PDA

View Full Version : President-Elect Barack Obama endorses playoff...

d.stOUgh
11/16/2008, 11:44 PM
I was watching 60 Minutes tonight and was pleasantly surprised to hear that President-Elect Obama endorses an eight team play-off for D1 football!

What are your views on this? Does the President of the United States have enough 'pull' to get this going?

Every division except D1 has a playoff.

Your thoughts?

Curly Bill
11/16/2008, 11:46 PM
He has about as much pull to get this going as you or I do.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 11:46 PM
here we go.....

Curly Bill
11/16/2008, 11:47 PM
...and I could give a rats *** that every other division has a playoff. :D

Curly Bill
11/16/2008, 11:48 PM
here we go.....

;)

ouwasp
11/16/2008, 11:49 PM
Too bad he can't do an Executive Order regarding playoffs until Jan. 20

Surely he can learn from the Romans; when the outlook for the country is sour, distract the folks with bread and circuses!

OU-HSV
11/16/2008, 11:54 PM
This is old news. He stated this a couple of weeks ago and the BCS says "thanks but you have no pull with us Mr. Obama"

47straight
11/16/2008, 11:58 PM
This thread sucks even worse than the first time out.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 11:59 PM
hahahaha ya

Leroy Lizard
11/17/2008, 12:59 AM
Getting politicians involved in sports is not a good thing.

Sooner_Havok
11/17/2008, 01:05 AM
buried for being old

;)

badger
11/17/2008, 05:21 AM
Please don't start any future threads on this after this one gets locked (it is inevitable). Politics and football should not be mixed :(

SoonerShark
11/17/2008, 11:04 AM
Please don't start any future threads on this after this one gets locked (it is inevitable). Politics and football should not be mixed :(

If politics was not intermixed in a slightly non-governmental fashion then UT would not have nipped 9-3 Michigan by one point in the January 2005 Rose Bowl. Remember Mack's fine "whine" that got UT to the promised land? The Holiday Bowl was UT's annual bowl game until then. It worked out for UT, TTech and the Big XII. UT beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Tech beat California in the Holiday Bowl, which was Tech's biggest bowl win. Texas finally made it to a BCS bowl this century thanks to Mack being on his knees. Shades of Monica!

swardboy
11/17/2008, 11:06 AM
The election's over Barry....

1890MilesToNorman
11/17/2008, 11:11 AM
Do we go with the caucus rules or primary rules? Super delegates get unlimited box seats?

Campaign buttons for everyone!

jwlynn64
11/17/2008, 11:12 AM
I'm all for a playoff that is fair to the teams involved and to the fans (boosters). Home games for higher (subjectively) ranked teams are unfair to the teams and fans of the away teams.

Trying to have them at neutral sites is unfair to all teams (unlimited funds of fans to attend multiple away bowl games).

Someone come up with a good system and everyone would agree to it.

BTW... and people thought that Bush had abuse of power issues! Geeesh.

noobalicious
11/17/2008, 11:16 AM
Meh, I've been a big supporter of a playoff, but this week it's kind of sunk in that this is basically our bowl game unless we go to Miami. Heck, you could probably throw the game against oSUx in there too. If we don't make it to the national championship game, we'll probably be up against a mediocre non-BCS school in the Fiesta, against an overrated SEC team in the Cotton (LSU, Georgia), or against a vastly inferior Pac 10 team in the Holiday (depending on how the last 2 weeks go).

Basically I'll just be enjoying these last two weeks as if they were a playoff, and the idiotic BCS system can put the chips where it wants to.

phislammajamma
11/17/2008, 11:25 AM
BTW... and people thought that Bush had abuse of power issues! Geeesh.

don't see how this is any different from the congressional inquiry into steroids and baseball.

badger
11/17/2008, 11:28 AM
If politics was not intermixed in a slightly non-governmental fashion then UT would not have nipped 9-3 Michigan by one point in the January 2005 Rose Bowl. Remember Mack's fine "whine" that got UT to the promised land? The Holiday Bowl was UT's annual bowl game until then. It worked out for UT, TTech and the Big XII. UT beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl. Tech beat California in the Holiday Bowl, which was Tech's biggest bowl win. Texas finally made it to a BCS bowl this century thanks to Mack being on his knees. Shades of Monica!

How bout this, then?

PLEASE DON'T START ANYMORE THREADS ON THIS TOPIC... notbecausepoliticsandfootballshouldnotbemixedorwha tever... because there's already been numerous threads on this and they've ALL BEEN LOCKED!

Dan Thompson
11/17/2008, 11:37 AM
IHO, its all about the money and the TV rights to the bowl games is where the money is.

SoonerLB
11/17/2008, 11:50 AM
The man said he was about 'Change', and the BCS ain't cuttin' it, so let's change it! I could care less about the 'good ol' boys and their bowl games', but there will still be room for non-playoff teams to play some post-season bowl games. Heck, those losers from the big 10 could even have a conference championship game then. ;)

All in fun y'all, except for the 'hate the BCS' part, and I really do think the BCS sucks!

stoopified
11/17/2008, 12:06 PM
What else is new ?The man got elected by saying he likes things that are popular but that he can't do anything about.

IronHorseSooner
11/17/2008, 12:27 PM
I agree with the idea of a playoff for all of the things that others have stated. It is well known that the new President-Elect is a huge sports fan. His brother-in-law is the Head Men's BBALL Coach at Oregon State. I think that some of this is his personal nature as a sports fan, like all of us here, but some of this play could also be political (surprise, he is a politician). The areas where teams are involved in this discussion are primarily red (Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Utah, Idaho) or swing states (Florida, Pennsylvania). I don't know if that is a coincidence, but I found it interesting.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/17/2008, 01:29 PM
I thought he was pretty tounge-in-cheek, talking about this on 60 Minutes. I doubt the man has time to worry much about the BCS right now.

jwlynn64
11/17/2008, 02:03 PM
don't see how this is any different from the congressional inquiry into steroids and baseball.

I don't guess I've heard of President Elect Congress.

Oh... and to answer your question about how it is different, MLB enjoys an exemption from anti-monopoly laws so that makes it congress' concern and I guess that does make the two subjects quite a bit different.

humblesooner
11/17/2008, 04:22 PM
I think I'd rather Obama would focus more on the economy, the war in Iraq, foreign policy, healthcare, unemployment, recession, Al Qaida, Bin-Laden, etc than about how the BCS crowns a football champion.

He wants to watch a game or two? I'm good with that on his day off.
When he's working, this one needs to be off the bottom of the page.

ashley
11/17/2008, 04:28 PM
I would like the results but I don't think the President should be involved. My guess is that he will be in a lot of things that he shouldn't.

phislammajamma
11/17/2008, 05:48 PM
Oh... and to answer your question about how it is different, MLB enjoys an exemption from anti-monopoly laws so that makes it congress' concern and I guess that does make the two subjects quite a bit different.

what does the anti-monopoly exemption have to do with whether players are taking steroids? imo, the government has better things to do than look into steroids and baseball. but since they did, i don't have a problem with them addressing playoffs in college football as well.

jwlynn64
11/17/2008, 06:01 PM
When they wrote the exemption for MLB, the government took on the role of making sure the game remained fair and clean.

When they saw that Baseball was slow in policing it's own players, it had no choice but to examine the state of the game to determine if the exemption needed to be revoked.

Besides, why on earth would you want the one organization that is worse than the NCAA trying to decide upon a football playoff!?

You need to get on your hands and knees and ask God what it is going to take for you to get forgiveness for your sinful thoughts!

StoopTroup
11/17/2008, 06:05 PM
You naysayers fail to understand the power of the force.

Pres. Elect Obama will get this done...even if he needs to delegate it.

Obama Delegation Technique (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2267486&postcount=39)