 08:54 PM
I was thinking of 1996. OU 82 Purdue 58.

okienole3
11/20/2008, 09:08 PM

You're old. ;)

Frozen Sooner
11/20/2008, 10:22 PM
You're old. ;)

I was listening to that game on the radio as I left Norman the day after taking my last final.

(sniff)

King Crimson
11/20/2008, 10:55 PM

i was at that game. if i recall, that was the debut of Lou Moore.

Frozen Sooner
11/21/2008, 12:22 AM
It was.

Salt City Sooner
11/21/2008, 01:20 AM
I was too. I was sick too my stomach the rest of the night. I was looking through pics a few weesk back and I took a pic of the scoreboard at halftime. We were up 36-30. Damn Coverdale.
Coverdale didn't hurt us at all, other than pulling an Elgin Baylor & doing the inspiring teammates just by playing thing. The guy who killed us was a reserve forward by the name of Jeff Newton, who came off the bench to hang 19 on us. Price & White combining to 1-16 didn't exactly help matters either.

OU_Sooners75
11/21/2008, 05:13 AM
On paper it should come down to OU and Purdue.

Personally, and trying to be unbiased here...there is not a team in this tournament that can beat OU unless they play inconsistent like we did in the second half against Davidson.

okienole3
11/21/2008, 07:47 AM
I miss read 1996 for 1986. I wasn't taking finals, but I was a couple years from graduating high school.

I remember Lou Moore. He was an explosive player. I don't remember what the issue was between him and Sampson.

Sooner04
11/21/2008, 10:03 AM
i was at that game. if i recall, that was the debut of Lou Moore.
A young freshman named Eduardo Najera had a monster alley-oop dunk at the end of that game too. We hammered Keady and his Pennzoil-ed combover that day.

Selvy's front end miss has forever scarred me. Indiana led most of the second half until we erupted. We went to that press and forced a few turnovers and then bam, it's 60-60 with Selvy going to the line. He misses, and some clown who probably never did **** before or since hit another three. We missed and they hit again. Game over.

I don't think Indiana missed a trey in the second half. I remember a sinking feeling when Jeffries banked one in from the top of the key.

Yep. I have still yet to recover.

NormanPride
11/21/2008, 10:10 AM
Just like you don't recover from MNC losses in football, you don't recover from final four or championship losses in basketball. How did we lose to Kansas in 88 again?

King Crimson
11/21/2008, 10:16 AM
Just like you don't recover from MNC losses in football, you don't recover from final four or championship losses in basketball. How did we lose to Kansas in 88 again?

naw, it ain't the same. we've won 4 NC's in football in my lifetime.

hoops is different. if we EVER win one, i might sublimate and go straight to heaven. if not heaven, at least it will seem like it.

Sooner04
11/21/2008, 10:16 AM
This is totally, completely my opinion, but here goes. It's easier to get over MNC losses because we've won them before. Seven of them. They're on the wall, and they are ours forever.

Until we win one in BBall, the losses are just devastating when you're that close. I hate Kansas more than anybody, but I couldn't even enjoy watching Maryland stomping a mudhole through them because I was still catatonic after our loss earlier in the night. I think my head was in my hands during the entire break. I remember a scalper rolling through our section looking for extra tickets for Monday night's final. I wanted him dead.

We lost to Kansas in '88 because we allowed them to dictate the pace in the second half and because we were not allowed to breathe on Manning. It didn't help that they had a bunch of clowns who couldn't miss a shot. Chris Piper, Milt Newton, Scooter ****ing Barry. Ugh.

King Crimson
11/21/2008, 10:18 AM
A young freshman named Eduardo Najera had a monster alley-oop dunk at the end of that game too. We hammered Keady and his Pennzoil-ed combover that day.

Selvy's front end miss has forever scarred me. Indiana led most of the second half until we erupted. We went to that press and forced a few turnovers and then bam, it's 60-60 with Selvy going to the line. He misses, and some clown who probably never did **** before or since hit another three. We missed and they hit again. Game over.

I don't think Indiana missed a trey in the second half. I remember a sinking feeling when Jeffries banked one in from the top of the key.

Yep. I have still yet to recover.

Indiana kind of has our number. we lose to Uwe Blob, the OT loss in 98 (?, my hat is still off to Corey Brewer in that one), and that ****pile loss to Mike Davis.

King Crimson
11/21/2008, 10:23 AM
i hate Chris Piper. we lost to KU in 88 because it was a home game for them in Kemper (bad luck) and Manning commits like 9 fouls in the game and is never whistled.

I'm not bitter at all about it.

there was also some clown from Denver on that KU 88 team. Maddox? he's on the radio all the time talking about how great they were.

King Crimson
11/21/2008, 10:25 AM
i thought i was going to die watching the 1998 NCAA tournament how many times they did a 10 year "Danny and the Miracles" retro montage.

it's 20 years now, so be on the look my fellow Sooners.

Sooner04
11/21/2008, 10:27 AM
it's 20 years now, so be on the look my fellow Sooners.
It's the '09 season. That ship sailed last year. When Chalmers hit that three to send the Memphis game into OT I wanted to walk out into the traffic.

King Crimson
11/21/2008, 10:35 AM
It's the '09 season. That ship sailed last year.

yeah, you are right. i'm irrational about it all.

When Chalmers hit that three to send the Memphis game into OT I wanted to walk out into the traffic.

lol, walk out into traffic. no doubt.

NormanPride
11/21/2008, 10:41 AM
I ****ing hated that damn Indiana game. I am a new basketball fan, as I lived in south Texas and never got to see a game when I was growing up. That and I just wasn't really into basketball. But that season was amazing. I really started appreciating the sport then, and watching us go so amazingly cold that night was the most frustrating thing ever. Even more than losing to aggy the year before.

I think that was when I realized that Sampson could win, but he was never really going to get to the top.

8timechamps
11/21/2008, 10:42 AM
It's the '09 season. That ship sailed last year. When Chalmers hit that three to send the Memphis game into OT I wanted to walk out into the traffic.

Because of the KU link to the '88 team or just because it was KU?

I was pulling for KU. Maybe I'm odd, but I don't think a team that shoots FTs as poorly as Memphis deserved to be crowned champion.

boomersooner28
11/21/2008, 10:47 AM
We're gonna win this tourney and then we will be on the national radar as a team to watch out for. We beat a darn good Davidson team that played well, don't buy into the Fran talk. A dude put up 44 points on us and we still won the game! 44! In college hoops, when someone scores 44, they usually win.

Sooner04
11/21/2008, 10:48 AM
Because of the KU link to the '88 team or just because it was KU?
It's just because it was Kansas. I've had enough interaction with those a-holes at the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City to develop an extremely healthy dislike towards them. Actually, it's stronger than that; I hate their ****ing guts. Unless you've really dealt with their fans, you just have no idea.

Blue sweaters and white turtlenecks. Barf.

Oh, and ask anybody who was unfortuate enough to be in Kansas City on that night in '88. Ask about the mob of Hawks at our team hotel. Horrible.

I was in OKC the night Rhode Island ended Paul Pierce's career in '98, and I was there in the Ford Center seven years later when Bucknell did the same for Keith Langford (his mom tried to get us on probation). It helped, and I loved it, but it didn't heal the scars.

King Crimson
11/21/2008, 10:51 AM
I was pulling for KU. Maybe I'm odd, but I don't think a team that shoots FTs as poorly as Memphis deserved to be crowned champion.

that's a good point. got to make FT's.

I think Calipari is a real scum bag and i even kind of like Bill Self. But, i can't get with a KU win.

the first time i ever saw OU lose in person was Nolan Cromwell in 75.

8timechamps
11/21/2008, 10:59 AM
It's just because it was Kansas. I've had enough interaction with those a-holes at the Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City to develop an extremely healthy dislike towards them. Actually, it's stronger than that; I hate their ****ing guts. Unless you've really dealt with their fans, you just have no idea.

Blue sweaters and white turtlenecks. Barf.

Oh, and ask anybody who was unfortuate enough to be in Kansas City on that night in '88. Ask about the mob of Hawks at our team hotel. Horrible.

I was in OKC the night Rhode Island ended Paul Pierce's career in '98, and I was there in the Ford Center seven years later when Bucknell did the same for Keith Langford (his mom tried to get us on probation). It helped, and I loved it, but it didn't heal the scars.

Makes sense.

I haven't had enough bad experiences with Jayhawk fans (well, no more than other fan bases) to be at that point. From the sound of things, had I been there in '88, I'd probably feel the same.

I do, however, share those feelings for CU football fans...but that's a whole other story/board.