PDA

View Full Version : Point & Shoot Digital Camera Advice

IronSooner
11/16/2008, 06:08 PM
What do you use? I need something to take on trips, shooting landscapes, football games, lots of sunset/sunrise shots, cities at night shots, and probably a good number of portraits and shots of people fairly close-up.

Any advice? Been looking at the Nikon S610, Kodak M1033, and now Sony W150 & W170. I like Nikon's shooting modes and menus, Kodak's simplicity, and Sony's image quality and repeat-photo speed (no waiting). Nikon and Kodak have night modes, but I can't tell that Sony does. Any thoughts? Others I'm missing?

Newbomb Turk
11/16/2008, 06:41 PM
I have a Sony W120 - It has a twilight shooting mode. I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for. It's a pretty good camera, but to be honest my 6 year old 3mp Canon takes just as good of pictures. The Sony is just more compact and is ready to shoot faster.

Cam
11/16/2008, 06:56 PM
I have the Kodak M1033 and really like it. It has tons of shooting modes to choose from and can shoot up to 10 meg sized pics, which is way more than any of us truly need.

IronSooner
11/16/2008, 07:49 PM
I have the Kodak M1033 and really like it. It has tons of shooting modes to choose from and can shoot up to 10 meg sized pics, which is way more than any of us truly need.

I liked the shooting modes on it (what do you use for indoor pics?) but am a little worried about the delay between shots. What do you think?

Cam
11/16/2008, 08:48 PM
I just got it this summer and I haven't used it for indoor too much. When I do, I usually use portrait. The delay between shots can be a little frustrating at times. I usually shoot at 5 meg, so it's not that bad. If I'm going to shoot fast action stuff I'll take my Canon G4 instead.

I got this one cause I wanted a camera I could put in my pocket. Can't do that with the G4.

Sooner5030
11/16/2008, 10:05 PM
I upgraded to a 8 mega Sanyo Xacti Digital movie camera (waterproof). It's not that much larger than my point and shoot camera but offers better video and I can take it snowboarding too. Got it for around 450,000 WON ($1=1300 WON).

SoonerInFla
11/17/2008, 09:34 AM
I know little about cameras but got some help from a friend here at work and ordered this Canon SX110.

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNPSSX110S

I was also looking at the NikonS610.
The Canon has 9MP and 10X Optical zoom for 25 bucks more. I wanted the extra zoom. The only drawback I found is that the Canon uses AA batteries but I got the kit which will add 4 rechargeable batteries.

nmsoonergirl
11/17/2008, 10:54 AM
I have the Canon A620..nice because it has a point and shoot auto mode, but you can also play quite around a bit with the settings if you want. It's a little on the large size for a pocket camera, but doesn't take up much room in a bag.

I've had it for several years, so I'm sure there is an upgraded version now.

soonerboomer93
11/17/2008, 10:56 AM
canon's are probably the best point and shoot

if you're buying a camera, you're going to get the best quality buying from a company that's frankly also a glass (lense) maker.

Honestly, I get almost as good a pictures out of my little canon as I do my dslr, and with far less fiddling for picture quality.

I'd look at the powershot SD (digital elph) series with image stabalization. I have a SD800IS that I always carry in my laptop bag. It's been with me to Seattle, Shainghai, Thailand, Manila. I can pull it out, check my the mode and be taking pictures within just a couple seconds.

RacerX
11/17/2008, 11:55 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41J00E0Am1L.jpg

I have one of these and love it. My point and shoot Nikon is the reason I went to Canon.

Takes pretty good video as well.

Viking Kitten
11/17/2008, 12:02 PM
I use a Canon PowerShot SD750 that I like a lot.

The rule of thumb I've always heard is to buy your digital camera from a camera company, not from an electronics company. My parents bought an HP camera that confirmed that rule, total piece of crap. I've also used a Sony I was less than impressed with.

OUfan4life
11/17/2008, 12:20 PM
I use a Canon PowerShot SD750 as well. I really like it and the quality of pictures it takes. IT also has a lot of other fun features. Highly recommend this camera

SoonerJack
11/17/2008, 12:29 PM
My son has a PowerShot SD750 as well and loves it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/17/2008, 03:24 PM
I have a Canon Powershot AS30. It shoots good enough pics, but it just has 5 mpx. I'll probably get something new next summer and it will likely be a Canon or a Nikon.