PDA

View Full Version : Is TT realy that good?

Dan Thompson
11/16/2008, 06:19 PM
I was reading about TT's other 'impressive' win, besides UT and OSU, was over Nevada (5-4) as compaired to our wins over TCU (9-2)and Cinn (7-2).

I was wondering if OSU is not that good and TT just got sky high for the UT game, how good is TT?

Curly Bill
11/16/2008, 06:20 PM
I think they're pretty darn good. FWIW

Not as good as OU mind you. ;)

soonerbrat
11/16/2008, 06:21 PM
yes, they are that good. Sooner fans should be prepared for a letdown.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 06:25 PM
I think they are really really due for a bad game.

Anybody watch the TT Missouri game last year? I'm sure Stoops has watched that film.

kevpks
11/16/2008, 06:39 PM
Get them off of that painted concrete in Lubbock and they are just another team. Just ask Nebraska who took them to OT.

yermom
11/16/2008, 06:45 PM
they are really that good if they beat us ;)

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2008, 06:49 PM
Actually, Nebraska took them to OT in Lubbock. NU outgained them in 1st downs, total yards *and* passing yards. I hope out coaches put themselves to sleep with that video running :)

kevpks
11/16/2008, 06:53 PM
Actually, Nebraska took them to OT in Lubbock. NU outgained them in 1st downs, total yards *and* passing yards. I hope out coaches put themselves to sleep with that video running :)

Wow, I just assumed that game was in Lincoln based on the result. It is as if Tech's first game was against Texas in the media's eyes. No one talks about the Nebraska game or Tech's horrible non-conference slate.

Okie35
11/16/2008, 07:02 PM

if we run the ball well ... it will be game set match... what texas and tech failed to do was run the ball at em... they tried to throw wayyy too much... they drop both safeties so run the ball down their throats... then when they load the box burn them for a pass...

SoonerJack
11/16/2008, 07:04 PM
yes, we must run successfully and score a lot. oh, and get some turnovers.

goodolesooner
11/16/2008, 07:04 PM
They are a dangerous team.

I think we will win handily, but that is because I trust that Stoops and co. are salivating at the possibilities.

I'm kinda reminded of the OU vs Mizzou CCG last year. I knew we were good enough to stomp them, but they had the same kinda hype, and the game was HUGE.

Tech will die.

Iam4OUru
11/16/2008, 07:08 PM
I'm pretty sure the crowd in Lubbock had alot to do with their intensity in those two games. Let's see how they do without that crowd.

To answer your question....yes, Tech is damn good.

Okie35
11/16/2008, 07:08 PM
They are a dangerous team.

I think we will win handily, but that is because I trust that Stoops and co. are salivating at the possibilities.

I'm kinda reminded of the OU vs Mizzou CCG last year. I knew we were good enough to stomp them, but they had the same kinda hype, and the game was HUGE.

Tech will die.

yup that game and earlier when they were in norman...

StormySooner-IN
11/16/2008, 07:11 PM
Yes, I think they are good.

Yes, I think they are THAT good.

Yes, I think they could easily beat us.

No, Im not giving up...

pappy
11/16/2008, 07:12 PM
yeah they're for real...you forget that they went on the road and destroyed the then ranked 19 team kansas 63-21 and a lot of the reason kansas is no longer ranked is b/c they had to face 3 of the best if not the 3 best schools in the country this year in OU, texas and texas tech. yeah tech is for real but its near impossible to win in norman...I think its gonna be a high scoring game and ou will be able to run the ball and final score 59 - 45.

pappy
11/16/2008, 07:13 PM
my bad I left out that ou wins it 59 - 45

BoulderSooner79
11/16/2008, 07:33 PM
In that NU/TT game NU ran 70 plays to TT's 48, so it was a keep Harrell off the field strategy. And no, it wasn't from running the ball - NU had 45 pass attempts to TT's 25. So it doesn't matter how you keep them off the field - just gotta move the sticks. NU should have won that game, but they did a couple of stupid things at critical times.

AzianSooner
11/16/2008, 07:53 PM
TT is really that good. Even with both wins at home, they show how good they are.

NOw, we will see how good OU be this coming saturday agains TT, a great team this year.

OU_Sooners75
11/16/2008, 08:03 PM
Yes Texas Tech is a very good team....They beat Texas, after we lost to them...

My top 5 keys to winning this game:

1. Bump WRs off the line. Get in their face and disrupt the timing of the offense. Tech's offense strives off of timing plays. Disrupt that, you disrupt their game flow.
2. Tackling. If we can limit Texas Tech's YAC then we will be in good shape at a victory.
3. Run game. If we can gain 150-200 yards of rushing, while limiting them to less than 100 yards, we will have a chance at a big time win.
4. Create Turnovers. We must continue to create turnovers.
5. Special Teams. Yes they held kicker tryouts mid season, but we if we give them the momentum on kickoffs returns, then this will be a nailbiter. We must control the tempo coming off of special teams.

PalmBeachSooner
11/16/2008, 08:09 PM
if we run the ball well ... it will be game set match... what texas and tech failed to do was run the ball at em... they tried to throw wayyy too much... they drop both safeties so run the ball down their throats... then when they load the box burn them for a pass...

When you fall behind (19-0) or whatever it was, against Tech it's hard to be patient and run the ball. Any three and outs and you could be down by a lot more.

If OU can get off to a fast start like they have in the first quarter, then the run will definitely be there.

OU_Sooners75
11/16/2008, 08:13 PM
When you fall behind (19-0) or whatever it was, against Tech it's hard to be patient and run the ball. Any three and outs and you could be down by a lot more.

If OU can get off to a fast start like they have in the first quarter, then the run will definitely be there.

Tech's defense is more suspect than ours. OU has the #1 Big 12 defense. Yes it may be down compared to years pasts, but it is still a decent defense.

If OU jumps up early, we must continue to play our game and not change it up. We must score fast and often. If we can gain a 28+ point lead late in the game (7 minutes or less left) then we can let off the gas...Until then...we better run the damn score up if given the opportunity.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 08:19 PM
Graham Harrell Road Stats

Nevada
19-46, 297 passing yards, 1 td, 2 picks

Kansas State
38-51, 454 yards, 6td, 0 picks

Texas A&M
44-56, 450 yards, 3td, 2 picks

Kansas
34-42, 386 yards, 5td, 0 picks

zero picks in last 3 total games.

OU_Sooners75
11/16/2008, 08:20 PM
Graham Harrell Road Stats

Nevada
19-46, 297 passing yards, 1 td, 2 picks

Kansas State
38-51, 454 yards, 6td, 0 picks

Texas A&M
44-56, 450 yards, 3td, 2 picks

Kansas
34-42, 386 yards, 5td, 0 picks

zero picks in last 3 total games.

No road games against top 25 opponents.

Yeah, I like our chances.

JLEW1818
11/16/2008, 08:29 PM
yep, a couple picks and it could be over

Iam4OUru
11/16/2008, 08:59 PM
If OU jumps up early, we must continue to play our game and not change it up. We must score fast and often. If we can gain a 28+ point lead late in the game (7 minutes or less left) then we can let off the gas...Until then...we better run the damn score up if given the opportunity.

Absolutely! We've scored a total of 41 points this season in the 4th quarter. If we can get 41 Saturday in the 4th...I'll be happy.

SoonerFanInAustin
11/16/2008, 09:27 PM
No doubt we will score against Tech.

I just hope the defense shows up and slows them down. I agree with what was said earlier and that is to keep the ball away from them. Just to prevent the snaps. But Bob's philosphy is to get as many snaps as possible.

Tech is good team, not a great team. They caught Texas at a perfect time. Texas had just played 3 top teams, then had to go on the road. Tech hadn't played anyone up to that point. Of course they were going to get pumped for that game. Then they get OSU the next week. Just my opinion, but OSU is not that good. They have a very balanced offense, but their D is not that good. OSU has a good record, but honestly, besides the Mizzu win, they have not beaten anyone worth a crap. If they would have played Texas right after us, there is no way they would have beat Texas.

mojohornfan
11/16/2008, 09:29 PM
They're not that good. We played like crap and still should've won if Gideon would've caught the FLOATER that fell into his hands...in Lubbock no less. Us horn fans will be pulling for ya.

BOOOOMERRR!!! (oh that was disgusting....):D

ELP Sooner
11/16/2008, 09:40 PM
Who have we beat to inspire all this chest thumping? Tech to this point has done more than we have. To pretend otherwise is flat stupid. What is our big win? What makes you think we belong with the big boys? Getting our asses handed to us in the 4th quarter against Utee didnt do anything for me. Killing doorstops like Kansas KSU and Nebbish are nothing to brag about. Going down to Collie Station and murdering a hapless aTm doesnt impress either. At least USC murdered a NAME in OSU. I am sorry I am not going to cry a river about how we got screwed in the rankings and blah blah blah. In the 2nd half against Texas we need a stop or 2...got none. Needed the run the ball...couldn't. Needed to stop the run and failed. Killing outmatched opponents doesnt really inspire any confidence in me. If OU can win the last 2... I will be impressed because I truly do not think this team is special...mind you special in OKLAHOMA football terms. This is a good team...not great...and they are soft. Time to face reality and look to fix what is wrong rather than crying about media bias..poll bias and other such nonsense.

o0Dan0o
11/17/2008, 12:02 AM
Tech is a really good team, but still not quite a great team. I Think we'll beat them by a few TD's, mostly due to the 1-3 turnovers I believe we'll get. OSU is also a good team, but I think we'll win handily in that one as well.

I would argue that we were a good, but not great, team last year, but we would have won the NC if we played tOSU. We are better than last year, and I believe we will win these next two games.
Dan

BoulderSooner79
11/17/2008, 12:19 AM
I don't see all chest thumping; seems to be a consensus that TT is really that good and yes, they have accomplished more than OU at this point. OU has the opportunity to match that. I think this years OU team is really good and the offense special, but not a great team. Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any great teams out there this year. Florida looks like it might be over the last 6 games, but we'll see. The thing that disappointed me most about the UT game was that the *offense* didn't step up when things got tough. Sure the defense struggled mightily after RR went down, but this teams strength, leadership and dominance are on offense. When RR left, we had a 28-20 lead and I would have liked to see the offense step up refuse to lose. Trade scores and we still win. As well as KW has schemed this year, I think he tightened up and got very conservative and didn't trust his team to make the play with the game on the line. To win the next 3 and possibly 4 games, I'm sure we will face this challenge again.

TJKDone
11/17/2008, 12:37 AM
While Tech was definitely the best team on the day that they played us, that was the worst we played all season. Our OL, the best in the Big 12 and definitely the deepest, played very inconsistently against an average D. We made their D look a lot better than it is with all the dropped passes on top of the sub-par line play.

As crappy as we played we were ahead with 1:30 left and dropped an easy int on their last drive. We didn't deserve to win with our lackluster play but very well could have.

OU wins, hopefully a real close game, but I'm not sure you won't blow them out. I've never been real impressed with Harrell's moxy even when he was winning state championships at Ennis High under his dad.

Hook'em

noobalicious
11/17/2008, 01:14 AM
I dont think it matters honestly. The factors for this game are as follows:

1. Stoops' record in Norman is ridiculous. We've lost two games that we were pretty much expecting to win. We've taken care of many ranked opponents, some of them ranked quite high. Remember Mizzou last year and how their offense was going to shred our hapless D?

2. OU's defense is underrated. We create a lot of turnovers. I'd say about half the points we give up are on kick/punt returns that go for a TD or at least past the 50. When our defense works with a fairly long field they do well. Say what you will, there's a lot of talent there.

3. Big Game Bob is going to be back. After a couple of humiliating defeats in bowl games, after losing a HUGE showdown with texas early on this year, and after the crushing late season loss in Lubbock last year, Bob is going to take his title back. We haven't been taken too seriously in major matchups ever since the 03/04 MNCs. ESPECIALLY since Boise St. This is where we get back our mojo.

4. The place will be rockin. I know of a few students who are planning to camp out outside the stadium starting on friday. The intensity will be electric. The players will feed off that.

5. Revenge. TT ended our hopes last year on their turf. Time for us to end theirs. Wouldn't be surprised to see some vicious shots aimed at Mr. Harrell after the concussion to Bradford last year either.

I see all of those elements coming together. Throw away the paper, the stats, the sour memories of big games over the past 5 years. We're going to be hungry, and we're going to show the country that OU is back. Nuff said...

aurorasooner
11/17/2008, 02:30 AM
I've watched Tech 4 times this year aTm, KU, Texas, and OSU, and I think Greg Davis called it about right in the USA Today.
On offense if our RBs are continually running into a brick wall and our OL isn't getting a decent forward push then we're going to be one-dimensional with Sam. If on defense the Tech receivers are catching their passes and we're dragging them down from behind and not hitting them in the mouth then we're going to be in trouble. Our OL, Defense, and especially our KO team need to hit the field with a bad-azz attitude in the next 2 games and not go wimp if we get a 14 point lead because anything under a 4 TD lead and probably a 5 TD lead just flat "ain't" safe this Saturday.
Both use predominantly zone coverages, with the Sooners blitzing a bit more. "When you turn Oklahoma on you see speed, speed," says Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis, whose Longhorns beat the Sooners and lost to the Red Raiders. "When you turn Tech on you see physical, physical. You have to be careful. It doesn't mean Tech can't run and Oklahoma's not physical, that's just what jumps off at you right off the bat."

MI Sooner
11/17/2008, 12:46 PM
When RR left, we had a 28-20 lead and I would have liked to see the offense step up refuse to lose. Trade scores and we still win. As well as KW has schemed this year, I think he tightened up and got very conservative and didn't trust his team to make the play with the game on the line. To win the next 3 and possibly 4 games, I'm sure we will face this challenge again.

I agree with this whole-heartedly. We DON'T need to run the ball just to prove a point. We need to run it if it's there. We DO need to score a touchdown every time we get the ball in the red zone.

One think I'll be interested to see is what our playcalling looks like when we're between TTU's 30-40 yardline. Teams with bad kicking games need to be cognizant of the fact that this should be four down territory. That means you have four plays to get ten yards, not three, and you should plan accordingly. We can't throw an incomplete pass on 3rd and 12 from the 37 and then realize, "Crap we're punting" when a four yard gain would've given us the opportunity to go for it.

I also hope our coaches take stock of the game very early and realize whether it's going to be a case where we can't stop them. If so, we can't punt, can't kick field goals, and need to play agressively on defense in an attempt to get a turnover. I don't care if we five up 550 and 40 points if we get two turnovers and don't give up big plays on special teams.

8timechamps
11/17/2008, 12:56 PM
Tech is a good team. I doubt they are #2 in the country good, but good to be sure.

Tech's weakness is their running game. They rank 73rd out of 119 FBS teams (we rank 24 of 119). Their strength, of course, is their passing game. They rank #1 in the country (we rank 3 of 119). There's little doubt that they are one dimensional. Unfortunately, that one dimension is very, very strong.

Since the game hasn't been played, we can only compare common opponents. Sure, they beat Texas. But, it was at home, and it took everything they had to pull out a last second win. We led Texas for the better part of the game in Dallas. RR went down, and like any good team would do, they exploited our weakness. Don't get me wrong, we lost and Tech won, but I don't think you can compare how they did against Texas with how we did.

I think it's going to be a shootout, 49-42 Sooners. The difference is going to be the running game, and there is no doubt we have the advantage there.

A Horn
11/17/2008, 02:11 PM
The difference is going to be the running game, and there is no doubt we have the advantage there.

At home, this should be a massive advantage. Clock control is often the key to winning shootouts.

Sherpa
11/17/2008, 04:16 PM
Tech's not that good. We'll handle them easily.

JLEW1818
11/17/2008, 04:24 PM
Gotta make sure they don't catch us off guard on draw plays.

Desert Sapper
11/17/2008, 05:46 PM
I think we'll be able to tell what kind of game it will be from the first exchange. If we ram it down their throats on the first drive and score a TD, then hold them on their first drive to a three and out or FG, we will kick their ***. If we score quickly on the first drive and they reciprocate TD for TD, it could be a long shootout game. If we score on a long drive, mostly running, and they reciprocate with a quick TD, we will take over in the 4th quarter when their D is worn. So the answer is we take away their advantage by running the ball down their throats, eating up clock, bumping their WRs to throw off timing, and TAKING the game. If we let them dictate the pace, they have a chance.

The Maestro
11/17/2008, 05:52 PM
It's kind of ironic. I don't know many people who think the top two teams in the country on Nov. 17th are the best two teams. Either one of them.

They will both get their chances to prove me wrong, but the timing of their schedules has worked out nicely for Bama and TT.

BoulderSooner79
11/17/2008, 07:03 PM
It's a weird year as no team seems solid across the board. I think that is why ESPN is drooling over UF because they appear to be strong on offense, defense and special teams right now. But their best victories are over teams that have become suspect (LSU, UGA). Bama's offensive stats are average and all the big12 powers have pedestrian stats on D. USC is very inconsistent on offense. Hard to pick any 2 teams and call them "the best" on any week.

SOONER STEAKER
11/17/2008, 07:35 PM
I'm not really scared of TT, I think we'll handle them like we have other teams in Norman.

Run De'Marco run. Cut back Brown will run wild this week and Madu will break them in the 4th for the ICING on the cake.

Sam moves to the front of the HEISMAN race as well.

BOOMER