PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops and the Fans

SteelClip49
11/18/2008, 09:08 AM
Murdock played a clip from yesterday after there was a mini-presser on the field and basically said the home record has nothing to do with the fans; only time we are loud is when nearing the goal line and scoring a TD; opposing teams don't need a silent count; basically saying we are not a factor and that the 59-2 home record is because of execution and not fan support.

I don't know if he is serious about that or just pissing off the Tulsa World guy who is annoying but whatever it is, i am a bit shocked he would make those comments.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2008, 09:18 AM
I agree with him...I had a conversation with somebody about this a few weeks ago.....

The crowd gathered at the tailgate watching the Texas-TT game was louder than the stadium during the OU Nebraska game...And just not that game....It the majority of them...

Plus he has a secret meaning to bringing this up

soonervegas
11/18/2008, 09:23 AM
If you don't think that was scripted I feel sorry for ya. he says that the week of the biggest home game since 2000 hmmmm.....

I have been to games all over the big 12 and big 10 and I have heard one stadium louder than ours for a big game.....kansas state in 2000.

Collier11
11/18/2008, 09:25 AM
Plus he has a secret meaning to bringing this up

???

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2008, 09:25 AM
???

SO YOU BASTARDS WILL BE LOUD SATURDAY NIGHT!

OUMallen
11/18/2008, 09:26 AM
If you don't think that was scripted I feel sorry for ya. he says that the week of the biggest home game since 2000 hmmmm.....

I have been to games all over the big 12 and big 10 and I have heard one stadium louder than ours for a big game.....kansas state in 2000.

I have trouble believing that Austin isn't louder than us.

And Bob's right. Our fans can be loud at times, but not at the right times. If we're down 7 and the opposing team is in our territory, it's not usually loud at all on first and 2nd down.

SteelClip49
11/18/2008, 09:32 AM
I do believe he is trying to get us riled up so we can prove it on Saturday. Thi isn't Oklahoma State, home of 1 trophy....this is Oklahoma...home to a trophy LOBBY...plenty of reasons to be loud. Hell, Sanford Stadium gets loud and all they have is 1 national title and their fans are always loud. We need to step it up.

Hell, Thunder games are pathetic as well. No one cheers unless told to. Stoops has spoken and the fans need to step the F up and CHEER LIKE A MOTHERFN CHAMPION!!!

badger
11/18/2008, 09:36 AM
When the crowd needs the team, it is pretty darn loud there.

OU-Bammer near the end = loud.

OU-Mizzou in the 3rd-4th quarter = loud.

Other than that, yeah, our execution means that they haven't needed the fans as much, but I'm sure they still enjoy getting cheered at just a little bit :D

SoonersEnFuego
11/18/2008, 09:36 AM
We shouldn't just be loud when they break their huddle.
We should be loud when they are on the sideline talking to their coach, in the huddle, lined up for the play, during the play, after the play, in the huddle again, during the timeout...every time the ball is their possession, we should be loud.

yermom
11/18/2008, 09:40 AM
yep.

like i said in the other thread, our fans are poorly trained and the people running the game aren't helping

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2008, 09:42 AM
Sometimes its like 85,000 gathered to watch a PGA event...polite clapping and a random guy yelling something

Lott's Bandana
11/18/2008, 09:42 AM
When the crowd needs the team, it is pretty darn loud there.

OU-Bammer near the end = loud.

OU-Mizzou in the 3rd-4th quarter = loud.

Other than that, yeah, our execution means that they haven't needed the fans as much, but I'm sure they still enjoy getting cheered at just a little bit :D

Or visa-versa.

I think 56-2, or whatever it is now, has something to do with that. I don't get the impression Austin is particularly loud either, when I watch the games on TV.

The Swamp is loud. The old OB was loud back in the day. Auzten is loud.

By the way, BS did say we have a tremendous atmosphere, just not a "snake-pit", as I posted on an earlier thread.

Collier11
11/18/2008, 09:48 AM
If I remember correctly he did this before a game in 03' maybe and the fans responded...it may have been the puke st game, afterwards Stoops praised the fans for answering the challenge. I like it, he knows that we need any advantage to throw their offense off a little

BoonesFarmSooner
11/18/2008, 09:53 AM
Bob's right. Maestro and I were talking about this earlier this morning, before I even saw this thread...

Owen Field usually isn't all that loud. It was for OSU in 2003, but for the most part - our fans are pretty subdued.

Hopefully it'll be different on Saturday night!

birddog
11/18/2008, 09:54 AM
i sit in the south endzone and the crowd actually does seem pretty lame. of course, they seem to win by 50 every home game so there isn't a reason to get amped up.

OUMallen
11/18/2008, 09:58 AM
yep.

like i said in the other thread, our fans are poorly trained and the people running the game aren't helping

This.

Partial Qualifier
11/18/2008, 10:19 AM

so this is the fans' equivelant of that next-to-last fall scrimmage, when Stoops is all down in the dumps re: the team's effort?

:D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2008, 10:20 AM
so this is the fans' equivelant of that next-to-last fall scrimmage, when Stoops is all down in the dumps re: the team's effort?

:D

Exactly :D

primetime43
11/18/2008, 10:34 AM
They need to give everyone in the stadium a white towel. MLB teams do this a lot in the playoffs. Its looks awesome on TV when everyone is waving them. I would imagine it looks intimidating to the other team.

fwsooner22
11/18/2008, 10:49 AM
Its time to forget how old you are and pretend you are a student again. Forget how you think it looks to yell your butt off. You are not there to act cool. If you have a voice when this is over YOU failed to be an OU fan.

Austin is freakin loud as heck now that they have enclosed it. That stadium is awesome now. I was really impressed. It isn't a zoo but it is darn loud. We can do better than that right?

noobalicious
11/18/2008, 10:58 AM
I've been to a few different stadiums, some were much more mediocre teams, and their fans seem a lot crazier. The fans here seem very tame. Granted, our fans are very loyal, knowledgable and supportive, and some of the classiest fans out there...but being classy doesn't = noise on Saturdays.

I think part of the problem is the long track record of success in the Stoops era. We've been a little spoiled. Also, it's been awhile since we've been challenged at home, or had the feeling going in: "this is a game we could lose".

That being said, this is Gameday, a shot at a national title on the line, and a team that beat us last year to end our hopes. I would expect our fans to rise to the occasion. This isn't a game where people can just sit in their seats and clap as if Tiger Woods just hit it on the fairway, people need to be out of their seats and yelling. Whoever said "if you don't have a voice left at the end of the game, you did your job" is right.

soonermix
11/18/2008, 11:03 AM
i'll admit that sometimes it is hard to be loud when you are up by 40 in the first half

bri
11/18/2008, 11:05 AM
BOB STOOPS HAS A CLEAR ANTI-OU BIAS!!

Are we gonna start emailing him, too?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2008, 11:08 AM
send your emails to [email protected] bet you'll get a response

Collier11
11/18/2008, 11:27 AM
Ive heard this game is a "white-out", wear white shirts, bring white towels, and if a donor tells you to sit down, throw them over the side of the stadium

NormanPride
11/18/2008, 11:31 AM
Our fans don't participate in the chants anymore... I remember running out of the tunnels and hearing everyone doing the "O-U" thing when the Pride first started it's pregame show. Now... not so much.

We did get kind of loud for Nebbish, though. There were times when the crowd really came alive. But it was an easy game, and the old fogeys and casual fans left by the third quarter. The remaining 40k were pretty good and loud, though. You could tell they were the only ones making noise the whole time. :D

85sooners
11/18/2008, 11:33 AM
BRING THE THUNDER!!!!!!!!!

Collier11
11/18/2008, 11:47 AM

wrong game

jrboomersooner
11/18/2008, 11:58 AM
They need to give everyone in the stadium a white towel. MLB teams do this a lot in the playoffs. Its looks awesome on TV when everyone is waving them. I would imagine it looks intimidating to the other team.

also intimidating in war.

the last game that we were loud at through the whole game was ou/neb 2000. mizzou last year was pretty loud too. the difference is those were competitive games. its hard to ask the 93 year old donor to stand up and yell his cancer ridden lungs out during a blowout. not a bad problem to have and i hope we have that problem on saturday.

MrJimBeam
11/18/2008, 11:58 AM
They need to give everyone in the stadium a white towel.

Texas A&M has been doing this since the invention of towels and football. It seems to be working well for them.

Lets just scream till our heads explode.

Lott's Bandana
11/18/2008, 12:06 PM
Ive heard this game is a "white-out", wear white shirts, bring white towels, and if a donor tells you to sit down, throw them over the side of the stadium

I shall be sportin' Crimson...as usual.

noobalicious
11/18/2008, 12:33 PM
Ive heard this game is a "white-out"

From who?

Collier11
11/18/2008, 12:38 PM
on the radio

achiro
11/18/2008, 12:44 PM
How many night games have we had in the last 3 years at home?

gundleok
11/18/2008, 12:46 PM
Can the 45,000 who attend OU/tx please show up on Saturday? Somehow we're louder in Dallas with half the crowd than we are in Norman. I know it's a rivalry but it shows that our fans can get loud.

noobalicious
11/18/2008, 12:51 PM
on the radio

Innnnnnnnnteresting.

Suppose it would be nice if they forwarded the memo to the people who were going to the game. :D

A whiteout would be possible in the student section maybe, but I doubt it would look like anything more than swiss cheese with huge crimson holes in the remainder of the stadium.

OUMallen
11/18/2008, 12:54 PM

Not sure how twelve guys are going to help if 85k can't get it done.

noobalicious
11/18/2008, 12:57 PM

Yeah, especially when those 12 guys are pretty terrible.

setem
11/18/2008, 01:22 PM
I think our guys would have a hard time staying motivated if us fans did not cheer for them. That being said our **** is pretty weak! I never realized the lack of noise we have in our stadium until I went to a Hog game. That place is ear thumping loud. When they call the Hogs I bet less than 100 people don't participate from the Arkansas fan base.

I do my best to cheer my drunk *** off for the Sooners but there are parts of the stadium that quiet as a church. We should try and bring the damn place to the ground on Saturday. TT's O works off changing at the line and if they can communicate then they will be in big trouble all night long. BE LOUD!

JLEW1818
11/18/2008, 01:26 PM
"We love Sam" - Bob Stoops

Taxman71
11/18/2008, 01:29 PM

11....Desmond Mason ain't rootin for his big brother.

The Maestro
11/18/2008, 01:33 PM
Its time to forget how old you are and pretend you are a student again.

Best line of the entire thread. OU's long time success means we have a lot of old fans. Fans since the 50's, 60's and season tickets passed down for generations. God love the old timers, but our fans are quite subdued and way too polite.

I am glad Stoops threw this out there. Something for fans to think about.

Stay home and watch it on T.V. if being comfortable is important to you.

Otherwise, get off your *** and make some damn noise!

OUMallen
11/18/2008, 01:36 PM
11....Desmond Mason ain't rootin for his big brother.

Durant has to. :D

Taxman71
11/18/2008, 01:38 PM
I think OU should force everyone over the age of 55 to sit in the upper decks. No reason to stand up there and any noise from them is diluted before it hits the field.

If you are over 55, you can apply for an exemption by walking for 45 continuous minutes in the Sooner Fashion Mall while singing Oklahoma next to the water fountain.

OUstud
11/18/2008, 02:11 PM
Rich Rod on his team's fans...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3710474

What a d0ucher.

noobalicious
11/18/2008, 02:20 PM
Stay home and watch it on T.V. if being comfortable is important to you.

Well said. I hate being at a sporting event and being yelled at to be quieter or to sit down, like supporting my team 100% is a bad thing. Better not be any of that kind of attitude on Saturday...

Collier11
11/18/2008, 02:26 PM
I think our guys would have a hard time staying motivated if us fans did not cheer for them. That being said our **** is pretty weak! I never realized the lack of noise we have in our stadium until I went to a Hog game. That place is ear thumping loud. When they call the Hogs I bet less than 100 people don't participate from the Arkansas fan base.

I do my best to cheer my drunk *** off for the Sooners but there are parts of the stadium that quiet as a church. We should try and bring the damn place to the ground on Saturday. TT's O works off changing at the line and if they can communicate then they will be in big trouble all night long. BE LOUD!

Please remove my avatar from your profile, I dont want your bad joo joo rubbing off on me

Sooner13
11/18/2008, 02:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A-05wPlQQ4

Taxman71
11/18/2008, 02:31 PM
Well said. I hate being at a sporting event and being yelled at to be quieter or to sit down, like supporting my team 100% is a bad thing. Better not be any of that kind of attitude on Saturday...

The problem is that security will remove the ones who stand and yell in favor of those sitting down quietly. IF OU/Stoops/anyone else wants to really change the environment at Owen Field, they should instruct security to ignore complaints against those who stand and cheer (unless confrontational, profane, etc.). The whiners will eventually just stay home.

Seriously, would it be inconceivable to have a designated "no standing" section for those who can't or don't want to stand? I think it would be a good idea since many people can't stand for long or for other reasons.

Note to OU: it is a concept called trying to please your customers.

Fraggle145
11/18/2008, 02:48 PM
Murdock played a clip from yesterday after there was a mini-presser on the field and basically said the home record has nothing to do with the fans; only time we are loud is when nearing the goal line and scoring a TD; opposing teams don't need a silent count; basically saying we are not a factor and that the 59-2 home record is because of execution and not fan support.

I don't know if he is serious about that or just pissing off the Tulsa World guy who is annoying but whatever it is, i am a bit shocked he would make those comments.

I'm not. Our fans can really suck at times. Not. Loud. At. All. Our band sucks too, and gets its *** handed to it by every visiting band that enters the stadium. But I digress... I mean our coaches and kids are constantly trying to get the fans up at games and they just sit there. I've been in louder NFL stadiums. It pisses me off.

noobalicious
11/18/2008, 02:51 PM
Our band sucks too, and gets its *** handed to it by every visiting band that enters the stadium.

Meh. The band at least makes a LOT of noise. Which makes it awesome they are right behind the visitors bench. Plus the band is the one thing a lot of the old grouches cheer for.

Although, they need to be more aware of what our offense is doing since they've played through the snap on many occasions this year

Fraggle145
11/18/2008, 02:54 PM
Meh. The band at least makes a LOT of noise.

Heh, noise is about right... although I'm not sure there is a lot of it. :cool:

instigator
11/18/2008, 03:08 PM
yep.

I think the second part is a lot to blame. I can't tell you how many times they start music playing over the crowd chanting "Boomer" or something similarly as dumb. I think we need a gameday coordinator. to time everything better so as not to disrupt the momentum when the fans finally do something.

Oh and Friday night yell practice wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Collier11
11/18/2008, 03:10 PM
Heh, noise is about right... although I'm not sure there is a lot of it. :cool:

The band is just there playing the same 3 songs over and over and annoying the bejeesus out of me and most everyone else

primetime43
11/18/2008, 03:24 PM
If you think about it we should have the loudest stadium in the country. The stands have to be closer to the field than any other stadium I've seen. That should be an advantage!

SoonerStormchaser
11/18/2008, 03:28 PM
Our fans don't participate in the chants anymore...

Yah...cuz the student section was guilty of changing the cheers during pre-game.

Back in 2003...

The cheer:
O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A Let's get rowdy! Let's get rowdy!

The student section's warp on it:
O-K (silence) HO! (more silence) O-K (silence) HO! (more silence) Let's get NAKED! Let's get NAKED!

Then this one cheerleader chastised the crowd...and we started booing her. Then she screamed out "Do you all not like me or something." And...in unison..."GO AWAY!"

aaah...those were the days...

And the loudest I ever heard it was one particular game against Little Brother back in 03...my ears were ringing after that.

goodolesooner
11/18/2008, 03:37 PM
Coach always says this when asked about the crowd factor.

Remember the year he got the aTm base all riled up, which Fran decided to use to his advantage at the midnight yell?

He's said it several times that both teams play on the same field, blah blah blah.

He knows that playing at home has its advantages. We are not loud consistently throughout the game, but you get us on a serious down, my god.

yermom
11/18/2008, 04:01 PM
I think the second part is a lot to blame. I can't tell you how many times they start music playing over the crowd chanting "Boomer" or something similarly as dumb. I think we need a gameday coordinator. to time everything better so as not to disrupt the momentum when the fans finally do something.

Oh and Friday night yell practice wouldn't hurt either. ;)

watching the Seahawks crowd really opened my eyes

i seriously thought about emailing the athletic department and telling them to send someone to watch one of their games

i can't believe we don't have someone that acts as a gameday coordinator, if we do, they aren't doing it very well, or don't have enough pull with the cheerleaders and the band, or something

SoonerPr8r
11/18/2008, 04:08 PM
Perhaps the intro video can be a bunch of clips of people saying how quiet our stadium is during games.

SoonerTroll
11/18/2008, 04:27 PM
I think he is spot on. Nothing gets on my nerves more then when people complain about standing during the game. I understand that we all pay our money and if you want to sit and not cheer that is fine, but you can turn your head and watch the game on the jumbotron because I will be standing and cheering from kickoff till post-game party time!

MALE918
11/18/2008, 04:57 PM
The problem is that security will remove the ones who stand and yell in favor of those sitting down quietly.

I hope to hell this is not true.

Being in Georgia most of the people I hang around with are GA fans so I have been to a GA game, Florida/GA game and a Gamecock game along with a couple of OU games and I hate to say it but we are very tame.

Also on a side note, being excruciatingly loud also helps in recruiting. Big time athletes want to here our support.

yermom
11/18/2008, 04:59 PM
i've watched security tell people to sit down

it was lame

Collier11
11/18/2008, 05:08 PM
Is it time to send an email to Joe C. if about this crap?

bri
11/18/2008, 05:09 PM
I'm surprised the athletic department hasn't adopted what Tampa does. They have a number you can send text messages to if someone in your section is being "disruptive" but you don't have the sack to let them know you're a punk-*ss.

Collier11
11/18/2008, 05:15 PM
They do that in KC also, wich is Ironic since the Chiefs used to thrive off of having a big home-field advantage

w0lfe
11/18/2008, 05:25 PM
i have been saying this for awhile that our fans do not get loud. It does get very very very irritating that people bitch cause you are standing. One thing to notice when watching a home game on tv is how easy it can be at times to hear the commentators. Other stadiums when the opposing team has the ball, the commentators actually mention how loud it is and have to speak louder for you to be able to hear them. There has probably been 1 or 2 times i have ever heard owen field get that loud. A couple years ago at the LNC when we were hosting OSU, an Poke fan sat next to me and was standing supporting his team and OU fans behind him were bitchign cause he was standing. And he turned to me and said, I cant believe none of your fans stand :eek:

bri
11/18/2008, 05:27 PM
The fact that your story doesn't end with you punching that guy in the balls for being aggy makes it super fail.

Sooner Stew
11/18/2008, 05:54 PM
how about the game in 2000 against Nebraska? If i remember correctly that was an 11 oclock game and it was by far the loudest ive been too with exception to OsU in 03...but in 2000 there were people standing in the stairwells...I want that again!

SCSoonerfan
11/18/2008, 06:05 PM
Well I pretty much guarantee that the folks in my neighborhood in Columbia, Sc will be wondering who the hell Im yelling for since the chickens have a bye week. Hell you may hear me in Norman.

MichiganSooner
11/18/2008, 08:43 PM
I think OU should force everyone over the age of 55 to sit in the upper decks. No reason to stand up there and any noise from them is diluted before it hits the field.

If you are over 55, you can apply for an exemption by walking for 45 continuous minutes in the Sooner Fashion Mall while singing Oklahoma next to the water fountain.

Eh?

I'm 57, never an athlete...bet I can outwalk most any of the young studs on this board any day.

oupride
11/18/2008, 08:57 PM
We shouldn't just be loud when they break their huddle.
We should be loud when they are on the sideline talking to their coach, in the huddle, lined up for the play, during the play, after the play, in the huddle again, during the timeout...every time the ball is their possession, we should be loud.

Hats off SEF!

CatfishSooner
11/18/2008, 08:57 PM
The stadium will be loud sat.

Collier11
11/18/2008, 09:04 PM
The stadium will be loud sat.

If there is one thing that Oklahomans respond to it is a Challenge! Stoops calls us out and he is going to get what he wants I would guess

birddog
11/18/2008, 09:25 PM
how about the game in 2000 against Nebraska? If i remember correctly that was an 11 oclock game and it was by far the loudest ive been too with exception to OsU in 03...but in 2000 there were people standing in the stairwells...I want that again!

don't worry, it'll be insanity in there this saturday. my 68 year old pops has quite a foghorn on him.

bri
11/18/2008, 09:33 PM
You know what sucks about all this?

a) Our coach had to call our fans out in public.
b) The fact that he has to "challenge" the fans to make noise only proves his point.
c) Our fans' defense? "We're loud when we want to be." Again, that's what he's saying.
d) Now everyone will rise to the occasion Saturday and make it go bonkers. And then when the game is over, they'll all high-five each other and then go right back to sucking 95% of the time. Nothing will change.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/18/2008, 09:34 PM
I'm almost a man....I'm 39...and I plan on yelling my azz off Sat night. So if that is part of Stoops plan to amp the fans up it worked in my case.

Soonerus
11/18/2008, 09:35 PM
OU crowds have been great for years, who is Stoops trying to kid....

bri
11/18/2008, 09:40 PM
Yeah, you're right. What does the head football coach know?

Good lord.

Soonerus
11/18/2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah, you're right. What does the head football coach know?

Good lord.

Most of us have been here a lot longer than him...

Collier11
11/18/2008, 09:44 PM
And the crowds have been loud when expected but not from start to finish like we need...there are also alot of game type situations that OU fans dont understand where we need to be loud

Collier11
11/18/2008, 09:45 PM

So youre one of the donors that tries to make people sit down :D

Soonerus
11/18/2008, 09:47 PM
So youre one of the donors that tries to make people sit down :D

please...

bri
11/18/2008, 09:50 PM

I continue to be amazed at your boundless and unfounded arrogance.

Soonerus
11/18/2008, 09:51 PM
I continue to be amazed at your boundless and unfounded arrogance.

Thanks cheese man...

bri
11/18/2008, 09:56 PM
And you suck at insults.

Soonerus
11/18/2008, 10:00 PM
Ok, cheesy last word freak....

SoonerBBall
11/18/2008, 10:19 PM
Yah...cuz the student section was guilty of changing the cheers during pre-game.

Back in 2003...

The cheer:
O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A Let's get rowdy! Let's get rowdy!

The student section's warp on it:
O-K (silence) HO! (more silence) O-K (silence) HO! (more silence) Let's get NAKED! Let's get NAKED!

Then this one cheerleader chastised the crowd...and we started booing her. Then she screamed out "Do you all not like me or something." And...in unison..."GO AWAY!"

aaah...those were the days...

And the loudest I ever heard it was one particular game against Little Brother back in 03...my ears were ringing after that.

Just to be clear, IronSooner and I were the first students to make fun of the Traveler's Chant. We started the Let's get NAKED part of it, and we also had all the students yell HOE! when the girl with the "HO" sign stood up.

You are all welcome. We killed that stupid *** chant before it had a chance to take root.

We were also the only 2 students in the whole section to sing OK, Oklahoma when the band would play it. That is a great fight song and the athletic department should do more to get the words out to the students so more will sing it.

MichiganSooner
11/18/2008, 10:33 PM
Speaking of the band and crowd noise, can someone in the band teach the rest of the band to hold out the long note before 3rd down the way you used to? Shouldn't be that hard to learn by Saturday.

StormySooner-IN
11/18/2008, 10:45 PM
Speaking of the band and crowd noise, can someone in the band teach the rest of the band to hold out the long note before 3rd down the way you used to? Shouldn't be that hard to learn by Saturday.
+1

Iam4OUru
11/18/2008, 10:51 PM
i've watched security tell people to sit down

it was lame

This is not a problem in Tiger Stadium....security can't stand up.;)

11/18/2008, 10:53 PM
I've been to 'em all in the Big 12... we aren't even close. I'll bet Saturday is different.

soonerborn45
11/18/2008, 11:35 PM
You know what sucks about all this?

a) Our coach had to call our fans out in public.
b) The fact that he has to "challenge" the fans to make noise only proves his point.
c) Our fans' defense? "We're loud when we want to be." Again, that's what he's saying.
d) Now everyone will rise to the occasion Saturday and make it go bonkers. And then when the game is over, they'll all high-five each other and then go right back to sucking 95% of the time. Nothing will change.

a) Not the first time he has done this. It's all a tactic to get them loud, and it works
b) Coaches challenge their fans all the time. Heck Jeff Capel challenged the fans last year to come to the last few games and it worked.
c) When have we ever had the need to get so loud that we make the stadium rock? Everytime we have needed to be loud for a game or a play we have. We're not those fricking aggies up north who think that every game and every play is so precious cause they don't have anything better to do.
d) So what if they get loud on Saturday and don't do it till the next big game. A lot of teams don't break the beams at their stadium every home game.

Crimsontothecore
11/19/2008, 12:07 AM
I think turn-about is fair play. God knows how the fans constantly criticize the coaches. It's about time Bob did a little bitc**** about the fans.

Having said that, now that I realize how important my lungs are to the teams success, I hope Bob throws a little bit of that salary my way if we win.

bri
11/19/2008, 12:10 AM
a) Not the first time he has done this. It's all a tactic to get them loud, and it works
b) Coaches challenge their fans all the time. Heck Jeff Capel challenged the fans last year to come to the last few games and it worked.
c) When have we ever had the need to get so loud that we make the stadium rock? Everytime we have needed to be loud for a game or a play we have. We're not those fricking aggies up north who think that every game and every play is so precious cause they don't have anything better to do.
d) So what if they get loud on Saturday and don't do it till the next big game. A lot of teams don't break the beams at their stadium every home game.

That was an awful lot of typing to just say "Bob is right, our fans are inconsistent at best".

retnuH03
11/19/2008, 12:25 AM
during a good game, College Station has the loudest crowd in the big 12.

Soonerus
11/19/2008, 12:33 AM
OU's fans are mature...

sooner59
11/19/2008, 12:45 AM
I was at College Station when we played there on Nov. 8. It may be true that their team is down this year, but our stadium is definitely louder than theirs right now. I was in the aggy student section and you could easily talk to your neighbor. It was never that loud. Kyle Field < Owen Field in 2008.

Fraggle145
11/19/2008, 01:28 AM

Sorry bud, I cherish every moment and every play is precious.

Ya and those teams fans suck too. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

MamaMia
11/19/2008, 01:29 AM
I do my part even though I'm way up in the club and don't even know if I can be heard. I do believe that the people who are in charge of the lighted monitors that circle stadium are falling down on the job. It wouldn't hurt the cheerleaders to hold up the appropriate signs more often as well.

westcoast_sooner
11/19/2008, 01:41 AM
What's wrong with Coach Stoops getting all the help he can from the fans? We need to be loud when the opposition has the ball. Think about the way that the Tech fans were yelling and screaming through two big games in the last several weeks. Get Harrell flustered with crowd noise. Keep them from hearing the QB. Get them to jump offsides - a couple of false starts would be great.

Point is, crowd noise can do nothing but help our guys. It will inspire their play. And getting that kind of inspired play can be the difference to get the style point victory we need to convince voters in the rankings.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2008, 02:12 AM
I think turn-about is fair play. God knows how the fans constantly criticize the coaches. It's about time Bob did a little bitc**** about the fans.

Wow, I guess Venables is due for a major fan ***-chewing rant!

And I'm all for it if it gets people making as much noise at the game as before the game!

SteelClip49
11/19/2008, 09:31 AM
OU fans who complain about people standing up and cheering and getting loud are nothing but a bunch of Flying Dickwheels. I will be in section 226 or whatever and I will be yelling my azz off.

So=called Thunder fans do the same. They rather sit and only cheer when told too. If you ask me, there are a bunch of pansies that go to sporting events here in this state. Show your true colors and be mother effin proud.

Taxman71
11/19/2008, 09:58 AM
Eh?

I'm 57, never an athlete...bet I can outwalk most any of the young studs on this board any day.

Dang, people are taking this topic so seriously that all sarcasm is going over everyone's head[including 53 year old yellers/donors/alums]

But seriously, if anyone wants to sit quietly (regardless of age), has the right to do so. Just don't complain to those who do. I think luxury suites and home TVs were invented for these people.

That being said, Stoops is trying to rally the fans, but it is not necessary. OU fans are intelligent as to football (student section notwithstanding) and always bring it in the big games.

TexasLidig8r
11/19/2008, 10:00 AM
It wouldn't hurt the cheerleaders to hold up the appropriate signs more often as well.

Fallacious argument that presupposes most OU fans can read. ;)

Sorry Mama...

BoulderSooner79
11/19/2008, 10:19 AM
Fallacious argument that presupposes most OU fans can read. ;)

Sorry Mama...

Would someone tell me what he just said so I can get mad ?
:mad: :mad:

The_Red_Patriot
11/19/2008, 10:29 AM
Stoops is right! The crowd in Norman is lame including the student section.

Don't get all Pissy....We can't even carry a tune to most SEC stadiums.

Maybe it will be different this saturday since Stoops called us out.

w0lfe
11/19/2008, 10:46 AM
Kinda funny, I dunno if anyone else caught it but on the morning animal this morning, Pork was talking about security at the games. He was in the upper deck and was standing up and the fans behind him began complaining and went and got security and they told him to sit down or leave. So he left.

hellogoodbye
11/19/2008, 10:50 AM
As a fan, I feel honored to experience the Stoops reverse psychology technique. Pretty cool, if you ask me. Subtle, in a wink wink kind of way.

Makes you realize the man has some craft.

Will he go away, or does he now stay in my head forever?

MamaMia
11/19/2008, 11:27 AM

If you are over 55, you can apply for an exemption by walking for 45 continuous minutes in the Sooner Fashion Mall while singing Oklahoma next to the water fountain.If I could neg you twice for this, I would. :)

meoveryouxinfinity
11/19/2008, 11:28 AM
Crossroads is where it's at for mall walkers.

and Northpark in OKC

IB4OU2
11/19/2008, 11:31 AM
Chime Up! Hillbillies! :D

soonerborn45
11/19/2008, 11:48 AM
That was an awful lot of typing to just say "Bob is right, our fans are inconsistent at best".

Yeah it was a lot, my fingers hurt, but I should of just said he is right but when OU jumps up by 3 touchdowns in the first quarter and they go vanilla the rest of the game its just really hard to stay psyched.

soonerborn45
11/19/2008, 11:50 AM
Sorry bud, I cherish every moment and every play is precious.

Ya and those teams fans suck too. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

So what your telling me Mr. Fraggle is that when OU is up 65 to 13 your up on your feet screaming and hollering to where your voice is hoarse?

Taxman71
11/19/2008, 12:10 PM
If I could neg you twice for this, I would. :)

Age is only a state of mind Mama.....there is an 80-something year old on the row below me that could put the loudest, drunkest guy in the student section to shame when it comes to standing, cheering, etc.

Upon reflection, 75 is probably more like it....55 is the new 30 thanks to Pfizer.

Collier11
11/19/2008, 12:13 PM
So what your telling me Mr. Fraggle is that when OU is up 65 to 13 your up on your feet screaming and hollering to where your voice is hoarse?

Thats the problem right there, some of you dont understand that is what you are supposed to do as a fan. Cheer when the other team is in the huddle, cheer when we are up 40 or down 10, cheer when we get a big stop or break a big offensive play, cheer all the mutha F'n Time!!!!!!!

soonerborn45
11/19/2008, 12:39 PM
Thats the problem right there, some of you dont understand that is what you are supposed to do as a fan. Cheer when the other team is in the huddle, cheer when we are up 40 or down 10, cheer when we get a big stop or break a big offensive play, cheer all the mutha F'n Time!!!!!!!

Hey last time I checked when OU was up by 50 on Nebraska they still cheered. Now everybody is splitting hairs on how loud the fans get when OU is up by half a hundred on a team. Look at every team around the country. Yes their fans may get louder but there is no coach in college football today that has a better home record than Stoops. If the fans don't tip the richter scales during a game, its no big deal. Why? Because Oklahoma Memorial Stadium is still one of the biggest home field advantages in the country. I'm not saying people shouldn't stand up and bring the building down on saturday, I'm all for that, what I am saying is that we need to accept the fact that we are not a loud rowdy crowd but still are a deadly place to play. However, when Stoops challenges us to get loud and noisy and give Mike Leach headaches than we should accept the challenge. The stadium can get loud and rowdy for big games, but when was the last time there was a game of this magnitude in norman?

Sooner Stew
11/19/2008, 05:20 PM
for one last years OU/Mizz was right up there with this game but for sure in 2000 when Nebraska came to town...that was a HUGE game!

budbarrybob
11/19/2008, 06:38 PM
Chime Up! F'N Hillbillies! :D

fixed.

josh09
11/19/2008, 06:46 PM

We DO tend to sit on our hands sometimes....but i dont think that will happen this game. I think it will be loud, at least most of the game.

Lott's Bandana
11/19/2008, 07:25 PM
Would someone tell me what he just said so I can get mad ?
:mad: :mad:

Now that's damn funny right up in there...

anti-orange lawyer spek :P

Sooner_Havok
11/19/2008, 08:30 PM
I do my part even though I'm way up in the club and don't even know if I can be heard. I do believe that the people who are in charge of the lighted monitors that circle stadium are falling down on the job. It wouldn't hurt the cheerleaders to hold up the appropriate signs more often as well.

They tried that one year. They held up the letters spelling Oklahoma, and the students were silent until they got to H-O. At that point we all yelled HO!

They begged us to be nice and do it once, so we did. Once. After that, back to yelling HO! and spewing expletives at the opposing team, their players, and their fans.

On a side note, any fan of a visiting team stupid enough to buy tickets in the student section get what they have coming. In the rest of the stadium, expect some good natured ribbing, in the student section, don't expect your kids not to learn a few "new" words :D

OU-HSV
11/19/2008, 08:32 PM

IN!
(except I'm not a bastard) :D

jwlynn64
11/20/2008, 01:03 AM
Going to the game to cheer on your team is not the same as taking a job to stand and cheer all game long.

I yell when our defense is on the field and stay quiet when the offense is at work but I don't feel obligated to do it and I don't feel bitter if other people do not.

You can cheer any way you want but don't feel superior to fans who don't do the same.

soonerfan28
11/20/2008, 02:38 PM
I've read very few of the comments posted but I would say that fans can either put up or shut up. Bob called the fans out and we can either show up and get loud or whine about it. As I said on here I haven't read but a few but listening to sports radio people are bitching about the comments and complaining that Bobs taking all of the credit for the 59 wins. I say show up and get loud and lets beat em by 50.