PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown stepping down?

Ardmore_Sooner
11/18/2008, 04:42 PM
Guys, I heard some people talking today at Stoops presser that Mack would be stepping down in 2010 and handing the reigns to Muschamp per some UT media. I kinda just brushed it off.

Now a die hard UT friend of mine is calling me telling word for word the exact same thing and that an announcement will be made soon. I think this thing has wings as of now. Just thought I'd give a heads up!

Mac94
11/18/2008, 04:42 PM
http://texas.scout.com/2/813161.html

Mack Brown, at his weekly press conference, will announce today that defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has agreed to be the Head Coach in waiting.

The scenario is very akin to the coaching situation at Florida State where Jimbo Fisher has been announced as the heir apparent to Bobby Bowden.
The timeline for the succession plan is not known at this time, but Burnt Orange Beat believes it will likely happen after the 2009 season. That timing will allow for a season of transitioning and Mack Brown has always pointed to the 2009 season

Ardmore_Sooner
11/18/2008, 04:43 PM
I guess that answers my questions! :D

Mac94
11/18/2008, 04:44 PM
This has been talked about on Austin Sports radio since late September. Chip Brown of ESPN 1530am has talked about this possibility for awhile.

Mac94
11/18/2008, 04:48 PM
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111808aab.html

Collier11
11/18/2008, 04:49 PM
If that is true, I honestly hate to see him go. Say what you will but he is a good guy and a pretty damn good coach.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/18/2008, 04:50 PM
Is Muschamp the best choice is my next question?

Mac94
11/18/2008, 04:52 PM
No date is set ... speculation is after the 2009 season, but the official deal is that Muschamp is locked in and will take over whenever Mack retires but no one will say when that will be.

One discussed senario is that DeLoss Dodd's will retire, Mack will move up to the A.D. slot, and now Muschamp is the heir apparent head coach. Dodd's is getting up there in age ... he's been A.D. in Austin since 1982.

Sabanball
11/18/2008, 04:54 PM
Wonder what Major Applewhite is thinking about all this.

The Maestro
11/18/2008, 04:55 PM
Greg Robinson and Gene Chizik just found hanging from bridges.

StoopTroup
11/18/2008, 04:56 PM
One discussed senario is that DeLoss Dodd's will retire, Mack will move up to the A.D. slot, and now Muschamp is the heir apparent head coach. Dodd's is getting up there in age ... he's been A.D. in Austin since 1982.

Athletic Dickwheel?

SoonerStormchaser
11/18/2008, 04:56 PM
No...Greg just grabbed his crotch again and laid a few f-bombs.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/18/2008, 04:59 PM
The other thing they talked about was Dodds retiring and Mack becoming the new AD. We may never move out of the Cotton Bowl after all!

Fraggle145
11/18/2008, 05:07 PM

:pop: :pop: :pop:

Sabanball
11/18/2008, 05:08 PM
Greg Robinson and Gene Chizik just found hanging from bridges.

And a bunch of Auburn fans.

hgarmorer
11/18/2008, 05:09 PM
he's (muschamp) getting one hell of raise next year from around $475,000 to $900,000 to remain the D.C at Texass and wait for Brown to retire. Pretty damn good incentive to stick around I think.

soonerlaw
11/18/2008, 05:11 PM
Wow... give up 35 points to OU and lose to TTU and they make you head coach.

TMcGee86
11/18/2008, 05:31 PM

My first thought as well.

Although, this may mean he steps in as OC when Mack retires.

Of course if Mack is AD, I guess he could still decide who stays and who goes, so maybe Davis isn't on red alert.

ouwapiti
11/18/2008, 05:32 PM
just saw on espn crawl............hmmmmm

TexasLidig8r
11/18/2008, 05:34 PM
Wow... give up 35 points to OU and lose to TTU and they make you head coach.

Hillbillies.. :rolleyes:

You mean, hold OU and TTU under their season scoring average by 14 points and losing on a last second play in the biggest game ever played by the best team Tech has ever had?

Mack isn't going anywhere for a number of years. He still has 8 years left on his contract. If Texas wins it all in 2009 or 2010.. Mack may retire on top.

The move was designed to keep the Clemsons, Tennessees, Washingtons away, to bring stability to the program, to show recruits the defensive scheme won't change for years.

Muschamp solidifies his position with Texas high school coaches and players, continues to learn recruiting from Mack and is continually groomed to take the head job one day.

Brilliant move by Dodds.

ClintonSooner
11/18/2008, 05:35 PM
so is Mack gonna be done with ball for good or???

StoopTroup
11/18/2008, 05:35 PM
Like you guys are in danger of losing him....

ROTFLMAO!

Before mack's contract is over...you'll be begging him to leave.

TopDawg
11/18/2008, 05:37 PM
Here's hoping it works out as well for Texas football as it did for OSU basketball.

soonervegas
11/18/2008, 05:40 PM
Yes so far head coach designate have been very, very good to OU. My thought it is it will continue to pay dividends down the road. And Mack will be A.D. at UT before Fall of 2011. I'll even go one further....Stoops moves on by then too.

I do hate to see Mack go. The Mack/Stoops era will go down as one both sides will fondly remember.

bri
11/18/2008, 05:47 PM
Here's hoping it works out as well for Texas football as it did for OSU basketball.

My thought exactly. I didn't even know Mack had a drinking problem...

Ardmore_Sooner
11/18/2008, 05:48 PM
Rumblings are that he has two years. That's all I have heard so far.

The Maestro
11/18/2008, 05:51 PM
I can't wait to hear in 2017, "Let me answer that for Will!"

47straight
11/18/2008, 06:31 PM
Heh. Heh-heh. Hehheheheh. Hahehehahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA!!!!!!

Ah man. Somedays it's ok to live in Austin. I'm gonna go switch between the two sports talk radio channels in town as they try to see who can drink the kool-aid the fastest.

I immediately thought of the great way this same scheme is working out at Florida State and the Dallas Cowboys. I done forgot about OSU basketball! Thanks guys.

Oh man.

Okie35
11/18/2008, 06:34 PM
muschamp will leave once a team throws a vast amount of money at him...

JLEW1818
11/18/2008, 06:34 PM
When does his contract end?

Ardmore_Sooner
11/18/2008, 06:38 PM
I just don't see the reason of setting up to hire a guy that has little to no connections with the university. The Sean Sutton deal actually made sense, but this is somewhat baffling.

47straight
11/18/2008, 07:00 PM
I just don't see the reason of setting up to hire a guy that has little to no connections with the university. The Sean Sutton deal actually made sense, but this is somewhat baffling.

Apparently, Mack likes Muschamp. A lot. Like, in an anti-Prop-8 kind of way. And Muschamp's wife and family hates america and feels at home in Austin.

In all seriousness, I think he's moved a lot and his fam is sick of it and he likes the position he is in.

Jacie
11/18/2008, 07:15 PM
By naming Muschamp now, of course, Texas takes themselves out of the running for . . .

Number of black coaches has dropped

November 18, 2008

Tom Dienhart
Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer

And then there were four.

That's the number of black head coaches who are guaranteed Football Bowl Subdivision (i.e., Division I-A) jobs for 2009 after Kansas State and Washington have announced that Ron Prince and Tyrone Willingham won't return next season.

Buffalo coach Turner Gill could be ready to move to a "Big Six" conference.
That leaves Buffalo's Turner Gill, Houston's Kevin Sumlin, Mississippi State's Sylvester Croom and Miami's Randy Shannon as the only black coaches in the 120-team FBS ranks. If that number stands, it will mark the first time big-time college football has had just four black coaches since 2003. (It's worth noting that offensive coordinator Joker Phillips is in line to take over as coach at Kentucky when Rich Brooks retires.)

That's an embarrassment.

Every school conducting a search should receive pressure to thoroughly consider a black coach. The NFL has the "Rooney Rule," which mandates that teams interview minority candidates for a head coaching job. If they don't, the teams can be fined.

Unfortunately, the NCAA only can encourage schools to interview black coaches. The organization has no authority to punish schools that don't interview minorities. Therein is the problem.

Currently, there are openings at Syracuse, Washington, Utah State, Toledo, Tennessee and Clemson. There also could be openings at Wyoming and San Diego State, among other schools.

The black coach who seems best-positioned to claim a "Big Six" job is Gill, who is in his third season at Buffalo. He has led the Bulls to a 6-4 mark and currently sits in first place in the MAC East. Gill, 46, led Buffalo to a 5-7 record in 2007, including a 5-3 mark in league play. He seems primed for a greater challenge. Would, say, Syracuse and Kansas State consider Gill, a former Nebraska quarterback? Either place seems like a good fit for Gill's skill set.

Ted Gilmore is a black assistant who is ready to become a head coach. He currently is the assistant head coach/receivers coach at Nebraska. Gilmore would be a perfect fit at Wyoming, a job that likely will open. Gilmore, 41, played at Wyoming (1988-89) and served as a Cowboys assistant (1994-98). He also has served on staffs at Kansas, Houston, Purdue and Colorado. It's vital that whoever gets the Wyoming job has an intimate knowledge of the school and the obstacles that must be overcome. It isn't an easy place to win. Since Joe Tiller left after the 1996 season, Dana Dimel and Vic Koenning have come and gone, and Joe Glenn is next to leave.

UCLA defensive coordinator Dewayne Walker is another black assistant who figures to be on Wyoming's radar. He consistently coordinates some of the best defenses in America.

And keep an eye on Pittsburgh Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson, who has coached at Wyoming and has an impressive résumé that also includes stints at USC and Iowa State and in the NFL with the Cardinals, Buccaneers, Redskins and Patriots.

Other black assistants who should be on the radar:

James Franklin, Maryland offensive coordinator. In his first season back in College Park, he has brought stability to what was an inconsistent Terps attack. Some feel Franklin may be getting groomed to one day take over for Ralph Friedgen.

Mike Locksley, Illinois offensive coordinator. The Illini are struggling, but it isn't because of Locksley's offense.

Jay Norvell, Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator. His résumé includes stops in the NFL (Colts and Raiders) along with jobs in the college ranks at places such as UCLA, Nebraska, Iowa State and Wisconsin.

Charlie Strong, Florida defensive coordinator. He has turned what was a weak unit into one of the best in America. Strong has come close in years past to landing head coaching jobs. His time may be now.

TopDawg
11/18/2008, 07:35 PM
This is just Texas' lame way of trying to get some press on a week that's going to be focused on OU and Tech.

bri
11/18/2008, 08:10 PM
Quota interviews, FTW!

Man, I'm a liberal and even I hate liberal guilt. :D

BASSooner
11/18/2008, 08:45 PM
That's a bit early

nytehorn
11/18/2008, 08:45 PM
I somewhat agree with TopDawg. Bad timing. But several schools are actively seeking permission to talk to possible replacement coaches. So, it needed to be done now to squash the other schools wanting to interview him. Plus, we still have 3 high-profile defensive players on our recruitment list. So it just makes sense to do it now, so the recruits see he will still be there for the future.

oupride
11/18/2008, 08:54 PM
What year?

Collier11
11/18/2008, 09:02 PM
If you know exactly who you want, I dont think you should be forced to interview anyone else...The rule is a good rule but it isnt realistic at times. It is just too bad that some are so hate filled that there has to be a rule in affect to get ppl interviews

Partial Qualifier
11/18/2008, 09:08 PM
Hairbrained move by Dodds.

I agree.

If history is any indication, 'coach pre-designate' has about a 10% chance of working out as intended. These deals rarely amount to any measure of success and I hate to say it, but the Texas football program is far above pre-designating a coach.

If you're Texas, why would you marry an unproven head coach, instead of retaining the luxury of cherry-picking when the time is right? Where in the world is Muschamp gonna go that Texas couldn't hire him away? LET him try a stint as head coach at a school like Clemson -- after all, Texas could hire him away from Clemson when and if Mack leaves.... *if* he's still looking like UT head coach material...correct?

The best explanations I've seen only address recruiting -- which makes perfect sense because after all, Texas has a hard time landing recruits :confused:

Bizarre decision -- Good luck with that

bri
11/18/2008, 09:12 PM
Well, the reason schools think it's a good idea is the all important "stability". With more competition than ever for good players, they think having the next guy lined up helps convince recruits that even if the head coach leaves while they're playing, they'll still know who they're playing for.

Having said that, that plan couldn't be more retarded.

BASSooner
11/18/2008, 09:14 PM
What year?

I believe mack has 8 years left on his contract but rumor has it that he is to step down POSSIBLY by 2010

birddog
11/18/2008, 09:22 PM
dodds will retire in 3 year and mack will move up, apparently.

oupride
11/18/2008, 09:25 PM
Muschamp will succeed Mack (http://www.40acressports.com/2008/11/18/will-muschamp-will-be-the-next-head-coach-of-the-texas-longhorns/).

JLEW1818
11/18/2008, 09:33 PM
I hope we don't copycat and line BV up ......lol CB I know you like that !!! haha

Sabanball
11/18/2008, 09:41 PM
Apparently, Mack likes Muschamp. A lot. Like, in an anti-Prop-8 kind of way. And Muschamp's wife and family hates america and feels at home in Austin.

In all seriousness, I think he's moved a lot and his fam is sick of it and he likes the position he is in.

If this has Mack's and DKR's blessing, you can bet it is a done deal.

rainiersooner
11/18/2008, 10:10 PM
Does "coach in waiting" come with any contractual obligation to actually hire and promote Muschamp to HC? If not (or if it does and the contract does not have onerous penalties to breach by UT but onerous buy out clause for a third party)...I would think this is a great PR move and a good way to keep him from being hired elsewhere. Aside from the fact this is Texas (and assuming they are right in valuing him as highly as they do) - pretty clever move imo.

JLEW1818
11/18/2008, 10:17 PM
Might be an oral agreement.... b/c I know Mack is a big fan of that... (Vincent Young)

Sabanball
11/18/2008, 11:52 PM
Does "coach in waiting" come with any contractual obligation to actually hire and promote Muschamp to HC? If not (or if it does and the contract does not have onerous penalties to breach by UT but onerous buy out clause for a third party)...I would think this is a great PR move and a good way to keep him from being hired elsewhere. Aside from the fact this is Texas (and assuming they are right in valuing him as highly as they do) - pretty clever move imo.

Yes.

OUmillenium
11/19/2008, 01:30 PM
This is good enough to be named head coach at UTerus?

Total Defense 348.5 yds (58th in NCAA)

OUmillenium
11/19/2008, 01:31 PM
And that is with a cupcake nonconference schedule...yikes.

TexasLidig8r
11/19/2008, 03:33 PM
And that is with a cupcake nonconference schedule...yikes.

yeah.. those winless Washington Huskies and not only a Division II school.. but an incredibly poor Division II school.. Chattanooga... were true tests. :rolleyes:

TheHumanAlphabet
11/19/2008, 04:40 PM
UT screws Applewhite again!...

Unless Applewhite moves into Davis' position.

A-M
11/19/2008, 04:50 PM
They don't want him to go to another school for a head coach job. This is the only way they think they can keep him.