PDA

View Full Version : 1995:Would OU have taken Barry Switzer back as coach?

SoonerShark
11/18/2008, 02:51 PM
If Snyder is back in the Little Apple, some would think that was silly, but would we have taken Barry Switzer as our coach again if he was not the Irving Cowboy's coach? His vivaciousness played less well to the pro fans than it did to Sooner fans. Of course, if I were Barry, I would remain the beloved elder statesman like he is perceived of now.

OklahomaTuba
11/18/2008, 03:01 PM
No.

Pat Jones? Maybe.

SoonerStormchaser
11/18/2008, 03:05 PM
Nope...too much controversy at the end when compared to Snyder.

OKLA21FAN
11/18/2008, 03:10 PM
As long as David Swank is on the University pay-roll, the answer would be 'No'.

The Maestro
11/18/2008, 03:16 PM
I would hope not. Leave his legacy alone. Besides, the wishbone was dead and gone for big time teams at that point.

SoonerShark
11/18/2008, 03:18 PM
After the droughts we had...we thought we hit bottom under Gary Gibbs after going 6-5 prior to getting thumped by BYU...if Switzer was wandering around Norman rather than prowling the Irving sidelines it might have made a difference. Switzer meant more to OU than Swank, though I actually liked Swank in person at the law school.

SoonerShark
11/18/2008, 03:19 PM
I would hope not. Leave his legacy alone. Besides, the wishbone was dead and gone for big time teams at that point.

Barry brought in the bone. We still play option ball, just down field. We have four HBs rather than two on the field nowadays.

SoonerShark
11/18/2008, 03:24 PM

Snyder may not reach his prior stature. The job he did was indeed the Manhattan Miracle. Snyder brought life out of nothingness. Years ago we played KSU in Norman from 88-92 since they sold us their home game. They made more money as the visitor in Norman than as a home team in Kansas.

Switzer's last three games as coach we scored a total of 25 points. Of course, we just gave up 27, beating MU, and losing to NU and Clemson.

OKLA21FAN
11/18/2008, 03:30 PM
After the droughts we had...we thought we hit bottom under Gary Gibbs after going 6-5 prior to getting thumped by BYU...if Switzer was wandering around Norman rather than prowling the Irving sidelines it might have made a difference. Switzer meant more to OU than Swank, though I actually liked Swank in person at the law school.

heh!
unfortunately in early 1989 that was not the case.

SoonerShark
11/18/2008, 03:38 PM
heh!
unfortunately in early 1989 that was not the case.

In 1989, we had players in shackles on the cover of newspapers and magazines as they were carted of to prison. In 1995, we were beaten by KSU and many others. As my late mama told me when we started to lose, "Maybe having players who can read IS overrated."

Sabanball
11/18/2008, 04:05 PM
Absolutely not.

Phil
11/18/2008, 04:55 PM
In. A. Heartbeat.

But The King wouldn't have done it.

SoonerStormchaser
11/18/2008, 04:57 PM
This thread is now closed...PHIL HAS SPOKEN!!!

Phil
11/18/2008, 04:58 PM
Switzer meant more to OU than Swank, though I actually liked Swank in person at the law school.

Swank was the dean when I was there. I did the video for the Gridiron event my second year and was unmercifully harsh on him. I videoed him from afar at an evening event at the school. I got him eating, laughing, etc., then went back in and added sound effects. It was quite funny. Then I went over and did a fake commercial for the Swank Motel on Shields - the kind of place where they rent by the hour. In fact, that was in the commercial, come to think of it. Good times.

Swank is an Aggie Tool.

Leroy Lizard
11/19/2008, 03:01 AM
Besides, the wishbone was dead and gone for big time teams at that point.

I think Barry did employ offensive coordinators from time to time.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2008, 03:09 AM
Hell, I'd welcome him back on a weekly basis to teach OU tradition and pride and maybe get in our guys' faces now, much less then.

This is the biggest difference between Stoops' first few years and now, not OC, DC, ST, or other coches...he had those guys back a LOT more than now.