PDA

View Full Version : College football late season "Game of the Year!"

The Maestro
11/17/2008, 04:34 PM
Well, like many, I have been a long standing college football fan. I am a lifelong, diehard Sooner, but I love the sport as well.

Having said that, how many times have we seen these potential "GAME OF THE YEAR!" candidates turn into one-sided blowouts?

While I think TT has a lot of talent, this is unchartered territory for them...completely unchartered.

They beat Texas at home this year. Done that. They have beaten us at home before. But a key road game in Austin or Norman? If history is going to repeat itself, be prepared for a blowout.

I can imagine with Stoops experience, his fire, his coaching staff and what they have seen, this team is going to be playing with great intensity Saturday night. I mean, right out of the gate kind of intensity. Both sides of the ball, too. And our team has experience in this kind of game. I see us playing like we did in the Big 12 title game last year...very complete on both sides of the ball, and we haven't really seen that combined all year.

On the other side, you have Mike Leach getting his team ready. Great coach, but very laid back and an X's and O's guy. I cannot imagine he gets his team too fired up, just really prepared.

This game is very much going to come down to the mental side of it and I just believe OU has a massive edge there. I think we need a big, impressive win, and I just kind of see it going down that way. I could be dead wrong--that's the beauty of pregame hype. But, I just gotta feeling...hope it's not gas...that we are gonna hammer these guys. Tech has never beaten Texas and OU in the same season. Their last big win on the road was...???.

Saturday night is our way of letting them know what being a championship team is all about.

OUHOMER
11/17/2008, 05:30 PM
I do hope your right, we are going to need some style points to jump texas, Plus a blow out will get into the heads of the cowboys.

The Maestro
11/17/2008, 05:32 PM
a blow out will get into the heads of the cowboys.

Heck, a few sheep and a fence they are trying to get over would also work!

MojoRisen
11/17/2008, 06:03 PM
I think it was 2006 we were down 24-10 before Thompson hit a bomb just before half.. I think we went on too win 35-24 - shut them out in the second half.

I would love for us to come out and look like a National Caliber Team that can hang with Florida and spank these guys early and often.. but I am pretty sure it is going to be a close game.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/17/2008, 07:00 PM
I think OU will be ready, Sam is a great leader and has the tast of another Big 12 Title in his mouth IMO! BUT I think that the D was too JUICED when they played UT, that lead to all the flags IMO! Hope that's not the case Saturday, with that being said I think OU wins by 17!!

BOOMER

JLEW1818
11/17/2008, 07:01 PM
wow it's only Monday, can't take this much longer.:(

8timechamps
11/17/2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah, but is this the biggest game of Stoops' tenure? ;)

MichiganSooner
11/17/2008, 08:16 PM
Was it in 2002 when Kingsbury came in here and we buried them? That's what I am waiting for; the db's and lb's knocking down passes all over the place. A Graham Harrell sack for a safety; another sack causing a fumble in the endzone going for a TD for us. Our D needs to step it up big time. Prove our boys came to OU to win championships.

bluedogok
11/17/2008, 10:01 PM
There HAS to be a GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!! every week or else the talking heads won't know who to pump.....last weekend they almost sounded like their dog had died because they didn't have anything bigger than Florida-South Carolina.

BoomerSooner247
11/17/2008, 10:13 PM
I think it was 2006 we were down 24-10 before Thompson hit a bomb just before half.. I think we went on too win 35-24 - shut them out in the second half.True story... I was at that game. :D

OKC-SLC
11/17/2008, 10:41 PM
Well, like many...being a championship team is all about.

I agree with your post entirely. I had a similar feeling last year before the CCG against Mizzou.

I think we're gonna beat these guys comfortably. No one blows TT out because they score so much, but I think we're gonna have one of those games where the final score doesn't quite reflect how out of doubt the game really was all along.

The crowd is gonna be ridiculous. Perhaps only recently matched in noise by the NU game in 2000.

PalmBeachSooner1
11/18/2008, 05:29 PM
OU -7. Vegas is seldom too far off.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/18/2008, 09:06 PM
Nebraska took these guys into overtime. In Lubbock.

What did we do against the Huskers? It was over by the 1st quarter.

Way-below-mediocre Texas A&M hangs with them in the 2nd half. We also win that game before the first quarter clock expires. At vaunted Kyle Field no less.

Anyone still think Tech can come into Norman and win? I rest my case.

OKC-SLC
11/18/2008, 10:12 PM
Nebraska took these guys into overtime. In Lubbock.

What did we do against the Huskers? It was over by the 1st quarter.

Way-below-mediocre Texas A&M hangs with them in the 2nd half. We also win that game before the first quarter clock expires. At vaunted Kyle Field no less.

Anyone still think Tech can come into Norman and win? I rest my case.

i had forgotten how sandaggy had struggled early with aggy.

bluedogok
11/18/2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah well, we couldn't beat UT but Tech did......"comparing" games is worthless as things are different every week. If you looked at all that comparing there is no way we lose to Colorado last season, but it happened.